ADVERTISEMENT

Best Italian restaurant in Philly's Italian Market area?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
Will be going back there soon for PSU commencement, etc., and am anticipating going down there for a meal. Which restaurant in that area would you say is the best? Palumbos is (I believe) closed. Have been to Ralph's and enjoyed it. Where else?

Also, I have been to Isgro's several times for cannolis and thought they were very good, but was wondering if another bakery might be as good or better.

Will be going back there soon for PSU commencement, etc., and am anticipating going down there for a meal. Which restaurant in that area would you say is the best? Palumbos is (I believe) closed. Have been to Ralph's and enjoyed it. Where else?

Also, I have been to Isgro's several times for cannolis and thought they were very good, but was wondering if another bakery might be as good or better.

Scannicchio's is excellent, need reservations and be aware it is BYOB.

Villa di Roma, accepts walk-ups, but when busy I'd rather have a reservation. Try the Lobster Piccata.

Monsu is amazing!!! So good and cheap especially with a group. I went with about 6 people and we got the Chef's tasting (menu turista). You wont be disappointed.

Chef McAndrews has different restaurants throughout the city. He was also on the Travel Channel with Anthony Bourdain.

Hey LB, google philly magazine top 50 restaurants. They are changing on a yearly basis, lots of food in Philly.

Several pop up on East Passyunk Ave in the neighborhood, you may want to take a look. Also Vetri has a new Italian restaurant delivering great reviews as well.

Dining in Philly is hard to beat.

Reactions: Kmase21

I would recommend Marra’s on Passyunk and 12th. Great food. Everything on the menu is top notch. Termini’s is the bomb for Italian bakery delicacies.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-12+at+1.43.47+PM.png

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Define "Italian Restaurant". Do you want an authentic Trattoria/Osteria? Or, Italian/American? Night and day difference.

If the menu is heavily slanted toward seafood and lamb, odds are you're eating in an authentic Italian trattoria. Otherwise, its just an expensive Carrabbas. I will admit, I am out of the loop.

Google their menus and go from there. See if you can find an American style Trattoria with owners from Puglia or Abruzzo. Sicilians, Napolitani, Calabrese tend to market their food as American (not true Italian).

If they have octopus on the menu, it's probably authentic. But, you may not like authentic.

Lastly, don't forget to say your prayers before eating. God likes that.

Peace be with you.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
Define "Italian Restaurant". Do you want an authentic Trattoria/Osteria? Or, Italian/American? Night and day difference.

If the menu is heavily slanted toward seafood and lamb, odds are you're eating in an authentic Italian trattoria. Otherwise, its just an expensive Carrabbas. I will admit, I am out of the loop.

Google their menus and go from there. See if you can find an American style Trattoria with owners from Puglia or Abruzzo. Sicilians, Napolitani, Calabrese tend to market their food as American (not true Italian).

If they have octopus on the menu, it's probably authentic. But, you may not like authentic.

Lastly, don't forget to say your prayers before eating. God likes that.

Peace be with you.
I think you are referring to the difference between, Northern Italian Foods- beef, veal, etc. and Southern Italian Foods - seafood dishes.

I think you are referring to the difference between, Northern Italian Foods- beef, veal, etc. and Southern Italian Foods - seafood dishes.

Not really. The difference is either more coastal or inland (mountains). Go to the Cinque Terre and their cuisine is mostly seafood. I've eaten Anchovies every possible way you can imagine visiting there. Sure, they have pesto pasta, but their main thing is still seafood.

Liguria

Abruzzo (from the sea to the mountains)

Puglia...

Last edited:
Not really. The difference is either more coastal or inland (mountains). Go to the Cinque Terre and their cuisine is mostly seafood. I've eaten Anchovies every possible way you can imagine visiting there. Sure, they have pesto pasta, but their main thing is still seafood.
You're so sophisticated. Quite the anchovy connoisseur.

Reactions: Kmase21
Villa di Roma, if i recall, cash only. House salad is great, mussels too. Veal siciliano and save some bread to sop up the gravy. Will need to loosen the belt after dinner.

Am a fan. Wrong name, but close == Linguini Vermeil. (will always be a fan of that man).

The South Philly Taproom on S 15 st is a very interestng place but it’s not Italian. They have a great selection of craft beers and unique small plates like head cheese tacos, gizzards and snails, grilled cheese served on top of cream of tomato soup, and for desert a really decadent grilled pp and j sandwich. It was featured on Bizarre Foods TV show. You may feel out of place without tattoos but it’s really good and interesting food in a unique neighborhood joint.

I havent been there but I heard Murph's (Yes Murph's) has really good Italian food but in Fishtown

Reactions: jrl5019

Here's something I do here in JAX, when I speak with immigrants: I ask where they eat?

When I meet a Mexican or Chinese person I want to know where THEY are eating. Find some (ahem) Wiseguys in Philly and find out where THEY eat.

There's your answer.

Agree w monsu
LB,
You've got the right recs at this point. Monsu, Villa Di, Ralphs and Marra’s... in Italian market...

All are great depending on what you’re looking for. If you’ll be in the area and want a cool bar for cocktails before or after I’ll also throw in a quick plug for Stateside. If you want the best RESTAURANT in that area (other han Palizzi social club which is likely not possible), I’d say Laurel but it’s french and it’s probably too South to be called “Italian market” (if so, Marras would be as well.). I’d also say Vetri cucina and Dante and Luigi’s, which are amazing Italian but not technically in Italian market.

Best of luck. Can’t really go wrong.

EDIT: I brain-cramped and wrote Commonwealth instead of Stateside. Corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LafayetteBear
LB,
You've got the right recs at this point. Monsu, Villa Di, Ralphs and Marra’s... in Italian market...

All are great depending on what you’re looking for. If you’ll be in the area and want a cool bar for cocktails before or after I’ll also throw in a quick plug for Commonwealth. If you want the best RESTAURANT in that area (other han Palizzi social club which is likely not possible), I’d say Laurel but it’s french and it’s probably too South to be called “Italian market” (if so, Marras would be as well.). I’d also say Vetri cucina and Dante and Luigi’s, which are amazing Italian but not technically in Italian market.

Best of luck. Can’t really go wrong.

Laurel and Vetri $$$$

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Setting my Sbarro recommendation aside, if you've never been the The Victor Cafe, it's really worth a visit. Not exactly the Italian Market, but just a little south on Dickinson. The waitstaff sings a few opera arias while you eat.

Reactions: Nitwit
I was always

Laurel and Vetri $$$$
I know. But the OP didn't indicate a budget. He only asked "Which restaurant in that area would you say is the best?"

Now he has a spectrum of options and can decide.

Villa di Roma, if i recall, cash only. House salad is great, mussels too. Veal siciliano and save some bread to sop up the gravy. Will need to loosen the belt after dinner.
They have a great dish called Chicken Sicilian. Chicken with mushrooms and peppers in a brown sauce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT