ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals 2.0

Glad Dressler went to Iowa State and not Pitt.
That's a great call. Dresser at Pitt would be problematic for the rest of the perennial 2-5th teams. He likely could build a consistent podium team with an occasional shot at the champs.

If I were the hawks I would be worried about a strong ISU that could siphon off more midwest blue chips now that they have a competitive program. Happy as a Nit for ISU to be stronger and tOSU to be weaker....

Last edited:
great dual. brooks was pinned (we know all about getting the benefit of the doubt here as i'm sure you'll all remind me haha). very good performance from dean. 197 is nuts. wish we could have seen swiderski-bartlett. paniro-svn went about how i expected. that dude is for real. still don't see the point in pulling haines. you don't need him this year. i don't think there's a meaningful ncaa points difference between him and barraclough.

The only real damage this loss does for Brooks is that he won't be considered for the Hodge.

This won't change Brooks's seed. No one is going to rank a 1-loss Keckeisen ahead of a 1-loss Brooks. The other seeding criteria will likely be a push, Coach's rank will put Brooks as the 1 seed.
Disagree -- it depends on how Keckeisen does the rest of the year. If he wins out thru B12s, then he will have pinned 2 Hidlay and twice beaten 4 Coleman.

If he does that, he absolutely will have the coaches' rank + strength of schedule.

But it won't matter, Aaron is winning in March.

Reactions: diggerpup
Have to give credit to Coleman. Part of being a gracious fan of a mighty dynasty is giving an underdog proper kudos when they pull off an upset and not just immediately responding with “Brooks will win next time” (which he will, 😉). Coleman not only got the big 6 point move, with a possible pin that wasn’t called, but he got a huge reversal in the 3rd when AB was coming for him hard. Great job, young man.

Last edited:
Coleman dec. Brooks 9-7
Coleman dec. Assad 3-2

The proof is in the the pudding folks. Assad is the favorite against Brooks moving forward.
mj-michael-jordan.gif

Even though it was a bummer to see Aaron lose, he showed great sportsmanship in the loss. His response didn't surprise me at all. He seems to be an awesome young man. I see him taking the loss in stride and not letting it define him going forward. I still view him as a big favorite at the National tournament. And as others have mentioned, his loss just highlights how amazing Cael's 159-0 was.
I agree. His response to this loss reminded me of Ed Ruth’s reaction when he lost to Gabe Dean at the Scuffle. Both congratulated their opponent for a good match.

This Coleman loss won't change Brooks's seed. No one is going to rank a 1-loss Keckeisen ahead of a 1-loss Brooks. Even if the other seeding criteria is a push, Coach's rank will put Brooks as the 1 seed.

Disagree -- it depends on how Keckeisen does the rest of the year. If he wins out thru B12s, then he will have pinned 2 Hidlay and twice beaten 4 Coleman.

If he does that, he absolutely will have the coaches' rank + strength of schedule.

But it won't matter, Aaron is winning in March.
Why would that matter for Coach's ranking? Coach's rank how they want to & they're not going to rank Brooks 2nd, nor should they.
Hidlay & Coleman are just numbers in a formula for the "quality wins" & RPI criteria. Brooks could have more "quality wins" than Keckeisen by the end of the season too. Brooks's B10 schedule & tourney likely gives him similar to higher RPI.
What Keckeisen could have Brooks on is "Common Opponents" w/ Coleman wins, which is 10 seeding points.
Here's the chart -- reminder that "quality wins" are those that are over NCAA Tourney Qualifiers.

d1Hbc1M.jpg

White rarely got dinged. Cenzo had to beat his head for over 7 minutes to sufficiently wear him out and then take him down in the OT period.

Hidlay wrestles Brooks with 1 1/2 feet oob and has been dinged twice.

Van Ness is most likely going to have to learn big time patience or develop something that provides severe angles.
Patience seems to be the key against Johnson. Three of PSU's biggest turnarounds against certain opponents have been because they learned patience. RBY against Desanto, Carter against Kemmerer and Nick Lee against Eierman. I'd also throw in RBY against Fix as well but that's not a turnaround it's just that he learned not to force things. If SVN learns that he'll be a top 3 (at least) this year.

Hats off to Coleman--that was one heck of an elevator, I would not have been surprised at all if the fall had been called, and yeah, his reversal sealed the deal. He had himself a weekend--taking out Cardenas the way he did, etc. Wrestler of the week for certain.

In general, Dresser has made some significant strides, and I bet it impacts recruiting to a degree moving forward. They got a good thing going in Ames.

Patience seems to be the key against Johnson. Three of PSU's biggest turnarounds against certain opponents have been because they learned patience. RBY against Desanto, Carter against Kemmerer and Nick Lee against Eierman. I'd also throw in RBY against Fix as well but that's not a turnaround it's just that he learned not to force things. If SVN learns that he'll be a top 3 (at least) this year.
Yeah--overall, to my eye, Shayne is already on the path. He seems far less "sloppy" than he did last year w/ his aggressive style. In the end though--his attack set up the only TD of the bout last night, so he'll have to adjust and be ready for that shrug/go-behind. Man, is Johnson quick. IMO, he avoids that, he wins easily in SV on stalling (if not a successful attack).

Have to give credit to Coleman. Part of being a gracious fan of a mighty dynasty is giving an underdog proper kudos when they pull off an upset and not just immediately responding with “Brooks will win next time” (which he will, 😉). Coleman not only got the big 6 point move, with a possible pin that wasn’t called, but he got a huge reversal in the 3rd when AB was coming for him hard. Great job, young man.
Brooks actually has a weakness, he panics when he's behind. He did it against Amine last year and the adrenaline rush letdown killed his gas tank. IMO he needed to take a beat and calm himself before the 3rd period. Instead he got sloppy and allowed the reverse when a clearer head would have let him realize he needed to just catch and release the whole period. Messing around on the mat is why he lost. I personally don't think it matters and still make him an overwhelming favorite in March though, last night will only refocus him.

Yeah--overall, to my eye, Shayne is already on the path. He seems far less "sloppy" than he did last year w/ his aggressive style. In the end though--his attack set up the only TD of the bout last night, so he'll have to adjust and be ready for that shrug/go-behind. Man, is Johnson quick. IMO, he avoids that, he wins easily in SV on stalling (if not a successful attack).
Fretwell made a great point too about how SVN could have pushed the pace more in the first as well. If he does that and gets a stall call Johnson's game plan would have gone out the window.

Brooks actually has a weakness, he panics when he's behind. He did it against Amine last year and the adrenaline rush letdown killed his gas tank. IMO he needed to take a beat and calm himself before the 3rd period. Instead he got sloppy and allowed the reverse when a clearer head would have let him realize he needed to just catch and release the whole period. Messing around on the mat is why he lost. I personally don't think it matters and still make him an overwhelming favorite in March though, last night will only refocus him.
That's the thing that I took away from that.

AB needs to play catch and release with these guys. Or make them run, and get them stalled out. Instead, he tried to force something on the mat and it didn't work out at all.

Reactions: Ski
I agree. His response to this loss reminded me of Ed Ruth’s reaction when he lost to Gabe Dean at the Scuffle. Both congratulated their opponent for a good match.
Aaron was on the mats after the trophy presentation, talking with anyone who came by. My wife and I got pictures with him- he said he was blessed. You would never have known he lost.

All around class act.

I’m on board, but want to hear more. Continue…
Just speaking for myself, but I think we are better at 141, 149, 157, and 165 than I thought before the year
AB--actually probably will benefit the team as I doubt he loses again this year

Van Ness--I see top 4. Good to get a good feel and the natural hunger to improve

Beau--not sure. Could place or nothing. Too close against good opponents. I wonder if a move to 33 next year is a consideration

Carter--not worried

Facunda--similar to Beau. Be in every match, not sure about offense on elite opponents

Levi--better option if PSU feels they need him

Steen--should be very solid next year. Doubt Howard completes a year
disagree on Bartlett , he’s right there this year with top 4

Basing your strategy on getting a stall call isn't a reliable plan. How often have we seen wrestlers run away for 7 minutes without getting dinged?

Cael is the best at making adjustments after watching a match. With his help, I'm guessing SVN will break through PJ's defense for at least 1 TD next time.

Reactions: chlion
One other key takeaway that hasn't been discussed. I wasn't very impressed with Kerk in the final. He just didn't do a friggin thing. When was the last time he didn't even get one takedown. Frankly, I was bored.

That's a great call. Dresser at Pitt would be problematic for the rest of the perennial 2-5th teams. He likely could build a consistent podium team with an occasional shot at the champs.

If I were the hawks I would be worried about a strong ISU that could siphon off more midwest blue chips now that they have a competitive program. Happy as a Nit for ISU to be stronger and tOSU to be weaker....
If I were Pitt, I'd wait till Cenzo leaves his shoes on the mat and bring him back home to Pittsburgh.

Like you said, tight knit group. My grandpa used to use his boat to rescue people during the various floods. He was a giant in the town back in the day: Carlton Mendenhall. As a teen, he trapped for firs on the sock to save enough money to join the masons, rose in the ranks all the way

The wrestling fans probably want us to shut up at this point, but it’s crazy—I used to walk past your house on the way to/from school. Love this community we have here.

Now: to the task at hand—let’s close out the coach’s alma matter tour with a big W!
Hi neighbors---I grew up on Elm St. across Chestnut from the LittleLeague Field. I lament the loss of Cellini's, one of America's great sub shops.

Hi neighbors---I grew up on Elm St. across Chestnut from the LittleLeague Field. I lament the loss of Cellini's, one of America's great sub shops.
Yeah, I miss Cellini's every time I eat a sub somewhere else! Is Rosencrans Bakery still kicking?

Reactions: Hotshoe
Johnson IS quick. That reverse gear he's got is special. Like a French army tank.

Last edited:
God save the Queen. And God help anyone who wrestles Aaron Brooks in 2022 and 2023. God rest their souls. Et Spiritus Santi.
I think part of the reason he got 'sloppy' in the 3rd period was also related to emptying his gas tank quite a bit trying to fight out of that position. Tiredness leads to sloppiness.

Fretwell made a great point too about how SVN could have pushed the pace more in the first as well. If he does that and gets a stall call Johnson's game plan would have gone out the window.
Should have been called for stalling earlier anyway. Only thing Johnson did for most of the match was backwards and around the circle. It's damn hard to get an attach on someone who never moves forward. That said, I'm pretty sure Van Ness has a good feel for someone ranked so highly and what he can do.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Yeah, I miss Cellini's every time I eat a sub somewhere else! Is Rosencrans Bakery still kicking?
What was Cellini's is now Riss's. Just ate there with my son last week for the first time. The cheesesteak we got was the best I've had in a long time and my kid agreed. Rosecrans is still in business.

Reactions: nerfstate
great dual. brooks was pinned (we know all about getting the benefit of the doubt here as i'm sure you'll all remind me haha). very good performance from dean. 197 is nuts. wish we could have seen swiderski-bartlett. paniro-svn went about how i expected. that dude is for real. still don't see the point in pulling haines. you don't need him this year. i don't think there's a meaningful ncaa points difference between him and barraclough.
Really?
Barraclaugh pins a 30th ranked Munson in Tulsa?

There is a 10 point difference at minimum between Claw and Haines.

Really?

You think Haines is top 5-6 at 157, right now?

I want to see Haines compete with and beat multiple top-15 dudes at the Scuffle. I don't think he's there just yet.

Reactions: mcpat
Really?

Which means Levi finishes 5th with a pin and a major, if Bearclaw were to go 0-2.

ADVERTISEMENT