ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland's Progressive Field $200m renovation

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
Progressive Field, Once known as "The Jake", has long been considered one of the top ballparks in America. IT was the second HOK-designed stadium after Baltimore's but I feel like the designers learned a lot and incorporated a lot of changes. It was built in 1994 making it the 11th oldest, now, in MLB. I've been to a dozen MBL stadiums and still put it near the top. (my favorite being Pittsburgh and my second favorite being SFO). So they are putting $200m into it next year and released a video.

With the Beav in mind, I thought I'd post this. Its been getting a lot of play. And I think the CLE franchise is one of the best run in all of sports. I believe they have one of the top five records since the stadium opened and clearly are the best when you factor in salary per win. I think this may be the future of baseball, and perhaps, all of major sports.

Regardless all of that, the underlying notion is that people don't go to games anymore to watch the games but want to go to an 'event'. The real money on sports is the TV audience. But ticket sales, parking and food money is also attractive. So the notion is to make a baseball game an event. Here the game will be secondary to the event of attending. They are creating a ton of gathering space whether that be as a corporate space or just an open place to have a beer and mingle before, during and after the game. I personally like it a lot. Nothing like going to a baseball game in the summer. At the new field, you can get there an hour early and linger for an hour after the game while enjoying a few pops and some top end food in a nice place to sit and meet some people of the opposite sex (or same, or just to entertain). Great concept and I can't wait for it.

Progressive Field, Once known as "The Jake", has long been considered one of the top ballparks in America. IT was the second HOK-designed stadium after Baltimore's but I feel like the designers learned a lot and incorporated a lot of changes. It was built in 1994 making it the 11th oldest, now, in MLB. I've been to a dozen MBL stadiums and still put it near the top. (my favorite being Pittsburgh and my second favorite being SFO). So they are putting $200m into it next year and released a video.

With the Beav in mind, I thought I'd post this. Its been getting a lot of play. And I think the CLE franchise is one of the best run in all of sports. I believe they have one of the top five records since the stadium opened and clearly are the best when you factor in salary per win. I think this may be the future of baseball, and perhaps, all of major sports.

Regardless all of that, the underlying notion is that people don't go to games anymore to watch the games but want to go to an 'event'. The real money on sports is the TV audience. But ticket sales, parking and food money is also attractive. So the notion is to make a baseball game an event. Here the game will be secondary to the event of attending. They are creating a ton of gathering space whether that be as a corporate space or just an open place to have a beer and mingle before, during and after the game. I personally like it a lot. Nothing like going to a baseball game in the summer. At the new field, you can get there an hour early and linger for an hour after the game while enjoying a few pops and some top end food in a nice place to sit and meet some people of the opposite sex (or same, or just to entertain). Great concept and I can't wait for it.

I saw the very first ball game there, which was a preseason game in 1994 against the Pirates. Since then, I've seen several games there, and it is one of my favorite places to see a MLB game. FYI, one of the games that I saw was a Saturday afternoon game in June 1994 against the Red Sox when Roger Clemens pitched. This game was the day after the O.J. Simpson chase, and my uncle, brother and I sat in the left field bleachers. This game had to be one of the hottest sporting events that I ever attended.

Although I'm from Pittsburgh, I've attended many Indians' games over the years, including many at the old stadium.

LOVE the renovations, can’t wait to check them out when we visit family this summer. Thank goodness they removed the shipping containers in right field, as well as changing up the restaurant along the third base line… Coors Field started that trend of “gathering spaces” and everyone else is (rightfully) trying to mimic it. And you hit the nail on the head re: events.

I haven’t been to the Jake but I agree with your favs. PIT and SFO. I love the nostalgia of Fenway and Wrigley as well, but it’s tough to beat the views of the other two.

Stadiums need to continue to innovate to enhance the in-stadium experience AND make the stadiums available 365 days per year for dining and events.

Pop quiz:. After Wrigley and Dodger Stadium, what’s the third oldest stadium in the NL?

$200MM taxpayer funded renovation of a stadium in a rapidly declining sport in a declining city…no thanks.

$200MM taxpayer funded renovation of a stadium in a rapidly declining sport in a declining city…no thanks.
I always view these as economic development. They provide a central source for a tax base as well as improve the quality of life. Without major sports, cities become “also rans” in my opinion. Its rate to find a large city without a single sports team. Austin is the outlier.

I always view these as economic development. They provide a central source for a tax base as well as improve the quality of life. Without major sports, cities become “also rans” in my opinion. Its rate to find a large city without a single sports team. Austin is the outlier.

The average attendance was 17K in 2022…that’s pretty darn low…lower than a MLS team. I have no doubt that they’re important to cleveland, but they’re putting lipstick on a pig

The average attendance was 17K in 2022…that’s pretty darn low…lower than a MLS team. I have no doubt that they’re important to cleveland, but they’re putting lipstick on a pig
At their height in the 90s, they went about 3 years with completely full field for everygame.

I went to the Jake in the mid-90s with my father and several others who were the guests of Bank One. (I believe) Bank One snookered my father into a rotten investment that lost him about $15,000 as a result of that outing. Notwithstanding that I don't like baseball, I had a very good time with all of the amenities. (Nice food served, ability to walk around comfortably, strategically placed TVs et cet.) There was a real baseball game to be watched as opposed to what I describe below.

the underlying notion is that people don't go to games anymore to watch the games but want to go to an 'event'.
I got invited to a Cincinnati Reds game and the Reds go by this philosophy. Can't stand it. Goofy kissing cams and loud noise (aka music) during the whole game. From my perspective, baseball is so boring and slow that they have to juice it up. If others like it, more power to them. However, my first visit to the Reds was the last.

Clevelanders are very sports minded. 20 years ago, I would say they would be the most fanatic of any sports base. I used to be a huge Browns fan until they became so terrible.
I’d imagine this is probably why a lot of Clevelanders are fine with extending the sin tax. The Browns relocating after getting their new stadium rejected is likely still on their minds when this stuff pops up. At least that’s what I’ve heard from my anecdotal experiences.

Looks good. Interested to see the final product. As a sports fan who has very little interest in attending games I like it.

I’d imagine this is probably why a lot of Clevelanders are fine with extending the sin tax. The Browns relocating after getting their new stadium rejected is likely still on their minds when this stuff pops up. At least that’s what I’ve heard from my anecdotal experiences.
When they built that stadium and relocated the cavaliers to the same area they introduced hundreds of events every year. These include 82 baseball, 41 NBA games and probably 50/100 concerts. Many of these in winter when nobody would be downtown. That drew parking, bars, clubs, restaurants, and hotels. Add in player and employee salaries. Then factor in travel as people fly/drive in to see games/concerts. All of that is taxed. That area of Cleveland was a mess and is now a thriving area for nightlife. It has also dragged in high rise housing which is fairly affordable and fun. I lived downtown for a year and loved it. I could here the cheer of a Jim Thome or Albert Bell home run through my windows before setting it on TV.

My point is that it ends up being paid for. My hotel at the rose bowl was booked by chargers and rams fans going to Sofi stadium for their game before the rose bowl. Without that game, the hotel would have been empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
When they built that stadium and relocated the cavaliers to the same area they introduced hundreds of events every year. These include 82 baseball, 41 NBA games and probably 50/100 concerts. Many of these in winter when nobody would be downtown. That drew parking, bars, clubs, restaurants, and hotels. Add in player and employee salaries. Then factor in travel as people fly/drive in to see games/concerts. All of that is taxed. That area of Cleveland was a mess and is now a thriving area for nightlife. It has also dragged in high rise housing which is fairly affordable and fun. I lived directing for a year and loved it. I could here the cheer of a Jim Thome or Albert Bell home run through my windows before setting it on TV.

My point is that it ends up being paid for. My hotel at the rose bowl was booked by chargers and rams fans going to Sofi stadium for their game before the rose bowl. Without that game, the hotel would have been empty.
The problem is research shows that is a myth. In reality it does very little to fuel the economy. What you don't account for is the the lost revenue elsewhere. For example a Cleveland family goes to a game across town. Before the game they go out to dinner. The proponents want you to think that is new money spent that otherwise wouldn't be spent. They fail to account for fixed entertainment budgets. In reality likely that family is not going to go out to dinner locally because they spent all that money in another part of the city. So in reality you are just moving tax revenue around and not creating new tax revenue. The spending on these stadiums for exceeds the little new tax revenue created.

Reactions: NittanyTerp
Does the sun ever shine in your world?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The problem is research shows that is a myth. In reality it does very little to fuel the economy. What you don't account for is the the lost revenue elsewhere. For example a Cleveland family goes to a game across town. Before the game they go out to dinner. The proponents want you to think that is new money spent that otherwise wouldn't be spent. They fail to account for fixed entertainment budgets. In reality likely that family is not going to go out to dinner locally because they spent all that money in another part of the city. So in reality you are just moving tax revenue around and not creating new tax revenue. The spending on these stadiums for exceeds the little new tax revenue created.
That's a completely intellectual, pedantic argument. The presence of pro sports teams is the greatest free source of PR for a city, not to mention what the success of a team can do for a city's psyche (see 1970s Pittsburgh, early 1990s Buffalo, etc.). Let's face it, without its sports teams, cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, KC, etc., would be little more than glorified Fort Waynes or Tulsas, despite how many good restaurants or symphonies they have. This economic argument also assumes that people actually would spend money for other amusements if there were no sports teams; maybe they just would sit home and watch other cities' teams.

I know that my tax dollars that I pay to Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh go to a lot of things that don't interest mean, but I realize that it's for the good of the community. and the same goes for people whose taxes go to pay for stadia.

That's a completely intellectual, pedantic argument. The presence of pro sports teams is the greatest free source of PR for a city, not to mention what the success of a team can do for a city's psyche (see 1970s Pittsburgh, early 1990s Buffalo, etc.). Let's face it, without its sports teams, cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, KC, etc., would be little more than glorified Fort Waynes or Tulsas, despite how many good restaurants or symphonies they have. This economic argument also assumes that people actually would spend money for other amusements if there were no sports teams; maybe they just would sit home and watch other cities' teams.

I know that my tax dollars that I pay to Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh go to a lot of things that don't interest mean, but I realize that it's for the good of the community. and the same goes for people whose taxes go to pay for stadia.
You are saying that as a sports fan. Majority of people don't care about sports. I know your tax dollars are going to a lot of things that don't interest you but those activities are not making money for billionaires. If I am a billionaire who owns an Opera making me millions a year should I be asking the tax payers to spend millions to renovate my theater?

That what the studies data have found. That economics do not support spending tax payer money. If you think the PR is worth the money then that fine. But do not pretend that it pays for it self through increased taxes.

I don't agree with this at all. If not for a cool sporting event, I wouldn't go out. For example, the Rose Bowl. I spent $3,000 (most I did with points but those have value too) that I would not have spent if it weren't for the game being played. People came from all over the nation and stayed in hotels, rented cars, flew/drove, and dined out. Not only did I go to the game but took in Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier. I wouldn't have done any of that if not for the Rose Bowl being in Pasadena. If the rose bowl was in Casper Wyoming, I would have spent that money there.

Furthermore, all of the local "sports bars" (Panini, BW3, etc.) all get heightened traffic on sports nights. Most of those are centered around local teams in CLE (Browns, Guards, Cavs, Buckeyes). Those crowds would be much smaller. There is a reason why the city of St. Louis sued the NFL (and won almost $800m).

I used to believe what you said but when CLE tore down a perfect facility in Richfield and moved the Cavs to the city, I saw a rebirth in that area that was once close to a slum. Today it is a thriving entrance corridor to the city off of the primary interstate network (almost everything feeds from the south because the North is a lake). I also feel that PSU would be a cow pasture if not for football. OK, I exaggerate, but we see universities that haven't invested in sports in middle America and they are substantially smaller than those with a large sports presence.

You are saying that as a sports fan. Majority of people don't care about sports. I know your tax dollars are going to a lot of things that don't interest you but those activities are not making money for billionaires. If I am a billionaire who owns an Opera making me millions a year should I be asking the tax payers to spend millions to renovate my theater?

That what the studies data have found. That economics do not support spending tax payer money. If you think the PR is worth the money then that fine. But do not pretend that it pays for it self through increased taxes.
You do realize that if there weren't new, modern sports arenas, these cities also would be passed by for the major concerts, like what was happening in Pittsburgh before the new arena for the Penguins was built, as well as other events such as ice shows, the Harlem Globetrotters, Monster Truck shows, conventions, etc. Therefore, your argument further would dilute the entertainment options of a region. That's why public financing of stadia and arenas is an unfortunate necessity.

Since the spring of 2020, downtown Pittsburgh, despite being much nicer than many other Rust Belt cities, has turned into a relative ghost town that was caused by the Covid shutdowns. I can't imagine what it would be like if the Penguins weren't playing there for upwards of 50 nights a year plus all of the other events that take place in that arena. If that arena had not been built, the Penguins were going to move, probably to KC. Likewise, the Pirates would not be ibn Pittsburgh without PNC Park, which accounts for at least 81 dates throughout the year. That's at least 130 days of the year on which people are attracted to the city who otherwise wouldn't be, plus the upwards of 15 days for the Steelers and Pitt. There are no other events that could make those dates up, and you need places in which to hold those events.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this at all. If not for a cool sporting event, I wouldn't go out. For example, the Rose Bowl. I spent $3,000 (most I did with points but those have value too) that I would not have spent if it weren't for the game being played. People came from all over the nation and stayed in hotels, rented cars, flew/drove, and dined out. Not only did I go to the game but took in Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier. I wouldn't have done any of that if not for the Rose Bowl being in Pasadena. If the rose bowl was in Casper Wyoming, I would have spent that money there.

Furthermore, all of the local "sports bars" (Panini, BW3, etc.) all get heightened traffic on sports nights. Most of those are centered around local teams in CLE (Browns, Guards, Cavs, Buckeyes). Those crowds would be much smaller. There is a reason why the city of St. Louis sued the NFL (and won almost $800m).

I used to believe what you said but when CLE tore down a perfect facility in Richfield and moved the Cavs to the city, I saw a rebirth in that area that was once close to a slum. Today it is a thriving entrance corridor to the city off of the primary interstate network (almost everything feeds from the south because the North is a lake). I also feel that PSU would be a cow pasture if not for football. OK, I exaggerate, but we see universities that haven't invested in sports in middle America and they are substantially smaller than those with a large sports presence.
The only reason, and I repeat the only reason, that people know anything about most universities and cities is because of their sports teams. Take them away and these schools and cities would be totally anonymous places.

Reactions: Obliviax
The only reason, and I repeat the only reason, that people know anything about most universities and cities is because of their sports teams. Take them away and these schools and cities would be totally anonymous places.
Agreed. It is funny, most people don't know that Central Florida, Florida International, and the GA state all land in the top ten largest universities in America by enrollment. They have all recently begun to build football programs but ten years ago, few ever heard of them.

Not to be outdone, Pittsburgh announces major changes to PNC Park 😂

cool...I love the locally sourced foods in the summer and more healthy options. What CLE is doing is creating a lot more free spaces that will be used for meat markets (meeting people) and for lease as corporate events. They've really done a lot of work to bring in women fans. There are several gals trying to create sports blogs that are interesting. While they track the team's success, they really do a lot more on entertainment, events and player/fan stories. By that I mean interviewing fans that come in from out of town, fans that are recognized by the team (vets, cancer survivors) and team charities. It is an interesting tangential play that I haven't seen other sports teams get involved with. For example, here are two gals that call themselves 'Almost Rich, Almost Famous" who do a lot of Cavalier's stuff and have actually gotten a fill-in sports show on local radio. So there are beginning to be streamed content surrounding the teams. The teams are promoting it along with their highly produced content.

If you know a hot gal that wants to get into sports, just start a blog and let if fly.

1*vO9mfUhaHh3fWJeDhu8oUw.gif

Reactions: HailToPitt725

This is what leadership looks like. Imagine how much better it would be if they brought back the iconic Ïndians"name.

Meanwhile, in Chicago... It will be interesting to see how things progress. Moving the stadium to the burbs is a bit mind-boggling to me. My guess is that it was a negotiation tactic by the Bears to procure the Arlington Racetrack. A small price to pay in return for city funds to totally renovate Soldier Field. The latest videos by the downtown developer are pretty impressive.

Reactions: Obliviax
Meanwhile, in Chicago... It will be interesting to see how things progress. Moving the stadium to the burbs is a bit mind-boggling to me. My guess is that it was a negotiation tactic by the Bears to procure the Arlington Racetrack. A small price to pay in return for city funds to totally renovate Soldier Field. The latest videos by the downtown developer are pretty impressive.
My understanding is that the Bears want a stadium like Atlanta, Indy and Minny have so that they can begin to host things like the Super Bowl, Final Four and College Playoff games. I have a feeling that this has a lot to do with them hiring the former Big 10 Commissioner, because he was involved in a stadium development for another NFL team.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My understanding is that the Bears want a stadium like Atlanta, Indy and Minny have so that they can begin to host things like the Super Bowl, Final Four and College Playoff games. I have a feeling that this has a lot to do with them hiring the former Big 10 Commissioner, because he was involved in a stadium development for another NFL team.
If they want to host those types of events, it would seem to make sense to building in downtown. 🤷‍♂️ The location of Soldier Field is fantastic. I was there for a game years ago (after the remodel) but even then, the amenities were lacking. They can certainly use an upgrade and I hope they stay downtown.

If they want to host those types of events, it would seem to make sense to building in downtown. 🤷‍♂️ The location of Soldier Field is fantastic. I was there for a game years ago (after the remodel) but even then, the amenities were lacking. They can certainly use an upgrade and I hope they stay downtown.
I would love to see them build it in an area that is declining. Soldier field, with the proximity to the lake, is probably pretty valuable. In CLE, the city made a huge mistake building the stadium on the lakefront. New lakefront communities are getting we over $1m a copy for the lot these days.

cool...I love the locally sourced foods in the summer and more healthy options. What CLE is doing is creating a lot more free spaces that will be used for meat markets (meeting people) and for lease as corporate events. They've really done a lot of work to bring in women fans. There are several gals trying to create sports blogs that are interesting. While they track the team's success, they really do a lot more on entertainment, events and player/fan stories. By that I mean interviewing fans that come in from out of town, fans that are recognized by the team (vets, cancer survivors) and team charities. It is an interesting tangential play that I haven't seen other sports teams get involved with. For example, here are two gals that call themselves 'Almost Rich, Almost Famous" who do a lot of Cavalier's stuff and have actually gotten a fill-in sports show on local radio. So there are beginning to be streamed content surrounding the teams. The teams are promoting it along with their highly produced content.

If you know a hot gal that wants to get into sports, just start a blog and let if fly.

1*vO9mfUhaHh3fWJeDhu8oUw.gif
here is another gal trying to get a start in the sports blog community in CLE. She is actually from Youngstown, I believe. Her stuff can be pretty cringe-worthy, to me, but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know she is just starting, and learning, but clubs have been giving her access and tips to keep her going.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT