ADVERTISEMENT

F.W.I.W. Browns Preparing To Offer Urban Meyer The Biggest Coaching Contract In NFL Histo

So this is bullshit, right? I don't see major news outlets reporting it. Nothing on espn.go.com. Nothing on bleacherreport.com.

IMO, he has a job for life at OSU. NFL, you're here today, gone tomorrow.

Not true. Some schools you can work for "life". For example PSU. As long as the head coach is graduating 80-90% of the players, winning 8-10 games on a yearly basis and about every 3rd or 4th year has a great 11-12 win season .... then at PSU the coach has a "job of life". But I guarantee you that is not the case in Columbus. Let Urban Meyer go on a 4-year stretch of say: 8-4, 9-3, 11-2, 8-4 .... and I will guarantee that the lunatics in Columbus will be calling for his had.

There are different levels of jobs in D1, and I'd say that the pressure to win in Columbus is as close to the pressure to win in the NFL as any D1 job.

Maybe bull... maybe not. Maybe Urban is interested and allowed this to leak as a precursor of a move. One has to wonder if the blowup by the OSU running back and quarterback might have soured Urban. Got to believe he was not too happy to be castigated by players in the media. Maybe the house there is all that cozy

I think Meyer would have as good a chance at succeeding as a first year NFL coach as any other first year NFL coach. Meaning that his success would greatly depend on the level of talent on his team and the quality of his staff.
At the Browns that would be very difficult to accomplish.

I don't believe that Meyer would run the same system in the NFL as he does in college. It makes me laugh when message board hacks (I am one too) believe that they know more about football than guys who are paid a lot of money and are very successful at coaching.

But as for leaving, I don't think he does. The truth is, coaching is much more important in college football than it is in the NFL. In addition, at the right program, college football is the better gig.

F.W.I.W. Browns Preparing To Offer Urban Meyer The Biggest Coaching Contract In NFL History

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/exclusive-browns-preparing-offer-urban-meyer-biggest-coaching-contract-nfl-history-24607
b4620030b72967f2f04518e720c85fab-original.jpg
Every coach has succeeded at OSU. The pea brain Urbie is at least smart enough to know he is successful mostly because he has chosen schools in great recruiting territory. The NFL would eat the precious flower up and spit him out, both on the field and psychologically. He probably isn't going anywhere, unless he wants to score quick financial hit, then retire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT