ADVERTISEMENT

Any way to disable the Rivals video screen that shows up on this board?

ComputerAnger05.gif~c200

It often causes my browser to "go wild" and use up quite a bit of memory and CPU time in what looks like a runaway process--sometimes even locking it up.

I know people think they are clever for suggesting ad blocker, but not everyone has the option to change the settings.
True. I'm not allowed, for example, to add any software at work to my computer--so I cannot add an ad blocker.

I know people think they are clever for suggesting ad blocker, but not everyone has the option to change the settings.

I don't believe people think they're "clever" for suggesting it - they're just suggesting it b/c it's the only thing that works. If you're not able to add software or add a browser extension there's nothing you can do. Complaining to Rivals to get them removed will get you nowhere.

And for those that aren't allowed to change software on a work computer, well, and I mean this with no offense, if your company is that strict on IT it's probably best for you not to be on this site on your work computer. Check in on your phone during a break or whatever.

Drives me nuts if I am streaming music on my phone it always stops the music to play the stupid rivals window. Making me come to this board less often because of it.
I was having this problem as well. Majority of the time I'm on my cell phone when I use rivals. I downloaded an ad blocker and it worked great. Also when that video was constantly streaming it really seemed to jump up my data usage.

I don't believe people think they're "clever" for suggesting it - they're just suggesting it b/c it's the only thing that works. If you're not able to add software or add a browser extension there's nothing you can do. Complaining to Rivals to get them removed will get you nowhere.

And for those that aren't allowed to change software on a work computer, well, and I mean this with no offense, if your company is that strict on IT it's probably best for you not to be on this site on your work computer. Check in on your phone during a break or whatever.

That's the question though. Not, "hey can I add ad blocker?" The question is whether there is a way to disable the video on Rivals. Sure, some people don't know about ad blocker, but that doesn't disable the video, it blocks it.

And while I REALLY appreciate your advice on whether or not to be on this website, like most people I'll make that decision myself.

LdN

You're right on all fronts. We're on a free site. Complaining to Rivals will get you nowhere for several reasons. First, we're on a free site. Second, advertising is likely required to keep it free at all. Third, Rivals is owned by Yahoo, which is a struggling company and has essentially become an advertising train wreck. Anybody been to yahoo finance lately? Dear God it's terrible!!!! Some financial news mixed with Geico ads and links to gossip sites.

And ad blocker is great. But if you read the Ts&Cs, you're signing up for someone to track all the content on your screen. So in addition to controlling what garbage people can download and install on their computers, companies are also trying to control what can watch the activity on their work stations.

Sorry for the rant. I'm a little cranky this morning.

Actually not only does Adblocker help a lot on here but there are many websites that it actually makes possible to follow.

I am surprised it is free to be honest. Hopefully it stays that way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT