ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson and FSU unhappy with the ACC

ASU, Utah and Colorado produce 0 national interest in terms of tv ratings. Oregon generates top 10-15 level tv ratings and as such they are a valuable addition. Washington does ok with tv ratings. Stanford and Cal serve no football revenue purpose, but likely are valuable additions for some school presidents that want academic affiliation with the Bay area/Silicon Valley.
Cal/Stanford are perfect. They close if Cali. Yeah there’s others but they’ll never match the big 4.

Also if you only add mega programs it hurts long term. Programs will lose and suffer. Look at Nebraska. They aren’t the same as they were. If you only add usc and Texas type some of the good programs will suffer. You need lesser programs.

Plus other sports beside fb they are very good.

Big 10 targeting 4 PAC 12 schools

I think we all expected this. There will be a nice west coast pod. Oregon is the real prize for football revenue.
The Big Ten is not targeting any PAC-12 schools at this time and the article is silly. If the Big Ten was interested in any other PAC schools it would have added them over the summer before they worked out a TV deal. Not to mention the Big Ten doesn’t even have a commissioner right now, so who exactly would be leading this?

This is just wishcasting by fans of those schools or maybe a deliberate attempt by the PAC schools to try to showcase value in light of their TV negotiations. It kinda reads like “sign us ESPN or else our best schools will go to the Big Ten and you won’t have any good west coast teams”.

The Big Ten is not targeting any PAC-12 schools at this time and the article says s silly. If the Big Ten was interested in any other PAC schools it would have added them over the summer before they worked out a TV deal. Not to mention the Big Ten doesn’t even have a commissioner right now, so who exactly would be leading this?

This is just wishcasting by fans of those schools or maybe a deliberate attempt by the PAC schools to try to showcase value in light of their TV negotiations. It kinda reads like “sign us ESPN or else our best schools will go to the Big Ten and you won’t have any good west coast teams”.
We all know the Big Ten and SEC aren't done. It's a matter of when. And the TV contract will be renegotiated if they add teams if that wasn't already include when they negotiated.

The Big Ten is not targeting any PAC-12 schools at this time and the article is silly. If the Big Ten was interested in any other PAC schools it would have added them over the summer before they worked out a TV deal. Not to mention the Big Ten doesn’t even have a commissioner right now, so who exactly would be leading this?

Do you have inside information? There are multiple articles about this topic out there.

ASU, Utah and Colorado produce 0 national interest in terms of tv ratings. Oregon generates top 10-15 level tv ratings and as such they are a valuable addition. Washington does ok with tv ratings. Stanford and Cal serve no football revenue purpose, but likely are valuable additions for some school presidents that want academic affiliation with the Bay area/Silicon Valley.
Stanford and Cal produce 0 national interest in terms of tv ratings as well, but they keep getting mentioned. I’m not saying they should be admitted but I’m just surprised they aren’t even mentioned in any way.

If the presidents/ chancellors want to come to some sort of agreement with Stanford and Cal then fine. They can have some sort of sharing agreement for library resources and research cooperation, (the academic equivalent of the Big Ten letting Johns Hopkins and Notre Dame take part in some Big Ten sports). Just don’t add them to the football conference where they will be 2 teams that bring in nothing but take out equal shares to dilute the revenue stream and produce matchups no one wants to see.

Stanford and Cal produce 0 national interest in terms of tv ratings as well, but they keep getting mentioned. I’m not saying they should be admitted but I’m just surprised they aren’t even mentioned in any way.

If the presidents/ chancellors want to come to some sort of agreement with Stanford and Cal then fine. They can have some sort of sharing agreement for library resources and research cooperation, (the academic equivalent of the Big Ten letting Johns Hopkins and Notre Dame take part in some Big Ten sports). Just don’t add them to the football conference where they will be 2 teams that bring in nothing but take out equal shares to dilute the revenue stream and produce matchups no one wants to see.
I agree, but if they came in at a fractional revenue share there may be some value there. I would take only one of the cal/stanford duo at a fractional revenue share plus oregon and washington. I would also take one of the better remaining Texas schools (tcu) out of the big 12 to get a foothold in that state and aim for fsu when the acc gor expires to ensure the conference has a presence in high growth states as well.

I agree, but if they came in at a fractional revenue share there may be some value there. I would take only one of the cal/stanford duo at a fractional revenue share plus oregon and washington. I would also take one of the better remaining Texas schools (tcu) out of the big 12 to get a foothold in that state and aim for fsu when the acc gor expires to ensure the conference has a presence in high growth states as well.
You are missing the big point, we can't just add top teams to a conference that already features the hardest path to the championship due to depth. The SEC wins titles because they have the easiest path to the playoffs and their champion gets their with the least amount of wear because the conference is a paper tiger. Without adding teams like Cal, Stanford, Oregon State or Washington State, all you do is force the top teams in the league to play more top teams. Even when the national football invitational tournament expands, a second loss will very likely eliminate most teams. The Big Ten will add additional teams and everything I am hearing (yes, I have sources) strongly suggests 36 to 40 teams is one of several courses of action.

You are missing the big point, we can't just add top teams to a conference that already features the hardest path to the championship due to depth. The SEC wins titles because they have the easiest path to the playoffs and their champion gets their with the least amount of wear because the conference is a paper tiger. Without adding teams like Cal, Stanford, Oregon State or Washington State, all you do is force the top teams in the league to play more top teams. Even when the national football invitational tournament expands, a second loss will very likely eliminate most teams. The Big Ten will add additional teams and everything I am hearing (yes, I have sources) strongly suggests 36 to 40 teams is one of several courses of action.
Let’s be honest that UCLA is not exactly a juggernaut and they will struggle like Nebraska or Maryland. I agree you have to add different levels of competition. Personally, I would love to add Washington State, but we know that won’t happen because their ratings footprint is very small. I would like to add UNLV because the road trip would be a lot of fun, but obviously that school would struggle as well.

What if the ACC ceases to exist? Don't underestimate the ability to programs to get out of contracts.
But look at our above conversation of tiers...

The SEC and Big Ten simply don't want all those teams. Tier 1...yes. Tier 2...maybe. Definitely not the other 8 or 9 ACC schools.

The only scenario...and it's a wild one...is if we got to a 3-mega-conference world...the Big 12 (who is about to eat up a big part of the Pac-12) and the SEC and Big Ten.

But in reality, it'd be the SEC and Big Ten...and the Big 12 would be a step down.

The SEC and Big Ten simply don't want all those teams. Tier 1...yes. Tier 2...maybe. Definitely not the other 8 or 9 ACC schools.

The only scenario...and it's a wild one...is if we got to a 3-mega-conference world...the Big 12 (who is about to eat up a big part of the Pac-12) and the SEC and Big Ten.

But in reality, it'd be the SEC and Big Ten...and the Big 12 would be a step down.
There are multiple courses of actions on the table to include the Big Ten becoming it's own division from what I have been told. Everything from a 20 to 24 team conference in a world where there will likely be four national conferences on the small end and a 48 team league with four or eight divisions that breaks away from the rest of college football which I think is the desired end result with a few options in between.

The Big XIII would be a step down but a super conference of what is left of the Big XII, Pac XII and ACC along with bringing in some MWC or CUSA schools good be huge.

I do think we're heading for three tiers of FBS within 10 years.

I also think you're underestimating who the SEC and Big Ten will take. We know Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Va Tech, UNC will go to the SEC or Big Ten. Ga Tech and Lousville also will get a long look. Pitt and UVa might as well. I don't think it's a dire for many of them as you're claiming.

There are multiple courses of actions on the table to include the Big Ten becoming it's own division from what I have been told. Everything from a 20 to 24 team conference in a world where there will likely be four national conferences on the small end and a 48 team league with four or eight divisions that breaks away from the rest of college football which I think is the desired end result with a few options in between.
Yeah, this is what I think happens. The SEC and Big Ten go to 24--the end up each having 4 or 3 divisions and create their own 12 team playoff as they watch the money reign in.

Then you'll have the leftover teams for the ACC, Big XII, Pac XII and some from the MWC and CUSA form something comparable as the second level. 48-64 teams--12-16 team playoff that will also have a huge TV contract

Then the Sun Belt, MAC, etc form a third level with some of the top FCS teams.

College football (for better or worse) won't be recognizable to what it is today within a decade. Personally, I think that's a good thing but I know many will hate it.

Reactions: GSL
The Big XIII would be a step down but a super conference of what is left of the Big XII, Pac XII and ACC along with bringing in some MWC or CUSA schools good be huge.

I do think we're heading for three tiers of FBS within 10 years.

I also think you're underestimating who the SEC and Big Ten will take. We know Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Va Tech, UNC will go to the SEC or Big Ten. Ga Tech and Lousville also will get a long look. Pitt and UVa might as well. I don't think it's a dire for many of them as you're claiming.
I don't see the attraction of Miami. They have merely an average football program and they have a tradition of poor fan support.

ETA: I just did the math and they're 141-97 in the 19 seasons since they joined the ACC. That comes out to 7.1 wins and 4.9 losses if you normalize it to 12 games. And that's the not-that-great ACC. They're 87-67 in ACC play.

Last edited:
I don't see the attraction of Miami. They have merely an average football program and they have a tradition of poor fan support.

That pretty much sums up much of the Big Ten as well. ;)

Too many are looking at the quality of the programs, which, yes is a factor. But if you look at the B1G's strategy, it's all about the huge markets ($$$$) which absolutely dwarfs the rest of the country including the SEC. Like it or not, the B1G is a monster that many other programs around the country wish they were part of

I’d have a slightly different take-

Tier 1- FSU, Clemson
Tier 2- UNC, Miami, VA Tech
Tier 3- UVA, NC St, Pitt
Nah- Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, Louisville, BC

Since basketball is controlled by the ncaa, it’s all about football money. Realistically, tier 3 and below are non factors other than maybe filling out any open Big 12 spots.

The next step, if this arms race continues, is to break up conferences and create new ones. I just don’t see that happening anytime soon, but eventually the top schools will realize there are no more teams out there that add enough $$ individually to a conference. So, to increase payouts, you now have to decrease the number of dead weight teams in a conference that bring in very little $$ but take the same payout as the top teams.
I respectfully disagree. If the Big Ten and SEC turn into 20+ school super-conferences, Georgia Tech will receive an invite from the B1G. I’m not sure there’s a better candidate than a top-tier academic school that plants your conference’s flag firmly in the SEC’s backyard.

*this is assuming the Big Ten has already raided the Pac-12 and/or landed Notre Dame.

I respectfully disagree. If the Big Ten and SEC turn into 20+ school super-conferences, Georgia Tech will receive an invite from the B1G. I’m not sure there’s a better candidate than a top-tier academic school that plants your conference’s flag firmly in the SEC’s backyard.

*this is assuming the Big Ten has already raided the Pac-12 and/or landed Notre Dame.

I think the conferences have moved on from just taking teams near population centers if there’s no real public interest, (Rutgers, Missouri). The tv networks aren’t going to fork out big bucks for lousy matchups no one wants to see.

Georgia Tech technically may be in the SEC’s backyard but absolutely no one in Georgia, (including Atlanta), gives a duck fart about Georgia Tech. It’s all UGA.

IMO, if the Big Ten was going to go after SEC territory it would be Florida State, Miami, or Clemson most likely.

If they take FSU and Miami, they suddenly have a major foothold in Florida, (where there are also a lot of northern and midwestern transplants). FSU moves from a basketball conference into a football conference (predominantly) and gets a major infusion of cash. Suddenly FSU and Miami are playing Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, UCLA, etc. I really think the FSU program would be back to it’s old self quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think the conferences have moved on from just taking teams near population centers if there’s no real public interest, (Rutgers, Missouri). The tv networks aren’t going to fork out big bucks for lousy matchups no one wants to see.

Georgia Tech technically may be in the SEC’s backyard but absolutely no one in Georgia, (including Atlanta), gives a duck fart about Georgia Tech. It’s all UGA.

IMO, if the Big Ten was going to go after SEC territory it would be Florida State, Miami, or Clemson most likely.

If they take FSU and Miami, they suddenly have a major foothold in Florida, (where there are also a lot of northern and midwestern transplants). FSU moves from a basketball conference into a football conference (predominantly) and gets a major infusion of cash. Suddenly FSU and Miami are playing Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, UCLA, etc. I really think the FSU program would be back to it’s old self quickly.
Georgia Tech makes sense too though. Yes FSU and Clemson more so...Miami too. But GA Tech will be in if they do raid the ACC. We'll go to 24 as will the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT