ADVERTISEMENT

Black Knight Invitational 11/19 on Flo

Agree, but that assumes that the other guy is down 6 or 7 points. If MM can really do that consistently against the top guys, great. But MM hasn't yet wrestled against top competition in folk, and that may be a tall order against stout guys who are proficient at slowing things down. Like Amine, for instance.

You may be right, it's just premature to make that claim now. We'll eventually find out.
he just has to keep the pressure on!win or lose he will be fine!

Nah...not about to. Presser was actually OK.

Just to put something to bed, people think I dislike Penn State wrestling. Totally not true, I don't at all. In fact, if I was going to introduce a fan to wrestling, I'd tell them to watch a Penn State dual. My issues with Penn State extends to exactly one person within the program, who is not within Cael Sanderson's chain of command (and certainly is not a wrestler).
Why not tell us who and why he is disliked? WrestlPSU is a total tool that used to post on themat.com. I can get behind that :0)

People are just excited and projecting (like Willie’s Crystal Ball)..nothing wrong with that. If they saying he should be ranked top 5 right now, they don’t know what they talking about. If they saying he will be top 3 or 5 at end of year? I agree..obviously a long time between now and then, but personally I love what I see. Takedowns is name of game now and he’s an artist.

If he falls short of top 5? Won’t be do to lack of effort which is really what I like.
Pish, any idea where Mitchell gets ranked this week?

I’m thinking he goes top 10 Intermat and 25 with Flo. But who the heck knows. If he would have knocked off Fish, I think definetly top 10 Intermat. Not sure how they’ll do it (personally I’d give him credit for beating the guy that beat the guy)

I can’t stand Flo rankings and generally jive with Intermat. Earl knows his shit

Intermat had him 17 last week and Flo he was unranked. He pinned Flos 27 and techd Flos 22 but they won’t give any credit for Fish whereas Earl usually has some common sense

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
I'd like to point something out also, Gary Steen is doing some of the best wrestling I have ever seen him do.

2 TFs last weekend
2 TFs and a major this weekend in addition to a 12-5 win

Once again, not beating world beaters but Gary has never been a "pile points on" kind of wrestler. That Army guy he majored beat both guys that beat Howard last weekend (including by major) so he's definitely not a guy I think Gary would have beaten last year let alone 14-4.

He clearly is better than where he was last year, maybe he was banged up, maybe he was motivated but this is a new Gary.

It's not likely Gary ever starts for PSU again in the postseason but nobody should ever question how bad the kid wants it. Braeden being bonus win level over him (especially with room familiarity) and Howard still being able to beat him is a very good sign. I feel good about 125 room overall this year.

With how volatile 125 is this year, who knows what can happen if we send a guy to NCAAs.

Right. And Fongaro wrestled in that dual only because Rutgers had two duals hours apart that day (Nov 3). Mitch Moore (transfer from Oklahoma) is the Rutgers starter at 141.
Don’t be surprised if fongaro takes the spot by the end of the year , Mitch Moore is the same do absolutely nothing front headlock guy he was 7 yrs ago when he was freshman and Fongaro has potential

It took Cassar 4 matches to knock off the #10 wrestler in the country in his return to the mats.

These Howard to Cassar comparisons are ridiculous.
Cassar came out of his layoff and basically majored Rocco Caywood also, who is no slouch. That gave me a lot less worry about the Hoffman match then yup, he immediately beats Mattiace.

Reactions: dicemen99
Don’t be surprised if fongaro takes the spot by the end of the year , Mitch Moore is the same do absolutely nothing front headlock guy he was 7 yrs ago when he was freshman and Fongaro has potential
Possibly. While I can't argue your assessment of Mitch Moore, Rutgers didn't bring him in to be a backup.

Methinks Davis is not gonna be intimidated by the impending arrival of Lilledahl either.
I wonder which of the two is more likely to grow into 133.
From seeing the clip of LL vs Spencer (I know Lee is a bit short), LL is lankier than I realized.
Some more separation between them and Nagao seems desirable since Aaron has 3 yrs left I think.
Maybe Davis redshirts next yr if Lilledahl takes over 125.
Several ways it can go.
I could see Nagao up at 141 his last year.

if PSU had all their starters they would have won all 10 weights!
It's great for the wrestlers to get some matches in, but, to be honest, the overall quality of competition is a little lacking. Probably good for the starters to stay home if they don't need the work. 125 needs to get some questions answered; Nagao is coming back from injury so needs to shake off the rust and Mesenbrink can use all the work he can get in folkstyle. Can't see much purpose in Bartlett wrestling in the Black Knight.

It's great for the wrestlers to get some matches in, but, to be honest, the overall quality of competition is a little lacking. Probably good for the starters to stay home if they don't need the work. 125 needs to get some questions answered; Nagao is coming back from injury so needs to shake off the rust and Mesenbrink can use all the work he can get in folkstyle. Can't see much purpose in Bartlett wrestling in the Black Knight.
I agree the competition was lacking a bit, but it could have been much, much worse. It could have been the Luther Open!!! Seriously, what in Hell was Iowa thinking with that move???

Well if the 125 guys don't improve on bottom after rolling with nageo then they probably won't. Imagine what practice is like.
Over four matches Nagao gave up 1 escape point against 10 minutes of riding time. Was a bit surprised when the Rutgers kid (who looked like the toughest opponent Nagao faced despite getting tech'd) took bottom in the second. Can't imagine too many will make that mistake this year.

Over four matches Nagao gave up 1 escape point against 10 minutes of riding time. Was a bit surprised when the Rutgers kid (who looked like the toughest opponent Nagao faced despite getting tech'd) took bottom in the second. Can't imagine too many will make that mistake this year.
Devon Britton. Northampton kid, tough as nails. Not unexpected, he's seen he's share of killer riders in his day.

Flo brought him in at 23. Giving him no credit for beating the guy that beat Fish..just like I said the other day. No common sense.

Intermat will be out tomorrow..you’ll see a better more accurate ranking. Flos rankings always suck.

Reactions: Ja1339
Flo brought him in at 23. Giving him no credit for beating the guy that beat Fish..just like I said the other day. No common sense.

Intermat will be out tomorrow..you’ll see a better more accurate ranking. Flos rankings always suck.
intermat had him #17 as of 11/14.

Not sure if he'll move up much -- he hasn't beaten anybody ranked ahead of him (yet), so a move up would be largely attrition. Fish lost (obviously) but was #9, might not drop that far for 1 loss. Too lazy to check if any others lost this week.

intermat had him #17 as of 11/14.

Not sure if he'll move up much -- he hasn't beaten anybody ranked ahead of him (yet), so a move up would be largely attrition. Fish lost (obviously) but was #9, might not drop that far for 1 loss. Too lazy to check if any others lost this week.
Here’s the million dollar question..

Will Intermat give him credit for beating the guy that beat Fish (previous 9)? Or just ignore it like Flo did?

I truly don’t know the answer but I think Intermat will move him up a few spots after Black Knight. I also liked the fact that Intermat used some common sense to have him at 17 in the first place (after they took out Facundo) where as Flo didn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT