ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Edinboro dual - Sun. Feb. 25 at 2 pm

Nerf, can you share your insight on how these pressers work? I'm wondering why, for example, the interviews for MM and AB were so short this time. I think AB's was like 90 seconds long. Who determines which wrestlers will be interviewed and how long you'll have to talk to them?

And do y'all ever get told in advance that certain topics are off limits? I assume not, but it surprised me that no one asked MM about his reaction to Taylor's big mat return during the Nebbie dual when he seemed to get up with pain to his rib area. Fingers crossed that he's not dinged up too badly from that.
Sure! Pat Donghia runs the show. We usually get about 10 minutes of Cael while the entire NLWC & PSU team files in behind us in that hall outside Lorenzo. Then, Pat usually tries to get us two athletes, but sometimes we only get one. But sometimes the athletes he wants (His favs are definitely Beau, Levi, Mitch, and AB) are late to arrive, or whatever, and there seems to be a pretty prompt 1:30 start to practice. This week, after a typical 4 minutes or so with Mitch, Pat told us we could ask Aaron 2 questions (we wound up with 3). I kinda spaced on the rib injury angle, or I might have asked. Usually injury questions get pretty well deflected though, and most of the pro journos come in with a preconceived story angle and are just in search of quotes they can use for that (eg Senior night, Carter's Win Streak, etc).

Going up on Sunday for the first time in a while.. Where do you all park these days? How early do you go in for the match and any other tidbits of information is appreciated.
It depends on your plans, just the meet or time in SC? I park in Nittany Deck ($10 day of meet, $6 if purchased in advance through ParkMonile app.). If going downtowm before or after the lots there are an easy walk up to Rec Hall. Getting into Rec is pretty easy, I normally shoot for 20-30 mins pre-meet.

Popular pre or post match places are Local Whiskey, Bill Pickels, Champs, and Federal Tap House.

Going up on Sunday for the first time in a while.. Where do you all park these days? How early do you go in for the match and any other tidbits of information is appreciated.
Just to add on to 86PSUPaul's info, if you happen to be a member of the Penn State Wrestling Club, there's a prematch social at the Westgate bldg at 12. They usually have a coach speak after lunch. Very enjoyable crowd and experience. Westgate bldg goes over Atherton and is next to Rec Hall

Just to add on to 86PSUPaul's info, if you happen to be a member of the Penn State Wrestling Club, there's a prematch social at the Westgate bldg at 12. They usually have a coach speak after lunch. Very enjoyable crowd and experience. Westgate bldg goes over Atherton and is next to Rec Hall
I didn’t realize there was a social this meet, I guess I should have checked!

And to add to CreameryFreak, wear blue and white, cheer loud, don’t complain about the in match music (the coaches and wrestlers like the cheering and music). After the match stop by the PSWC clothing stand, yell out “Hey Brownie!” And he will take care of you.

Try not to yell stalling too much (we aren’t Iowa) and cheer on the efforts of any Edinboro wrestler that comes to scrap! Within reason of course!

Also, I hear that parking at the Eisenhower deck is free with a shuttle bus if you have a wrestling ticket.

Last edited:
Cael also mentioned yesterday something about Carter "finally figuring out how to fix it." No idea what that could mean, but maybe that knowledge is transferable....
I caught that too. Almost gave me the impression perhaps Carter was taking matters into his own hands that might have been working against a quicker recovery, but who knows. He definitely seems to be the one most impacted by whatever illness has gone through the team.

Being out here in San Diego I hadn't even heard of Pennsylvania Western University (PennWest) before, and also didn't realize Clarion and Edinboro were both part of the University. And I just now saved myself from looking any more uninformed by thinking their California campus was, say, in the state of California! Outside of Pittsburgh? First Wyoming Seminary and now this! Who woulda' thunk it? This is what happens when you are retired and have the time to research whatever mundane question enters your mind : ) As far as acceptance rates, I found this:

"Pennsylvania Western University has an acceptance rate of 94%. Half the applicants admitted to Penn West who submitted test scores have an SAT score between 940 and 1160 or an ACT score of 18 and 25."
By comparison, it is my understanding is that Slippery Rock admin rate is just under 80%. They are also one of the premier programs in Pennsylvania for Physical Therapy, offering a 3+3 that ends with a doctorate. A graduate of our local high school is in the PT program and will have his doctorate in by the time he is 24.

The Penn West came in bc the state schools were in danger of closing. Slippery Rock was offered to also be in Penn West but the declined and said they can maintain themselves.
SRU has done better than just about any other PSAC school in west in actually building facilities and adding programs. Doesn’t hurt that you have to drive past it to get to Edinboro and Clarion from the Pittsburgh area.

SRU has done better than just about any other PSAC school in west in actually building facilities and adding programs. Doesn’t hurt that you have to drive past it to get to Edinboro and Clarion from the Pittsburgh area.
As a Slippery Rock State College grad I was surprised after I graduated that the school stepped up their game. (Set that softball for yinz). Their 10 year average acceptance average is 71% so they are watering things down again. All schools are fighting over the same potential students.

Slippery Rock's alumni donation rate is around 8%. I was one of them until they killed their wrestling program. I wrote the President back then and said I would put my money in escrow until the program is resurrected. Truth be told, Levi Lamb, Penn State Wrestling team, PSWC, and the NLWC somehow hacked that escrow account.

By comparison, it is my understanding is that Slippery Rock admin rate is just under 80%. They are also one of the premier programs in Pennsylvania for Physical Therapy, offering a 3+3 that ends with a doctorate. A graduate of our local high school is in the PT program and will have his doctorate in by the time he is 24.
My daughter started out in that program, it was phenomenal but her heart wasn't staying in that direction, she switched majors to early childhood education and special Education majors. Believe it or not SRU is also 1 one of the premier schools for teachers as well.

My youngest daughter graduated from West Chester in criminal justice. Got her law degree from PSU. West Chester was considering leaving the PSAC during her stay. They got a new President and decided to remain in PSAC. West Chester was/is really doing well compared to most PSAC schools. I think it is now the largest in enrollment which seems to me is 22k.
On the other hand East Stroudsburg numbers are in decline. I live 20 minutes from campus. It's where my oldest daughter graduated in 2014. Since then enrollment has dropped significantly.

It's Senior Day. In my diminished capacity, I just started collecting Social Security this month, am I supposed to be on the floor before the match?

I feel old as hell, you have a better chance of seeing Carter in Rec Hall next year than me. If I'm back next year I'm the guy in line for the men's room with the Penn State hat on.

Happy Senior day guys!

My youngest daughter graduated from West Chester in criminal justice. Got her law degree from PSU. West Chester was considering leaving the PSAC during her stay. They got a new President and decided to remain in PSAC. West Chester was/is really doing well compared to most PSAC schools. I think it is now the largest in enrollment which seems to me is 22k.
On the other hand East Stroudsburg numbers are in decline. I live 20 minutes from campus. It's where my oldest daughter graduated in 2014. Since then enrollment has dropped significantly.
I was at ESU in the mid 90's, about 6800 students. There might be 4400 now.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Yeah it’s kind of funny in that the PSAC schools (and I don’t include the ones outside Pa and the privates-only the 14 state schools) seem to have moved into a Have and Have Not situation.

I graduated from SRU in 04 and the campus is pretty much 50% turned over on facilities since. There’s 1 Residence Hall left since I was there, and something like 80% off on campus housing is now apartment-style for incoming freshmen. This was at a time when Edinboro and Clarion didn’t upgrade much. SRU I think is up 11% since 2010. But most are losing people. The regional public school isn’t as desirable as it once was (and I think fewer people are attending college to begin with).

My daughter started out in that program, it was phenomenal but her heart wasn't staying in that direction, she switched majors to early childhood education and special Education majors. Believe it or not SRU is also 1 one of the premier schools for teachers as well.
SRU is considered the Penn State Wrestling of teacher colleges. I am unbiased and did not graduate from its School of Education or anything.

As a Slippery Rock State College grad I was surprised after I graduated that the school stepped up their game. (Set that softball for yinz). Their 10 year average acceptance average is 71% so they are watering things down again. All schools are fighting over the same potential students.

Slippery Rock's alumni donation rate is around 8%. I was one of them until they killed their wrestling program. I wrote the President back then and said I would put my money in escrow until the program is resurrected. Truth be told, Levi Lamb, Penn State Wrestling team, PSWC, and the NLWC somehow hacked that escrow account.
Yep I was there when they put the final dagger in in about 2002.

The answer was Women’s Crew, which could have had a chance if a river existed that met the requirements within 30 miles. Not sure Slippery Rock Creek could provide too much practice.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Only the best, difficult program, etc.

Great picture, hope my own want to go there as well.

I was in a wedding in 2015 with 7 Michigan alums as groomsmen and probably 80% of the attendees were UM alumni. Being a Slippery Rock grad makes you very interesting in that setting. Not sure Michigan people actually believe it’s a real place. But decades of showing the Slippery Rock scores at Michigan games make it really a fun thing.

SRU followed what Iup and cal u did years ago. Drop wrestling and push push push football and some hoops. We have seen it work through the years for those three in the PSAC. Lot's of upset people when wrestling was dropped at Iup and Cal u. Iup can thank Frank cignetti for that.

Only the best, difficult program, etc.

Great picture, hope my own want to go there as well.

I was in a wedding in 2015 with 7 Michigan alums as groomsmen and probably 80% of the attendees were UM alumni. Being a Slippery Rock grad makes you very interesting in that setting. Not sure Michigan people actually believe it’s a real place. But decades of showing the Slippery Rock scores at Michigan games make it really a fun thing.
Didn’t SRU play in Michigan Stadium one year? Not sure of the opponent but pretty sure they played there.

Didn’t SRU play in Michigan Stadium one year? Not sure of the opponent but pretty sure they played there.
Yup about 5 years ago now I think it was against Ferris State?

My buddy (guy whose wedding I was in) sent me video from a UM game when they showed an SRU score a few years ago, crowd went ballistic. Until I met him I didn’t even know it was a thing but apparently it’s a BIG thing.

Track just put up all starters going for both squads. I believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Under the dashboard tab, it shows Kerk vs. Lodato. Not sure if that means the dual is starting with Kerk???

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mcpat
Only Cael would use all the starters in a dual that we're expecting to seeing some backups. You never know if he's gonna zig or zag.
He did say he was hoping all starters would go during the press availability, but I measured that hope a bit too small, perhaps.

Maybe start w/ Kerk to give Aaron a fitting swan song? For sure his last match in the singlet at Rec--unlike the rest of our "Senior" starters

Track just put up all starters going for both squads. I believe it when I see it.

EDIT: Under the dashboard tab, it shows Kerk vs. Lodato. Not sure if that means the dual is starting with Kerk???
Maybe Cael wants AB to be the final bout. Would be appropriate.

All starters? That would be great, but, short time-wise. I’m at the Taphouse, about to all up.

Reactions: mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT