ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else see the "b1g Today" show this afternoon?

A textbook demonstration of how heavily biased the "traditional b1g" is against PSU. The first 15 minutes of the show are dedicated to an Iowa love-fest by all three of the hosts, who unanimously declare that Iowa is the best team in the Conference. And declare their rationale for Iowa over PSU is that Iowa has a "Complete Offense" while PSU's running game has struggled and struggled on 3rd down Conversions.....blah, blah, blah. Then the female host goes on to tell us that she was originally fooled by Iowa having the lowest offensive output of any team in the league, but then figured out that "they only have to go 40 yards on most of their drives due to takeaways....." (the real stat is that they have started 25% of their drives in plus-territory - i.e., opponent side of field). Anyway, she explains that this is why their offensive numbers aren't much better - these short fields have prevented them from racking up huge numbers???? Then she talks about how good their running game is (and is backed up by Howard the traditional b1g homer on the point).... I mean the number of staggeringly dumb things they said which were directly contradictory to what they had just hammered PSU for was staggering! For instance, please do explain how a "short field" (which was grossly exaggerated) would explain why Iowa's Yards Per Rushing Attempt is abysmal and second worst in the Conference at 3.4 ypc (and worse than PSU's ypc average of 3.9)???? Do tell how a short field explains why Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion Rate is again second worst in the b1g (and again slightly worse than PSU's)???

How on earth can these items be hammered on as huge weaknesses for PSU, but not for Iowa, when Iowa's numbers are slightly worse than PSU's in these categories, especially when Iowa's Total Offense is the WORST in the entire Conference at 320 yards per game (and way worse than PSU's Total Offense of 423 ypg)????

Why are you so upset about something we can definitively prove right or wrong by this time next week??? Most of the National media also thinks we’re going to get hammered. Isn’t that a good thing ?????? We control our own destiny in being able to prove them wrong, and the better Iowa looks now, the better we’ll look after we beat them.

For the record, I’ve seen both teams play and I’m scared sh!tless about this game. Iowa will be the first team we play that can actually tackle. As much as I absolutely, positively hate the rule, targeting may be our best friend in this game. Iowa will be BY FAR the most physical team we will have played up to this point.

Reactions: 81b&w
For the record, I’ve seen both teams play and I’m scared sh!tless about this game. Iowa will be the first team we play that can actually tackle. As much as I absolutely, positively hate the rule, targeting may be our best friend in this game. Iowa will be BY FAR the most physical team we will have played up to this point.
Just my .02, but I'll be surprised if they are more physical than Auburn.

Just my .02, but I'll be surprised if they are more physical than Auburn.

I thought Wisconsin was much more physical on defense than Auburn. The refs pulled Auburn out of a couple of jams. Wisconsin beat themselves. We had to beat both Auburn and the officials.

Reactions: BBrown
A textbook demonstration of how heavily biased the "traditional b1g" is against PSU. The first 15 minutes of the show are dedicated to an Iowa love-fest by all three of the hosts, who unanimously declare that Iowa is the best team in the Conference. And declare their rationale for Iowa over PSU is that Iowa has a "Complete Offense" while PSU's running game has struggled and struggled on 3rd down Conversions.....blah, blah, blah. Then the female host goes on to tell us that she was originally fooled by Iowa having the lowest offensive output of any team in the league, but then figured out that "they only have to go 40 yards on most of their drives due to takeaways....." (the real stat is that they have started 25% of their drives in plus-territory - i.e., opponent side of field). Anyway, she explains that this is why their offensive numbers aren't much better - these short fields have prevented them from racking up huge numbers???? Then she talks about how good their running game is (and is backed up by Howard the traditional b1g homer on the point).... I mean the number of staggeringly dumb things they said which were directly contradictory to what they had just hammered PSU for was staggering! For instance, please do explain how a "short field" (which was grossly exaggerated) would explain why Iowa's Yards Per Rushing Attempt is abysmal and second worst in the Conference at 3.4 ypc (and worse than PSU's ypc average of 3.9)???? Do tell how a short field explains why Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion Rate is again second worst in the b1g (and again slightly worse than PSU's)???

How on earth can these items be hammered on as huge weaknesses for PSU, but not for Iowa, when Iowa's numbers are slightly worse than PSU's in these categories, especially when Iowa's Total Offense is the WORST in the entire Conference at 320 yards per game (and way worse than PSU's Total Offense of 423 ypg)????
Last week all three I'd them anointed Maryland's QB as the best ib the B1G. That did not age,well.

I thought Wisconsin was much more physical on defense than Auburn. The refs pulled Auburn out of a couple of jams. Wisconsin beat themselves. We had to beat both Auburn and the officials.
The idea that Wisconsin beat themselves is nonsense. One of Wisc's 2 ints was on a 4th down and, Brisker baited him into that pick. The other int happened as time expired. It was 3rd and 17 from the 32yd line.

You know that isn't happening if Iowa is the golden child this year.

Get ready for a game where we need to beat Iowa and the officials.

But Iowa will need to beat us with their running game. Our secondary is the best ever at PSU. The QB isn't going to beat us by himself. And I'm not sure Iowa's running game is that great
They need Iowa to be undefeated when they meet the winner of the OSU and that other school in B10 championship. They'll do their best to make it happen. The officials will play a large role this weekend, so I am sure we'll get the "best" crew. But, we shall overcome!

Iowa wants this to be low scoring slugfest. Make Clifford make long drives. Stop the run and keep everything in front of them. Ferentz will try some trickery but mainly stay conservative. He'll try a fake punt or field goal, try to block a punt and run some crazy fleeflicker, but he wants Clifford to throw a pick or two, target Lee to fumble, pickup 13 - 17 easy points and sit on it for a low scoring win. His D is really good. He doesn't want to need an O. We will either play Iowa's game like we did the first half in Wisky or go for it aggressively. I hope we go for it, but within reason.

CJF is directly over the (BTN) target.

BTN is irrelevant when it comes to Penn State Football. I’ll watch Paul Finebaum before putting on BTN.

Did anyone watch Gerry at BTN setup CJF with the question as to whether James had ever been to another creamery? The question was a complete setup to embarrass James on the air.

There are many other examples we could document. BTN also monitors the boards of Big Ten schools to post outrageous retorts to legitimate facts.

if PS’s administration had any smarts they’d push back or get out of the league.
Wow. Who gives a rip about what talking heads say? Just win the game and shut them up. It’s that simple c

Reactions: Tony '83
Why are you so upset about something we can definitively prove right or wrong by this time next week??? Most of the National media also thinks we’re going to get hammered. Isn’t that a good thing ?????? We control our own destiny in being able to prove them wrong, and the better Iowa looks now, the better we’ll look after we beat them.

You and I must be watching different games. Auburn was plenty physical.

Reactions: royboy and richmin3
Well, the b1g Officials come from this same pool of provincial "traditional b1g" assholes who've hated PSU from their first b1g game in 1993. But according to many of the loudmouth poser fans on this board, the b1g isn't biased in regards to PSU.... and even if they were it makes no difference.... [insert eyeroll].

What's the over/under on the number of drive killing holds they call on PSU?.... while calling zero on "hold every play" Iowa???
I don't see any reason PSU should even show up in Iowa.

Reactions: icu81222
You and I must be watching different games. Auburn was plenty physical.

I didn't say they weren't physical. I just said they weren't as physical defensively as Wisconsin. We had almost 100 more total yards of offense against Auburn than we did against Wisconsin. Except for a couple of over the top plays, we couldn't do crap offensively against Wisky.

Wisky pushed our defense all over the field between the 20s and outgained us by almost 70 yards. Mellusi outrushed Auburn's Bigsby by almost 20 yards. The Wisky game was called pretty evenly on both sides of the ball. Auburn, on the other hand, was an attempted SEC officiated hose job.

You guys that think that Iowa will be less physical than Auburn haven't watched Iowa play. Think more along the lines of Wisconsin, with a FAR superior secondary.

I hope I can come on here Sunday morning and say you guys were all right and I was wrong. 🙂

I didn't say they weren't physical. I just said they weren't as physical defensively as Wisconsin. We had almost 100 more total yards of offense against Auburn than we did against Wisconsin. Except for a couple of over the top plays, we couldn't do crap offensively against Wisky.

Wisky pushed our defense all over the field between the 20s and outgained us by almost 70 yards. Mellusi outrushed Auburn's Bigsby by almost 20 yards. The Wisky game was called pretty evenly on both sides of the ball. Auburn, on the other hand, was an attempted SEC officiated hose job.

You guys that think that Iowa will be less physical than Auburn haven't watched Iowa play. Think more along the lines of Wisconsin, with a FAR superior secondary.

I hope I can come on here Sunday morning and say you guys were all right and I was wrong. 🙂
You need to take into account more than just stats. Against Wisconsin, it was the first game of the year, on the road while rolling out a brand new offence against a very good defense. We gained one 1st down and 38 yards in the first half. After settling in and making some half time adjustments, Penn State put 259 yds and 10 - 1st downs on Wisconsin at, an 8.9 yard per play avg, in the 2nd half.

You need to take into account more than just stats. Against Wisconsin, it was the first game of the year, on the road while rolling out a brand new offence against a very good defense. We gained one 1st down and 38 yards in the first half. After settling in and making some half time adjustments, Penn State put 259 yds and 10 - 1st downs on Wisconsin at, an 8.9 yard per play avg, in the 2nd half.

Be honest. Which game did you think we had more chance of losing.

A Wisconsin TD and extra point beats us. An Auburn TD and 2 point conversion doesn’t. Both teams had the ball in our territory at the end with no time outs.

Wisconsin, for the most part, had been controlling our offense all day. We were able to move the ball much better against Auburn.

Wisconsin, for the most part, had been controlling our offense all day. We were able to move the ball much better against Auburn.
Come on. Did you even read this previous response or remember the 2nd half?

Reactions: BBrown
CJF is directly over the (BTN) target.

BTN is irrelevant when it comes to Penn State Football. I’ll watch Paul Finebaum before putting on BTN.

Did anyone watch Gerry at BTN setup CJF with the question as to whether James had ever been to another creamery? The question was a complete setup to embarrass James on the air.

There are many other examples we could document. BTN also monitors the boards of Big Ten schools to post outrageous retorts to legitimate facts.

if PS’s administration had any smarts they’d push back or get out of the league.
For a guy that doesn't watch BTN, you sure do have a lot of anti-BTN news/insight :eek:

Several people have asked who cares what BTN says
It influences recruiting
It influences the other media (see above)
It influences fans to a negative outlook on PSU
Meanwhile, puffing up teams which do not deserve it ( see Terps)

It influences recruiting

Not enough people watch the BTN for it to influence anything except for Chewie's blood pressure.

I am not sure I would consider this textbook anti-PSU bias. Iowa is the new kid on the block in terms of being near the top of the polls. It's a 'better' story from a national perspective. Beat them this weekend and Iowa goes back to being, well, Iowa.

Come on. Did you even read this previous response or remember the 2nd half?

“Come on. Did you even” watch the games??? We were in FAR more deep sh!t against Wisconsin.

There was literally NO CHANCE on Auburn’s last drive that they could beat us in regulation, and we pretty much had the game under control. On the other hand, we were pretty much hoping for Wisconsin to beat themselves the whole game, and they very well could have beaten us on their last drive. They had been controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball all day long. Turnovers and bad QB play killed them.

Iowa will be more like Wisconsin with a much better secondary, and a much more efficient offense. We better be ready to buckle up. Iowa has mentally and physically broken a couple of pretty good QBs this year.

On the other hand, we were pretty much hoping for Wisconsin to beat themselves the whole game, and they very well could have beaten us on their last drive. They had been controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball all day long.

Wisconsin had a much better first half than we did offensively, but they didn't score a point to show for it. I wouldn't call it domination, but we were getting beat off the ball.

Second half, we adjusted. We moved the ball much better. 2 punts in the second half, one of which was after an INT where we were just trying to eat clock.

It wasn't pretty, but it was a low scoring, flip the field game where we depended on our defense until halftime.

We left with the win and have improved every week since. Going on the road to Iowa, we are likely to play a similar style, albeit different things should be open. Wisconsin came at us with a 3-4 and used blitz's and stunts. Iowa likely sits back more and dare us to run vs taking it away.

Additionally, our staff likely thought Mertz was the AA caliber thrower he'd been praised as. We respected him and kept everything in front of us.

My point: things are different. Iowa is different. It's going to be a tough game. I don't think Wisconsin is much of an equation to consider now. Particularly how they look now. That's a defeated team that has played 3 top 15 teams already.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
“Come on. Did you even” watch the games??? We were in FAR more deep sh!t against Wisconsin.

There was literally NO CHANCE on Auburn’s last drive that they could beat us in regulation, and we pretty much had the game under control. On the other hand, we were pretty much hoping for Wisconsin to beat themselves the whole game, and they very well could have beaten us on their last drive. They had been controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball all day long. Turnovers and bad QB play killed them.

Iowa will be more like Wisconsin with a much better secondary, and a much more efficient offense. We better be ready to buckle up. Iowa has mentally and physically broken a couple of pretty good QBs this year.
Buffalo Lion is very wise ;-). This is a true statement IMO as I've watched every Iowa game (obviously) and every Wisconsin game (my wife is a Wisconsin grad):

"Iowa will be more like Wisconsin with a much better secondary, and a much more efficient offense."

Iowa's back 7 is better than Wisconsin's but Wisconsin's front 7 is a little better than Iowa's (our DL is young and improving but not to the level of Wisconsin in terms of run stuffing). I think PSU may fair a little better running than against Wisconsin, but on the flip side, you won't be able to exploit the secondary in the passing game as much.

I said this at the start of the 2nd half of the Wisconsin vs PSU game - "I don't think PSU will ever get near the endzone the way Wisconsin is stuffing them". On queue Clifford hits on a big chunk TD pass, LOL, and I'm in dutch with the wife. Little advice ... don't say that sh*t out loud when your wife's team is playing ;-).

Iowa's back 7 is better than Wisconsin's but Wisconsin's front 7 is a little better than Iowa's (our DL is young and improving but not to the level of Wisconsin in terms of run stuffing). I think PSU may fair a little better running than against Wisconsin, but on the flip side, you won't be able to exploit the secondary in the passing game as much.

Just for clarification...

Iowa secondary better than Wisconsin

Wisconsin DL better than Iowa

What about the LBs? They are part of the front 7 and back 7, no? Just curious what you think.

Just for clarification...

Iowa secondary better than Wisconsin

Wisconsin DL better than Iowa

What about the LBs? They are part of the front 7 and back 7, no? Just curious what you think.
Tough to call because Wisky uses 4 and 2 of them are like mini DEs where as Iowa uses 2 regular LBs (Campbell and Benson) and then they are either in the CASH (4-2-5) with Belton (hybrid Safety/Corner) or in a more traditional 3 LB set with Jacobs who is a rising star (sophomore out of Ohio who picked Iowa over OSU). The schemes are so different. But I think it is a wash IMO both LB sets are really good ...

Reactions: lazydave841
What's up, guys? I come in peace. All of the speculation is stupid. Looking forward to seeing how the game plays out. I could definitely see this as a split series between this week's game and the one in December.

Tough to call because Wisky uses 4 and 2 of them are like mini DEs where as Iowa uses 2 regular LBs (Campbell and Benson) and then they are either in the CASH (4-2-5) with Belton (hybrid Safety/Corner) or in a more traditional 3 LB set with Jacobs who is a rising star (sophomore out of Ohio who picked Iowa over OSU). The schemes are so different. But I think it is a wash IMO both LB sets are really good ...

Wisconsin LBs caused a lot of havoc in the first half of the game. Yurcich made some adjustments and while they didn't relent much in the run game we did get the passing game going in the second half.

Your LBs have always been very good tacklers. They take great angles and force a play out of bounds if they can't get the legs.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime

Wisconsin did not push PSU's Defense "all over the field" - you're so full of shit & hyperbole, it isn't even funny. Wisconsin had 365 yards on 95 plays (3.84 yards per play which is lower than Iowa's season YPP - Iowa's Defense is currently #3 in the nation in this stat at 4.11 YPP behind UGa, ISU). Wisconsin had 13 possessions. Wisconsin punted or had the ball for 6 or fewer plays on 8 of the 13 possessions. 7 of Wisconsin's possessions were 5 or fewer plays. 5 of Wisconsin's possessions (40%) were 3-&-Outs. Give me a f'ing break with this absurd bullshit that Wisconsin ran the ball up-&up-&-down the field. Complete bullshit.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
It influences recruiting
Really? Who do you think actually watches BTN? I can't think of the last time when I heard anyone in the real world even talk about the BTN and their opinion.

Sorry, just thinking you're vastly overestimating any influence they might possibly have, other than the 40-70+ year old demographic they have some tiny hold on.

Really? Who do you think actually watches BTN? I can't think of the last time when I heard anyone in the real world even talk about the BTN and their opinion.

Sorry, just thinking you're vastly overestimating any influence they might possibly have, other than the 40-70+ year old demographic they have some tiny hold on.
I didn’t estimate anything over or otherwise but somebody is watching or they would not exist.

Be careful what you wish for because if psu beats iowa then they will say we are the best. Of course for btn it is a set up so if osu beats us then they will say they are definitely in the cfp.

Be careful what you wish for because if psu beats iowa then they will say we are the best. Of course for btn it is a set up so if osu beats us then they will say they are definitely in the cfp.

PSU could probably run the table and then get dropped from 2nd place to 5th place in the final week.

Hi guys,

I am really looking forward to the game. This is the game that scared me the most this year. I did watch the BIG show, and all accounts are accurate. I (as a Hawk fan) could not believe the amount of time they spent on the Hawks. Maybe it really is because, well....it is not uncommon for PSU to be in this position, while the Hawks just don't see this happen very often. Kind of a good, new story....albeit....over the top.

My concern for this game is in 3 areas.
  • Dotson going Barkley on us (I said this in a prior thread)
  • Clifford's poise and scrambling ability.
  • The fact that your D is as good, if not better then ours.
I am so glad that the game is in Kinnick. But for cripes sake, your boys have won the last three at our place. UGH!!

Good luck and lets hope that no matter what happens....we meet in the BIG Championship!!!

Wisconsin did not push PSU's Defense "all over the field" - you're so full of shit & hyperbole, it isn't even funny. Wisconsin had 365 yards on 95 plays (3.84 yards per play which is lower than Iowa's season YPP - Iowa's Defense is currently #3 in the nation in this stat at 4.11 YPP behind UGa, ISU). Wisconsin had 13 possessions. Wisconsin punted or had the ball for 6 or fewer plays on 8 of the 13 possessions. 7 of Wisconsin's possessions were 5 or fewer plays. 5 of Wisconsin's possessions (40%) were 3-&-Outs. Give me a f'ing break with this absurd bullshit that Wisconsin ran the ball up-&up-&-down the field. Complete bullshit.

Why so upset? Sounds like you agree with me. Iowa will be the most physical and best overall defensive team we have seen up to this point.

Actually, I was comparing Wisconsin's physicality and defense to Auburn's. Clifford had all day to throw against Auburn. Their pass rush sucked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT