ADVERTISEMENT

Eclipse viewing thread. *

Me too PSU77sh, while sitting in my front yard. Didn't expect it to be so interesting, to be honest. The shadows just before and after the total eclipse showing the amount of sun not covered. The "waves" and the bat flying right past as it hit 100%. A very interesting afternoon. Glad we didn't have the clouds they were predicting.

Harbaugh
DHxwzRLWAAEynzN.jpg

Franklin
DHxwzTEXUAAZdBS.jpg

Your so vain.

I'll bet you think this thread is about you...don't you...don't you now...;)

Atlanta suburbs, about 98% totality, I think. Similar to dusk but brighter...but street lights and so forth still kicked on. Amazing how much light you still get from a sliver of sun. Very neat event to witness.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
We will only get about 73% obstruction here in New Jersey. You would think with what we pay in taxes that we could get better than that.
The full eclipse can be seen from the beaches in Jersey--so unfortunately, it can only be seen by the governor.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Your post made me think about that guy in New Jersey with the window air conditioner who bragged about part ownership of a plane. What was his name?
The one on the right actually owns the plane. The poster in question just crashes it into buildings once in awhile.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F8d4a65af-12d0-3eb4-9908-aa0f3be84b91.jpg

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
I got the full enchilada in St. Louis today. It wasn't that great. I'm going to ask for a refund.

Saw totality from Beatrice, Nebraska. High clouds and a thunderhead to the northwest, but still came through. Very cool experience.

Awesome spectacle here in BC. I now understand when someone says you need to be in 100% totality. For those in the 95% totality range is like the difference in being pregnant and not pregnant. Huge difference. Lots of daylight at 95%.
What makes an eclipse spectacular is the 2+ minutes of 100% totality, not the fact that some lesser percentage (even 95%) makes the sky darker. After all, the sun sets and it gets dark every day of our lives. Nothing particularly exciting about the sky turning to dusk.

It is the brilliance of the circle of light around the moon during the totality and the spectacular "diamond effect" once the sun begins to re-appear at the end of totality. Pictures don't do it justice - when seen with the naked eye it is phenomenal.

Reactions: michnittlion
See that NW PA (where I grew up) will see totality in April 2024. God's Country is gonna be a zoo

Closed the restaurant and grabbed the family at barefoot at 1pm and high tailed it to pawleys island and made it there by 220. Just inside the line of total eclipse. It was incredible absolutely incredible. Brilliant and clear and just amazing. Did I say amazing? Amazing! Definitely a great memory now in my life. My wife and girls thought it was..... amazing as well. If you get a chance to see it at 100 percent in the future you have to do it. Was dark when it was 100 percent and the crickets and frogs started singing and you could see the stars and all the store signs were lit up around us.Then the diamond ring showed itself and it was truly..... awesome!!! Strange thing is that at 95 percent and up it looked smoky outside. The only way my wife and I could describe it. If you looked around and then glanced at the sun it was still bright as can be. I was looking through my phone in camera mode, but the glasses only showed a sliver of sun was left. Driving back the girls kept looking at it through the back of the car. 90 percent, 80,60 40, 20 an hour away and then they said night night moon!

Reactions: royboy
What makes an eclipse spectacular is the 2+ minutes of 100% totality, not the fact that some lesser percentage (even 95%) makes the sky darker. After all, the sun sets and it gets dark every day of our lives. Nothing particularly exciting about the sky turning to dusk.

It is the brilliance of the circle of light around the moon during the totality and the spectacular "diamond effect" once the sun begins to re-appear at the end of totality. Pictures don't do it justice - when seen with the naked eye it is phenomenal.

Yeah - I've been looking at some videos just now. None of them do it justice, not even close.

Must be experienced, must be actually seen.

Full coverage here in the NC mountains. Very cool experience. Never had to leave our deck. Beautiful sunset colors on the ridge in the distance with the sun directly above us.

Might as well update our trip report.

Saturday, 8-19. Left West Jefferson, NC and briefly explored the towns of Boone and Blowing Rock. Boone was a cool college town. We were very impressed with the Appalachian State campus, beautiful! Students were returning this day so the campus was buzzing.

We need to return to Blowing Rock. What a great little town. Walked around for a bit and grabbed some sandwiches for the road. The Blue Ridge Parkway was stunning today. We hiked to the Rough Ridge overlook, outstanding viewpoints, but a crowded hike! The viaduct was neat too.

For lunch we did the short hike on Flat Rock to a nice rock outcropping. good spot for the sandwiches. Not that impresses with Little Switzerland, but everyone should at least see it. Mount Mitchell was a nice climb for our RDX, but not that bad. Although we had perfect weather, it was still very hazy out.

Stayed in Asheville at the brand new Holiday Inn near the Biltmore entrance. Had dinner at Pete's Pies, nice English pub with great food. We had an English Reuben and a Shepherd's Pie. Yummy!

Some pics from Saturday

https://goo.gl/photos/iaKGCdMaborCxoYm8

Sunday, 8-20

We arrived at the Biltmore Estate first thing when they opened the gates at 8:30. Highly recommend getting there early.

Knowing we still had a full day ahead on the BPR, we spent a total of 3 hours at the Biltmore. We did the self guided tour and roamed the magnificent gardens. When leaving at 11:30 the traffic was bumper to bumper heading in.

Highlights on the BRP were having lunch at Pisgah Inn. My advice, bypass the long wait in the restaurant, get takeout with a couple beers and have lunch in the chairs overlooking the mountains. Priceless!

Took a detour off the parkway and checked out Looking Glass Falls and Sliding Rock. Could not believe how crowded these places were. Then again it was a gorgeous Sunday, so not really surprising.

Enjoyed the short hike up to Devil's Courthouse with more great views. The other short hike we did was up to Waterrock Knob. Well worth the effort! Stopped by the Oconaluftee Visitor Center at 7:30 hoping to see elk, but nothing. No biggie as we saw a ton in Jasper a couple months ago.

Some pics from Sunday.

https://goo.gl/photos/MEFnFqG1CZsb4BRQ8

Monday 8-21.

Rolled into Bryson City at 8pm last night exhausted. Today was nice for relaxing and viewing the eclipse. Weather was perfect and saw an amazing phenomenon. Started the day around 11am at Nantahala Brewing Co. Why not? It was packed for a Monday morning and everyone was enjoying themselves. Dinner tonight was fabulous at the Bistro at Everett Hotel. Pics will include the meatball app, trout, scallops, shrimp noodles and eggplant.

Our lodging is incredible! Aloft In The Smokies is like staying in a posh mountain condo, wow!

Pics from today. There are 3 from totality. More like a sun setting at dusk than total darkness, but not complaining. It was incredible to witness!

https://goo.gl/photos/dPpa5nihYHNtFDLNA

http://www.aloftinthesmokies.com/

Advanced purchase was $55 per person. It is a stunning place considering it was built in the 1890's.

Agreed.... the Biltmore is an absolute must do
One of the effects of the Biltmore construction was the availability of architects and skilled craftsmen in the area. It carried over to a number of buildings downtown; there are not many city halls that look like this. Just another feature that makes the area a great place to visit.

th

Reactions: Nittany.Lion
God's irony. I live and work in Marin County , north of San Francisco. Yesterday, Southern Marin was fogged in all day.
Mt Tamalpais , 2 miles from my office was invisible .

This morning at 7:15 , the sun is out , total blue sky with no clouds. Can we put the moon into reverse ?

See that NW PA (where I grew up) will see totality in April 2024. God's Country is gonna be a zoo
Hard to tell exactly from the map (I cannot zoom in close enough) but it looks like my house in Columbus will get at least 99% eclipse (a couple of miles away in Worthington, they will get 53 seconds of totality). My brother in law's winery up on Lake Erie will get full totality and is almost right on the center line for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT