ADVERTISEMENT

FC:Cam Sullivan-Brown in transfer protocol...

Several years ago, like ten, I sat next to a scout for the Broncos. He felt that WR was the hardest place to recruit and evaluate talent. He said good WR's come in 5-7 packages and 6-5 packages. Some are fast, some are not. He felt most other positions brought some level of physicality to the table. I mean, if you want to play DT you'd better push 300 lbs or be ~ 6-6 3xx to play RT. I thought of him watching the Pats have an effective passing game with 6 1 205 hogan, 5 10 195 Edelman and moving 6 6 280 Gronk out wide from time to time. None of these guys is 4.5 or lower in the 40. And none of them played WR in college.

What I don’t get is, do these kids really expect more PT at another P5 school? They’re probably going to be transferring in the same situation they’re in now unless they go the Delaware, Umass, etc route

From what I'm seeing, on the PSU side of things, aren't many transferring to other P5 schools at all.
of our, current, 14 in the portal I only see Alex G going to UVA and Dalton to BC.
Juwan was looking at Oregon but so far still looking.

Last edited:
Last I checked, the average - for P5 program - is just a shade under 3 per team.
(roughly, something on the order of 180 or so from the 65 P5 teams... that's a rough number, not an exact up-to-the-minute)

OSU (last I checked) had 3.... UMich had 4..... and PSU had 10.

Obviously :) , there is a wide cast of characters who have passed through, or are currently in the transfer system.... ranging from guys like Irvin Charles, to guys like Kelly Bryant.

Almost all of them are either "moving down a level" wrt the quality of the football program they are going to, or moving from one similar program to another (guys like Hurts, Fields, Bryant, etc).

Only a very, very, very select few are moving from a "lesser" program to a MNC contender.
You’re correct as of right now, however the portal appears to have initially caught administrators and coaches off guard. If the parameters aren’t tightened, coaches at “ elite “ programs once they are up to speed should able to capitalize on this potential windfall. It’s easy to imagine highly successful schools being able to steal ready made replacements from lesser programs with little investment. And quite frankly who could blame the players?

What I don’t get is, do these kids really expect more PT at another P5 school? They’re probably going to be transferring in the same situation they’re in now unless they go the Delaware, Umass, etc route

Some of them are. Jarvis Miller to UMass, Isaiah Humphries to California, Jenkins to Duquesne, Brelin Walden to Charlotte, Dea'lun Darian to Delaware

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmase21
I agree with this....however, I wonder what took him so long to be pissed off about it?

Was known for a while two more would be transferring. Dont think it was a spur of the moment decision. There's another one by all reports coming and has been mentioned for a while.

Was known for a while two more would be transferring. Dont think it was a spur of the moment decision. There's another one by all reports coming and has been mentioned for a while.

Really? can you drop some hints? LOL.
I kind of thought we would be done until spring.
I do expect to see 1 or 2 more go after the BW game.

Really? can you drop some hints? LOL.
I kind of thought we would be done until spring.
I do expect to see 1 or 2 more go after the BW game.
how long is the "window" open or can anyone move into the Portal at any time?

man-falling-into-a-vortex.gif

how long is the "window" open or can anyone move into the Portal at any time?

man-falling-into-a-vortex.gif

Believe there are no deadlines. As a practical matter, if someone isn't out by mid-July that person is pretty much screwed.

Reactions: Obliviax
Believe there are no deadlines. As a practical matter, if someone isn't out by mid-July that person is pretty much screwed.
Mid July?? Marshall will take them any time up until October for the current season, after that you may have to wait until next year!

NCAA is going to have to define a two week window or something. They are going to have to give the school a chance to assess their losses and make adjustments. I mean, they count toward the 85 man limit so how can you go get a couple of kids in the portal without knowing how many you are going to lose?

Amazing the NCAA didn't see this coming and have some parameters around the program

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
So there is no fixed date to enter your name in the portal ? Any given day a kid can wake and decide to leave the program for any reason ? Glorified free agency has now hit college football which means no one honors their word or commitment anymore. Stopped watching the NFL and looks like the NCAA is doing their best alienate their fan base as well. The disparity between the haves and have nots will be greater than ever in the current state of affairs. Damn shame the feckless NCAA is ruining the sport.

Reactions: doc69
NCAA is going to have to define a two week window or something. They are going to have to give the school a chance to assess their losses and make adjustments. I mean, they count toward the 85 man limit so how can you go get a couple of kids in the portal without knowing how many you are going to lose?

Amazing the NCAA didn't see this coming and have some parameters around the program

So there is no fixed date to enter your name in the portal ? Any given day a kid can wake and decide to leave the program for any reason ? Glorified free agency has now hit college football which means no one honors their word or commitment anymore. Stopped watching the NFL and looks like the NCAA is doing their best alienate their fan base as well. The disparity between the haves and have nots will be greater than ever in the current state of affairs. Damn shame the feckless NCAA is ruining the sport.

Nope. See: Kelly Bryant. Announced his intention to transfer end of September, chose school early December. Can't imagine that Dabo was particularly happy with that timing.

I understand your point, but if he wasn’t showing in practice that he was just as good or better than the others than his playing time was commensurate.

Games aren’t to see if you will step up prove it on the practice field. So of course we don’t see practice but we have to assume that he didn’t warrant more playing time based on what he had shown in practices.

If a kid has a lack of playing time there usually a reason.

Why was Barkley on the bench vs Temple?

Zwinak started 2012 as 5th string. He sat the bench vs Ohio U while Derrick Day had 20 carries for 40 yds. He started game 4 and finished the season as the #1 RB.

Games are more important than practice. Sometimes coaches make mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Wonder how many more are going to enter the portal after the end of spring practice if they are not happy with their position on the depth chart.

Reactions: BBrown and sluggo72
Why was Barkley on the bench vs Temple?

Zwinak started 2012 as 5th string. He sat the bench vs Ohio U while Derrick Day had 20 carries for 40 yds. He started game 4 and finished the season as the #1 RB.

Games are more important than practice. Sometimes coaches make mistakes.

Understand what I saying, I'm saying based on the coaches evaluations (yes they are human bias, mistakes, etc) By the coaches evaluation they are playing the guys that in practice have shown that they are ready to help the team win.

In some positions you may have the 3/4th team player can contribute, at another position the 2nd team player is shaky. Players earn playing time in Practice, if you suck at practice it is unlikely that you are going to light it up during the game. This idea of "a gamer", is not relied upon by the coaches. If player wants to play in games show in practice you can do all the things that you are asked to do right.

Now it is helpful with the new redshirt rules of playing in 4 games to see what they can do. But there is a reason why some players get a chance early and some don't. They have to show the coaches something in practice while competing vs the other players.

The portal has nothing to do with this. Guys asked for their release in prior years at random times. The creation of the portal and the chance to the permission to contact rules didn't change that.

The portal has nothing to do with this. Guys asked for their release in prior years at random times. The creation of the portal and the chance to the permission to contact rules didn't change that.
Agree and disagree. The lack of a portal made a player have to pretty much declare that they they were going to leave...but at the same time, not knowing where they were going to go. So, my point is, it was a pretty scary leap of faith. Today, with the portal, they can have discussions with several schools and then make a decision to stay or go. To me, that's a big difference. Really, no downside to entering the portal at all so why not enter it and see what happens?

The lack of a portal made a player have to pretty much declare that they they were going to leave...but at the same time, not knowing where they were going to go

Not at all. They had to declare before, too. Just they needed the coach's permission to do so. And it'd be harder before to know where you were going to go at the time you declare since everything was so hush hush. Now everyone knows 5 minutes after the fact that you're on the market.

Not at all. They had to declare before, too. Just they needed the coach's permission to do so. And it'd be harder before to know where you were going to go at the time you declare since everything was so hush hush. Now everyone knows 5 minutes after the fact that you're on the market.
I don't think they have to "declare" in the portal. They are just testing the waters and can come back. In the old scenario, they pretty much had to be released and were not permitted to have conversations until they were released. Perhaps I am wrong here but can't recall a kid who was released from a school that ended up coming back

Agree and disagree. The lack of a portal made a player have to pretty much declare that they they were going to leave...but at the same time, not knowing where they were going to go. So, my point is, it was a pretty scary leap of faith. Today, with the portal, they can have discussions with several schools and then make a decision to stay or go. To me, that's a big difference. Really, no downside to entering the portal at all so why not enter it and see what happens?

Hard to say because before the rule change allowing coaches to block all or specific-school transfers which essentially gave rise to the portal, we never really knew what took place in the background before news became public. Existence of the portal certainly makes it easier for the kid. Even with a blanket release, doubt that there were any kids in contact with much more than a half dozen schools.

I don't think they have to "declare" in the portal. They are just testing the waters and can come back. In the old scenario, they pretty much had to be released and were not permitted to have conversations until they were released. Perhaps I am wrong here but can't recall a kid who was released from a school that ended up coming back

You didn't hear about guys before being released and coming back because there was no portal to let you know they were released in the first place. The only thing that has changed is the trigger to be "released." Last year it was when the coach said "you're released." Now it's when the player says "release me."

If kids entering the portal think they are "testing" and can "come back" I think the vast majority are in for a rude awakening. I could be wrong, but I think once most are in they're done with their current school. Some will be persuaded or allowed to return, but most are gone.

Nope.

No one has to keep a spot warm for them once the go "into the portal".
disagree, they can make a decision to stay or go (nothing makes them go) OTOH the school can also make a decision not to fund their scholarships, so if they wanted to stay, they could, but they would have to pay their own way. Of if they are good enough, the school may have held back and not given away their scholarship and hoped for the best.

disagree, they can make a decision to stay or go (nothing makes them go) OTOH the school can also make a decision not to fund their scholarships, so if they wanted to stay, they could, but they would have to pay their own way. Of if they are good enough, the school may have held back and not given away their scholarship and hoped for the best.

Any coach with half a brain has to figure that if a kid wants out, he's gone. Might make an exception for a putative starter, but that's about it.

Does anyone know if he and others in the transfer portal are taking part in winter workouts? Franklin said that the NCAA left such decisions up to the individual schools and Franklin didn't explain what actions PSU is taken in regards to players in the portal.

Any coach with half a brain has to figure that if a kid wants out, he's gone. Might make an exception for a putative starter, but that's about it.
no disagreement there, point being they can come back, per the rules. That said, as all of this is new, it would not surprise to see a coach say things along the lines of, 'put your name in the portal, you are done, as soon as I can take you off aid, you are off aid, no exceptions'. FWIW I think PSU has a high number in the portal, especially for a program that has done well recently.

no disagreement there, point being they can come back, per the rules. That said, as all of this is new, it would not surprise to see a coach say things along the lines of, 'put your name in the portal, you are done, as soon as I can take you off aid, you are off aid, no exceptions'. FWIW I think PSU has a high number in the portal, especially for a program that has done well recently.

True, but prior to the portal there was no rule that said that a kid who was released by a school couldn't return to that same school.

Anyone ever think we would see the day where we had a 2 page thread about Cam Sullivan Brown?

If kids entering the portal think they are "testing" and can "come back" I think the vast majority are in for a rude awakening. I could be wrong, but I think once most are in they're done with their current school. Some will be persuaded or allowed to return, but most are gone.
Don't disagree...but it is needs based. If a coach like CJF really wants a kid, he'll take him back if he can't find a better home. To me, this is like the 40 man roster in MLB.

lamonte wade

Don't disagree...but it is needs based. If a coach like CJF really wants a kid, he'll take him back if he can't find a better home. To me, this is like the 40 man roster in MLB.

Agree, but I can't see it being done on a (relatively) large scale basis. Sends the wrong message. As a coach, would you want to go through a similar exercise from January to (fill in the blank) every year?

They are just testing the waters and can come back.
They may not be able to come back. Once they enter the portal the give up their spot on team and coaches are under no obligation to take them back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT