ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships Session 1 Thread

still can't get video on my desktop, tried 2 different browsers. switched to a laptop and got it. weird.

Suriano with a brace on his right leg. I guess it wasn't just the flu or his dad.

133 - Keener v McKee

141 - NLee v Weaver

149 - ZPain v Doesnt matter

157 - Nolf v Short

165 - Joseph v Wanzek

174 - MHall v Christensen

184 - Bo v Crone

197 - Shak v Chakonis

285 - Nevills v Jennings

I'm looking at the four mats for 125. Is the next couple hours the peak of the college wrestling season? Man, that is some talent on the mats and I think it's going to continue to be that way.

I say that partly because of the feel of this tournament. First round then boom! into heavy concentration in no time flat. It feels so fast and furious.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
Spencer Lee -- wow!! rethinking my pick that Nato wins the B1Gs.

Suriano -- looking beastly; robbed of back points in the 2nd period.

Was just rooting for Keener to hang in a survive the first two periods. McKee always gasses. Nope. Dumped to his back.

Reactions: Lyons212
133: Corey Keener vs. Mitch McKee (Minny)

Per 1
Keener pulls down on McKee's head, nothing. Keener shoots and gets the left leg, stalemate with 1:41 left. McKee gets behind and Keener can elude him, 0-2. Keener out really quick, 1-2. They both shoot, but got OOB. Keener shoots in, gets a leg, and another stalemate with 14 sec. End. RT at 5 sec for McKee.

Per 2
McKee defers, and Keener takes neutral. McKee shoots, Keener sprawls, nothing. Keener tries a throw-by, nothing. McKee throws Keener to his back for 2 + 4, so it's 1-8. Keener tries a shoulder roll, looks for more but settles for the esc, 2-8. Keener in on a double, and gets the TD, 4-8. Nearly got back points. End. RT at 29 sec for McKee

Per 3
McKee takes bottom. Keener cuts him, 4-9. Keener shoots in on a single, McKee tries to counter, they scramble, pretty wild, and stopped for PD with 57 sec left. End. Keener drops a 4-9 decision. One tough move is all it took

Reactions: Dogwelder
Keener is such a strange guy to me. He is saavy. He has good fundamentals. He can get to his office but it seems like he gets to his offense too late. He figures out guys too late.

EDIT - Office = Offense

141: #2 seed Nick Lee vs. Cole Weaver (Indy)

Per 1
Lee shoots off the whistle, nothing. Lee gets in on a leg and behind for a TD, 2-0. OOB. Weaver is out after 12 sec, 2-1. Lee in on the right leg, Weaver sprawls, stall warning on Weaver. Weaver shoots, Lee sprawls, nothing. Lee in on a double for the TD, 4-1. End. RT @ 38 sec for Lee

Per 2
Lee takes bottom. Lee's out in 17 sec, 5-1. Technical violation on Weaver makes it 6-1 Lee. He quickly gets a TD, 8-1. Weaver tries to get a reversal but Lee kicks free so it's an esc, 8-2. Lee tilts him and gets 2 NF, 10-2. End.

Per 3
Weaver takes bottom. Lee gets RT over 1 min, and then Weaver gets an esc, 10-3. RT is 1:15 for Lee. Lee with another TD, 12-3. End. With RT it's a 13-3 major for Lee

Zain vs. Steve Bleise

Picking things up with Zain up 13-0 in the 3rd period, and Zain on top. RT is over 3 min. Zain cuts him with 15 sec, 13-1. Zain in on the legs, nothing, and that's the end. With 4:28 in RT, it's a 14-1 major for Zain

Reactions: Dogwelder
How in the world does Bleise make 149lbs?

He could not have stalled more, though.

141: #2 seed Nick Lee vs. Cole Weaver (Indy)

Per 1
Lee shoots off the whistle, nothing. Lee gets in on a leg and behind for a TD, 2-0. OOB. Weaver is out after 12 sec, 2-1. Lee in on the right leg, Weaver sprawls, stall warning on Weaver. Weaver shoots, Lee sprawls, nothing. Lee in on a double for the TD, 4-1. End. RT @ 38 sec for Lee

Per 2
Lee takes bottom. Lee's out in 17 sec, 5-1. Technical violation on Weaver makes it 6-1 Lee. He quickly gets a TD, 8-1. Weaver tries to get a reversal but Lee kicks free so it's an esc, 8-2. Lee tilts him and gets 2 NF, 10-2. End.

Per 3
Weaver takes bottom. Lee gets RT over 1 min, and then Weaver gets an esc, 10-3. RT is 1:15 for Lee. Lee with another TD, 12-3. End. With RT it's a 13-3 major for Lee
Only following on radio -- trying to figure out how Lee gave up an escape to make it 8-2, then got a 2 point tilt to make it 10-2. How did he get control w/o a TD? Or did the tilt come before he cut him?

Zain needed to cut him about 15 seconds earlier... seems like a few times this tourney the guys rode looking for turns a little longer than I usually remember them doing. Nick Lee looked good. Nolf and Cenzo about to come up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT