ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread Ohio State dual - Fri, Feb 2

RB-Old

Jan 22, 2020
Here we go, getting down to the nitty gritty of the season with the Bucknuts followed by the Schlockeyes a week later. I'm thinking we see a full-strength squad except for Kasak who could be going to Edinbory to get some more matches at 149. Here's how I see it:

Davis maj. McCrone 4-0 His top game + 3 pt takedowns can get hiin a win with two takedowns, a good ride and an escape

Nagao dec. Bouzakis 7-0 -Bouzakis is going to get worked on bottom

Bartlett dec. Mendez 10-0- Beau is at his best when guys attack at a high pace, Mendez comes hard but that plays into Beau's hands

D'Emilio dec. Evans 10-3- If Kasak is here we could be looking at a shutout

Haines maj. Wilcok 14-3- Haines is ramping up, bonuses for the next coupleweeks

Mesenbrink tech, Hepner 19-3- I have a hard time picking a pin here but it could easily happen

SuperStarocci maj Welsh 24-3- I'm changing my initial prediction to a pin, the kid is going into the lions den and CStarr is the guy who is going to perform the baptism by fire

Truax maj. Shumate 28-3 Bernie seems to have picked up and should handke shumate easily

Brooks- I'm leading toward a pin now, he's gonna rough this guy up and Daniel Greg will do the same at 285

Kerk maj. Feldman 36-3

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Most likely PSU losses: Beau will have his hands full. It could go south real fast if he’s not feeling good. He could also counter and deck Mendez.

Bouzakis can end a match in a heartbeat if Nagao is sloppy. But, Bouzkis is also terrible on bottom. If Nagao has choice in third, and he’s losing, top. No question. Torture Bouzakis.

If D’Emilio can get back to form he can beat Kasak or Evans. Right now, based on what I’ve seen recently, toss up, slight lean Kasak.

Every other match should be a comfortable win, with brutality in the back half of the lineup.

Don't be surprised if Rogotzke goes at 184 for Tan Tom. Only a true frosh, but the dude is a pinner. I think he's better than Shumate, based on what I've seen so far.

Feldman is improving.

I'll give Starocci a major over Welsh, but not a pin.

Reactions: donboy6499
Here we go, getting down to the nitty gritty of the season with the Bucknuts followed by the Schlockeyes a week later. I'm thinking we see a full-strength squad except for Kasak who could be going to Edinbory to get some more matches at 149. Here's how I see it:

Davis maj. McCrone 4-0 His top game + 3 pt takedowns can get hiin a win with two takedowns, a good ride and an escape

Bartlett dec. Mendez 10-0- Beau is at his best when guys attack at a high pace, Mendez comes hard but that plays into Beau's hands

Mesenbrink tech, Hepner 19-3- I have a hard time picking a pin here but it could easily happen

SuperStarocci maj Welsh 24-3- I'm changing my initial prediction to a pin, the kid is going into the lions den and CStarr is the guy who is going to perform the baptism by fire

Truax maj. Shumate 28-3 Bernie seems to have picked up and should handke shumate easily

Brooks- I'm leading toward a pin now, he's gonna rough this guy up and Daniel Greg will do the same at 285

Kerk maj. Feldman 36-3
Curious as to why predict Evans with a Kasak maybe vs the other way around, considering the recent Kasak win?

Reactions: Ski
Curious as to why predict Evans with a Kasak maybe vs the other way around, considering the recent Kasak win?
The first paragraph says Kasak goes to Edinboro to make sure he gets enough matches for an RPI. I doubt it, but will see. I think Kasak Is definitely the starter though.

There's no need for Kasak to go to Edinboro. He's 7-0 at 149 with 5 duals remaining. Barring injury, he achieves the RPI minimum 15 matches unless he goes 0-2 at B10s, which isn't happening.

Also, D'Emilio is a returning AA. Good measuring stick for Kasak.

Evans could go to Edinboro, just to ensure he gets to 15 matches if Kasak gets hurt.

There was a debate as to whether the Kasak vs Evans match counted toward their RPI. Has that been answered with certainty?

There was a debate as to whether the Kasak vs Evans match counted toward their RPI. Has that been answered with certainty?
The only certainty we have is if you believe the document on criteria released by the NCAA.

There's no need for Kasak to go to Edinboro. He's 7-0 at 149 with 5 duals remaining. Barring injury, he achieves the RPI minimum 15 matches unless he goes 0-2 at B10s, which isn't happening.

Evans could go to Edinboro, just to ensure he gets to 15 matches if Kasak gets hurt.
Yeah, D'Emilio would be a great test for Kasak. I'd love to see this matchup.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I think we'll see Rogotzke at 184.

Hard kid to handicap. He rag-dolled Bullock Friday night, but he has lost to guys ranked above #50.

Reactions: donboy6499
I think we'll see Rogotzke at 184.

Hard kid to handicap. He rag-dolled Bullock Friday night, but he has lost to guys ranked above #50.
I don't think Rogotzke has hit his 5 dates yet, so whether we see him depends on whether they are committed to him as the starter or not. He wrestled against Michigan because he could have been (and was as it turns out) the difference between winning and losing. That's not the case vs PSU. Bullock looked awful. He did absolutely nothing the whole match.

Rogotzke wrestled at the Clarion Open, VT dual, Cleveland State Open, NIU dual, NCS dual, Midlands, and the Mich dual.

If he still has his shirt, then I still don't understand how this new rule works. Was it that he was unattached at a couple of events?

Rogotzke wrestled at the Clarion Open, VT dual, Cleveland State Open, NIU dual, NCS dual, Midlands, and the Mich dual.

If he still has his shirt then I still don't understand how this new rule works. I see that he was unattached at a couple of events.
He's still listed a RS on Wrestlestat. Midlands could be considered 2nd semester and unattached, but that would make Friday's dual the 6th date and his shirt officially pulled, which WS should update today. If they are pulling his shirt, then I expect him to start. There's no reason to burn it for a backup.

Kasak already has 11 matches. If he completes all duals he will have 16, need 15 for RPI. I think he goes from here out

Kerk maj. Feldman 36-3
Anyone planning to enjoy a beverage after the demolition on Friday night? Whiskey Bar?

I don't think Rogotzke has hit his 5 dates yet, so whether we see him depends on whether they are committed to him as the starter or not. He wrestled against Michigan because he could have been (and was as it turns out) the difference between winning and losing. That's not the case vs PSU. Bullock looked awful. He did absolutely nothing the whole match.
I don't think Bullock looked awful. He got hurt in the first scramble and gave up the TD and choice which put him in the hole.

He almost had a TD to get back in it, but then lost another 50/50 to his back to go down by double digits. After that, yeah he gave up.

Competitive matches can turn on a scramble and then can get away from you at times. It happens and I think this is a good example of that. The next time those two meet the outcome could be markedly different.

He's still listed a RS on Wrestlestat. Midlands could be considered 2nd semester and unattached, but that would make Friday's dual the 6th date and his shirt officially pulled, which WS should update today. If they are pulling his shirt, then I expect him to start. There's no reason to burn it for a backup.
Take off Midlands and he still has 6, by my addition.

Wouldnt be the first blunder found on WS.

Anyone planning to enjoy a beverage after the demolition on Friday night? Whiskey Bar?
giphy.gif

Bullock was possibly at least slightly concussed for most of that bout against Rogotzke. Bullock took an elbow to the back of the head in the first period and was clearly dazed for a few moments. Not sure he was really ready to continue the bout, and the rest of the way wasn't good for him.

Take off Midlands and he still has 6, by my addition.

Wouldnt be the first blunder found on WS.
I think the site leaves the status of wrestlers mostly to the fans.
You [or anyone] could go to Wrestlestat right now and change Rogotzke to "starter" if you wanted to.

You will likely not see Rogotzke, as they are not going to pull his shirt and would not make much sense to put him in for a dual that cant be won. Ohio State will between the injuries and the youth are not going to be able to even compete a little with Penn St. Keep in mind we starting 6 Fr/RSF and 1 Sophomore and 8 of our guys are first year starters.

You will likely not see Rogotzke, as they are not going to pull his shirt and would not make much sense to put him in for a dual that cant be won. Ohio State will between the injuries and the youth are not going to be able to even compete a little with Penn St. Keep in mind we starting 6 Fr/RSF and 1 Sophomore and 8 of our guys are first year starters.
The Michigan match was his 6th appearance this season, so the shirt is already pulled. I suspect he is the guy going forward or they wouldn't have pulled it.

Tom Ryan is already in postseason form if he’s telling wrestlers to default that aren’t even his offspring. He also looked relaxed like he was sitting in a Aruban beach chair at the Michigan dual. I’m getting scared guys.

I agree with this math and thought process, but I wouldn't take a chance and get the extra matches at a tournament and not bank on 2 at Big Tens. The injury element scares me here.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
I agree with this math and thought process, but I wouldn't take a chance and get the extra matches at a tournament and not bank on 2 at Big Tens. The injury element scares me here.
That's all the more reason to wrestle Kasak vs Ohio State -- less injury risk in a single match than in 4 or 5 matches in one day.

Another is: until we see the registration list and/or brackets, he might get a few matches that don't count toward the RPI minimum -- lower division, FLWC (Cornell grayshirts), etc.

Reactions: Raw Daddy
I’d like to see Kasak go to another tournament. Anyone, really, that’s going to have 13 or fewer matches before Big Tens. I don’t want to see a MFF at Big Tens keep our guy from 15 matches. Don’t play the edges on this.

Agreed, somewhat. MFFs don't count, could someone purposely not send someone out at 149 just to screw with Cael? Highly doubtful, but not impossible. Skin check, sickness, injury.

I am warming, by the minute, to the idea of sending him to a tourney, plus it gives Evans another go under a very bright spotlight. Fun for him.

Agreed, somewhat. MFFs don't count, could someone purposely not send someone out at 149 just to screw with Cael? Highly doubtful, but not impossible. Skin check, sickness, injury.

I am warming, by the minute, to the idea of sending him to a tourney, plus it gives Evans another go under a very bright spotlight. Fun for him.
The way I understand it, it doesn’t screw Cael or PSU, it screws the conference as they would get less allocated spots. Pretty sure our wrestlers will place high enough to get an allocated spot but another wrestler from another school will miss out due to less allocated spots for the B1G at that weight.

If that is correct the other B1G teams would want to be sure to get him the matches and would not be holding out wrestlers vs PSU.

I could be wrong but that is how I understand it..

hate to be negative, but since TanTom and tOSU is not favored.... someone will be held out... just don't know who

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT