ADVERTISEMENT

CJ-Nolf-Imar

I'm not one that subscribes to "lightning in a bottle" excuses. Winning a National Championship is the apex of the college wrestling world, why belittle the accomplishment. A kid can only wrestle the guy in front of them, right? Not saying every path is equal, or that it shouldn't be discussed, it's just how I feel.

In the past 39 years (the number I have in a database), here's a few stats for y'all;

7 National Champs, in those 39 years, won while seeded outside the top-8, including Q's run in 2011 out of the 9-seed. 2 National Champs won while being unseeded, both at 167 pounds...Mark Branch in 1994, and Matt Reiss in 1980.

It's rare...the 7 in 39 years amounts to less than 2% of all the Champs.

I'm not one that subscribes to "lightning in a bottle" excuses. Winning a National Championship is the apex of the college wrestling world, why belittle the accomplishment. A kid can only wrestle the guy in front of them, right? Not saying every path is equal, or that it shouldn't be discussed, it's just how I feel.

In the past 39 years (the number I have in a database), here's a few stats for y'all;

7 National Champs, in those 39 years, won while seeded outside the top-8, including Q's run in 2011 out of the 9-seed. 2 National Champs won while being unseeded, both at 167 pounds...Mark Branch in 1994, and Matt Reiss in 1980.

On HR, Quentin's sophomore run is probably still viewed as lightening in a bottle.

I don't think that term is meant to say it was a fluke or he didn't deserve it, just that he was on a heater. Whatever you want to call it, he had an amazing tournament, props to him for that. Just as a fan, I'm speculating he may have trouble doing it again (like many champs before him). Winning an NCAA title is an amazing accomplishment, sometimes we forget how hard that is.

Reactions: Gebmo
I don't think that term is meant to say it was a fluke or he didn't deserve it, just that he was on a heater. Whatever you want to call it, he had an amazing tournament, props to him for that. Just as a fan, I'm speculating he may have trouble doing it again (like many champs before him). Winning an NCAA title is an amazing accomplishment, sometimes we forget how hard that is.
Nicely worded...thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT