ADVERTISEMENT

F.W.I.W. Browns Preparing To Offer Urban Meyer The Biggest Coaching Contract In NFL Histo

step.eng69

Nov 7, 2012
North East PA, Backmountain area, age 75
F.W.I.W. Browns Preparing To Offer Urban Meyer The Biggest Coaching Contract In NFL History

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/exclusive-browns-preparing-offer-urban-meyer-biggest-coaching-contract-nfl-history-24607
b4620030b72967f2f04518e720c85fab-original.jpg

Ha! If losing in college football gave him a heart attack, then imagine how his health would deteriorate when he has to try to win with the big boys (in Cleveland no less)!!!

IMO, he has a job for life at OSU. NFL, you're here today, gone tomorrow.

I guess that would depend upon what guarantees and protections are built into the most lucrative contract ever offered in the NFL, wouldn't it? If the offer a cotract where all of the optionality resides with Clevland ownership and 100% of LT risk resides with UM, than it's not the most lucrative contract ever offered in NFL history imho.

IMO, he has a job for life at OSU. NFL, you're here today, gone tomorrow.

With Urban, a heading coach stint lasts between 2 (Bowling Green, Utah) to 6 years (Florida). This marks season four at OSU. He isn't one that is worried about a job for life as much as he is with moving onto the next "challenge". He can build a program quicker than most, but doesn't stick around to sustain it.

Reactions: step.eng69
it certainly wouldn't hurt us if both Urbs and Harbaugh left for the NFL this offseason...

If you are a Buckeye and member of the dawg pound, how do you take this? Are you pissed or happy? Does JT head back there?

Nope, OSU would be super happy about this. Then they could go for future coaching hall of famer Pat Narduzzi. He's already done the impossible in only one season at Pitt, by winning 17 national titles.

Ask the Skins how Steve Spurrier worked out. Urban's a great coach but NFL would chew him up and spit him out.
Agree - it rarely (if ever) works out jumping from cfb to the pro's. Pete Carrol did it, but he had NFL experience prior to his success at USC. But guys like UM (and Spurrier and Kelly and...) have massive egos that keep pushing them into the next big thing. If he goes to Cleveland, he'll either retire early off of the ridiculous salary they'll pay him, or be back on campus within 5 years.

Agree - it rarely (if ever) works out jumping from cfb to the pro's. Pete Carrol did it, but he had NFL experience prior to his success at USC. But guys like UM (and Spurrier and Kelly and...) have massive egos that keep pushing them into the next big thing. If he goes to Cleveland, he'll either retire early off of the ridiculous salary they'll pay him, or be back on campus within 5 years.

I thought saint Nick Sabin left LSU for NFL Miami then to Alabama

Last edited:
Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I thought saint Nick Sabin left LSU for Miami then to Alabama
He did, but wasn't as successful as Coach Carrol, and ultimately returned to college without achieving the success I'm sure he thought he would. My point was that great college coaches rarely achieve greatness (defined by championships) in the NFL.

He'd be a fool to go, I agree, but you can't discount the egos these guys have. And if he was raised as a Browns' fan, as Cowher was a Steelers' fan, you can never tell how that plays into it.

The Browns have actually has some good coaches. I thought the team was improving under Shurmur...he just needed a qb. Whoever, made the decision to draft Manzel must be behind the idea of hiring Urban. Urban's a great college coach but everybody is paying for players in the NFL.

The Browns have actually has some good coaches. I thought the team was improving under Shurmur...he just needed a qb. Whoever, made the decision to draft Manzel must be behind the idea of hiring Urban. Urban's a great college coach but everybody is paying for players in the NFL.

"He just needed a QB" - Says Shurmur and every coach since Schottenheimer.
Has a team ever been this bereft of talent at QB in the history of the game?
Here are the QB's that have played at Cleveland since Bernie Kosar... (tip of the hat to Google, I'm a Browns fan and have blocked out memories of half of these guys)
Jeff Christensen
Mike Pagel
Don Strock
Mike Tomczak
Todd Philcox
Vinny Testaverde
Mark Rypien
Eric Zeier
Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Peterson
Spergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Cold McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallace
Brandon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Jason Campbell
Brian Hoyer
Johnny Manziel

Utterly pathetic.

Reactions: masterbaker65
100% lead pipe lock that is he does go to the Browns that it will be a disaster. There is a good reason that none of Urban's QB's have never succeeded in the NFL and it's because his schoolyard offense never develops them into passers (look at the passing ability of the 3 qb's in Columbus now) but most importantly you try to run that offense in the NFL and you're QB will get killed.....instantly!

Reactions: fasttracker
Here are the QB's that have played at Cleveland since Bernie Kosar... (tip of the hat to Google, I'm a Browns fan and have blocked out memories of half of these guys). Utterly pathetic.
Damn. You have my sympathies. Who was the quarterback during the Earnest Byner fumble game? I forget.

Ha! If losing in college football gave him a heart attack, then imagine how his health would deteriorate when he has to try to win with the big boys (in Cleveland no less)!!!
Manziel will give him a heart attack on his own? The chit stains would definitely be Meyers first losing stop!

Here are the QB's that have played at Cleveland since Bernie Kosar... (tip of the hat to Google, I'm a Browns fan and have blocked out memories of half of these guys)
Jeff Christensen
Mike Pagel
Don Strock
Mike Tomczak
Todd Philcox
Vinny Testaverde
Mark Rypien
Eric Zeier
Tim Couch
Ty Detmer
Doug Peterson
Spergon Wynn
Kelly Holcomb
Jeff Garcia
Luke McCown
Trent Dilfer
Charlie Frye
Derek Anderson
Brady Quinn
Ken Dorsey
Bruce Gradkowski
Cold McCoy
Jake Delhomme
Seneca Wallace
Brandon Weeden
Thad Lewis
Jason Campbell
Brian Hoyer
Johnny Manziel

Utterly pathetic.

I believe Otto Graham could out quarterback these guys. And he has been dead for 12 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT