ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody following "lost in space"?

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Two astronauts launched via Boeing's new rocket and are now stranded as Boeing has had many problems getting the second rocket up to retrieve them from ISS. They are now saying it could be February before they can get back. NASA is working with Musk's SpaceX to come up with a plan to get them earlier.

wAqeT2.gif

Two astronauts launched via Boeing's new rocket and are now stranded as Boeing has had many problems getting the second rocket up to retrieve them from ISS. They are now saying it could be February before they can get back. NASA is working with Musk's SpaceX to come up with a plan to get them earlier.

wAqeT2.gif
I saw that on the news. Are they OK with food & water? Is it possible to resupply them? I know very little about how all this works.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I saw that on the news. Are they OK with food & water? Is it possible to resupply them? I know very little about how all this works.
They are fine. The issue is the control thrusters on Boeing module. They failed just before docking and NASA/Boeing are still working on solution.

Boeing claims it is safe. NASA doesn’t believe them for some reason🤷🏻‍♀️

Will probably return in February in a SpaceX capsule.

The Boeing capsule will probably be returned on autopilot and see if it functions properly.

I think NASA should pay the the stranded astronauts the current IRS mileage ate of $.67/mi for being inconvenienced then sue Boeing to reimburse the agency.. That's around $17K an orbit for each one of them.

Reactions: 81b&w

wAqeT2.gif
Yes, NASA sent them to test things and it really went wrong. I'd sure be leary about returning in that same spacecraft. Musk will have to rescue them. I guess that moon mission is on hold for awhile. They should send the spacecraft back without any people in it, much too risky to send the astronauts back in a spacecraft with major maneuvering issues.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Yes, NASA sent them to test things and it really went wrong. I'd sure be leary about returning in that same spacecraft. Musk will have to rescue them. I guess that moon mission is on hold for awhile. They should send the spacecraft back without any people in it, much too risky to send the astronauts back in a spacecraft with major maneuvering issues.
They have a problem bringing them back on SpaceX. Seems the spacesuits are “ not compatible”. My guess is that how they connect to the command module is different….. like an IPhone plug vs Android.

Another issue may be software problems. Knowing Musk, their software is completely different. How to monitor vitals, control temp, pressure, oxygen.

And suits are custom made to each astronaut do they just can’t take two out of the SpaceX walkin closet anf fly them up.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
There was a time where this would be the ongoing #1 story on the planet. While I have kept moderately abreast, honestly- beyond the safety of the astronauts- I don't find it that compelling.

I turn 59 mañana- so I was part of the crowd that had the Big Jim Space Capsule and other similar toys as a kid. My bride and I saw an Apollo 13 pre screening when we lived in Manhattan- such a great movie.

So why am I blasè? I guess a combo of NASA overload- kids in school sporting NASA clothes like we wore Izod shirts in the 79s. Pretty much every clique has a way to fit it into their wardrobe. Plus Musk overload. Love him or hate him- I'd likely be following more closely if HE were on board. Maybe next time????

Wow. They’ll be stuck until February of 2025.

Going to attempt to bring back the Boeing capsule next month. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

A big issue is that the problems are with the thrusters that are in the final stage that will be jettisoned and then burned up during re-entry. Meaning they will never be able to study it and determine exactly what the problems are.

Boeing capsule returned to earth last night and appears it functioned just fine.

Boeing said it was safe but NASA wasn’t so sure and wanted to be safe. Wonder how much Boeing’s issues with passenger planes impacted NASA’s confidence?

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Reactions: voltz99

wAqeT2.gif
I believe Dr Zachary Smith is Lando’s great grandpa.

After review, more issues... this time another thruster and guidance system. Flight next year may be unmanned.

From what I read the problem with the thrusters is that if they fire repeatedly they get hot. Then the O ring seals expand too much and restrict the flow of the fuel.

From what I read the problem with the thrusters is that if they fire repeatedly they get hot. Then the O ring seals expand too much and restrict the flow of the fuel.

The problem with the way Boeing is currently set up is there's a bean counter saying let's just get rid of them to solve the problem. What could go wrong?

The problem with the way Boeing is currently set up is there's a bean counter saying let's just get rid of them to solve the problem. What could go wrong?
I've worked in Tech all my life. I've noticed the worst thing a tech company can do is to hire a bean counter for CEO. They run the business by the spreadsheets and have ZERO vision for the future. In tech, the world moves so incredibly fast you must run the company by the strategic vision of the products. If not, you just circle the drain like GE did.

Reactions: Ski
I've worked in Tech all my life. I've noticed the worst thing a tech company can do is to hire a bean counter for CEO. They run the business by the spreadsheets and have ZERO vision for the future. In tech, the world moves so incredibly fast you must run the company by the strategic vision of the products. If not, you just circle the drain like GE did.

False. The problem is Boeing needed a real bean counter. I actually offered assistance a few years back.

Boeing was pushing DEI bs which is a failure. Qualified people dont need DEI quotas to get hired.

Boeing was also offering too many options which hurts mass production. The fact that Boeing was building a ship for NASA was a problem. Let NASA build their own damn ship and Boeing should concentrate on their bread and butter.

Just a few years ago Boeing was offering over 100 different shades of white. WTF. They have a monopoly. Eliminate all the BS color options. Raise the price, charge for the option and offer ONE color. Streamline production.

Maybe you should be talking about NASA production problems. Why do they need Boeing?

False. The problem is Boeing needed a real bean counter. I actually offered assistance a few years back.

Boeing was pushing DEI bs which is a failure. Qualified people dont need DEI quotas to get hired.

Boeing was also offering too many options which hurts mass production. The fact that Boeing was building a ship for NASA was a problem. Let NASA build their own damn ship and Boeing should concentrate on their bread and butter.

Just a few years ago Boeing was offering over 100 different shades of white. WTF. They have a monopoly. Eliminate all the BS color options. Raise the price, charge for the option and offer ONE color. Streamline production.

Maybe you should be talking about NASA production problems. Why do they need Boeing?
Boeing has a robust space program and has had for decades.

Stock was at $430 in 2019. Now at $160.

How many manned spaceships did they produce the last 5 years?
Stock is down because of major issues in its airline business. Two super max crashes killing hundreds, major issues with the super max was designed and approved, and major issues with its quality control throughout its entire business.

They have been building complex satellites, booster rockets, launch systems, and ballistic systems for decades. Problems with control thrusters has nothing to do with manned vs unmanned flight.

Reactions: PSU4U
Stock is down because of major issues in its airline business. Two super max crashes killing hundreds, major issues with the super max was designed and approved, and major issues with its quality control throughout its entire business.

They have been building complex satellites, booster rockets, launch systems, and ballistic systems for decades. Problems with control thrusters has nothing to do with manned vs unmanned flight.
"Nothing to do with manned vs unmanned.". False. When the ship is manned and it crashes there are millions in lawsuits. Like YOU said the stock is down because of two crashes. The astronauts are stuck in space because nasa did not think they could safely return.

Boeing should get out of the spaceship business. Not enough space travel to turn a profit. Stick to airlines, satelites and defense.

• Haha
Reactions: Nostraduzzi
"Nothing to do with manned vs unmanned.". False. When the ship is manned and it crashes there are millions in lawsuits. Like YOU said the stock is down because of two crashes. The astronauts are stuck in space because nasa did not think they could safely return.

Boeing should get out of the spaceship business. Not enough space travel to turn a profit. Stick to airlines, satelites and defense.
Whatever

Reactions: PSU4U

Wait... thought that giving out contracts to private businesses was more "efficient."

And no, Boeing's quality started to go down hill when they merged with McDonnell Douglas (which already had a poor safety record) with MD management winning out and proceeding to cut costs (farming out more and more of the development/engineering to contractors/subcontractors, etc).

Not a coincidence that Mulally helmed both Boeing and Ford to devastating effects with regard to quality.

Wait... thought that giving out contracts to private businesses was more "efficient."

And no, Boeing's quality started to go down hill when they merged with McDonnell Douglas (which already had a poor safety record) with MD management winning out and proceeding to cut costs (farming out more and more of the development/engineering to contractors/subcontractors, etc).

Not a coincidence that Mulally helmed both Boeing and Ford to devastating effects with regard to quality.

Private business is more efficient. You are assuming NASA will be more efficient. Any proof that NASA will be more efficient? . As is NASA themselves probably dont even think they can do a more efficient job because they opted NOT to build their own craft.

My only priority is Boeing's stock. I don't care of NASA can build a ship or not. I would actually slash the space program. I think it is a waste at this point. If NASA is so valuable then let them self fund and start selling whatever it is they produce of value.

PS. IF NASA missions were actually valuable/profitable then Boeing and other aerospace defense contractors would probably put NASA out of business.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Bethlehem Steel was a great company until they put a bean counter in as CEO. They now no longer exist.

Private business is more efficient. You are assuming NASA will be more efficient. Any proof that NASA will be more efficient? . As is NASA themselves probably dont even think they can do a more efficient job because they opted NOT to build their own craft.

My only priority is Boeing's stock. I don't care of NASA can build a ship or not. I would actually slash the space program. I think it is a waste at this point. If NASA is so valuable then let them self fund and start selling whatever it is they produce of value.

PS. IF NASA missions were actually valuable/profitable then Boeing and other aerospace defense contractors would probably put NASA out of business.
Spoken like a true bean counter……

NASA is the Department of Motor Vehicles of space exploration. There was a need for a govt agency at the time because the private sector couldn't do it. That is no longer the case.

Bethlehem Steel was a great company until they put a bean counter in as CEO. They now no longer exist.
Apple was a tremendous company that always pushed the limit. Until Jobs left and the bean counters took over.

Almost went under……Jobs came back….. the Phoenix was resurrected ……and Apple is once again a global giant continuously pushing the world into the futures.

I caught it on TV last Saturday afternoon at noon on BTN, starred Drew Shelton and Vega Ioane 😂

Private business MAY be more efficient (can't tell me that military contractors are efficient), and if they are, they often cut corners, such as in the private penitentiary biz (where they cut staffing to bone and pay them peanuts, where those imprisoned have died due to the lack of adequate medical care, etc).

Boeing stock was flying high when the powers that be were cutting costs left and right; now all that cost cutting has come back to bite them in a big way (not against cost cutting when it is appropriate and done right, but that hasn't been the case for Boeing ever since the merger with MD).

And sometimes it isn't all about efficiency, particularly when it comes to things like aerospace travel.

Prior to the merger when Boeing was led by engineers, they had great reputation with regard to safety.

First commercial space walk ever. This happened and looks freaky. Quite an advancement in suits

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT