ADVERTISEMENT

All the haters were just waiting for this type of game…

a) every year is different
b) 2020 shouldn't be considered for anything other than how teams deal with a global pandemic (which hopefully won't come up again)

Very, very unlikely.

Being in the minority doesn't make me wrong.

I disagree with this assertion. Maybe this is what casual fans think, but people who actually know football know he's one of the best coaches in the game (he frequently makes those lists).

Also disagree. One conference championship, three 11 win seasons etc are all perfectly acceptable outcomes. And, your a Letterman now? Cool. Please provide your year of graduation and position.

I strongly disagree with this statement. You don't speak for "most fans"

Again, STFU.
Shame, shame…just because you are wrong is no reason to lash out with hostility.

Reactions: Parkerdam555
This was never gonna be the year we competed for a championship. However, we had a nice start to the season and some of us fans got excited. It was an utterly dismal performance today. Without a doubt.

That said, I’d still rather be a fan who gets excited when his team has a good start to the season, than a negative, miserable, unhappy “fan” who just lives their life waiting for and expecting the other shoe to drop.

I really have pity for these so-called, “fans”, who, if PSU won every game by a score of 28-3, they’d bitch about PSU not being able to score 30 or shut out their opponents.

What a sad, pathetic existence.

WE ARE!!!

Totally opposite. Do you really think there are a whole bunch of "hater" fans out there waiting for PSU to lose... lmfao.... It's a silly premise.

Totally opposite. Do you really think there are a whole bunch of "hater" fans out there waiting for PSU to lose... lmfao.... It's a silly premise.
There are definitely "fans" that take the worst possible read of everything. Everything is gloom and doom. Combine this with unrealistic expectations ("PSU should go 15-0 every year!!! Durrr....") and there are some very frustrating individuals out there.

This is not unique to the PSU fan base, FWIW.

Reactions: NittanyChris
There are definitely "fans" that take the worst possible read of everything. Everything is gloom and doom. Combine this with unrealistic expectations ("PSU should go 15-0 every year!!! Durrr....") and there are some very frustrating individuals out there.

This is not unique to the PSU fan base, FWIW.
A lot of fans have concluded that Franklin is not up to the challenge.

That’s a rational conclusion.

Some fans also could have accepted that we were unable to compete with OSU.

But now Michigan, having seemingly gotten their shit together, is making us look like the odd man out.

I think a lot of more rational fans disagree with that conclusion.
I disagree.
And there are also fans who think the failure to win a National Championship every year means our coaching staff is failing. It's just mind bogglingly disconnected from the reality of college football.
But now Michigan, having seemingly gotten their shit together, is making us look like the odd man out.
Michigan has been good for exactly a year and a half. Those fans need to settle down and remember that PSU had them beat last year if not for a very lucky long pass play late in the 4Q. If Michigan somehow rises to the perennial success of OSU, then maybe be concerned (although switching coaches won't fix the problem) but pump the breaks on Michigan being good every year forever and ever.

This was embarrassing for sure. Problem is we could rebound and go 9-3 or even 10-2. Why is that a problem? It doesn't solve the problem we have of not being a physical, tough team that wins on both sides of scrimmage against top 20 teams. Yet, 10-2 will keep Franklin going despite him falling further and further behind the only two teams relevant in the B10.
penn state's team was not built to play against road grader teams like michigan. Add to the mix that the defense was in the wrong place too often and you get saturday's result

penn state's team was not built to play against road grader teams like michigan. Add to the mix that the defense was in the wrong place too often and you get saturday's result
One of the reasons football is so cool is that is evolves/change/is cyclical.

The style of football that Michigan is playing was very common in the 70s. Team ran the ball A LOT and just man balled their way past inferior competition. So the teams getting man balled changed their strategy to get quicker/fast and throw the ball all over the field. Being able to score a TD in 1 minute is better than when it takes 6 minutes. Spread offenses and high scoring have been the flavor of the day for of number of years. So thing swing back the other way -- keep the ball away from the high flying offices by running the ball 60 times a game.

There is not ONE correct way to play football, which is why (IMHO) it is the best sport. You can win a lot of different ways and there is an ebb/flow to the game that picks up some teams and casts down others.

True. I think last week was a turning point for many. It’s not just that they lost but how they lost- so inept and not competitive despite 2 weeks to prepare.

I think many have now turned the corner and have come to the conclusion that Franklin is not the coach to get to the next level.

I can lash out however I like. Go fornicate with yourself.
Alrighty then…are you like 5 years old?…you seem like someone who lives in an echo chamber…someone challenges your beliefs and a lot of hostility comes hurtling out…peace dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUEngineer89
True. I think last week was a turning point for many. It’s not just that they lost but how they lost- so inept and not competitive despite 2 weeks to prepare.

I think many have now turned the corner and have come to the conclusion that Franklin is not the coach to get to the next level.
After 9 years, I think most believe that is a rationale conclusion. Count me along them.

Reactions: crm114psu and psu00
Alrighty then…are you like 5 years old?…you seem like someone who lives in an echo chamber…someone challenges your beliefs and a lot of hostility comes hurtling out…peace dude.
Yes, you caught me. I'm a 5 year old with internet access who knows the word fornicate. You can't handle someone actually pushing back against your negative Nancy BS with actual facts and well reasoned opinions. Take a break from the internet dude. It's not for you.

It's still shocking to me that fans are upset at a 5-1 start when many of you same people were predicting 3-3. Just unreal.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Yes, you caught me. I'm a 5 year old with internet access who knows the word fornicate. You can't handle someone actually pushing back against your negative Nancy BS with actual facts and well reasoned opinions. Take a break from the internet dude. It's not for you.
Your arguments are not well reasoned.

They're the intellectual gymnastics of someone who just cannot accept that what he thought was true, is not true.

Franklin is not a good coach.

They're the intellectual gymnastics of someone who just cannot accept that what he thought was true, is not true.

I've proven again and again that Franklin is better than any coach PSU could reasonably get. If you want to say he isn't a good coach, that's your opinion (the facts say otherwise), but there is no replacement for him that is an upgrade.

Just some more people agreeing with me:

Since this is behind a paywall, this article ranks the 12 smartest coaching hires of the past 12 years.

James Franklin is #2 behind only Luke Fickell.

Not at all. I admire the spirited defense. But your stance reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

Heck, even Franklin apologist Mashall23 has been almost totally silent. Deep down, he knows a through AW when he sees one. But he is too stubborn to admit he is wrong.

I just see no need for juvenile -calling.

Maybe Franklin should hire you to give the boys a pre-game speech. He would be thrilled to see someone is still so strongly in his corner.

It's still shocking to me that fans are upset at a 5-1 start when many of you same people were predicting 3-3. Just unreal.
Outside of that sucky school in Alabama, what win impressed you? Am I happy at 5-1? Not really considering the play against NW, PU, and CM. We could have been easily 3-3 right now.

I've proven again and again that Franklin is better than any coach PSU could reasonably get. If you want to say he isn't a good coach, that's your opinion (the facts say otherwise), but there is no replacement for him that is an upgrade.
I disagree. A lot of very good/great coaches out there regardless of CJF buyout. I am willing to bet you $200 that CJF ain’t here for the 2028 season.

Not at all. I admire the spirited defense. But your stance reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

Heck, even Franklin apologist Mashall23 has been almost totally silent. Deep down, he knows a through AW when he sees one. But he is too stubborn to admit he is wrong.

I just see no need for juvenile -calling.

Maybe Franklin should hire you to give the boys a pre-game speech. He would be thrilled to see someone is still so strongly in his corner.
There's a couple people MIA right now

Reactions: psu00
Bowl games are irrelevant to all--see the kids that sit out. They literally just go for the free stuff. Tell me the meaning of two 5-7 teams playing in a bowl...
You must not have played a sport. The kids want to play, only the best sit out. Can’t blame someone not wanting to lose millions.

You must not have played a sport. The kids want to play, only the best sit out. Can’t blame someone not wanting to lose millions.
Played sports at a very high level
Not once was I asked to play a game comparable to a meaningless bowl game at any level.

Played sports at a very high level
Not once was I asked to play a game comparable to a meaningless bowl game at any level.
So why do high school players have playoffs. Pop Warner, little league, etc. College is no different, kids want to play, I would even say the kids the opt out want to play. The risk isn’t worth it financially.

So why do high school players have playoffs. Pop Warner, little league, etc. College is no different, kids want to play, I would even say the kids the opt out want to play. The risk isn’t worth it financially.
Bowls aren't a playoff. Playoffs are meaningful. Bowls aren't

This was never gonna be the year we competed for a championship. However, we had a nice start to the season and some of us fans got excited. It was an utterly dismal performance today. Without a doubt.

That said, I’d still rather be a fan who gets excited when his team has a good start to the season, than a negative, miserable, unhappy “fan” who just lives their life waiting for and expecting the other shoe to drop.

I really have pity for these so-called, “fans”, who, if PSU won every game by a score of 28-3, they’d bitch about PSU not being able to score 30 or shut out their opponents.

What a sad, pathetic existence.

WE ARE!!!
FJF. That stands for Fire James Franklin. 9 + years of mediocrity. His offensive system is not good. Many coordinators, gone, but the problem is him. Nice rah rah guy who is a decent recruiter, but squanders talent with below average game day coaching. FJF

I disagree. A lot of very good/great coaches out there regardless of CJF buyout. I am willing to bet you $200 that CJF ain’t here for the 2028 season.
Too far away to make a bet, but I will bet that PSU makes the CFP under CJF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT