ADVERTISEMENT

CFP controversy

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Many/most of you will probably disagree , but this is how I see it.

This two year running controversy is the ideal situation for the likes of the television networks and apparel companies such as Nike, UnderArmor et al. Controversy the past two years may lead to an expanded playoff and $$$$$$$$. They are savoring it, they are promoting it, so therefore it will be. Don't think for a moment that expanding the playoff is about including deserving teams, because it's not. The greed that corrupted basketball is finding its way further into football.

So the money four this year would include a team from the north. Clemson, UGA and Bama are geographically very close. Throw in Oklahoma and the north is shutout.

The fair four based on last year's precedent includes Bama.

My question is why is the "controversy" always around getting Ohio State in? 2014 Ohio State got in even with a really bad loss. 2015 the argument was whether OSU should get in over Michigan State. Last year Ohio State got in as the only non-conference champion. This year who looks to be the first two loss team ever to get in? Of course, it's Ohio State. Every time they vary the criteria it benefits Ohio State.

My question is why is the "controversy" always around getting Ohio State in? 2014 Ohio State got in even with a really bad loss. 2015 the argument was whether OSU should get in over Michigan State. Last year Ohio State got in as the only non-conference champion. This year who looks to be the first two loss team ever to get in? Of course, it's Ohio State. Every time they vary the criteria it benefits Ohio State.
....and conveniently their AD is on the committee

....and conveniently their AD is on the committee

Whether we agree or not or for that matter whether we like it or not, OSU is a bigger brand than PSU right now. That cost PSU last year, no question. This year? Which team, Alabama or OSU, brings in the TV audience and sells shoes? Tough call, isn't it? Debate the merits of the teams all you like, but fundamentally, the CFP committee members are playing the role of businessmen. I think it's OSU. They are both regional, but the OSU region is larger.

Last edited:
Whether we agree or not or for that matter whether we like it or not, OSU is a bigger brand than PSU right now. That cost PSU last year, no question. This year? Which team, Alabama or OSU, brings in the TV audience and sells shoes? Tough call, isn't it. Debate the merits of the teams all you like, but fundamentally, the CFP committee members are playing the role of businessmen. I think it's OSU. They are both regional, but the OSU region is larger.

True but I can't wait for the committee to try to explain it away. "We did this for money." That will go over like a lead balloon. Don't chose Bama and the committee is in an untenable position. I love controversy. This is almost as good as Hillary's email server and the meeting on the tarmac.

True but I can't wait for the committee to try to explain it away. "We did this for money." That will go over like a lead balloon. Don't chose Bama and the committee is in an untenable position. I love controversy. This is almost as good as Hillary's email server and the meeting on the tarmac.

The committee members are salesmen. Most of their work will be how to spin their decision.

Reactions: Nitt1300
If you are talking about Herbstreit, I saw a glimpse of his final four and he had Alabama in over Ohio State.
Then I stand corrected, but I'm sure he's not out trumpeting for Bama like he did for OSU last year.

Take it for what it's worth, but he said that Alabama's resume far surpasses Ohio State's resume this year.
Not a real top 10 win for Alabama all year. FSU was overrated early and LSU is their best win. Can't say conference championships mean anything and not invite USC to the dance. Ohio State is also a better pick than Alabama but the Iowa loss makes USC a better selection.

Not a real top 10 win for Alabama all year. FSU was overrated early and LSU is their best win. Can't say conference championships mean anything and not invite USC to the dance. Ohio State is also a better pick than Alabama but the Iowa loss makes USC a better selection.
You think USC will jump from 10 to 4?

Leaving out the NE, Midwest, and west clearly won't do- look for changes sooner rather than later

Nothing will improve until the layers of the cake are removed. Polls, committees AND championship games? Two of the three need to be removed for any semblance of an appropriate and relatively fair playoff scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT