ADVERTISEMENT

Drew vs. Beau...and Franklin thoughts...

Yeah maybe they could try a triple reverse and double lateral flea flicker. Yeah that’s the ticket.
Do you criticize anyone who is critical of specific areas of the time? Jeez. You had multiple posts in a row responding like a wisea**. Do you really think it's a bad idea to have a Pribula package, or at least get him a few snaps a game in specific situations -- red zone, etc. Didn't PSU do that with Tommy Stevens?

This offense is stale, predictable and poses zero threat with Allar taking off and running -- especially if the defense is in man. You need to make them pay, as Trace and Sean did, if the secondary has their backs to the QB. Those QB runs and getting extra first downs are huge.

But, I guess anything critical you take umbrage to.

Reactions: Grass and RRCVN76
They don't need t replace Drew, but I think it would be helpful for Beau to receive a meaningful series each game to keep the defense a little more honest. I would also like to see Drew & Beau together in the backfield with an opportunity for Beau to receive the snap , sprint out with an option t run or pass. Right now the offense is stale and predictable.
Together in the backfield with the defense not knowing who will get the snap, now that would be fun to watch.

There is no Beau package. 12-31. Get used to it because it's coming again on November 11

I posed the question before the OSU game about giving Pribula snaps in the game as a change of pace.

After that offensive showing and seeing that Allar is more of a statue back there than any of us thought it makes more sense. Plus we lack any deep threat or real high powered passing game. I love how Pribula can run and I know he could have done some damage vs OSU. Put it this way, I know he could have led us to a few first downs in the 2nd half on Saturday and perhaps a TD to tie (not after we had fallen behind by 14 points).

Here are my thoughts....

1) Why do we have Allar in the first place if he is not a great fit with the offense? I think the coaches felt the kid has a strong arm and is highly rated as a 5 star so we will mold the offense around him. Seemed reasonable but now we don't have good receivers and Allar is underperforming so we are stuck. Kind of what could go wrong will go wrong.

2) I have read a few comments about Allar's leadership style or lack there of. He is low key and not fiery. This is not a good thing and not helping us. Yes he is calm but we need more than that from the most important position. I don't know if Pribula is more vocal and fiery but I think he is. Remember Trace? That kid was a winner and he could lead.

3) I think unfortunately this is all just message board conjecture. I don't think Franklin is doing anything to replace Allar. He is "concerned about the lockeroom", he said that when asked on Saturday about Pribula coming in during that game. Which is BS. I think he has promised Allar and his family something like he is the guaranteed starter.

4) The coaches are at practice everyday so you would hope or think that if Pribula looks good they would give him a shot but I think it is a pipe dream. Maybe Pribula's passing is poor. I don't know.

The bottom line is unless we see massive improvement from Allar then I can't find any path to beating Michigan. He will play better at home but the Michigan defense is better than OSU's and he can't play much worse any way. I just don't see Franklin giving Pribula a shot. I hope I am wrong.

Reactions: lilromeo
I posed the question before the OSU game about giving Pribula snaps in the game as a change of pace.

After that offensive showing and seeing that Allar is more of a statue back there than any of us thought it makes more sense. Plus we lack any deep threat or real high powered passing game. I love how Pribula can run and I know he could have done some damage vs OSU. Put it this way, I know he could have led us to a few first downs in the 2nd half on Saturday and perhaps a TD to tie (not after we had fallen behind by 14 points).

Here are my thoughts....

1) Why do we have Allar in the first place if he is not a great fit with the offense? I think the coaches felt the kid has a strong arm and is highly rated as a 5 star so we will mold the offense around him. Seemed reasonable but now we don't have good receivers and Allar is underperforming so we are stuck. Kind of what could go wrong will go wrong.

2) I have read a few comments about Allar's leadership style or lack there of. He is low key and not fiery. This is not a good thing and not helping us. Yes he is calm but we need more than that from the most important position. I don't know if Pribula is more vocal and fiery but I think he is. Remember Trace? That kid was a winner and he could lead.

3) I think unfortunately this is all just message board conjecture. I don't think Franklin is doing anything to replace Allar. He is "concerned about the lockeroom", he said that when asked on Saturday about Pribula coming in during that game. Which is BS. I think he has promised Allar and his family something like he is the guaranteed starter.

4) The coaches are at practice everyday so you would hope or think that if Pribula looks good they would give him a shot but I think it is a pipe dream. Maybe Pribula's passing is poor. I don't know.

The bottom line is unless we see massive improvement from Allar then I can't find any path to beating Michigan. He will play better at home but the Michigan defense is better than OSU's and he can't play much worse any way. I just don't see Franklin giving Pribula a shot. I hope I am wrong.
1) Allar is the perfect fit for the offense though he clearly shouldn't have been a five star recruit. That was obvious weeks ago if not during the spring. Why you think he isn't is a question. Yurcich is trying to run the exact offense he ran at Oklahoma State. The offense Mike Gundy installed under Les Miles who installed the same at LSU.

3) Franklin is terrified of a quarterback controversy. Every decision regarding that position is based on it. It is why Tommy Stevens never started a game despite winning the job in camp, twice. It is why he transferred because he wasn't going to be afforded the opportunity to win it again.

Bottom line, there is probably no path to beating Michigan and there never was, just like Ohio State. We are not a top ten team nor have we every been one under Franklin and we likely never will be either.

Allar unfortunately is suffering from our lack of talent at multiple positions and he isn't done paying for it yet. Worse, the NCAA has it out for Harbaugh, and he will probably take it out on us and attempt to run up the score as much as possible to prove a point.

Reactions: WaffleShopper
1) Allar is the perfect fit for the offense though he clearly shouldn't have been a five star recruit. That was obvious weeks ago if not during the spring. Why you think he isn't is a question. Yurcich is trying to run the exact offense he ran at Oklahoma State. The offense Mike Gundy installed under Les Miles who installed the same at LSU.

3) Franklin is terrified of a quarterback controversy. Every decision regarding that position is based on it. It is why Tommy Stevens never started a game despite winning the job in camp, twice. It is why he transferred because he wasn't going to be afforded the opportunity to win it again.

Bottom line, there is probably no path to beating Michigan and there never was, just like Ohio State. We are not a top ten team nor have we every been one under Franklin and we likely never will be either.

Allar unfortunately is suffering from our lack of talent at multiple positions and he isn't done paying for it yet. Worse, the NCAA has it out for Harbaugh, and he will probably take it out on us and attempt to run up the score as much as possible to prove a point.
The Mich game could be the '97 game all over again.

ok...but how PSU WANTS to play on offense i really think Beau might be the better option RIGHT NOW, not maybe long-term or overall talent...but the passing game and QB has actually regressed from the start of the season...that's a very bad sign and not something that should be laughed off...and i guarantee u that if Beau was playing the running game would open up a lot, which hasn't happened with Drew also
No one is “laughing off” Allar’s poor performance on Saturday. I’m just not in the let’s bench Allar after one poor game in his 7th start. As for Pribula being a “better option” now because of his running ability I remember how Levis looked good running the ball after he had to go into the OSU game a few years back. Worked great for a couple of series until OSU figured it out and he had to pass and then ah not so much.

No one is “laughing off” Allar’s poor performance on Saturday. I’m just not in the let’s bench Allar after one poor game in his 7th start. As for Pribula being a “better option” now because of his running ability I remember how Levis looked good running the ball after he had to go into the OSU game a few years back. Worked great for a couple of series until OSU figured it out and he had to pass and then ah not so much.
It wasn't just a poor game. It was Chris Ganter dude.

Best player on the team is always the backup QB. Allar is an amazing talent that is being held back by lack of a #1 WR and questionable play calling. Why didn’t we run more routes over the middle? Why were no adjustments made at half? Why did we abandon the run game? This is a 19 year old kid in his first year starting. What did all you expect would happen in a big game on the road? I’m more pissed that Franklin accepted little blame and sent Allar out to the press. That was the worse coaching decision of the day.

I don't think that's what folks are saying, and least not me. From my perspective it was clear that on saturday Drew was "suffering"...bad passes, not on same page with his receivers, rushed, stressed or whatever. From my experience, it made sense to try a change of pace for a series or two jut to let Drew settle down somewhat. It was clear that he was really struggling in this game. To me it's like your star pitcher in a key game...he walks the first five batters, the manager talks to him on the mound and goes back to the dugout. Same pitcher walks the next five batters....obviously the pitcher is having problems...do you keep him in the game? Star Basketball player, 25 point average, throws up bricks for 2 quarters, do you sit him for a little while? I don't know why football is any different. The kid was really struggling, I felt bad for him and as things kept getting worse it seemed clear that he was overstressed.
How about the star pitcher who walks the first five batters then settles down and has a monster game? Or the star basketball player who misses his first five shots then gets hot and lights it up. It’s obvious you’ve never coached. You play the guys who you feel give you the best shot to win especially at a key position like QB. Had Franklin taken him out and brought in Beau and he would have had a fumble or three a pick, Franklin would be getting torched on this board for bringing in a guy who wasn’t ready. Coaching after the fact is so easy, I’m wondering why more coaches don’t do it.

Do you criticize anyone who is critical of specific areas of the time? Jeez. You had multiple posts in a row responding like a wisea**. Do you really think it's a bad idea to have a Pribula package, or at least get him a few snaps a game in specific situations -- red zone, etc. Didn't PSU do that with Tommy Stevens?

This offense is stale, predictable and poses zero threat with Allar taking off and running -- especially if the defense is in man. You need to make them pay, as Trace and Sean did, if the secondary has their backs to the QB. Those QB runs and getting extra first downs are huge.

But, I guess anything critical you take umbrage to.
You don’t think the offense is predictable when Beau is in the game? You don’t think OSU watched tape and saw that he runs every time he takes a snap? Yeah, that would have fooled them. And Stevens was huge and could run over people and pick up short yardage, Beau isn’t huge.

You don’t think the offense is predictable when Beau is in the game? You don’t think OSU watched tape and saw that he runs every time he takes a snap? Yeah, that would have fooled them. And Stevens was huge and could run over people and pick up short yardage, Beau isn’t huge.
So here's a thought...have him throw here and there. Coaches know this (or should) so as not to have tendencies with personnel groupings. Beau was a really good HS QB and prospect...he can throw the ball. But, JF probably doesn't want to upstage Drew if anyone else might have success.

Reactions: lilromeo
They don't know who the ball is going to, Pribula, Singleton, Allen or even a sweep with Wallace who could get the ball on some kind of jet sweep or reverse. We had different run options if Pribula is in. Also with a QB running threat it pulls the safeties up. Better potential to burn them over the top. We should have put Pribula in. Maybe it would have back fired but I doubt it could have been any worse than what Allar was giving us. Normally I like staying with one QB but in Saturday's case it was so bad and clear the offense was totally stuck in the mud that we needed a spark.

Reactions: Waltwam and 81b&w
"we have a package every week for him,".

Lol. Yeah, run the same 2 plays with 5 minutes left in blowouts.

Franklin would be getting torched on this board for bringing in a guy who wasn’t ready.
He already brought in a guy that wasn't ready.

Saban was having issues with his starting QB and benched him after the Texas loss for the next game. Been steadily improving ever since. That is the difference between a real coach and a pretender. They don't hesitate to make a change when necessary. Franklin, just like many PSU fans, ignored the signs and bought into the illusion that all was good.

I even saw where some dumbass was touting Aller's attempts without an interception was some meaningful record. Well how did that work out?

Reactions: Grass

Saban was having issues with his starting QB and benched him after the Texas loss for the next game. Been steadily improving ever since. That is the difference between a real coach and a pretender. They don't hesitate to make a change when necessary. Franklin, just like many PSU fans, ignored the signs and bought into the illusion that all was good.

I even saw where some dumbass was touting Aller's attempts without an interception was some meaningful record. Well how did that work out?
Failure number 1 was making the excuses for not bringing in an experienced QB in the portal. I don't want to hear it either because Michigan brought in Tuttle.

How'd that work out for ya James last Saturday?

Failure number 1 was making the excuses for not bringing in an experienced QB in the portal. I don't want to hear it either because Michigan brought in Tuttle.

How'd that work out for ya James last Saturday?
It's Allar or bust according to James. If Allar continues to struggle yet never takes a seat on the bench then Pribula will see the writing on the wall and hit the portal this winter. How's that for a scenario?

Reactions: Psubiomed
It's Allar or bust according to James. If Allar continues to struggle yet never takes a seat on the bench then Pribula will see the writing on the wall and hit the portal this winter. How's that for a scenario?
Pribula is not capable of executing the current offense. It doesn't matter what Allar does, he is probably gone if he is willing to drop down a level to a group of five program.

and how is that going?...in theory you're right, but we don't pass the ball in the middle of the field very much and when we do it's not that successful, so again what's the point with THIS RPO system?...again no QB running threat AND little to no passes in the middle of field where those LB's and safeties should be in conflict.
It's run-pass not QB keep-pass

Pribula had to know the situation he was getting into when he signed. None of us are privy to that info, but it sure seems like he was intent on staying here until he gets his degree. If he came for QB competition, he has already been beaten out twice so to speak and he hasn't left yet.

At the end of the day, you have to do what is best for your team. I seen mentioned elsewhere that Saban benched Milroe and it worked. What is left out is that Bama nearly lost that game and didn't insert Milroe. Saban still has top 3-5 talent, he could have lined up in the Wildcat and eventually won.

People even mentioned Day putting in Devin Brown. He ran 2 plays (maybe 3?). We stuffed one for a big loss (they were bailed out on a ticky tacky PF) and Brown got hurt on the other (and now will miss a couple weeks). Imagine the hate we'd be seeing if Franklin put Pribula in and he got hurt.

Reactions: royboy

Oh good lord, give me a break. Every coach in America (including Saban) would be playing Allar in this situation.

Oh good lord, give me a break. Every coach in America (including Saban) would be playing Allar in this situation.
Joel Klatt knows a little bit about football. He is highly respected. He said Pribula should have played.

I have seen multiple coaches sit their starter for the first couple of 2nd half series when they are in similar situations. You are saying this never happens. Obviously you don't watch any football other than PSU.

Reactions: Psubiomed
ok...but how PSU WANTS to play on offense i really think Beau might be the better option RIGHT NOW, not maybe long-term or overall talent...but the passing game and QB has actually regressed from the start of the season...that's a very bad sign and not something that should be laughed off...and i guarantee u that if Beau was playing the running game would open up a lot, which hasn't happened with Drew also
. Are you telling me Penn State recruited Allar knowing he was a bad fit for the Offense?
Pribula, looking at his high school stats, was not much of a runner in high school. He threw the ball. So far, he has not thrown much at PSU.

https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/york/ce...ribula/football/stats/?careerid=j95hnnpc2ilcc

You could see in Game #1, there were issues…the offense against WVU was a couple of broken plays against a bottom feeder

. Are you telling me Penn State recruited Allar knowing he was a bad fit for the Offense?
Pribula, looking at his high school stats, was not much of a runner in high school. He threw the ball. So far, he has not thrown much at PSU.

https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/york/ce...ribula/football/stats/?careerid=j95hnnpc2ilcc

Beau was a great athlete in HS...so much so i believe he was getting D1 looks as a safety...i'm not sure about Beau's running stats in HS but go watch his junior and senior film and watch him move in the pocket and make plays with his feet, heck just look at him at PSU and watch him run this year, he can make people miss, has a good burst and shows toughness...Drew definitely has the better arm talent, it's not even debatable...but the offense PSU is currently running would run best with a Trace or a healthy Sean who keeps the ball occasionally for runs...can this staff develop a pure pocket passer?...the jury is still out on that and it will determine PSU's fate over the rest of this year and next

I have seen multiple coaches sit their starter for the first couple of 2nd half series when they are in similar situations. You are saying this never happens. Obviously you don't watch any football other than PSU.
I watch a ton of football and have yet to see anyone do it in this situation especially against a highly ranked team (other than Saban when he had Tua as a backup)…not many programs have a QB of Tua’s caliber sitting on the bench. We don’t.

If getting pulled for a series is such a crushing blow for Allar, then he's not mature enough to be on this team. Everyone, especially now, is replaceable with someone playing or potentially playing better. The coach just has to have the guts to put the team first over someone's feelings. Thats why his pockets are $7M heavier for the next 10 years.

Reactions: scrivener
If getting pulled for a series is such a crushing blow for Allar, then he's not mature enough to be on this team. Everyone, especially now, is replaceable with someone playing or potentially playing better. The coach just has to have the guts to put the team first over someone's feelings. Thats why his pockets are $7M heavier for the next 10 years.
Unfortunately I do not see Franklin making any kind of change at QB unless it reaches a ridiculously bad stage. If he didn't do it last Saturday when we were completely stuck in the mud then who knows if he would ever do it.

Reactions: scrivener
EXACTLY....your first sentence is it. And, it also is the problem with JF's stubborn nature. I'm sure he made promises to the family, or even if he didn't, treats all these guys with kid gloves, rather than piss and vinegar. Whether it be stupid penalties or Hardy letting the punt go over his head, JF needs to show the guys IN GAME that stuff like that can't happen. But, he is like a statue on the sidelines. I'm confident Drew is a team player and can handle Beau getting a drive or two. I mean, I assume JF learned from the Iowa debacle when Roberson wasn't ready, which is why he played Drew in every game last year.

EXACTLY....your first sentence is it. And, it also is the problem with JF's stubborn nature. I'm sure he made promises to the family, or even if he didn't, treats all these guys with kid gloves, rather than piss and vinegar. Whether it be stupid penalties or Hardy letting the punt go over his head, JF needs to show the guys IN GAME that stuff like that can't happen. But, he is like a statue on the sidelines. I'm confident Drew is a team player and can handle Beau getting a drive or two. I mean, I assume JF learned from the Iowa debacle when Roberson wasn't ready, which is why he played Drew in every game last year.
I am not convinced that Franklin learned anything from that Iowa debacle. God forbid Drew gets hurt, as Franklin struggles with having the starter prepared - much less the backup.

Unfortunately I do not see Franklin making any kind of change at QB unless it reaches a ridiculously bad stage. If he didn't do it last Saturday when we were completely stuck in the mud then who knows if he would ever do it.
From Franklin's press conference and reading between the lines they were planning to give Beau some plays last week but because we couldn't keep the offense on the field it didn't happen.

Does an Indiana thread exist this week?
This is a perfect scenario for the Franklin haters…they can bitch about this game right up until the Michigan game. They don’t give a rat’s ass about the season, just trashing Franklin.

Reactions: royboy
From Franklin's press conference and reading between the lines they were planning to give Beau some plays last week but because we couldn't keep the offense on the field it didn't happen.
Not an excuse. The whole reason to put Pribula in was because the offense kept going 3 and out.

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT