ADVERTISEMENT

FC:Cam Sullivan-Brown in transfer protocol...

Another one... I guess JF plans on starting all freshman WRs!?!
Hamler, Dotson, Shorter, George, Hipp?
All at least in their 2nd year, and with some experience

Surprised to see Sullivan-Brown checking the exits, but seems like the best players will play

**note -- I see nittanybear's comment above
**RickinDayton -- don't forget Dotson; he can be very good

I believe that leaves PSU with 4 scholarship WRs:
Hamler
Shorter
George
Hippenhamer

2 incoming Freshman:
Dunmore
T J Jones

Could be going after the VT grad transfer WR

Surprised that Cam Sullivan-Brown entered portal. He was probably going to see increased PT.

Last edited:
Hamlet
Shorter
George
Hippenhamer

2 incoming Freshman:
Dunmore
T J Jones

Surprised that Cam Sullivan-Brown entered portal. He was probably going to see increased PT.
You forgot Jahan Dotson.

Hamlet
Shorter
George
Hippenhamer

2 incoming Freshman:
Dunmore
T J Jones

Dotson as well.

Hamler, Dotson, Shorter, George, Hipp?
All at least in their 2nd year, and with some experience

Surprised to see Sullivan-Brown checking the exits, but seems like the best players will play

**note -- I see nittanybear's comment above
**RickinDayton -- don't forget Dotson; he can be very good
Yes, thanks for the reminder re: Dotson. Still taken aback regarding Cam SB entering portal.

Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
Sounds like a great opportunity for Brenton Strange to play WR and not TE.

Likely not Strange, as he will likely redshirt. But possibly Kuntz....

Hamler
Shorter
George
Hippenhamer

2 incoming Freshman:
Dunmore
T J Jones

Also remember that none of PSU's 4 WR's that entered the portal have reportedly committed to other schools (per 247), so 1 or more may return to PSU just like Wade did. And CJF may end up bringing in a transfer WR from another school as he has lots of open scholarships to use if he chooses to. I would be very surprised if CJF did not add at least one WR from the portal, from another school or a PSU WR that returns to PSU.

Undecided WR's that are in the transfer portal (Updated as of 2/10/19):

Irvin Charles, Penn State
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Carmoni Green, Illinois
Justin McGriff, Nebraska
Keith Mixon, Mississippi State
Montel Parker, Texas A&M
Juwan Johnson, Penn State
George Campbell, Florida State
Griffin King, Auburn
Brandon Polk, Penn State
Eric Kumah, Virginia Tech
Keyston Fuller, Duke
Benaiah Franklin, Purdue
Audie Omotosho, UCLA
Samuel Denmark, Virginia Tech
Rashad Blunt, Rutgers
Tavin Richardson, Kentucky
Trevon Sidney, USC
Kainoa Wilson, Washington State
Josh Imatorbhebhe, USC
Wooby Theork-Youmans, Virginia
Aaron Young, Duke
Terrell Chatman, Arizona State
Keynel McZeal, Texas A&M
Jaylon Robinson, Oklahoma
Cam Sullivan-Brown, Penn State

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
What I don’t get is, do these kids really expect more PT at another P5 school? They’re probably going to be transferring in the same situation they’re in now unless they go the Delaware, Umass, etc route

Reactions: Nitt1300
What I don’t get is, do these kids really expect more PT at another P5 school? They’re probably going to be transferring in the same situation they’re in now unless they go the Delaware, Umass, etc route
At every level most of the players not starting think they should be. I guess guys are convinced another staff will recognize what Franklin did not

Nothing wrong with that. Isabella from UMass about to get paid, probably never would have got chance at bigger school. Breneman transferred to UMass and blew up, only knee issue cost him being in NFL right now.

These kids have a small window of opportunity to showcase themselves, sitting on a bench and maybe rotating in every few series leaves them less chance to reach their ultimate goal of reaching the NFL. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Wish him the best.

Nothing wrong with that. Isabella from UMass about to get paid, probably never would have got chance at bigger school. Breneman transferred to UMass and blew up, only knee issue cost him being in NFL right now.

These kids have a small window of opportunity to showcase themselves, sitting on a bench and maybe rotating in every few series leaves them less chance to reach their ultimate goal of reaching the NFL. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Wish him the best.

He can lose a year of eligibility and still have two years left. Barring injuries he likely would not have played much at Penn State the next couple of years.

I wonder if he will transfer to Maryland. Lower Level Power 5 school closer to home.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I’m actually starting to get sick of college football. Shit is nonsense anymore.

I sort of agree. In a weird way it's getting a little like the NBA in which the rules are set up to enable a few teams to building "super teams" and they will be the only ones competing for national championships.

1. Between Social Media and Camps and All Star Games, we are seeing these kids recruit each other like never before. There are rules in place that prohibit how much contact schools/coaching staffs can contact prospects. But no rules obviously about how much contact they can have with each other. The top players use social media/camps/all star games to all get to know each other and recruit each other.

2. Transfers. It's become a total joke. Patterson and Fields being able to start immediately at Michigan and OSU is a joke. The transfer portal has basically created a Free Agency system in college football in which any player can simply enter his name see what other schools want to take him and then make a decision to leave... it's free agency at the college level.

The transfer portal has basically created a Free Agency system in college football in which any player can simply enter his name see what other schools want to take him and then make a decision to leave... it's free agency at the college level.

It's no different than it was before. Just now you don't need your coach's permission to see what other schools want you then make a decision to leave.

Like blacknall before him, I thought CSB was underutilized. For nothing else but the fact that he caught everything thrown his way on a team full of receivers that couldn't catch, I guess I cant blame him for being pissed off.

I understand your point, but if he wasn’t showing in practice that he was just as good or better than the others than his playing time was commensurate.

Games aren’t to see if you will step up prove it on the practice field. So of course we don’t see practice but we have to assume that he didn’t warrant more playing time based on what he had shown in practices.

If a kid has a lack of playing time there usually a reason.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Like blacknall before him, I thought CSB was underutilized. For nothing else but the fact that he caught everything thrown his way on a team full of receivers that couldn't catch, I guess I cant blame him for being pissed off.

I agree with this....however, I wonder what took him so long to be pissed off about it?

Is there a list, by school, of all players who entered into transfer pool this year? I just wondered if PSU had the most, or is there number typical of a number of schools?

Is there a list, by school, of all players who entered into transfer pool this year? I just wondered if PSU had the most, or is there number typical of a number of schools?

Some schools had a lot like us — Illinois has 8 or 9– we might take the cake though.

I’m not advocating this, but are coaches permitted to pull a scholarship if a kid enters the portal? At what point are scholarships renewed?

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I’m not advocating this, but are coaches permitted to pull a scholarship if a kid enters the portal? At what point are scholarships renewed?
The University has to honor their scholarship through the end of the semester. If they decide they want to pull their name from the portal there is no guarantee that they will have a scholarship for the next season.

Once notification of transfer is signed, your current school has the right to reduce or cancel your financial aid at the end of the academic term. (Read more about the financial aid proposal on ncaa.org.)• After notification, your original school is not obligated to take you back as a student-athlete.
http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/di-saac-notification-transfer.pdf

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I sort of agree. In a weird way it's getting a little like the NBA in which the rules are set up to enable a few teams to building "super teams" and they will be the only ones competing for national championships.

1. Between Social Media and Camps and All Star Games, we are seeing these kids recruit each other like never before. There are rules in place that prohibit how much contact schools/coaching staffs can contact prospects. But no rules obviously about how much contact they can have with each other. The top players use social media/camps/all star games to all get to know each other and recruit each other.

2. Transfers. It's become a total joke. Patterson and Fields being able to start immediately at Michigan and OSU is a joke. The transfer portal has basically created a Free Agency system in college football in which any player can simply enter his name see what other schools want to take him and then make a decision to leave... it's free agency at the college level.
That the immediate playing time is at OSU and Michigan is truly precious.

I understand your point, but if he wasn’t showing in practice that he was just as good or better than the others than his playing time was commensurate.

Games aren’t to see if you will step up prove it on the practice field. So of course we don’t see practice but we have to assume that he didn’t warrant more playing time based on what he had shown in practices.

If a kid has a lack of playing time there usually a reason.

Then I guess Ricky Rahne must be incredible in practice because he leaves a lot to be desired on game days. I kid, I see your point

Reactions: Rollin Stone
I agree with this....however, I wonder what took him so long to be pissed off about it?

He is a sophomore, it's not like he is dragging his feet. He redshirted and figured this would be his year to shine and basically he got jumped by an unproven true WR in Dotson. He probably thought that unfair considering he never dropped a thing in games.

Hamler
Shorter
George
Hippenhamer

2 incoming Freshman:
Dunmore
T J Jones

Missed a starter Dotson and a late recruit TJ Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT