ADVERTISEMENT

Ciarrocca new OC at PSU

With posters on here, absolute knowledge of the future is easy....past performance is indicative of future behavior. And I never said record was the sole valid measure....I said the defenders have something concrete to measure like 10-2....the anti-Rahne folks have gut feelings or how they did with their PlayStation team.

Leave Jay out of this. Long live the Spread HD!

Reactions: LMTLION and flash86
But, but, but......Don Brown.
This makes me wonder if there's a Don Brown drinking game? I actually wonder if Herby didn't bring up Don Brown defense in a secretly mocking way this year after 62-39.

Great hire, at LSU Brady is kind of sharing that OC with Ensminger something's gotta give, between those two. Texas is probably going to offer either OSU or LSU oc's.
It's more than stats guys, it's length of time getting plays in, checking off to terrible plays, or not running the clock. Minn. used the clock , running game, and real good passing routes. I thought Minn. used their talent above what they were rated.
An interesting point is that we have Ciarrocca, Parker, Limegrover, Banks, and Bowen all with Big 10 experience with previous schools.

Once again this board never fails to disappoint. People bitching about the fact that in the future people will be bitching about something that may or may not happen. You stay classy san diego.
You don’t think people will be bitching after the first bad game? Really?

Reactions: Nitt1300
It is all on Franklin at his point.

He has to do these things -

1. Win the majority of games against UM, MSU and tOSU.
2. Win the B1G East
3. Win the B1G
4. Get into the playoff.

He set "elite" as the standard, now he must produce.

He has no more excuses. He has the salary, he has the coaching staff he wants, he has his recruits to coach up, there is no longer any carryover from the sanctions.
hol up

someone told me that he bought himself some breathing room by beating Michigan State last year

Before this morning, honestly, I wouldn't have remembered or recognized the new guy's name.

But Norm and many others here have made a strong case that it's a great hire, so count me in. Can't wait to have him aboard.

Still, I don't think it's necessary to combine a thumbs-up on him with a thumbs-down on the one leaving.

I wish Rahne a happy landing in his new position. He had considerable success at Penn State. Some big wins.

Was he great at the job? Probably not. But neither was the sainted JoMo.

At this point, who cares. We had some excellent seasons with both guys calling the plays. Now the page turns...in a positive direction.

My main concern at this moment is two days from now...in the Cotton Bowl

I think that this is a really good hire, but I am a fan so I am really looking through blue and white colored glasses if I am honest. It isn't difficult because Minnesota has had success on offense recently and beat us this year.

Having said that, you people who are all over Rahne, what was your opinion on Coach Ciarocca after the first three Minnesota games of the season? You know, the ones where the Gophers had to make comebacks against South Dakota State, Fresno State and Georgia Southern?

It seems to me that a lot of people were laughing about the Gophers on this board and saying that they had beaten no one any good and struggled to do even that

Shit happens sometimes....those three games don't make Ciarocca a bad coach just like the Minnesota game doesn't make Rahne a bad coach. I am sure that there are some guys here who have played or coached at a high level but most of us here don't know what goes into all of it. Well, except for what we read online or hear on ESPN et al.

I'm just a fan, I am not going to super analyze this hire because I am not qualified and I also think that that kind of obsession is sucking all the joy out of my football viewing. Obviously that isn't meant to imply that its the only way to follow football so have at it I guess

i think all our skill players - QB, RB, WR and TE have an overall rank far above the same at Minny. However, if you look at the players current NFL potential, they might actually be graded higher overall right now. Minny does get a lot out their talent based on rankings but their players might be better than the rankings suggest. all our WRs were 4/5* players.
I don’t know what to think of this. Outside of KJ and Dotson, I have been uunderwhelmed by what I have seen from our WR corps. I would bet that with players like Godwin, Blacknall, Thompkins and Hamilton, JF knows what WR talent looks like. So the fact that PSU recruited so many WR’s for 2020 says something.
The other thing that needs to change for 2020 is to have fewer ( preferably zero ) games where Clifford is the leading rusher.

I think the person who is secretly most pleased with the hire is Clifford himself. I think this will do wonders for Clifford’s game because he obviously has the physical attributes, and somebody just has to help him get his head on straight, particularly in the first quarter of almost every game. Different positions but Clifford in terms of the mental approach reminds me if Gesicki before the lightbulb went on.

I don’t know what to think of this. Outside of KJ and Dotson, I have been uunderwhelmed by what I have seen from our WR corps. I would bet that with players like Godwin, Blacknall, Thompkins and Hamilton, JF knows what WR talent looks like. So the fact that PSU recruited so many WR’s for 2020 says something.
The other thing that needs to change for 2020 is to have fewer ( preferably zero ) games where Clifford is the leading rusher.
Despite what some posters seem to think, our WR room is not elite. Sullivan-Brown, Hipp, and Jones were three star. George was the 41st ranked receiver in his class. Shorter and likely Hamler are gone. Hopefully the new guys can contribute but it’s my biggest concern about next year

I think the person who is secretly most pleased with the hire is Clifford himself. I think this will do wonders for Clifford’s game because he obviously has the physical attributes, and somebody just has to help him get his head on straight, particularly in the first quarter of almost every game. Different positions but Clifford in terms of the mental approach reminds me if Gesicki before the lightbulb went on.

And Kirk can say to any QB recruit "I developed an NFL QB who won the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP." That's nice!

Despite what some posters seem to think, our WR room is not elite. Sullivan-Brown, Hipp, and Jones were three star. George was the 41st ranked receiver in his class. Shorter and likely Hamler are gone. Hopefully the new guys can contribute but it’s my biggest concern about next year
Dotson was a four star in 2018 and Shorter was a five star.
Dunmore was a four star in 2019..
I don’t recall seeing Dunmore play this season which, given our struggles at the position group, is not a positive sign. I don’t know if he had an injury problem, but I know he suited up and warmed up for home games.
It is good that Dottin and Lambert are enrolling early.
I don’t expect much from the portal.

Once again this board never fails to disappoint. People bitching about the fact that in the future people will be bitching about something that may or may not happen. You stay classy san diego.
Ding ding ding...We have a winner. Hell...they didn’t even let people give their opinion of the hire before starting with it.

Reactions: Harrisburg Dave
Really solid hire. With these RB’s, should translate into a really good O. I’m sure a few will b!tch as that is all they know. The rest of us will be cautiously optimistic as the program is moving in the right direction under CJF.

It is easy to criticize without offering alternatives. Therefore, out of intellectual integrity, please name the realistic replacement if Franklin doesn’t meet the standard.

This same request was offered as a non-confrontational topic of discussion over a month ago with no reply.

Huh? I provided my criteria for judging his performance. I did not call for him to be replaced.

hol up

someone told me that he bought himself some breathing room by beating Michigan State last year

And how is this inconsistent with that?

I did not call for his replacement. I provide MY opinion as to a set of criteria upon which to judge his performance.

So many here jump to conclusions based upon a poor comprehension of a post.

The whole "he is a PA guy" aspect is simply a stupid and myopic viewpoint.

So stupid everyone (fans, media, even CJF) mentions it early in the conversation. I agree with hiring the best guy, not the best PA guy. But given all else being equal, I’ll take the PA guy. He’ll have advantages an outsider won’t have. Like getting a Florida guy to recruit Florida.

Dunmore was a four star in 2019..
I don’t recall seeing Dunmore play this season which, given our struggles at the position group, is not a positive sign.

Hamler RS'd and he came around to be just fine. I know he had an injury in HS, but didn't we hear reports of him being the Human Joystick on the practice squad?

I think in Dunmore's case, he had no issue with taking a RS. We had depth, it just didn't perform. Everybody loves the idea of next man up and hoping for some kind of magic to occur, but I don't think they were drastically concerned about burning his RS at that point and it's not likely to have mattered this year WRT win loss record.

I think the bowl would be a good audition for Dunmore/Jones heading into winter workouts with the amount of uncertainty at the position. Hamler possibly leaving opens up the slot, although I could see Dotson sliding over. I think we see some attrition here since we won't be under the 85 by summer arrivals (CSB and Hipp are questionable to stay, particularly if another crew of EE true freshman come in and take the spots on the depth chart; pure speculation/assumption though).

Oh no, I’m not playing this game. But thanks for illustrating my point by bitching about my post bitching about people bitching about whether people will be bitching in the future.
There’s no whether about it...they will be and by calling them out on it now, maybe they will see how ridiculous they would be to start bitching at the first bad game/series/play and not do it.

Well...… PSU had the ball 6 times in the second half (after ending the first half with back to back three-and-outs):

1) 1st play of 2nd half - 13 yard run by Cain...
Then 3 plays for (-1) yard and a punt

2) Then 3 plays for 2 yards and a punt

3) Then 3 plays for 3 yards and a punt

4) Then 3 plays for (-1) yard.... but a penalty on UMich kept the drive alive, and PSU hit the long pass to Hamler for a 50 yard TD.

5) Then 3 plays for (-3) yards and a punt.

6) Then the final possession - 3 runs for 11 yards, then 3 kneel-downs.

So, if not for the 3rd and 11 penalty on UMich, PSU woulda' had 22 plays for 14 total yards in the second half (after ending the 1st half with back-to-back three-and-outs). As it was, with the penalty-sustained drive, they had 25 plays for 90 yards.

PSU had - in total - 4 positive offensive plays in the final 37 minutes of the game. That is it.
(The 13 yard run by Cain to open the half, 2 completions to Hamler - 8 yards and 53 yards, and the 4 yard Hamler run for the final first down)

Their last 7 full possessions of the game - if not for the penalty on UMich - were 6 three-and-outs and 1four-and-out.

Good info but question on the part in blue. How did we get that final first down without a couple more positive plays? Or am I misinterpreting something?

In fact, in the fourth quarter, our plays went like this:

1 yard carry by Journey Brown (1st down)
4 yard reception by Brown
8 yard reception by KJ Hamler (1st down)
53 yard reception by Hamler (TD)
-4 yard reception by Ricky Slade
-5 yard sack of Clifford
6 yard reception by Slade
Punt
5 yard carry by Noah Cain
2 yard carry by Cain
4 yard carry by Hamler (1st down)
Then the three kneel downs.

So in the fourth quarter, 8 of 10 actual offensive plays went for positive yardage - just in the fourth quarter. That’s double the four you say happened over the final 37 minutes.

What if that was a compelling reason for him to decide to come to Penn State? Certainly important then.
At that level the only deciding factors are money + opportunity. PA has nothing to do with it. THat is just Franklin's marketing sense to appeal to the masses in PA. Of course, schools like PSU are more than just state schools and span nationally or even international.

At that level the only deciding factors are money + opportunity. PA has nothing to do with it. THat is just Franklin's marketing sense to appeal to the masses in PA. Of course, schools like PSU are more than just state schools and span nationally or even international.
You have no idea if PA had nothing to do with it...only the coach and his family knows that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT