ADVERTISEMENT

FC:Cam Sullivan-Brown in transfer protocol...

Agree, but I can't see it being done on a (relatively) large scale basis. Sends the wrong message. As a coach, would you want to go through a similar exercise from January to (fill in the blank) every year?
The way I see it, there are one of three choices:

1. leave the portal alone making college football a relative free agent endeavor year in and year out. In this case, you'll have a third recruiting period (LOI 1, LOI 2 and portal free agents)
  2. Limit the circumstances by which a player can enter the portal. Some examples might be anyone who didn't letter, can't leave until after your true soph year, open the portal to two weeks between the first and second signing period, etc. Perhaps open it up for kids in programs where the HC changes.
  3. Create a reserve list, perhaps the first and second kid in each position; like a 44 man reserve list. Reserve a kicker or punter at the risk of a second team player.

I am sure there are more options, just thinking out loud. But ncaa is either going to have to do 1 (which will damage the game) or 2/3.

Reactions: brupsu
The way I see it, there are one of three choices:

1. leave the portal alone making college football a relative free agent endeavor year in and year out. In this case, you'll have a third recruiting period (LOI 1, LOI 2 and portal free agents)
  2. Limit the circumstances by which a player can enter the portal. Some examples might be anyone who didn't letter, can't leave until after your true soph year, open the portal to two weeks between the first and second signing period, etc. Perhaps open it up for kids in programs where the HC changes.
  3. Create a reserve list, perhaps the first and second kid in each position; like a 44 man reserve list. Reserve a kicker or punter at the risk of a second team player.

I am sure there are more options, just thinking out loud. But ncaa is either going to have to do 1 (which will damage the game) or 2/3.

Be surprised if this is addressed before a verdict is handed down in Alston, but given the way the NCAA moves that would have been the case anyway.

Be surprised if this is addressed before a verdict is handed down in Alston, but given the way the NCAA moves that would have been the case anyway.
good point and very possible.

Ninety percent of the kids declaring are going to be grad transfers, so I wouldn’t expect any of them back. It’s the undergrads who declared that we may be able to keep, and so far we’re one for one.

These kids go through high school thinking that they are the best- and they are- the best in their high school, maybe the best in their high school league. Many of them will be the best player their HS coaches have ever had, and they think that's just how it's going to be.

Then they get to their dream- a Power 5 school- but now they are surrounded by kids who are as good or better than they are, kids who work as hard or harder than they do.

It's a shock to some of them, it's not surprising that they feel a need to see what else may be out there for them- probably it's going to be the same, but they don't know that.

I’m actually starting to get sick of college football. Shit is nonsense anymore.

College football has a lot of problems, and this just adds to the list. There is absolutely no way Fields should get to play right away.

I'll take the NFL any day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT