ADVERTISEMENT

Are buckeye players being forced to the portal?

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
I keep hearing more and more about this. Day forced both McCord and Fleming to the portal and there may be a few more...is this common place today? Perhaps that is just the current status of things in 2023?

Day is cleaning house… he will be on the hot seat all year. LJ jr leaving and many hitting the portal. No different than what they do in the SEC every year. It’s called culling the herd.

Day is cleaning house… he will be on the hot seat all year. LJ jr leaving and many hitting the portal. No different than what they do in the SEC every year. It’s called culling the herd.
I believe that...but I am wondering if this is done at Bama or Georgia? I suppose so but it's not obvious. There is no way I believe Hurts was for forced out. Yes he was benched for Tua and then he left, but he left for another CFP program in Oklahoma almost immediately.

I keep hearing more and more about this. Day forced both McCord and Fleming to the portal and there may be a few more...is this common place today? Perhaps that is just the current status of things in 2023?
It’s the way it is today. Franklin will do the same with some of the players. Todays college football world.

So if Ohio State can't get their guy, it's the redshirt freshman then? Can't remember his name but I believe he's a dual threat..not Devin Brown.

It's done everywhere, including Penn State
Sure. But your QB who took you to 11-1 and your top returning wr? Apparently they feel like the guys that played mop up are going to be better. Tate looks the part, but I haven't seen the others ..but I am sure they will be great. Again though, Marvin Harrison Jr is not walking through that door anymore than CJ Stroud was, and we saw the difference between CJ Stroud and McCord on the field. I don't know, but I'm keeping them and if my kids are better then they prove it, I don't have enough of a sample size yet. Drew Allar has 5 times the arm of Sean Clifford and if Sean Clifford was the guy this year we are beating one of those two losses.

There’s absolutely players that are “asked” to transfer. I’m skeptical that McCord or Fleming are in that class though as much as they just aren’t being guaranteed anything (including the level of NIL money they think they are worth) and tOSU isn’t worried if they leave because they think they’ll have someone better.

But I’m sure they’d be perfectly happy to have McCord on the bench next year if that’s how it plays out.

An OSU recruiting site said McCord and his dad met with Day last week and wanted some type of assurance McCord would be the starter next year. Day made no promises. Devin Brown is looking at the portal too. The site reported Brown was promised $100K to stick through the bowl game. If Day gets the portal QB he wants. Brown will probably be gone.

Fleming supposedly wanted to be featured as the #1 receiver. Talent-wise he's probably 3 or 4 in the receiver room.

Processing should only be made easier with NIL, you don't even have to kick them off the team, if they don't perform, they lose the faith of the locals...you know, the dealerships and such paying their NIL deals. Pretty easy to see you have fallen out of favor when your paycheck gets lighter. My guess is that O$U will be a MAJOR player in the transfer portal this year. Gene Smith is probably getting all the columbus business's to pony up for a massive NIL wave to attract the best of the best from all over.....need to free up roster spots.

An OSU recruiting site said McCord and his dad met with Day last week and wanted some type of assurance McCord would be the starter next year. Day made no promises. Devin Brown is looking at the portal too. The site reported Brown was promised $100K to stick through the bowl game. If Day gets the portal QB he wants. Brown will probably be gone.

Fleming supposedly wanted to be featured as the #1 receiver. Talent-wise he's probably 3 or 4 in the receiver room.
100K ? That sounds absurd

Behind Tate, yes. But not behind anyone else.

The key from this--if kids aren't told what they want to hear they're going to leave
And not just at Ohio State

Reactions: rrdd2021
Sure. But your QB who took you to 11-1 and your top returning wr? Apparently they feel like the guys that played mop up are going to be better. Tate looks the part, but I haven't seen the others ..but I am sure they will be great. Again though, Marvin Harrison Jr is not walking through that door anymore than CJ Stroud was, and we saw the difference between CJ Stroud and McCord on the field. I don't know, but I'm keeping them and if my kids are better then they prove it, I don't have enough of a sample size yet. Drew Allar has 5 times the arm of Sean Clifford and if Sean Clifford was the guy this year we are beating one of those two losses.

You did not want Clifford last year or the year before. Make up your mind.

You did not want Clifford last year or the year before. Make up your mind.
I didn't blame Michigan on Cliff and if you recall I blamed Manny for running his 2s out there with a 5 point lead and 9 minutes left in the game.

Penn State has got to reduce their roster of this year by 25-30 scholarships. They have 25 freshmen coming in and typically take 5-6 transfers. Do the math. Some kids with eligibility will be encouraged to look elsewhere. Not unusual but in today’s CFB world it’s public now through the portal.

Penn State has got to reduce their roster of this year by 25-30 scholarships. They have 25 freshmen coming in and typically take 5-6 transfers. Do the math. Some kids with eligibility will be encouraged to look elsewhere. Not unusual but in today’s CFB world it’s public now through the portal.
Aren't any players leaving early, out of eligibility etc.?

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
It’s funny, when OSU has players leave it’s because Day is doing what he has to do. When Penn State has guys leave it’s because Franklin can’t hold on to them. Weird how that works.
Stunning in the absolute most unstunning way.

Reactions: dswartz
There’s absolutely players that are “asked” to transfer. I’m skeptical that McCord or Fleming are in that class though as much as they just aren’t being guaranteed anything (including the level of NIL money they think they are worth) and tOSU isn’t worried if they leave because they think they’ll have someone better.

But I’m sure they’d be perfectly happy to have McCord on the bench next year if that’s how it plays out.
Yes! Players get “processed” and it’s been happening for at least 10 years, but no way in hell do you do it to you’re starting QB (even if the job is wide open next year). You may tell him it’s not automatically his job next year.

Yes! Players get “processed” and it’s been happening for at least 10 years, but no way in hell do you do it to you’re starting QB (even if the job is wide open next year). You may tell him it’s not automatically his job next year.
Well actually telling a starter that the job he had is wide open next year is really just a more diplomatic way of telling him he’s probably not starting next year. In today’s college football, that also may mean less NIL money.

Well actually telling a starter that the job he had is wide open next year is really just a more diplomatic way of telling him he’s probably not starting next year. In today’s college football, that also may mean less NIL money.
Absolutely, but doesn’t mean they want McCord to transfer.

Well then they better do one of two things. Call him back into the office and tell him that they were just kidding about that not having a guaranteed starting position thing. Or throw enough NIL his way to make sitting on the bench palatable.

I believe that...but I am wondering if this is done at Bama or Georgia? I suppose so but it's not obvious. There is no way I believe Hurts was for forced out. Yes he was benched for Tua and then he left, but he left for another CFP program in Oklahoma almost immediately.
I have heard stories in the past in the SEC that scholarship players on the low end of the totem pole face real possibility of being shown the door to make room for better talent. And this was before the transfer portal.

In a perfect world, Day would retain McCord through the spring window and let him compete with whatever shiny QB they reel in, Brown, Lincoln K, and the high end true freshman.

If Day told McCord that he isn't the guaranteed starter, yes, I think that is essentially "we're going to the portal and we don't expect you to win".

Day might bring in 2 QBs. At least now he knows what he's up against. Particularly if Brown is talking about leaving.

McCord is the fall guy for Day’s failures a HC against UM. Pretty shitty for a grown man to devalue a young adult to secure his own ass. The ego knows no limits.

Funny how coaches want 4 years from a University to prove they can win with their players. However, the same coaches can’t commit 4 years to their own players. The hypocrisy knows no boundaries.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Funny how coaches want 4 years from a University to prove they can win with their players. However, the same coaches can’t commit 4 years to their own players. The hypocrisy knows no boundaries.
The down side to all of the 4-year commitment stuff - the players don't have to commit 4 years to the university - especially with the looming Portal now - right or wrong. CF has turned into a CIRCUS on all sides

Reactions: Ski
Processing should only be made easier with NIL, you don't even have to kick them off the team, if they don't perform, they lose the faith of the locals...you know, the dealerships and such paying their NIL deals. Pretty easy to see you have fallen out of favor when your paycheck gets lighter. My guess is that O$U will be a MAJOR player in the transfer portal this year. Gene Smith is probably getting all the columbus business's to pony up for a massive NIL wave to attract the best of the best from all over.....need to free up roster spots.
Didn't Gene Smith announce he's retiring soon?

100K ? That sounds absurd
It's absurd because that would be blatantly against the rules, but pay for play is impossible to enforce within the current confines of the NIL rules. Free agency all the time where you have to pay players but they have no obligation to you is an absurd model. I can't wait for players to get contracts, that will at least bring some predictability back into the sport.

McCord is the fall guy for allowing 5 Mich DL to be right in his face when he threw the pick to MH. I thought he was a great QB when watching him this year. He made some incredible throws right on the money this year. Look at that 25 yard throw against ND when ND only rushed 3. Like a laser between 2 defenders on the two YL.

Tell Day to put the onus on the OL who allowed UM's DL to be in McCord's face. UM was smart; they saw how ND failed when rushing 3 and was not going to let that happen again.

It's done everywhere, including Penn State

You are exactly right. In fact, I believe it happens to some position coaches and coordinators.

If we look at the Penn State’s WR roster this season, they had some crazy number like 13+ WRs. With the current extended offers for portal WRs, you can bet there will be some current Penn State WRs who will be politely requested to move on so their scholarships can be used for some badly needed upgrades.

Check out the Ohio State board when you get a chance. You will be hard pressed to find a single Buckeye fan in tears over McCord moving to the portal.

In terms of Fleming, have you looked at his stats over his entire career at Ohio State? They are underwhelming, especially considering Fleming was a former 5 star recruit. In addition, Fleming was a 3rd option at Ohio State his entire career. The Buckeyes have their choice of 5 star WRs waiting to get an offer from them. Fleming was never going to be the guy. He is what he is.

Check out the Ohio State board when you get a chance. You will be hard pressed to find a single Buckeye fan in tears over McCord moving to the portal.

In terms of Fleming, have you looked at his stats over his entire career at Ohio State? They are underwhelming, especially considering Fleming was a former 5 star recruit. In addition, Fleming was a 3rd option at Ohio State his entire career. The Buckeyes have their choice of 5 star WRs waiting to get an offer from them. Fleming was never going to be the guy. He is what he is.
Fleming's biggest CF issue is his health. Seemed like he was always in and out of the lineup. Not sure - maybe a Buckeye can add to this - but I believe one of his shoulders is a constant problem. He's solid when healthy BUT.........

Fleming's biggest CF issue is his health. Seemed like he was always in and out of the lineup. Not sure - maybe a Buckeye can add to this - but I believe one of his shoulders is a constant problem. He's solid when healthy BUT.........
He was healthy for the most this season. He was a beast as at blocking. He just actually was very inconsistent with his catches. He would make a crazy one handed catch, then two plays later drop a gimme. At best he would #3 next season with Carnell Tate and Brandon Inniss ahead of him. Jayden Ballard showed a lot of promise this year and incoming Jeremiah Smith ( if his commitment holds) will be fighting for playing time from day one. Flemming should be able to do well just about anywhere else. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: blair10
For many, the popularity of the sport is becoming more and more about the 'game day experience' or more accurately, the booze and food. Attendance at games continues to go down. As Brett McMurphy stated some time ago, the next major change will come when the players are no longer required to be students. College football will then no longer exist. It will 'officially' become the minor leagues.
And now this week the commissioners are in Washington asking congress to intervene to save the sport at the college level. Saban and others in the SEC are terrified of the Texas oil money.
Too late. The Supreme Court 'let the cat ($$$$$$$) out of the bag'.

What QB does Day want?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT