ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

Go away. 80% of your posts are attacking the opinions of other posters. Must be miserable waiting around all day to rush to disagree with what strangers post on the internet.

And Yes, Rahne was not performing up to par. When you make 700k per year you have high expectations. Franklin wishes to be “elite”. Rahne was not making Franklin elite. He either makes a move or lowers his expectations. Once again I think you are advocating for lowered expectations.
You’ll be trashing the new guy by the third game of the season for not living up to your expectations.

Reactions: m48tank and Hotshoe
Really? So we ignore that he lost to Iowa? Did they play Michigan or Ohio State? Far less talent? Only in the mind of stargazers.
The lingering need to assign blame to Rahne for the disappointing and depressing 10-2 season here "is bizarre, to say the least."

You'd be well advised to do some research on the matter.

Aside from the fact that virtually every scouting service has Minnesota's kids -- generally speaking -- far below us in terms of talent, the scholarship offers tell essentially the same story.

Tanner Morgan had 3 offers from P5 schools. Ditto for Mohamed Ibrahim. Tyler Johnson had 4 offers from P5 schools. And so on.

To the claim that their schedule was weaker and thus the better offensive output, FEI statistics -- which account for schedule strength -- noted that Minnesota had the #8 most efficient offense in the nation this year. Much higher than us, I might add.

You are resorting to strawman arguments ("disappointing and depressing 10-2 season", "the critics wouldn't even be happy with Jesus Christ as OC", etc.) to drown out statistically valid arguments about the mediocre state of our offensive production over the past few years. That's your choice. I get it that you apparently know Rahne personally, and thus you're taking this personally. Fine. But you need to resort to evidence-based arguments if you're going to try to demonstrate that Rahne was something other than an underachiever as an offensive coordinator at this university.

Whatever the case, we have moved on. We'll be a better offense for it.

To the extent he made anyone on the PSU staff look like a fool it would be Pry not Rahne. I get that people don’t like Rahne, but honest to god get real.
Exactly, a ridiculous hateful post. We had over 500 yards of offense against Minnesota. Some people have a hard time getting over their stupid hate.

In summary, whatever one wants to think of Ciarrocca, comparing the career coaching accomplishments of Ciarracco to Rahne is (in the "language" of most of the posters on this board) akin to comparing this:
Well stormin, you are replying to 71ish poster that in my time, liked a lot of mystery in the item, like unwrapping a Christmas present. :D

Last edited:
If he can’t score a TD in Ann Arbor with an NFL running back and 3 year starter at QB, I imagine the gripe will be that he can’t score a TD in Ann Arbor with an NFL RB and 3 year starter at QB.
This isn’t as difficult as it looks. The last guy wasn’t getting it done in big games. If this guy doesn’t, the same will happen.
Hard to improve on 10-2.

Limegrover has actually been decent the past couple of years. Part of the lack of prior running game dominance is the scheme.

I think Limegrover is doing a good job, but scheme to me is irrelevant. Like it or not, the RPO is here to stay and is the offense used by most college teams. It also is even being used to some degree in the NFL. Other college teams using this offense run the ball effectively.

There are a few people here who don't seem to realize they are the mirror image of the constant haters they rail against - defending any and everything related to the coaches.

You couldn't have said it better. Rahne seems like a good dude and we should all wish him well. But it's doubtful - at best - he goes to ODU (within a year of talking about how he had no desire to be a head coach!) if he was excelling as the PSU OC.

Time will tell if Ciarocca will be an upgrade, but I certainly am glad we're at least trying. I really doubt the status quo was going to get us where Franklin wants to go.
Of course the defenders are defending a 10-2 season...the haters are trashing it....so one side has something to back up their argument.

Looks like today’s day off will be spent rewatching the Minny game and checking out this offense.
Out of no where he came and attacked our D with an unbalanced line for most of the first half (6 OL). Something they hadn’t shown before and really caught us off guard. I love knowing we will have an offensive coach who can game plan and attack.

Aside from the fact that virtually every scouting service has Minnesota's kids -- generally speaking -- far below us in terms of talent, the scholarship offers tell essentially the same story.

Tanner Morgan had 3 offers from P5 schools. Ditto for Mohamed Ibrahim. Tyler Johnson had 4 offers from P5 schools. And so on.

To the claim that their schedule was weaker and thus the better offensive output, FEI statistics -- which account for schedule strength -- noted that Minnesota had the #8 most efficient offense in the nation this year. Much higher than us, I might add.

You are resorting to strawman arguments ("disappointing and depressing 10-2 season", "the critics wouldn't even be happy with Jesus Christ as OC", etc.) to drown out statistically valid arguments about the mediocre state of our offensive production over the past few years. That's your choice. I get it that you apparently know Rahne personally, and thus you're taking this personally. Fine. But you need to resort to evidence-based arguments if you're going to try to demonstrate that Rahne was something other than an underachiever as an offensive coordinator at this university.

Well I hope you are right, but time will tell.

- Less than 300 yards of offense
- SIX three-and-outs, plus two four-and-outs (in 13 possessions... leading to the fewest plays run, and lowest time of possession for ANY team facing Michigan in 2019)

If you are correct, that may be the most damning statement vav Rahne that has ever been written.
Rahne’s gone. Why waste time beating a dead horse? I think the nw guy at least from an OC standpoint is an upgrade. Time will tell.

Reactions: Ski and step.eng69
Look at the OSU-Michigan scores and yardage the last two years against each other, then look the points/yards we put up against each. The offense wasn’t cutting it, plain and simple. If the new guy has the issues that RR had, he’ll get the same treatment.

What part of never moving ball against our biggest rivals are the pro-Rahne folks so thrilled with?
Are you counting OSU? Who is moving the ball against them this year?
You left out that last season Rahne's offense outgained Ohio State 492-389. What part of moving the ball against our "biggest rival(s) did you miss?Last time I checked the PSU season record was 10-2. So he is responsible for the 2 losses? LOL What part of being an idiot fanboy don't you get?

Reactions: m48tank
Exactly, a ridiculous hateful post. We had over 500 yards of offense against Minnesota. Some people have a hard time getting over their stupid hate.

Sometimes you have to show up and perform when the crutch of a good defense is not therefor you.

We shit the bed in the red zone and lost the game at Minny because of that. This is not fantasy football where you get points for yards gained.

Reactions: Mudge1026
The questions this raises for me are: was CJF not seeing enough of Brady from that role to see what he had? Did Brady learn a lot after leaving that transformed him? Is Brady overrated and benefiting from Joe Burrow and a down defensive year for Alabama? If not, can CJF not spot and promote elite talent like some other coaches? Both Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer pushed for young guys they saw to be rising stars to replace them even with more experienced options available on staff. So far both look to be right.

What has Brady done as an OC? Do you now support on the job training?

Why didn't you post a pro brady thread when he was here?

Reactions: marshall23
We should go after Kirk Ciarrocca, the current Minnesota Gophers Offensive Co-ordinator. He played HS football at Red Land and has family near York/Harrisburg. He coached Joe Flacco at Delaware, and did a pretty good job against PSU this year if you sadly recall. Makes $700K in Minn and I don't know how that stacks up. I know for a fact that he does not like Minnesota winters. Franklin had nothing but good things to say about his work in the Minn post-game conference, Would be a great candidate in my estimation.

Great call from a few weeks ago.

Of course the defenders are defending a 10-2 season...the haters are trashing it....so one side has something to back up their argument.
- "Haters"

- "Defenders"

- Absolute declaration of overall record as sole valid measure of individual success for an offensive coordinator, rejecting any others individually or in the aggregate.

- Absolute knowledge of the future.

You're on a roll.

I don't know Rahne personally, but I've dealt with fanboys like you my entire life. Enjoy your "statistics" and *** awarded by recruiting services that are directed by coaching failures and financial gain. PSU defeated Iowa (a team that beat Minny) as well as Michigan. Minny lost to Wisky and would have gotten torched had they played Ohio State. Despite a less than stellar day, PSU would likely have beaten Minny on their turf had it not been for a bullshit OPI call. Rahne just turned the ball over too much, right?
Last I checked....you play to win the game. More points than the other guy gets that done...if you like style, go to the ice capades, you'll love the choreography.
I'm so glad to hear "we" have moved on. If that's the case, why was it so difficult for so many to welcome the new shiny object without taking a shot at a guy who loyally coached here for 6 years? I know why.10-2.......a new OC and next year we'll be better for it......what are the odds?

I know that was a “top 10” showdown. But let’s be real. The entire staff and program is evaluated vs the other teams in the East, not Minnesota.

I love how you cherry-pick that game, when for both sides of the ball it was the exception: the offense for once played well in a game against a good team on the road, while the defense did not, for once.

Your post makes sense if beating Minnesota is the goal of the program. I just think there are bigger fish, and those shouldn’t be unbeatable.

I mean, we didn’t just lose to Michigan and OSU in their houses the last two years. The first team O had one scoring drive over 40 yards for a TD. Against defenses that gave up points and yards ini other games.
You people expect too little.

Point to the teams that have beaten Michigan and Ohio State "in their houses" the last two years. Oh, yes, Ohio State beat Michigan. Listen binkie, hold your breath until we beat OSU and Michigan in "their houses."
I'll be content with 10 win seasons and trips with my family to NY6 bowls.
By the way.....what do you mean by "you people?"

Reactions: m48tank
Considering what Ciarocca accomplished at MN with, on paper, significantly less talent than PSU, this seems like a very smart hire. Of course, I am not entirely certain that our overall roster at WR is anywhere close to the aggregate of the recruiting rankings of our individual players. But with a crop of new WR’s coming in and a guy with what appears to be a clear idea in mind about an offensive system, it isn’t too hard to be optimistic about our passing game for 2020.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Point to the teams that have beaten Michigan and Ohio State "in their houses" the last two years. Oh, yes, Ohio State beat Michigan. Listen binkie, hold your breath until we beat OSU and Michigan in "their houses."
I'll be content with 10 win seasons and trips with my family to NY6 bowls.
By the way.....what do you mean by "you people?"

People who look like you.

- "Haters"

- "Defenders"

- Absolute declaration of overall record as sole valid measure of individual success for an offensive coordinator, rejecting any others individually or in the aggregate.

You're on a roll.
With posters on here, absolute knowledge of the future is easy....past performance is indicative of future behavior. And I never said record was the sole valid measure....I said the defenders have something concrete to measure like 10-2....the anti-Rahne folks have gut feelings or how they did with their PlayStation team.

Reactions: PSU87 and Hotshoe
It is all on Franklin at his point.

He has to do these things -

1. Win the majority of games against UM, MSU and tOSU.
2. Win the B1G East
3. Win the B1G
4. Get into the playoff.

He set "elite" as the standard, now he must produce.

He has no more excuses. He has the salary, he has the coaching staff he wants, he has his recruits to coach up, there is no longer any carryover from the sanctions.[/QUOTE
OK jackwad.....he is NOT making excuses !

- "Haters"

- "Defenders"

You're on a roll.
I'll sign up for win loss record as the sole valid measure of success. LOL

Sometimes you have to show up and perform when the crutch of a good defense is not therefor you.

We shit the bed in the red zone and lost the game at Minny because of that. This is not fantasy football where you get points for yards gained.
And sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut when you are a fool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT