ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
MacNit07, what your posts have accomplished? Think about it if you want to become better communicator. Game is set, Penn State is delighted to play as per Micah and CJF. They represent Penn State. Respectfully, you do not and should not represent Penn State. You are a loyal fan as per your claims but you should not disparage any opponent. This is a common practice. The game is not won yet. Remember, we did not play well against Minny and we were short handed against Rutgers.

What’s with this magic 11 win number that is supposed to make all the difference?

11 teams in the FBS already have 11 or more wins.

no recruit will make his decision over the result of a meaningless exhibition game. If they did we would not be recruiting so well given our 2-3 record the past three years since winning the B1G.

Now get in the playoff and you have something to use on the recruiting trail.

Because consistently finishing in the top ten helps with recruiting top ten classes.

11 wins secures your spot most years, which makes it a magic number.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I always feel better after visiting the Lair. If u think the Cotton Bowl is a disappointment, go take a look at what the Spitters are saying about their upcoming visit to, cough, cough Deetroit. They say the local pizza is something to write home about though, lol.

"Its the worst bowl Pitt has ever been to (largely because the team they are playing is so bad), so why even try to hype it up? Go there and (try to) beat the last-place team in the MAC West..." -SMF :D

The only thing that matters is they commit? Right?

iu

Reactions: psuaxe70
What’s with this magic 11 win number that is supposed to make all the difference?

11 teams in the FBS already have 11 or more wins.

no recruit will make his decision over the result of a meaningless exhibition game. If they did we would not be recruiting so well given our 2-3 record the past three years since winning the B1G.

Now get in the playoff and you have something to use on the recruiting trail.

Pitt hasn't won 11 games since 1981. Harbaugh has never won 11 games since he's been at Michigan. It's not all or nothing.

Pitt recruits at the level they do because they don't have 11 win seasons, ever.

Pitt hasn't won 11 games since 1981. Harbaugh has never won 11 games since he's been at Michigan. It's not all or nothing.

Pitt recruits at the level they do because they don't have 11 win seasons, ever.

Ancillary but as important is what teams are shown when the broadcast includes a list of teams who have won 'x' amount of games in recent history - it's a good look for PSU to be on any list with Bama, Clemson, OSU, Oklahoma, etc.....

giphy.gif

MacNit07, what your posts have accomplished? Think about it if you want to become better communicator. Game is set, Penn State is delighted to play as per Micah and CJF. They represent Penn State. Respectfully, you do not and should not represent Penn State. You are a loyal fan as per your claims but you should not disparage any opponent. This is a common practice. The game is not won yet. Remember, we did not play well against Minny and we were short handed against Rutgers.

I eventually just had to ignore the numbnuts that is MacNit07. I really try not to do that, however his frequent posts of the same thing over and over again cluttering up threads became too much. I don't want to read his nonsense.

Maybe I should have elaborated a bit as I see my post has frustrated you a bit. I understand your point and it's a valid one. At some point though we need to start winning some of these battles for the elite recruits (much more than the ones we have won) or what good does it do to get them on campus? Just to say they visited? I mean we got a visit from Fields(and then he decommited), we got a visit from Fleming (seems like a thousand of them), we got visit from Bresee, we got a visit from Swift, etc. My point is at some point we need our share of these elite recruits(especially QB's) to make commitments is what really matters. Otherwise we're like the sky diver whose chute almost opened.

Reactions: Doc-M and MacNit07
Hi Doc. Please refrain from the condescending “how to communicate” messaging. The point of my original post on the subject of the Cotton Bowl match-up with Memphis was simply that it was poor and that Penn State, once again, got the shaft from the Big10. I have pointed out supporting evidence - including displeasure by many of our players and fans. My responses were simply part of message board discourse with those who disagreed with me. I make no assumption about the results of the game. In fact, I expect an effort similar to last year because of lack of motivation. And I have no reason to disrespect Memphis. But certainly Memphis has done nothing to deserve a bowl match-up with Penn State. Ultimately, my goal is that Penn State fans express displeasure with the constant shafting by the Big10. Only when those of us who pay the freight make their opinions known, will changes be made. It is a small start with little likelihood of immediate success. But after enough people complained (including Joe), replay was instituted which has helped cut down (but far from eliminated) the referining that we are subject to each year.

Reactions: MtNittany
Maybe I should have elaborated a bit as I see my post has frustrated you a bit. I understand your point and it's a valid one. At some point though we need to start winning some of these battles for the elite recruits (much more than the ones we have won) or what good does it do to get them on campus? Just to say they visited? I mean we got a visit from Fields(and then he decommited), we got a visit from Fleming (seems like a thousand of them), we got visit from Bresee, we got a visit from Swift, etc. My point is at some point we need our share of these elite recruits(especially QB's) to make commitments is what really matters. Otherwise we're like the sky diver whose chute almost opened.
Horse shoes and hand grenades

I always feel better after visiting the Lair. If u think the Cotton Bowl is a disappointment, go take a look at what the Spitters are saying about their upcoming visit to, cough, cough Deetroit. They say the local pizza is something to write home about though, lol.

"Its the worst bowl Pitt has ever been to (largely because the team they are playing is so bad), so why even try to hype it up? Go there and (try to) beat the last-place team in the MAC West..." -SMF :D
Ain’t it The truth!

Reactions: JJTopp99

247 had us with the #3 class last year.

Reactions: psuaxe70
Reactions: 81b&w and psuaxe70
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...y-under-discussion/ar-AAK21Cf?ocid=spartandhp
8-Team College Football Playoff Model Reportedly Under Discussion

….According to a new report, the eight-team playoff would include five automatic bids for the winners of conference championship games, two at-large bids, and one bid for the best Group of 5 team. It remains unknown if this model will at some point materialize into a tangible proposal that will be voted on, but it's encouraging something is at least being discussed.

If that format were in place this year, then LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Oregon would get automatic bids. Memphis would get in via the Group of 5 bid, while Georgia and Baylor would be the at-larges. This leaves Alabama, Penn State, Auburn, and Florida on the outside looking in.

While that sounds great, there's still going to be controversy considering what we can already see from this hypothetical situation....

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
LAST YEAR, I said. Reading is fundamental.

https://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Football/TeamRankings/

This is 2020 now.
So is comprehension.
Recruiting Class Rankings
FootballBasketball
# Name Points
1 LSU 2961
2 Clemson 2932
3 Alabama 2870
4 Ohio State 2834
5 Texas A&M 2379
6 Florida 2276
7 Michigan 2200
8 Auburn 2184
9 Miami (FL) 2168
10 Oklahoma 213

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...y-under-discussion/ar-AAK21Cf?ocid=spartandhp

….According to a new report, the eight-team playoff would include five automatic bids for the winners of conference championship games, two at-large bids, and one bid for the best Group of 5 team. It remains unknown if this model will at some point materialize into a tangible proposal that will be voted on, but it's encouraging something is at least being discussed.

If that format were in place this year, then LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, and Oregon would get automatic bids. Memphis would get in via the Group of 5 bid, while Georgia and Baylor would be the at-larges. This leaves Alabama, Penn State, Auburn, and Florida on the outside looking in.

While that sounds great, there's still going to be controversy considering what we can already see from this hypothetical situation....

I’m good with that. We’re on the outside looking in anyway this year. What it also means is that in 2016, we would have been ‘in’ instead of out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have simply said, read the players social media and you will have all the evidence you need.
From what I’ve seen it’s all positive. Still waiting for you to link all these negative tweets from players. Just saying it doesn’t make it true.

Reactions: Judge Smails
From what I’ve seen it’s all positive. Still waiting for you to link all these negative tweets from players. Just saying it doesn’t make it true.
Cool...I have read them and many others here have commented...I have already said, I am not linking and cutting and pasting for you. I hope you are right and at least some of the team is feeling motivated or that CJF can do that job. Failed miserably at it last year and my expectation is that this year will be worse. Will expect that Memphis team will be highly motivated. Again, as would be expected. Hard to hope to play Clemson or Alabama as a reward for a great season and then have you administrators stick you with a rematch with Buffalo.

Cool...I have read them and many others here have commented...I have already said, I am not linking and cutting and pasting for you. I hope you are right and at least some of the team is feeling motivated or that CJF can do that job. Failed miserably at it last year and my expectation is that this year will be worse. Will expect that Memphis team will be highly motivated. Again, as would be expected. Hard to hope to play Clemson or Alabama as a reward for a great season and then have you administrators stick you with a rematch with Buffalo.
Buffalo? Come on dude, even you know better than that. And again, just saying something doesn’t make it true. You saying that PSU was not motivated in last year’s bowl game doesn’t make it true. Could be UK was just better on that day....they had a good football team last year, at least equal to ours and when two equal teams play anyone can win...it doesn’t just mean that PSU wasn’t motivated.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
So it’s been all of one recruiting class that we aren’t Top 5 or Top 10? What a tragedy.

You're deflecting from my original point (shocker!) that the main thing with elite recruits is not the visits but the commitments. Some have forward vision others stare in the rear view mirror.

Buffalo? Come on dude, even you know better than that. And again, just saying something doesn’t make it true. You saying that PSU was not motivated in last year’s bowl game doesn’t make it true. Could be UK was just better on that day....they had a good football team last year, at least equal to ours and when two equal teams play anyone can win...it doesn’t just mean that PSU wasn’t motivated.
Are you saying that Memphis is a team/program that if it were on PSU’s home schedule would generate a buzz? Or a yawn? Or a blech? As for Buffalo, I think if you compare the two programs over the past 3-5 years Buffalo is superior. I know some of us want to be rah-rah - what a great match-up we have as a reward for an excellent season. But it is laughable by any reasonable standard. Memphis as a program is not and will never be anywhere near Penn State or any other team that aspires be elite. That is too bad for Penn State as this makes two years in a row. This year is worse as at least Kentucky was a middling SEC team. And PSU has a darn good 10-2 campaign - deserving of the Rose Bowl bid and a play (call) or 2 away from the CFP. So good for Memphis but bad for Penn State. And we all know that if we swapped out Memphis for Buffalo on our home schedule this year tickets could be had for $5 in the parking lot. But yet we are being sold a bill of goods as a prime “NY6 Bowl.” Pretty disappointing for the kids and the program. But will likely continue until our university starts to stand up to the Big10.

Are you saying that Memphis is a team/program that if it were on PSU’s home schedule would generate a buzz? Or a yawn? Or a blech? As for Buffalo, I think if you compare the two programs over the past 3-5 years Buffalo is superior. I know some of us want to be rah-rah - what a great match-up we have as a reward for an excellent season. But it is laughable by any reasonable standard. Memphis as a program is not and will never be anywhere near Penn State or any other team that aspires be elite. That is too bad for Penn State as this makes two years in a row. This year is worse as at least Kentucky was a middling SEC team. And PSU has a darn good 10-2 campaign - deserving of the Rose Bowl bid and a play (call) or 2 away from the CFP. So good for Memphis but bad for Penn State. And we all know that if we swapped out Memphis for Buffalo on our home schedule this year tickets could be had for $5 in the parking lot. But yet we are being sold a bill of goods as a prime “NY6 Bowl.” Pretty disappointing for the kids and the program. But will likely continue until our university starts to stand up to the Big10.
I don’t think you believe half of what you post. You know we’re playing this year’s Memphis team right? A team that’s ranked 17th and should be 16th ahead of Iowa. A team that’s better than any team in the ACC not named Clemson. This is a top 20 team (not a top 20 program, but who cares)? And if they were on our schedule they would certainly generate more of a buzz than Buffalo. Buffalo has one 10 win season in the last six years and a total of 35 wins whereas Memphis has three 10 win seasons and 57 wins in a better conference. If you can’t see a difference between the two teams especially over the past five or six years then you’re too stupid to be posting on a message board.

You're deflecting from my original point (shocker!) that the main thing with elite recruits is not the visits but the commitments. Some have forward vision others stare in the rear view mirror.
This is 2020 now.

At some point though we need to start winning some of these battles for the elite recruits (much more than the ones we have won) or what good does it do to get them on campus? Just to say they visited? I mean we got a visit from Fields(and then he decommited), we got a visit from Fleming (seems like a thousand of them), we got visit from Bresee, we got a visit from Swift, etc. My point is at some point we need our share of these elite recruits(especially QB's) to make commitments is what really matters.

You can't use the "this is 2020 now" and "some have forward vision" lines when two of your 4 examples of recruits we got visits from and no commitment are Fields and Swift. LOL

I'm not sure why you're attacking this straw man argument that people here are happy with visits from elite recruits in lieu of getting their actual commitment. No one is saying that. But if we don't get them on campus to visit we sure as $hit aren't going to get them to enroll. So being happy a bunch of elite prospects were just on campus makes sense to celebrate. But go ahead and keep dying on that hill that we need them to actually commit. Not sure who is saying otherwise.

It would be great if the playoff was increased to 8 or 16 teams. Let a team win it on the field with the least broadcaster/ ESPN influence as possible.

That said, I hate the automatic berth for group of 5 teams. This year it would have been the top 7 teams and then #17 making that playoff, while skipping teams #8-16.

You can't use the "this is 2020 now" and "some have forward vision" lines when two of your 4 examples of recruits we got visits from and no commitment are Fields and Swift. LOL

I'm not sure why you're attacking this straw man argument that people here are happy with visits from elite recruits in lieu of getting their actual commitment. No one is saying that. But if we don't get them on campus to visit we sure as $hit aren't going to get them to enroll. So being happy a bunch of elite prospects were just on campus makes sense to celebrate. But go ahead and keep dying on that hill that we need them to actually commit. Not sure who is saying otherwise.

Exactly.

And the 247 only 2020 rankings has us at #6 overall. Composite that includes ESPN (complete garbage) and Rivals (penalized if you don't do Rivals camps, heavy bias) isn't as valuable imo.

https://www.scout.com/Season/2020-Football/TeamRankings/

what if they took 12 strictly off the CFP Rankings. 1-11 and then a Group of 5 gets the 12th spot (Sorry Auburn). Top 4 get a bye. 5-12 play round 1 and then reseed.

please ignore my psu bias:)

Round 1
Georgia vs Memphis
Utah vs Oregon
Penn State vs Baylor
Florida vs Wisconsin

Round 2 (with my PSU bias:)

Penn State vs LSU
Ohio State vs Wiscy
Clemson vs Oregon
Oklahoma vs Georgia

Final 4

Penn State vs Oklahoma
Ohio State vs Clemson

Championship

Penn State vs Ohio State rematch

Actually we did get a commitment from Fields and he left because our OC left.

I understand that visits are important but commitments are moreso. Saying we don't need them (elite recruits) to actually commit is ludicrous. This is not an either or argument. We can do both, get visits AND commitments from more elite recruits. If we pull Yurichi from from OSU maybe just maybe Fleming follows. If we get Brady or another top OC maybe Williams for '21 commits. I'm NOT saying hire coaches for single recruits but if Franklin makes better positive choices (changes) he enhances his ability to attain the elite status he desires.Right now is a great time for those changes to happen along with bringing elite recruits on campus.

Actually I agree with you and the other poster that we can't get commitments without visits and also that our most recent classes for the most part have been very good. But there is room for improvement and that is not going to happen with just visits alone. Look at Alabama and Clemson, they both added another 5 star QB this year. That's where I want PSU to be too. With Franklin's new contract, the extra money and hopefully facility upgrades things are looking quite rosy for that to occur. This is what I meant with forward vision, the past few years have been great but we need to move on and get better to be among the elite.

I'm not here to trade barbs and insults with pseudo alpha posters but just to express my opinion on how to make PSU THE top program and also to discover insights pertaining to recruits and the program in general. I will defend my positions but not to the degree that some go to i.e. cursing, name calling, insults, non sequiturs, etc. For that there appears to be more than adequate supply of such macho posters here. That's why I haven't become a paying member, I don't need to pay to be subjected to such outlandish treatment. Perhaps when this behavior is brought under control I'll reconsider. I don't mind when I'm wrong having it pointed out, just hold the condescension and insults.

what if they took 12 strictly off the CFP Rankings. 1-11 and then a Group of 5 gets the 12th spot (Sorry Auburn). Top 4 get a bye. 5-12 play round 1 and then reseed.

please ignore my psu bias:)

Round 1
Georgia vs Memphis
Utah vs Oregon
Penn State vs Baylor
Florida vs Wisconsin

Round 2 (with my PSU bias:)

Penn State vs LSU
Ohio State vs Wiscy
Clemson vs Oregon
Oklahoma vs Georgia

Final 4

Penn State vs Oklahoma
Ohio State vs Clemson

Championship

Penn State vs Ohio State rematch
"what if they took 12 strictly off the CFP Rankings. 1-11 and then a Group of 5 gets the 12th spot (Sorry Auburn). Top 4 get a bye"

No - No - Never.

You think that would be "fair" to subjectively pick 4 teams to get a bye/rest while the others have to prepare for and play an extra game against a quality opponent????? You can be sure 3 of the 4 bye teams would probably be from the SEC.

There is only one reasonable solution - 5 conference champs, 2 at large, 1 G5. Done.

you don't think the 2 at large would be subject to the same SEC bias?

Right now the top 12 are:

SEC-3
BIG-3
PAC-2
B12-2
ACC-1
G5-1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT