ADVERTISEMENT

Could Hack's confidence be shot for the rest of the season after last week?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't even want to think about it, but we really may need to have concerns here. He basically shut down after the first sack. QB's are a bit like kickers. They can tend to be head cases. I know Hack has the tools, but unless CJF and Donovan develop a plan that allows him to be successful, he will continue to shut down after another few sacks! I hope I am wrong, but when we see NO improvement and in fact see regression to start a fresh new season, I get concerned! I've watched enough Penn State games to know that things just don't change that much. We may look decent, or even great against Buffalo because their defense isn't that great from what I read, but the following week against Rutgers can be another story!

I don't even want to think about it, but we really may need to have concerns here. He basically shut down after the first sack. QB's are a bit like kickers. They can tend to be head cases. I know Hack has the tools, but unless CJF and Donovan develop a plan that allows him to be successful, he will continue to shut down after another few sacks! I hope I am wrong, but when we see NO improvement and in fact see regression to start a fresh new season, I get concerned! I've watched enough Penn State games to know that things just don't change that much. We may look decent, or even great against Buffalo because their defense isn't that great from what I read, but the following week against Rutgers can be another story!
-----
Only if he is like all the nattering nabobs of negativity that post here.

I remember some guy used to say 'Your never as good as you think you are when you win or as bad as you think you are when you lose.' Any idea who that was?

I think this kid has a large reservoir of confidence. If they get the offensive play calling and pass pro stuff dialed in, he will be just fine. He has to work on going through his progressions more quickly, and be willing to throw the ball away a bit more quickly, but he nevertheless has a whole lot of talent. And self confidence.

Reactions: BocaLion
I remember some guy used to say 'Your never as good as you think you are when you win or as bad as you think you are when you lose.' Any idea who that was?

He never had an offensive line give up ten sacks in one game. He sure as hell wouldn't have said that about this outfit.

-----

You (and Spiro Agnew) can mock all you want, but you're fooling yourself if you think you saw Hack with any confidence after the first quarter. Sure, he might be able to turn it around, but last year's history would suggest otherwise. I know he played better in the bowl game, but the team doesn't get a month to prepare for each game during the season.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
He is simply the front page on this offensive side of the football team. How Hack goes, so goes the offense (and impacts the defense).

His body language says to me that he's lost any swagger that he once had in droves. The kid is under tremendous pressure - sure it goes with the position, but he's the guy who everyone looks to for calm demeanor and reassurance.

-----

Let me make you a deal:

I go to few games these days, even though/when I have a ticket. I watch few games on TV.

What I do is I listen to the PSU radio feed every game.

So, here's the deal: When our own announcers start stating that Hack is performing with any degree of confidence for more than one play at a time, then I will agree with you that people are being overly negative when they get down about his confidence.

Our own homers are not saying it, which means they are not even close to seeing it. It is really very simple.

QB's are also like hitters, IMO. How good they turn out to be depends on how their "tools" work when opponents figure out how to pitch to them.

Reactions: Jerademan74
Hack is fine. Just needs some time off to cool his jets a little. He loves CJF and PSU

I continue to see them ask him to throw the ball within 5 yards of the LOS. This is a ball he has no confidence to throwing. He is stiff legged and throws all arm which makes for an incredibly inacurate throw. The coaches have to figure out another answer to not being able to protect because the plan now is just playing to their QB's weakness.

My confidence in you was shot a long time ago.

"Could Hack's confidence be shot for the rest of the season after last week?"

Absolutely not!!!! He lost his confidence a LONG TIME AGO! Forty-eight sacks will do that to you.

I don't think it is Hack's confidence that is hurting him as much as it is his going into safe mode to protect his NFL draft stock. It is like he and his family had a discussion prior to the season to say, if they aren't blocking, don't risk it. Get down and protect the millions coming.

Well, Hack is losing a ton of money if he continues to play like a Sally. What GM wants to go first round on a rocket arm with a pansy heart? What franchise wants a QB that refuses to throw the ball away if nothing is there and no time is left?

Hack has become the anti-Michael Robinson, who won and lead because he played with everything he had and left it all on the field, and maybe delivered too many of his own hits for a QB. Heck, even Kerry Collins came out and ran over a dude at the start of '94. It's sets a tone and so does covering up in the face of any pressure. We need Hack to grow a pair and realize that if he doesn't start playing instead of managing risk, his stock will continue to freefall.

I don't think it is Hack's confidence that is hurting him as much as it is his going into safe mode to protect his NFL draft stock. It is like he and his family had a discussion prior to the season to say, if they aren't blocking, don't risk it. Get down and protect the millions coming.

Well, Hack is losing a ton of money if he continues to play like a Sally. What GM wants to go first round on a rocket arm with a pansy heart? What franchise wants a QB that refuses to throw the ball away if nothing is there and no time is left?

Hack has become the anti-Michael Robinson, who won and lead because he played with everything he had and left it all on the field, and maybe delivered too many of his own hits for a QB. Heck, even Kerry Collins came out and ran over a dude at the start of '94. It's sets a tone and so does covering up in the face of any pressure. We need Hack to grow a pair and realize that if he doesn't start playing instead of managing risk, his stock will continue to freefall.
I really don't believe this is the case. Your position is far to neferious for me to believe. I do believe the ability to lead is the most important attribute a QB can have. Football is full of toolsy QB's that wash out and it isn't because they can't make the throws.

I really don't believe this is the case. Your position is far to neferious for me to believe. I do believe the ability to lead is the most important attribute a QB can have. Football is full of toolsy QB's that wash out and it isn't because they can't make the throws.

It's not nefarious. It is practical although flawed logic. Hack and family heard the draft talk and knew the OL could get him injured. Their solution is to protect the investment by playing it safe and not taking the big hit, just go down soft if the risk is there. Instead of protecting the investment, they are now killing the golden goose. Who wants a healthy soft Hack n Sack? Not the NFL. He better play to win or risk losing it all.

It's not nefarious. It is practical although flawed logic. Hack and family heard the draft talk and knew the OL could get him injured. Their solution is to protect the investment by playing it safe and not taking the big hit, just go down soft if the risk is there. Instead of protecting the investment, they are now killing the golden goose. Who wants a healthy soft Hack n Sack? Not the NFL. He better play to win or risk losing it all.
----------
Its not nefarious, its crazy. Would someone really think taking a gazillion sacks is the way to help your draft status? Better to get hammered all season instead of getting rid of the ball by making quick throws? Better to look chicken crap instead of showing how to handle pressure???? Geeeeeesh. If anything, he would be throwing the ball outta bounds at the first sign of a sack. Instead, he holds the ball too long.
What passes for football knowledge and analysis here astounds me.

----------
Its not nefarious, its crazy. Would someone really think taking a gazillion sacks is the way to help your draft status? Better to get hammered all season instead of getting rid of the ball by making quick throws? Better to look chicken crap instead of showing how to handle pressure???? Geeeeeesh. If anything, he would be throwing the ball outta bounds at the first sign of a sack. Instead, he holds the ball too long.
What passes for football knowledge and analysis here astounds me.

When he sees a blitzer, he simply tucks the ball and covers up bracing for the hit. If he tries to throw at that point, he exposes himself to the hit or could land on the throwing arm. He doesn't avoid the hit when the blitzer is right on him if he throws, he simply takes the hit without possibly being able to protect himself. I think Hack is afraid to take the hits and I played myself so I know what that looks like. He is playing soft and to protect himself, not to win.

It's not nefarious. It's a fantasy you made up in your head.

His quote may have changed had he ever lost to Temple, which he never did in 33 games over 62 years.

---
And he won 7-6 and one 24-23. Did he get suicidal over it?

1) Nobody is suicidal over the loss to Temple, so to invoke that reference is beyond ludicrous. 2) Trying to equate close wins to a 3 score loss giving up 10 sacks is asinine.

It's not nefarious. It's a fantasy you made up in your head.

My observation is that Hack is playing to not get hurt and eventually that is going to hurt him if he doesn't change it. It will either hurt his draft stock or it will get him physically hurt. He needs to go out and play the game the way he earned his high rankings. Let the chips fall where they may. But playing it ultra safe is a recipe for regret.

When he sees a blitzer, he simply tucks the ball and covers up bracing for the hit. If he tries to throw at that point, he exposes himself to the hit or could land on the throwing arm. He doesn't avoid the hit when the blitzer is right on him if he throws, he simply takes the hit without possibly being able to protect himself. I think Hack is afraid to take the hits and I played myself so I know what that looks like. He is playing soft and to protect himself, not to win.
------
He may be gun shy, understandable. But for someone to say that he and his family sat down and decided to just take sacks is laughably crazy.

Hack is a 1st round NFL draft pick - I still believe that. I think too many people are not understanding that he has a rough o-line in front of him, he isn't in as good of a system as he was in under O'Brien and Donovan hasn't been much help.

He does need to redeem himself on by being more accurate from here forward, though, otherwise I'll begin to reevaluate.

My observation is that Hack is playing to not get hurt and eventually that is going to hurt him if he doesn't change it. It will either hurt his draft stock or it will get him physically hurt. He needs to go out and play the game the way he earned his high rankings. Let the chips fall where they may. But playing it ultra safe is a recipe for regret.
Disagree. If you were in his situation, you'd be doing the same. Hack understandably has zero confidence in his OL, OL coach and OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT