ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals 2.0

Yeah--overall, to my eye, Shayne is already on the path. He seems far less "sloppy" than he did last year w/ his aggressive style. In the end though--his attack set up the only TD of the bout last night, so he'll have to adjust and be ready for that shrug/go-behind. Man, is Johnson quick. IMO, he avoids that, he wins easily in SV on stalling (if not a successful attack).
Van Ness may beat Johnson but not going to be easily.

Van Ness may beat Johnson but not going to be easily.
Yeah, not next time--he'll have to earn it--I just mean hypothetically in that match, if he avoids getting out of position for that shrug/go-behind, Shayne's pace would likely have earned him a stall point in SV.

IMO the Claw's ceiling is blood round which is pretty damned good.

Haines, if we are being honest is still and unknown, and could prove to be a blood round guy this year as well. Anyone who is saying top 5 right now is smoking something.

With what we have in the pipeline I tend to discount what Haines might be and what we will need in 5 years. His ceiling is most certainly higher than the Claw's, and I would like to see us go with him from here on and potentially add a little insurance for nationals.

I also agree he needs 3-4 matches with top 20 talent just to push his development this year. Pull the shirt and let's see what happens, there is just so little downside vs upside.

Haines, if we are being honest is still and unknown, and could prove to be a blood round guy this year as well. Anyone who is saying top 5 right now is smoking something.

With what we have in the pipeline I tend to discount what Haines might be and what we will need in 5 years. His ceiling is most certainly higher than the Claw's, and I would like to see us go with him from here on and potentially add a little insurance for nationals.

I also agree he needs 3-4 matches with top 20 talent just to push his development this year. Pull the shirt and let's see what happens, there is just so little downside vs upside.
Well I say Haines finishes top 5.

I'm smoking cigarettes 😆

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

I haven’t seen anyone say top 5 for Levi but AA is definitely possible. 157 is completely wide open. He could very well go 1-2 as well but if his shirt gets pulled and he gets the rest of the year to compete I have a hard time seeing that. I agree that they need to pull his shirt and let him compete though. Bearclaw is good and can keep matches close with top guys but we haven’t seen anything to say he can beat those guys. Levi most definitely has a higher upside this year included. We might not need his points this year but it seems like he wants to go and with the recruits coming in I think it makes the most sense for him to go from here on

Basing your strategy on getting a stall call isn't a reliable plan. How often have we seen wrestlers run away for 7 minutes without getting dinged?

Cael is the best at making adjustments after watching a match. With his help, I'm guessing SVN will break through PJ's defense for at least 1 TD next time.
Getting past someone's defense who maintains good positioning while continuously circling backwards is a really tough assignment.
Better conditioning, patience and while stalking forward guarding against stepping into a shot is what always worked for Cenzo.

With SVN stepping into two Johnson knee down shots (Johnson did not move forward on either shot) and SVN not able to shoot until the end Johnson was never going to be called for stalling.

blunt puff puff GIF

I guess you can figure who I have blocked. I was interested who was saying top 5 so went back and looked at what blocked posters were saying. Now it all makes sense!

Reactions: Ski and backdrft76
First year wrestlers are not permitted to wrestle unattached in their first semester. They can wrestle unattached as often as they want in their second semester.

Additionally, first year wrestlers can wrestle attached up to five times without burning their redshirt.

Am I getting that right?

So with Levi beating Barraclough in their wrestle off, and with it still being close between them, it only made sense to wrestle him as often as allowed in the first semester without burning the shirt. That’s what we saw this week.

Take this with a grain of salt for what it's worth. Prior to the Oregon St match, Coach Cody was speaking to the PSWC at a pre match luncheon. A question was asked about the possibility of Levi wrestling today. Cody answered not today but he is definitely someone who we know could score points at Nationals.

I don't know if Levi's shirt will be pulled but I have the utmost confidence in our coaching staff's decision in the matter.

Some thoughts after watching the Collegiate Duals:

Steen - Gary continues to improve. While still not as aggressive on his feet as I'd like to see, he is moving better and taking more shots than earlier in the season. He needs to work on his TD defense, though, as often he gets taken down when his opponent commits to a shot. I don't see him improving enough to score any points at Nationals this year but I like his attitude and seems to be very coachable.

RBY - Has earned the right to wrestle when he wants. How often will this be? All of us fans hope it's weekly as he is such a joy to watch.

Beau - Beau likes to push people around. At 149 he wasn't big enough for this style to work. But at 141 its a different story and you're seeing the results. By year-end he's gonna be right there if he isn't already.

SVN - He continues to impress and love his motor too. Expect him to continue to climb in the rankings throughout the Big Ten season, come out the other side battle-tested and ready to shoot for a high podium spot at Nationals. I don't believe he can win it but don't tell him that!!!

Levi/Bearclaw - Free the Leeeeee-vi. It's time. If Levi wants to go this year, Cael should (and will) let him wrestle. While there's lots of talk about saving him for next year so he has a later year of eligibility when we might need him, who says that's HIS play? I think Cael understands that those coming into the program have aspirations beyond college wrestling and may not want to stick around for 5, 6, 7 years just to win one more National championship. Levi strikes me as the kind of kid that has higher goals and may care less about college wrestling than we fans do. I actually think that about a lot of our top guys. They are team players and want to win but have their sights on longer-term goals too that might eventually conflict with sticking around for a long time.

Facundo - He could have an excellent year and still not AA in the meat grinder that is 165. But I love his longer-term potential and have seen significant improvement since he's been in the room. He'll probably never have the pace of a Nolf but is so sound on his feet that every bit of aggressiveness he adds to his game is gonna make a difference. Love the kid!

Carter - Unstoppable

Aaron - See above. Nothing about his loss to Coleman should worry anyone.

Max - I think its unfair to hold him to the Carter/Aaron level of expectation. He is really, really good but just barely got through last year's NCAA tournament unscathed. A repeat of that this year would be awesome but I don't expect it. 197 is too deep and some of his competitors are monsters in size and he struggles with length.

Greg K - I will be surprised if he doesn't win it this year. His level of quickness and ability to score from all positions is really special for a heavyweight. And he's got the size/strength now to not get squashed by some of the dancing bears.

Just got back from the big easy and it was a pretty fun trip. It was a great couple of days of wrestling!
There were quite a few surprising results and we have even more proof that 197 and maybe even 149 are more wide open than I originally thought. Yani isn't unbeatable but still the favorite. Johnson was so close two different times to scoring. I understand close and actually doing it are different animals. The ISU vs Cornell dual was the best I have seen ISU wrestle in well over a decade. That 133 match was within reach as well.

PSU was who I knew they were. Too many weapons to actually overcome. Brooks will bounce back and probably not loose again in college, and his display of sportsmanship toward Coleman was awesome. Dean looked like the Max Dean I expected and used his savy mat awareness to exploit a couple things in Younger's game. SVN is an absolute hammer, and probably could have been awarded a stalling point along the way against Johnson, but you also realize he never really took a leg attack through the first 4 minutes of wrestling. There is a reason this happened. Johnson has the best reattack in the game right now. I'm pretty excited about my ISU team right now and our staff is doing one hell of a job. Metcalf is as good of coach as he was wrestler, and contrary to what many people think just as good of a person. I was very impressed with Facundo in person. Very strong! His defense is out of this world. If he can learn a go to leg attack and improve on bottom he will be another in a long line of PSU middle weight monsters. If he can't do those things he will just be a very good wrestler. I would put he and Bartlett in the same category as of now, but 165 is way better than 141. I wish Casey would have been wrestling at this event, but Redding competed hard and gave me hope that he could be a solid option at 141 next year if needed. Great event- I wonder where it will be held next year?

I see where Ben Askren say Facundo has no offense.Guess he didn't watch any matches!

Go to leg attack. Which he doesn't have.

But at the same time. I don't think he needs one. I think Facundo owes his current output to Carter - who apparently told him to go back to the things that made him successful. And in high school - Facundo was high output with a variety of attacks.

His underhook throwby single is definitely his best weapon - but he has a bunch of weapons/attacks. I think a year ago he was trying to become something he isn't. His matches at Pan Ams and Junior World and during his redshirt were just weird. He was standing in front of guys trying to handfight and fire. and he would end up extended every time. Now? He's using that huge gas tank he has and using a variety of attacks. He's going to knock someone off at NCAAs he's not supposed to.

Some thoughts after watching the Collegiate Duals:

Steen - Gary continues to improve. While still not as aggressive on his feet as I'd like to see, he is moving better and taking more shots than earlier in the season. He needs to work on his TD defense, though, as often he gets taken down when his opponent commits to a shot. I don't see him improving enough to score any points at Nationals this year but I like his attitude and seems to be very coachable.

RBY - Has earned the right to wrestle when he wants. How often will this be? All of us fans hope it's weekly as he is such a joy to watch.

Beau - Beau likes to push people around. At 149 he wasn't big enough for this style to work. But at 141 its a different story and you're seeing the results. By year-end he's gonna be right there if he isn't already.

SVN - He continues to impress and love his motor too. Expect him to continue to climb in the rankings throughout the Big Ten season, come out the other side battle-tested and ready to shoot for a high podium spot at Nationals. I don't believe he can win it but don't tell him that!!!

Levi/Bearclaw - Free the Leeeeee-vi. It's time. If Levi wants to go this year, Cael should (and will) let him wrestle. While there's lots of talk about saving him for next year so he has a later year of eligibility when we might need him, who says that's HIS play? I think Cael understands that those coming into the program have aspirations beyond college wrestling and may not want to stick around for 5, 6, 7 years just to win one more National championship. Levi strikes me as the kind of kid that has higher goals and may care less about college wrestling than we fans do. I actually think that about a lot of our top guys. They are team players and want to win but have their sights on longer-term goals too that might eventually conflict with sticking around for a long time.

Facundo - He could have an excellent year and still not AA in the meat grinder that is 165. But I love his longer-term potential and have seen significant improvement since he's been in the room. He'll probably never have the pace of a Nolf but is so sound on his feet that every bit of aggressiveness he adds to his game is gonna make a difference. Love the kid!

Carter - Unstoppable

Aaron - See above. Nothing about his loss to Coleman should worry anyone.

Max - I think its unfair to hold him to the Carter/Aaron level of expectation. He is really, really good but just barely got through last year's NCAA tournament unscathed. A repeat of that this year would be awesome but I don't expect it. 197 is too deep and some of his competitors are monsters in size and he struggles with length.

Greg K - I will be surprised if he doesn't win it this year. His level of quickness and ability to score from all positions is really special for a heavyweight. And he's got the size/strength now to not get squashed by some of the dancing bears.

Good assessment

For me, though, the jury is still out on Bartlett being favored to reach the podium. He has yet to face a top-20 wrestler at 141. Beau wrestled 18 matches decided by 2 or fewer points at 149; half of them were losses. Like you, I expect most of those to be Ws at 141, but I still want to see it against the top guys.

Agree with everything you say about Steen, but I'm left with a sense of De Ja Vu. We could cut and paste that assessment from any year 2018 or after. LOL

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to watch the Brooks match. Interesting that Coleman nearly catches Brooks in the first on nearly the same move, but Brooks rolls through the roll-through, and then they go out of bounds. Brooks often finds himself in that position, tight on a single with his head a bit vulnerable. Coleman wasn't lucky, I think he was looking for the head. Great match.

Finally got a chance to watch the Brooks match. Interesting that Coleman nearly catches Brooks in the first on nearly the same move, but Brooks rolls through the roll-through, and then they go out of bounds. Brooks often finds himself in that position, tight on a single with his head a bit vulnerable. Coleman wasn't lucky, I think he was looking for the head. Great match.
Well if that’s true and it was a scouted move on Coleman’s part I’m really glad it happened now because I doubt it will happen again. Brooks has felt the position now and they will have a game plan in place if they meet again

Just got back from the big easy and it was a pretty fun trip. It was a great couple of days of wrestling!
There were quite a few surprising results and we have even more proof that 197 and maybe even 149 are more wide open than I originally thought. Yani isn't unbeatable but still the favorite. Johnson was so close two different times to scoring. I understand close and actually doing it are different animals. The ISU vs Cornell dual was the best I have seen ISU wrestle in well over a decade. That 133 match was within reach as well.

PSU was who I knew they were. Too many weapons to actually overcome. Brooks will bounce back and probably not loose again in college, and his display of sportsmanship toward Coleman was awesome. Dean looked like the Max Dean I expected and used his savy mat awareness to exploit a couple things in Younger's game. SVN is an absolute hammer, and probably could have been awarded a stalling point along the way against Johnson, but you also realize he never really took a leg attack through the first 4 minutes of wrestling. There is a reason this happened. Johnson has the best reattack in the game right now. I'm pretty excited about my ISU team right now and our staff is doing one hell of a job. Metcalf is as good of coach as he was wrestler, and contrary to what many people think just as good of a person. I was very impressed with Facundo in person. Very strong! His defense is out of this world. If he can learn a go to leg attack and improve on bottom he will be another in a long line of PSU middle weight monsters. If he can't do those things he will just be a very good wrestler. I would put he and Bartlett in the same category as of now, but 165 is way better than 141. I wish Casey would have been wrestling at this event, but Redding competed hard and gave me hope that he could be a solid option at 141 next year if needed. Great event- I wonder where it will be held next year?
Do you know how long Swiderski is going to be out? I really wish we could have seen him vs Bartlett.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Even though it was a bummer to see Aaron lose, he showed great sportsmanship in the loss. His response didn't surprise me at all. He seems to be an awesome young man. I see him taking the loss in stride and not letting it define him going forward. I still view him as a big favorite at the National tournament. And as others have mentioned, his loss just highlights how amazing Cael's 159-0 was.
Each time I’ve seen Aaron lose, he’s atop the podium in March.

Have to give credit to Coleman. Part of being a gracious fan of a mighty dynasty is giving an underdog proper kudos when they pull off an upset and not just immediately responding with “Brooks will win next time” (which he will, 😉). Coleman not only got the big 6 point move, with a possible pin that wasn’t called, but he got a huge reversal in the 3rd when AB was coming for him hard. Great job, young man.
Meh…..

He rolled up a 6 point move early and won by 2. Tells me a lot more about Aaron than it does Coleman. Even Carl Spackler (or whatever his name was) rolled up additional 6 pointers on VJ and barely won. Shit happens to everyone. Aaron has proven shit doesn’t happen twice.

Reactions: hlstone
Meh…..

He rolled up a 6 point move early and won by 2. Tells me a lot more about Aaron than it does Coleman. Even Carl Spackler (or whatever his name was) rolled up additional 6 pointers on VJ and barely won. Shit happens to everyone. Aaron has proven shit doesn’t happen twice.
I don’t think Aaron will lose again. I do think you have to give Coleman credit here and not provide excuses or rationalizations. My own 2 cents.

Honestly better now then Aaron going to March as the 1 seed then getting caught in the semis like that by Coleman. Our guys are money in March but let's not act like there haven't been plenty of scares.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Good assessment

For me, though, the jury is still out on Bartlett being favored to reach the podium. He has yet to face a top-20 wrestler at 141. Beau wrestled 18 matches decided by 2 or fewer points at 149; half of them were losses. Like you, I expect most of those to be Ws at 141, but I still want to see it against the top guys.

Agree with everything you say about Steen, but I'm left with a sense of De Ja Vu. We could cut and paste that assessment from any year 2018 or after. LOL
Is there anyone really favored to reach the podium though at 141? I can think of 3, Alirez, Woods, Matthews. Woods wrestles a style that can cause him to get picked off earlier but I don't think anyone doubts he will podium. Everything you said about Beau can be applied to Matthews, he wrestles non NQ guys to controlled decisions as well, only difference is he has gotten a chance to prove himself by AAing last year. Alirez hasn't reached the podium yet because he lost to Composto and Bergeland last year but he does look fantastic right now and I might call him the favorite.

And Beau hasn't faced anyone in the Top 20 at 141 yet but he proved he can beat those level guys at 149, if he can do it at 149, he sure as hell can at 141.

Go to leg attack. Which he doesn't have.

But at the same time. I don't think he needs one. I think Facundo owes his current output to Carter - who apparently told him to go back to the things that made him successful. And in high school - Facundo was high output with a variety of attacks.

His underhook throwby single is definitely his best weapon - but he has a bunch of weapons/attacks. I think a year ago he was trying to become something he isn't. His matches at Pan Ams and Junior World and during his redshirt were just weird. He was standing in front of guys trying to handfight and fire. and he would end up extended every time. Now? He's using that huge gas tank he has and using a variety of attacks. He's going to knock someone off at NCAAs he's not supposed to.
he is only a freshman he will get much better!

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT