ADVERTISEMENT

BoB or Franklin, who's better?

See my other post. He wasn’t being honest when he said he left because of the alleged JoeBots.
You’re kind of avoiding the OP’s question. Your feelings regarding him leaving have little to do with how good a coach he is.

He was honest. The JoeBots,to this day, are a problem and we knew he wanted to coach in the NFL. He did nothing wrong nor were his comments untrue.

Is BC in the NFL? When things got hot in Houston. Bob also leaked a story that he was interested in the Maryland job. Bob wants to be wherever he isn't.

Is BC in the NFL? When things got hot in Houston. Bob also leaked a story that he was interested in the Maryland job. Bob wants to be wherever he isn't.
What are you talking about? He left our job for the NFL. He failed as a GM in the NFL as he wanted too much power. He wants what is best for him. Same as every coach.

What does that have to do with who is a better coach? Franklin quit on Vandy so both

Only one of them quit on Penn state. The other chose psu over vandy. Which should psu fans prefer? If you think they are the same the you probably are not a psu fan.

Which one lost to Ohio bobcats? Which one never won more than 8 games? Who had Gerald Hodges returning punts?

Reactions: 91Joe95
We all realize O'Brien can be the better coach while Franklin is the better fit for Penn State right?

Like Saban is infinitely better than most coaches but the Dolphins were better with without him.

Reactions: crm114psu
Ok. Which one lost to Ohio bobcats? Which one never won more than 8 games? Who had Gerald Hodges returning punts?
Do you want to list all Franklin's horrible decisions?
You tries to criticize one for quiting when both quit on a team. You don't have an argument. This is where you typically bring up Joe but that won't work here.

We all realize O'Brien can be the better coach while Franklin is the better fit for Penn State right?

Like Saban is infinitely better than most coaches but the Dolphins were better with without him.

Can be yet he wasn't. Never won more than 8 games. Gave games away vs Virginia and Ohio bobcats. Gave them away.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Can be yet he wasn't. Never won more than 8 games. Gave games away vs Virginia and Ohio bobcats. Gave them away.
Like Franklin has given away tons of games and his reputation is he can't win a big game.

You're trying too hard here to the point you're not making any sense

The question was who's the better coach. The real answer is we'll find put over the next few years. Franklin did his best to lose on Saturday. He has to beat OSU this year. Has to.

Do you want to list all Franklin's horrible decisions?
You tries to criticize one for quiting when both quit on a team. You don't have an argument. This is where you typically bring up Joe but that won't work here.

You can but at the end of the day Franklin has a better record.

You also can't dispute the fact that O'Brien quit.

O'Brien was a miserable prima dona. He was given everything he asked for and all he did was complain. He was leaking stories to Dave Jones from day 1.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Ski
He was honest. The JoeBots,to this day, are a problem and we knew he wanted to coach in the NFL. He did nothing wrong nor were his comments untrue.
BS flat out BS. O’Brien’s job as head coach was to coach the freaking team. How exactly are alleged JoeBots a problem today?

Like Franklin has given away tons of games and his reputation is he can't win a big game.

You're trying too hard here to the point you're not making any sense

The question was who's the better coach. The real answer is we'll find put over the next few years. Franklin did his best to lose on Saturday. He has to beat OSU this year. Has to.

Tons of games? 10-2. vs 8-4

BS flat out BS. O’Brien’s job as head coach was to coach the freaking team. How exactly are alleged JoeBots a problem today?

They are a problem. They actually root for the team to lose. They won't be happy til joes corpse is propped up in the sidelines like weekend at Bernie's.

You can but at the end of the day Franklin has a better record.

You also can't dispute the fact that O'Brien quit.

O'Brien was a miserable prima dona. He was given everything he asked for and all he did was complain. He was leaking stories to Dave Jones from day 1.
They both quit for better jobs
He should have been leaking stories as the fan base never supported him. It was all about Paterno and the past. That was counterproductive to his goals.

Both have never had a losing season, both have never been to the playoffs. One won coach of the year. Bob did more with less imo. Discuss.
Better at what? Serious question. Both have their strengths. I'd submit BOB is a better football coach, but JF is better at every other aspect of being a CFB HC.

Reactions: doctornick and Ski
See the complaints about the behavior of players on the field and that "Joe would have never allowed that".

Both have never had a losing season, both have never been to the playoffs. One won coach of the year. Bob did more with less imo. Discuss.

Is 7-5 more than 10-2?

Which one quit on the team in 2013?

Which one leaked stories to Dave Jones about how much he hated the fans?

They are a problem. They actually root for the team to lose. They won't be happy til joes corpse is propped up in the sidelines like weekend at Bernie's.
So you agree they're a problem but you're mad at O'Brien for agreeing with you? Interesting

So you agree they're a problem but you're mad at O'Brien for agreeing with you? Interesting

O'Brien quit on the team. That is a fact.

Do you agree the joebots are a problem for Franklin too? Are you mad that he deals with them and wins 10 games?

It is ironic that you say the joebots are a problem and you use them as an excuse for O'Brien but you are against making excuses for Franklin. Why is that?

O'Brien quit on the team. That is a fact.

Do you agree the joebots are a problem for Franklin too? Are you mad that he deals with them and wins 10 games?

It is ironic that you say the joebots are a problem and you use them as an excuse for O'Brien but you are against making excuses for Franklin. Why is that?
Franklin quit on Vandy. That is a fact
It's not just JoeBots that are mad about 10-2. We don't want to be Georgia under Richt. He has to start beating top 10 teams. Like O'Brien did last week
O'Brien was replacing Paterno. He's not more than a decade removed from it. I actually haven't been critical of Franklin in the past 2 years other than stating he has to start beating top teams but even last year I was fine with 10-2. This year he has to take the next step. Anything less than a playoff spot is unacceptable. We all know that.
I didn't even complain on Saturday against BGSU--I was confident he'd win it. I'm not confident he'll beat OSU or win a playoff game. That's the problem. Has nothing to do with Joe. Paterno should have been fired by 2001 if he was unwilling to retire.

It's odd people make excuses for Franklin using the sanctions but O'Brien who was here when they were actually implemented wasn't impacted. Of course he hated recruiting at that time. Franklin is the better recruiter but people are just being petty that he left and was honest while doing so. Since day 1 we knew he was leaving for the NFL.
Agree. IIRC, Bill was limited to ~55 schollies. At that level, he was on the verge of having to put kids on the field that were in danger of getting hurt. That said, I don't believe he is a CFB coach at heart. I don't think he likes recruiting and being a politician that has to deal with university admins, donors, etc. I don't think his distaste for recruiting had anything to do with what was happening at PSU at the time.

I don't care that he left. What I disliked greatly is that he convinced a bunch of kids to stay, in part, by affirming that he would be at PSU to see them graduate, and I don't believe he meant it when he said it. But whatever. Long time ago. I'd rather discuss what PSU needs needs to excel, assuming there is a CFB left that's worth excelling in.

Reactions: LandoComando
Why would you praise a 7-5 coach with three ot games?
Was O'Brien praised for dealing with reduced scholarships or not? Reality
Franklin went 4-5. Fact. That is worse than 7-5 in case you're incapable of doing the math there. Counting can be challenging for some.
Franklin wasn't in his 2nd year either--was he?
You can hate O'Brien all you want. He's a better game day coach than Franklin. Franklin is the better recruiter. The next few years will determine who's the better coach. Bar is much higher for Franklin when comparing Penn State and BC.

Agree. IIRC, Bill was limited to ~55 schollies. At that level, he was on the verge of having to put kids on the field that were in danger of getting hurt. That said, I don't believe he is a CFB coach at heart. I don't think he likes recruiting and being a politician that has to deal with university admins, donors, etc. I don't think his distaste for recruiting had anything to do with what was happening at PSU at the time.

I don't care that he left. What I disliked greatly is that he convinced a bunch of kids to stay, in part, by affirming that he would be at PSU to see them graduate, and I don't believe he meant it when he said it. But whatever. Long time ago. I'd rather discuss what PSU needs needs to excel, assuming there is a CFB left that's worth excelling in.

Sanctions were phased in and phased out. O'Brien did not have to cut 30 scholarships the first year. It was actually 65 player limit but don't worry about the facts. O'Brien had an existing senior filled roster. His scholarship freshman were the sanction hits and most those players did not play until Franklin got here. It was Franklin who had to start the 2 stars who had no power 5 offers other than psu. Franklin was starting kids who picked psu over marshall, Toledo, UMass, and Akron. Once sanctions were lifted the two stars did not transfer out. They were here for five years.

Franklin went 4-5. Fact. That is worse than 7-5 in case you're incapable of doing the math there. Counting can be challenging for some.
You can hate O'Brien all you want. He's a better game day coach than Franklin. Franklin is the better recruiter. The next few years will determine who's the better coach. Bar is much higher for Franklin when comparing Penn State and BC.

Why did you praise a 7-5 coach?

Who quit on psu in 2013?

Why did you praise a 7-5 coach?

Who quit on psu in 2013?
Is reading difficult for you? I said "he was praised for it" not that I praised him
Who quit on Vanderbilt?
Who cares that he quit--coaches leave. Neither is wrong for doing so.
Just like if Franklin wants to coach in the NFL and leaves us for it next year I wouldn't criticize him.

He may have been more open to staying longer if the JoeBots stayed off his ass. It is amazing that he even considered CFB after his Happy Valley stint, but doing time in rehab with Saban appears to have caused him to reconsider.

Speaking of Saban, did you catch the dedication? Saban field at Bryant-Denny stadium. That is the way to retire, with dignity and well-deserved respect.
Who are you to say how other people should retire? How about you graciously retire from this board so we aren’t forced to confront your idiocy? And take little Rainman Lando with you since you two seem to be simpatico.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: crm114psu
You’re kind of avoiding the OP’s question. Your feelings regarding him leaving have little to do with how good a coach he is.
I never weighed in on who I thought was the better coach but I’ll take the guy who was willing to come and take on the challenge when times were the toughest.

Is reading difficult for you? I said "he was praised for it" not that I praised him
Who quit on Vanderbilt?
Who cares that he quit--coaches leave. Neither is wrong for doing so.
Just like if Franklin wants to coach in the NFL and leaves us for it next year I wouldn't criticize him.
I don’t recall Franklin blaming Vandy fans when he left. As I said, I don’t blame O’Brien for leaving just for making a lame excuse for doing so.

I don’t recall Franklin blaming Vandy fans when he left. As I said, I don’t blame O’Brien for leaving just for making a lame excuse for doing so.
Blame Vandy for what?
Did he have a segment of the fan base trying to sabotage him and focusing on the past not the present/future?
I don't understand how anyone is angry at Franklin for being honest. The die-hard Paterno fans still talking about the statue and naming the stadium after him remain a problem. They're things Paterno wouldn't even care about.

O’Brien didn’t deal with reduced scholarships in his first year and had more talent at his disposal than Franklin did in his first 2 years. What was O’Brien’s excuse with the Texans?

O’Brien didn’t deal with reduced scholarships in his first year and had more talent at his disposal than Franklin did in his first 2 years. What was O’Brien’s excuse with the Texans?
O'Brien wanted too much power and he wasn't capable of being a GM which led to their downfall. He needed to stay in his lane. He had a winning record in 5 of his 6 full seasons--made the playoffs 4 times before the disaster of 0-4 in his final year. Overall successful but, yse, his fault for taking on too much. Unlike here were the issue was largely those that worshipped Paterno and turned their back on the current program to focus on the past.
Why was he named National Coach of the Year in 2013 for going 7-5? Because they were loaded?
In his first year, the first 2 games were awful as he was trying to adapt and deal with things outside of football. Sanctions came out about 6 weeks before the start of the year IIRC

Blame Vandy for what?
Did he have a segment of the fan base trying to sabotage him and focusing on the past not the present/future?
I don't understand how anyone is angry at Franklin for being honest. The die-hard Paterno fans still talking about the statue and naming the stadium after him remain a problem. They're things Paterno wouldn't even care about.
Seriously. How did a segment of the fans try to sabotage O’Brien? It was the Paterno loyalists who instituted the lawsuits which eventually got the sanctions reduced. I consider myself a Paterno loyalist who thinks he was one of the largest scapegoats by people trying to cover their respective you know whats but have been fully supportive of first O’Brien and now Franklin. Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Apparently O’Brien isn’t.

O'Brien wanted too much power and he wasn't capable of being a GM which led to their downfall. He needed to stay in his lane. He had a winning record in 5 of his 6 full seasons--made the playoffs 4 times before the disaster of 0-4 in his final year. Overall successful but, yse, his fault for taking on too much. Unlike here were the issue was largely those that worshipped Paterno and turned their back on the current program to focus on the past.
Why was he named National Coach of the Year in 2013 for going 7-5? Because they were loaded?
In his first year, the first 2 games were awful as he was trying to adapt and deal with things outside of football. Sanctions came out about 6 weeks before the start of the year IIRC
The first 2 games were awful because O’Brien had to adapt to things outside of football? Do you have any more excuses for him? As I recall his first loss was to Miami of Ohio at home. Stop the BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT