ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Maybe I should have elaborated a bit as I see my post has frustrated you a bit. I understand your point and it's a valid one. At some point though we need to start winning some of these battles for the elite recruits (much more than the ones we have won) or what good does it do to get them on campus? Just to say they visited? I mean we got a visit from Fields(and then he decommited), we got a visit from Fleming (seems like a thousand of them), we got visit from Bresee, we got a visit from Swift, etc. My point is at some point we need our share of these elite recruits(especially QB's) to make commitments is what really matters. Otherwise we're like the sky diver whose chute almost opened.
38th post ----- liked by the anti-PSU douches on this site ------ you're a real fan?????? Whose bus do you actually drive? Or do you just ride it? And is it a short one?

I guess I should apologize for being different. I could care less who they are playing....even if I wasn't going.....like I said before I have 13 or 14 days a year that each and every one of them is like XMas to us. Doesn't matter if it is Idaho or Ohio State.
No, not at all. You are completely entitled to your opinion. We all hope you enjoy the game. However, that doesn't mean anyone else's opinion is right or wrong. It simply isn't anything to get upset about.

I'd like to define "Memphis is an excellent team." My question is "for what?" They've had a fine 2019 for their program. I don't believe they've played a single team who was ranked higher than them. They lost to Temple. My point is that a win over memphis doesn't elevate our program. Indeed it is expected. Memphis is ranked #17. A NYD6 games leads one to believe that they are going to play within a group of teams ranked 5 ~ 10. That means Georgia, Oregon, Baylor, Wisconsin, Florida and PSU. Not only are we NOT playing one of those premium teams, we are also not playing 11 - 16; Utah, Auburn, Alabama, Michigan, ND, or Iowa.

Of the other NYD6 teams, we are playing (by far and away) the worst team possible.

Nope, not the worst team possible by a long shot. 4-loss Virginia in the Orange Bowl would be worse.

As it is, Memphis played the teams on their schedule and won all but one. They're good. They're probably better than 3-loss Wisconsin (which lost to Illinois). In fact, they may be as good or better than various teams ranked ahead of them -- many of which lost two games, some to mediocre opponents.

In fact, that's what makes the game so tricky and challenging for us: the perception that Memphis, an excellent team, is punching up while we're punching down. This potentially gives them an emotional edge.

Therefore, with the matchups now determined, there is no purpose served by continued caterwauling about the Cotton Bowl. Instead, the team's only objective and focus must be -- and I hope is -- the W.

I would suggest that our fans take the same perspective.

I'd like to define "Memphis is an excellent team." My question is "for what?" They've had a fine 2019 for their program. I don't believe they've played a single team who was ranked higher than them. They lost to Temple. My point is that a win over memphis doesn't elevate our program. Indeed it is expected. Memphis is ranked #17. A NYD6 games leads one to believe that they are going to play within a group of teams ranked 5 ~ 10. That means Georgia, Oregon, Baylor, Wisconsin, Florida and PSU. Not only are we NOT playing one of those premium teams, we are also not playing 11 - 16; Utah, Auburn, Alabama, Michigan, ND, or Iowa.

Of the other NYD6 teams, we are playing (by far and away) the worst team possible.

OK. Let's say all that is true. SO F*CKING WHAT? It's done now. There is nothing any of us can do about it. You're like a nagging wife, ffs. On and on.

Nope, not the worst team possible by a long shot. 4-loss Virginia in the Orange Bowl would be worse.

As it is, Memphis played the teams on their schedule and won all but one. They're good. They're probably better than 3-loss Wisconsin (which lost to Illinois). In fact, they may be as good or better than various teams ranked ahead of them -- many of which lost two games, some to mediocre opponents.

In fact, that's what makes the game so tricky and challenging for us: the perception that Memphis, an excellent team, is punching up while we're punching down. This potentially gives them an emotional edge.

Therefore, with the matchups now determined, there is no purpose served by continued caterwauling about the Cotton Bowl. Instead, the team's only objective and focus must be -- and I hope is -- the W.

Please refrain from common sense posts. Caterwauling U is who we are.......at least on this site.

Reactions: Jerry
I am kind of sad on this....I always thought the people made Penn State, not the team. All of a sudden we have 3 or 4 good years and everyone seems "to good" to play Memphis. Arizona, Florida State, Wiscy, Auburn, and LSU have all had their NY6 bowls against G5 Teams since 2014.
Many of us thought that way. But this is all about the fanboys.

Mac, you've made the same point over...and over.

Listen, we know the Big-10 sucks in terms of the treatment Penn State has gotten.

But it is what it is, and none of it will be better if we lose to Memphis.

Memphis is an excellent team. The Cotton Bowl is a select game in the system we have. Winning it is very important. An 11-win year would be fantastic. A top-10 final ranking would be great.

All this seems clear and beyond dispute.

And I and those who agree with me have heard your view repeated over and over too.
$13.25 for seat for a “NY6”game says it all from that perspective. That seems equally clear to us.

Where we differ is that your side seems accepting of the screwing we get from the Big10. My viewpoint’s side would like to determine a path to do something about it.

Last edited:

Shame we can’t fast forward a couple of years (max) and all of those pontificating on this Memphis football juggernaut (no one has ever heard of - even there own fans to the tune of 30,000 per home game). They will be asking: Memphis? Do they have a football program? They will be lucky to still be D-1. Better than Wisconsin? They might not even be better than Purdue.

OK. Let's say all that is true. SO F*CKING WHAT? It's done now. There is nothing any of us can do about it. You're like a nagging wife, ffs. On and on.

Judge Smails in this thread:

tenor.gif

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

the record is what the record is...by your account, there would be no value in having a board to post opinions. Nice sexist comment on the nagging wife, by the way.

Reactions: MacNit07

yes, they are a good team, as I pointed out. well, if they had a HC. But they are NOT a good team in terms of brand lift and marketing. there are several non-NYD6 bowls that are far more intriguing.

Reactions: MacNit07
Memphis plays absolutely no one. Top 6 or 7 team in Big10 is by definition “middling.” If Memphis played in the Big10, they would be a 7-5 team - give or take a game. As for ACC, Temple beat them and I am guessing that a few ACC teams could beat Temple. In addition to Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and likely several other ACC teams would be favored against Memphis. So Memphis is maybe an 8-4 team this year in ACC. They are virtually an unknown commodity in an unknown conference in college football.

Compare Memphis with some of the match-ups our lesser Big10 brethren have: Oregon and Auburn both would be heavy favorites. And I shudder to think what Alabama would do to Memphis. Medical vehicles had better be parked nearby. The scoreboard might need three digits.

If it makes you feel better to make Memphis out to be a Clemson-sequel team, go for it. But any student of college football knows that their record is propped up by playing no ones. Penn State will get zero credit for beating them (that’s if we decide to mentally show up and play). Want further evidence, Cotton Bowl tickets are and will be practically given away. I think someone quoted $13.25 on some resell site. Pathetic!

And the Big10 brass will laugh their a$$ off at Penn State again while their privileged teams get real match-ups against noteworthy teams and programs. And all the while with their hands in our pocket for our Cotton Bowl payout while still sitting on our bowl money obtained under false pretenses just a few short years ago. Conference patsy - kick us again please!
Yeah, I almost compared them to Clemson...you lose again. ACC teams get to prop up their schedule with weak teams too and how many of them are ranked in the top 17? Um, 1...Clemson...so you’re wrong again. I’m done having this discussion with you...if it makes you feel better to sell our opponent short and helps your trolling, have at it. Then if we win, you can blow it off as no biggie, but if we lose, you can be in all your glory slamming the coaches. Have a nice life.

Memphis plays absolutely no one. Top 6 or 7 team in Big10 is by definition “middling.” If Memphis played in the Big10, they would be a 7-5 team - give or take a game. As for ACC, Temple beat them and I am guessing that a few ACC teams could beat Temple. In addition to Clemson, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and likely several other ACC teams would be favored against Memphis. So Memphis is maybe an 8-4 team this year in ACC. They are virtually an unknown commodity in an unknown conference in college football.

Compare Memphis with some of the match-ups our lesser Big10 brethren have: Oregon and Auburn both would be heavy favorites. And I shudder to think what Alabama would do to Memphis. Medical vehicles had better be parked nearby. The scoreboard might need three digits.

If it makes you feel better to make Memphis out to be a Clemson-sequel team, go for it. But any student of college football knows that their record is propped up by playing no ones. Penn State will get zero credit for beating them (that’s if we decide to mentally show up and play). Want further evidence, Cotton Bowl tickets are and will be practically given away. I think someone quoted $13.25 on some resell site. Pathetic!

And the Big10 brass will laugh their a$$ off at Penn State again while their privileged teams get real match-ups against noteworthy teams and programs. And all the while with their hands in our pocket for our Cotton Bowl payout while still sitting on our bowl money obtained under false pretenses just a few short years ago. Conference patsy - kick us again please!
Okay, you're absolutely right. Now please go away and let fans enjoy the game and the opponent. Thank you.

And I and those who agree with me have heard your view repeated over and over too.
$13.25 for seat for a “NY6”game says it all from that perspective. That seems equally clear to us.

Where we differ is that your side seems accepting of the screwing we get from the Big10. My viewpoint’s side would like to determine a path to do something about it.
Why don't you go to a Board of Trust meeting?

38th post ----- liked by the anti-PSU douches on this site ------ you're a real fan?????? Whose bus do you actually drive? Or do you just ride it? And is it a short one?

Who are you and why are you here? What is the relevance of your post other than exhibiting your incredible shallowness and amazing uncouthness??????? <<(notice the extra question marks, lol) You have the temerity to question my fandom? You're actually trying to intimidate me? LOL Don't bother answering those questions, I couldn't care less about you or your opinion on anything. You're just plain weird and your post is more worthless than the feeble mind that produced it.

Yeah, I almost compared them to Clemson...you lose again. ACC teams get to prop up their schedule with weak teams too and how many of them are ranked in the top 17? Um, 1...Clemson...so you’re wrong again. I’m done having this discussion with you...if it makes you feel better to sell our opponent short and helps your trolling, have at it. Then if we win, you can blow it off as no biggie, but if we lose, you can be in all your glory slamming the coaches. Have a nice life. You too AWS. I will not be criticizing the coaches, only the Administrators. If only we can declare ourselves the winners like you seem to be capable, we could be in great shape against any opponent. Memphis is a team with zero history, zero fan following, and zero buzz/credibility. The ACC is filled with programs that have plenty of at least some of each. They play no one...ever...and have zero wins if note...in their entire history. Do the programs of Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Boston College, Syracuse, North Carolina, ring a bell. Any of these teams and others have more of a history, etc. in ONE YEAR, than Memphis does in the entire history of their program. Not that I wish it were so, it is simply and demonstrably the facts. I am sorry that this bothers you so...cheers.

Yeah, those teams have more history in any year, just not this year. Yay, let’s play a 6-6 Boston College team or a 7-5 Pitt team instead of a 12-1 Memphis team because their history is better....brilliant.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Yeah, those teams have more history in any year, just not this year. Yay, let’s play a 6-6 Boston College team or a 7-5 Pitt team instead of a 12-1 Memphis team because their history is better....brilliant.
How about Bama?

How about Auburn?

How about Auburn?
Sorry, Bama or Auburn didn’t have a good enough year to make a NY6 bowl. Maybe LSU should have passed on playing Oklahoma in the CFP to play against Bama in the Citrus Bowl because Bama is better. Or Oregon should have passed on the Rose Bowl to play in the Outback Bowl because Auburn is better than Wisconsin.

Sorry, Bama or Auburn didn’t have a good enough year to make a NY6 bowl. Maybe LSU should have passed on playing Oklahoma in the CFP to play against Bama in the Citrus Bowl because Bama is better. Or Oregon should have passed on the Rose Bowl to play in the Outback Bowl because Auburn is better than Wisconsin.
Neither did Memphis.

Neither did Memphis.
So it's been a week now. I come on this thread to get some news on the game. I would've preferred the Rose Bowl, but I'm in the acceptance phase. But all that's on this thread is you trying to win an argument (or more precisely 30 arguments), against 30 different people who disagree with you. How about letting it go? Give it a rest? Please.

Reactions: kb851
Some of our guys doing double duty in Penn Live comment area. Multi tasking. Well done.

Apparently they did since they’re in it.
Not earned. But as government gift. They make about as much sense as thinking Memphis > Alabama. Just keep on telling yourself that. The market has spoken: Cotton Bowl tickets for $13.25.

So it's been a week now. I come on this thread to get some news on the game. I would've preferred the Rose Bowl, but I'm in the acceptance phase. But all that's on this thread is you trying to win an argument (or more precisely 30 arguments), against 30 different people who disagree with you. How about letting it go? Give it a rest? Please.
I am not the only one...I did not join the fray until page 8. You might want to find it start a new thread. What kind of news are you seeking?

I would love to see us swap places with Michigan.

Not earned. But as government gift. They make about as much sense as thinking Memphis > Alabama. Just keep on telling yourself that. The market has spoken: Cotton Bowl tickets for $13.25.
How long are you going to continue to whine about this? There’s nothing that can be done now so you might as well support the team....but I suppose bitching non stop is more your style.

How long are you going to continue to whine about this? There’s nothing that can be done now so you might as well support the team....but I suppose bitching non stop is more your style.

You know he’s hoping Penn State shits the bed against Memphis. He’s also hoping for a lot of empty seats.

You know he’s hoping Penn State shits the bed against Memphis. He’s also hoping for a lot of empty seats.
No doubt, then he can trash PSU for losing to a lousy team like he does for last year’s bowl game.

No doubt, then he can trash PSU for losing to a lousy team like he does for last year’s bowl game.

And spin it that Penn State would have been up for the Rose Bowl and would have given a better effort (in front of a full house).

Yeah, that’s smart....take a lesser bowl...makes sense. Again, maybe Oregon should opt out of the Rose Bowl to go to the Citrus Bowl.
If you get a better game, why not? The conference divides the payouts equally.

When am I going to stop? Pot meet kettle...

Why would I trash the team? If we lose to Memphis, the results will speak for themself and it will be a set back for the program. If we win? You will hear a collective yawn...

Reactions: JJTopp99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT