ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama vs PSU Recruiting

psu_andy

Nov 1, 2021
In 2022, Alabama signed 15 players vs PSU's 5 amongst recruits that were made offers from both teams. This year it is 15 to 0 in favor of Alabama.

For those that follow recruiting more than I do, how big of an issue is this for Penn state to get to the next level?

In 2022, Alabama signed 15 players vs PSU's 5 amongst recruits that were made offers from both teams. This year it is 15 to 0 in favor of Alabama.

For those that follow recruiting more than I do, how big of an issue is this for Penn state to get to the next level?
Very big

The best path to recruiting success for PSU remains in PA, plus NJ, OH occasionally, and the DMV area, with some efforts in FL also. That was the footprint of the very successful 2022 Class.

If I'm not mistaken, PSU efforts in the SEC strongholds of GA and AL in 2023 have not worked out, with a good number of de-commits.

IMO, we're looking at very successful 2023 and 2024 seasons on the field, which may increase PSU's favor with national recruits. But first, win the home state and nearby states.

PSU needs to concentrate on their 300 mile radius and dominate that area before venturing into southern and western waters.... They can win enough in that territory.
Nope. Too restrictive, especially since Pa quality has declined. They need to scour the country side to get what they can. Getting even two or three top players can have a dramatic impact.

Of course, don’t pursue anyone that you don’t have a shot with. Interview the players at depth to see who may be a real chance. Some kids may have family that are alum. Others may just like Franklin or a particular assistant. Maybe a couple just want to play at the Beav, in white outs, massive crowds, love the uniforms and style/approach here. One never knows what triggers a kid.

The best path to recruiting success for PSU remains in PA, plus NJ, OH occasionally, and the DMV area, with some efforts in FL also. That was the footprint of the very successful 2022 Class.

If I'm not mistaken, PSU efforts in the SEC strongholds of GA and AL in 2023 have not worked out, with a good number of de-commits.

IMO, we're looking at very successful 2023 and 2024 seasons on the field, which may increase PSU's favor with national recruits. But first, win the home state and nearby states.
And Virginia, and occasionally NY/New England..... The roster has some great players from MD and VA right now. Try and dominate the North-East, and supplement from FL, TX and the south when opportunities present themselves.

But in the south, and more than a few times in the North-East, Bama and UGA will battle and win some players from PSU.

I'm at least as much concerned about losing top players in PA such as the WR Harrison to oh-high-ya......

Last edited:
And Virginia, and occasionally NY/New England..... The roster has some great players from MD and VA right now. Try and dominate the North-East, and supplement from FL, TX and the south when opportunities present themselves.

But in the south, and more than a few times in the North-East, Bama and UGA will battle and win some players from PSU.

I'm at least as much concerned about losing top players in PA such as Harrison to oh-high-ya......
In Massachusetts the last several years there have been four or five blue chip recruits per year. Other than freiermuth, we have gotten none. There are a lot of Penn State alums here in Massachusetts but we seem to lose recruits to Notre Dame and Michigan quite often. Need to hit Boston area more I think. We did go after Lewis Cine, But he ended up at Georgia after transferring to IMG

Reactions: bison13
PA/MD/VA/NJ/NY/DE/New England States with some in OH/Mich and a few down in SEC territory will work. But you need the best from the Mid atlantic and New England which we haven't had enough of. The NJ/Philly privates typically dont come to PSU. If we could get more of them then the need for the southern kids would diminish.

Biff's relationship with ST Frances hurt us. We seem to be doing ok at IMG though.

Reactions: royboy
I wonder why we never do well with NJ privates. You are right though. I can’t think of anyone we’ve gotten from those schools ever

In Massachusetts the last several years there have been four or five blue chip recruits per year. Other than freiermuth, we have gotten none. There are a lot of Penn State alums here in Massachusetts but we seem to lose recruits to Notre Dame and Michigan quite often. Need to hit Boston area more I think. We did go after Lewis Cine, But he ended up at Georgia after transferring to IMG
Agreed. We have to do better in the region. we get a lot of good players out of MD and VA. We miss a lot in NJ and NY. Ohio should be better as any kid that doesn't want to play for tOSU (or is left out) should be big on our list. We've done much better in Michigan in the last few years as well. Other than that, I can see TX, FL and AL just because of the number of good kids they feed into the system. tOSU has killed it in TX recently. So, we need to focus more regionally and Eastern USA as a secondary plan. In FL and TX, you will compete with every major program in the nation.

23 composite:

PA has 0 5 stars, 1 top 100, 6 top 300.
NJ has 0 5 stars, 1 top 100, 5 top 300.
MD has 0 5 Stars, 2 top 100, 7 top 300
OH has 0 5 Stars, 1 top 100, 9 top 300. (OSU has 7 of the top 9)
DC has 1 5 star, 1 top 100, 2 top 300.
VA has 0 5 stars, 2 top 100, 3 top 300.

Florida- 9 5 stars, 22 top 100, 57 top 300
Georgia-2 5 stars, 4 top 100, 26 top 300
Alabama- 7 5 stars, 12 top 100, 19 top 300
Texas- 6 5 stars, 18 top 100, 54 top 300
California- 4 5 stars, 8 top 100, 19 top 300

23 composite:

PA has 0 5 stars in this years composite, 1 top 100, 6 top 300.

Yep, gotta recruit more than the region.

23 composite:

Is that an actually very large talent difference, or at least partly attributable to the travel preferences of recruiting guru types?

Texas, Florida State, Florida, and Miami for example have had many recent recruiting classes that were highly ranked, but showed disappointing results on the field.

Is that an actually very large talent difference, or at least partly attributable to the travel preferences of recruiting guru types?

Texas, Florida State, Florida, and Miami for example have had many recent recruiting classes that were highly ranked, but showed disappointing results on the field.
Agree..and these rankings are kind of incestuous. The more offers you get from AL, GA, Clemson, FL, Miami, LSU, TX, Ok, USC, Oregon, W..the higher your ranking. The higher your ranking, the more offers you get. There are always teams like TCU, Baylor and OK St that jump up and substantially outperform their recruiting ranking. But what we see is, a handful of teams simply reload on great recruits.

AL has been on top for 15 years or so, GA has ascended. tOSU has been there but UM is ascending. Clemson, FL, FSU and Miami continue to flounder from previous heights.

But there seems to be more disparity today as we continue to see four or five teams always on top.

NFL draft numbers back it up, especially in terms of 5 stars, when you look at what percentage of players at each ranking get drafted and what % of the draft is made up of each.

When you are recruited to play football first and to hell with real classes, Penn State loses every time.

Reactions: 81b&w and Ward Hog
We did pretty well in Texas lately. Evans saw the field this year and seemed to click with Allar. I don't remember seeing Driver on the field. P Washington started early and had a tremendous career. This should help.

23 composite:

The # of 5 stars per state is surprising, given the populations of the states involved. 2021 estimates of population per state as follows:
Florida 21.8 million
Georgia 10.8M
Alabama 5M
Texas 29.5M
Cali 39.7M
Amazing that there are so many 5 stars in Bama, with it's (relatively) small population.
Plus, PA (13M), NJ (9.3M), MD (6.2M), OH (11.8M) and VA (8.7M) all with zero 5 stars.
Alabama, with a population of 5 million has 7 5 stars, but those 5 states (PA/NJ/MD/OH/VA), with a population of 49 million, have zero 5 stars.
Just seems incredibly statistically unlikely to me.

23 composite:

I thought the general attitude in this chat room was that PSU doesn't want to be like the Ala, Ga., OSU, A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, USC, and Clemson... win at all costs. If that is the case, just win your kingdom. Its no surprise that almost all of the the elite teams, but for O$U, are from those fertile regions

Alabama, with a population of 5 million has 7 5 stars, but those 5 states (PA/NJ/MD/OH/VA), with a population of 49 million, have zero 5 stars.
Rivals seems to like the warm weather players.

Consider in our 2022 class that Drew Allar, Nicholas Singleton, Kaytron Allen, and Abdul Carter were all 4-stars, not 5-stars.

The # of 5 stars per state is surprising, given the populations of the states involved. 2021 estimates of population per state as follows:
Florida 21.8 million
Georgia 10.8M
Alabama 5M
Texas 29.5M
Cali 39.7M
Amazing that there are so many 5 stars in Bama, with it's (relatively) small population.
Plus, PA (13M), NJ (9.3M), MD (6.2M), OH (11.8M) and VA (8.7M) all with zero 5 stars.

This year is high for Alabama. Last year they had 1 5 star in the state. 2021 they had 1, but his name is Kool-Aid so I think it should count for more. 2020 None.

Reactions: CbusLion10
Many southern kids are overrated. Many aren't material for schools that require some level of academic effort (this applies all over) and year round training outside gets them to their peak earlier. Thus, they are already maxed. HS Football is also bigger now down south so more kids means more players. Still need to recruit the south as there is more overall talent. Franklin and staff are good at locating unnoticed diamonds but most blow up and are "convinced" to stay home.

I'm at least as much concerned about losing top players in PA such as the WR Harrison to oh-high-ya......
Michigan has also raided top players from PA/ NJ going back to Chad Henne and more recently the DT Rashan Gary from Jersey. Both would have really helped us....

Michigan has also raided top players from PA/ NJ going back to Chad Henne and more recently the DT Rashan Gary from Jersey. Both would have really helped us....
But a bum whose only interest is solely football will never choose Penn State.

Yep, and most years it seems that UM gets a good player or two from the New England area.

Which sure makes it sweet that PSU has the King brothers and the Safety Reed performing so well given that they are from Michigan..... Also got Buddin from Mich in the 2021 class. Hope PSU can continue to have some success out there, but I believe the assistant coach with ties to Detroit is no longer at PSU.

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm pretty confident in saying that you probably can't win a national championship without being a legitimate national recruiter in today's game. Recruiting locally isn't enough, specifically in the our traditional area which produces a much lower number of top prospects than other areas of the country.
To get to elite status Penn State needs to better close down thier immediate area and gain a little more national traction. You can't go 0-15 against OSU & Bama for guys, you have to win 2-3 of those battles.
You can't let Brian Bresee and Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison and Nolan Rucci and Julian Fleming and leave your back yard you absolutely have to win a couple of those battles if you want to win a national title.

I'm pretty confident in saying that you probably can't win a national championship without being a legitimate national recruiter in today's game. Recruiting locally isn't enough, specifically in the our traditional area which produces a much lower number of top prospects than other areas of the country.
To get to elite status Penn State needs to better close down thier immediate area and gain a little more national traction. You can't go 0-15 against OSU & Bama for guys, you have to win 2-3 of those battles.
You can't let Brian Bresee and Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison and Nolan Rucci and Julian Fleming and leave your back yard you absolutely have to win a couple of those battles if you want to win a national title.
Penn State's recruiting Class of 2022 appears to be elite, championship level.

Can they do it with some frequency is the question.

Reactions: GregInPitt
If you look back the only position franklin hasn't done very well is defensive tackle. I think bringing in more quality DT's will make Penn State an elite team. Trouble is, there are not many out there to recruit I guess.

If you look back the only position franklin hasn't done very well is defensive tackle. I think bringing in more quality DT's will make Penn State an elite team. Trouble is, there are not many out there to recruit I guess.

Outside of Trace (jury is out on Drew) he hasn’t brought in that difference maker at QB. Things would be very different if he’d managed to hold onto fields.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Florida 21.8 million
Georgia 10.8M
Alabama 5M
Texas 29.5M
Cali 39.7M
Three quarters of our board buys into that propaganda. South slanted for stars. I'd rather concentrate my efforts into Texas, and midwest linemen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT