ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
It's amazing that you think fans have any actual say in the program or what bowl game the program is invited to. It's like you don't understand anything about how the selections are made. It's no wonder you feel so entitled. Penn State wasn't screwed over. You're delusional and your temper tantrum over Penn State being invited to the Cotton Bowl is amazing. Wisconsin met the criteria to be chosen for the Rose Bowl. I also love that you think Kentucky is beneath PSU but beat PSU last year. The mental gymnastics you have to do to believe that is crazy.

Since the west division was created, Wisconsin is 0-4 in BIG conf champ games, because they haven't been the best, 2nd best or even the 3rd best team in the conference. Because they "earned' their way into another BIG conf champ game, they "earned" the Rose bowl. The BIG west division is the best thing that ever happened to Wisconsin.

Since the west division was created, Wisconsin is 0-4 in BIG conf champ games, because they haven't been the best, 2nd best or even the 3rd best team in the conference. Because they "earned' their way into another BIG conf champ game, they "earned" the Rose bowl. The BIG west division is the best thing that ever happened to Wisconsin.
Wisconsin sucks. They have a passing game of a high school team.

Parsons might be the exception. Or he may be ordered to be PC. In either case, I’d be shocked if the team did not come out totally flat. Who would blame them? We already beat Buffalo this year! Shame that Parsons does not have an AD that can secure a match-up worthy of a Top 10,
Blue Blood program. This simple fact alone should be grounds for dismissal for Sandy! Incompetent! Read their social media accounts - they know we have been taken by the Big10...yet again!
So what are the others besides Parsons saying? I haven’t read or heard anything from the players that is negative about this bowl.

Good god 07 is a dolt.
Read the stuff for yourself...I am not going to read or cut and paste for you...or are you afraid to confirm that everyone is not doing back handsprings for the big game against Memphis. Who will next year’s bowl game be against? Peter’s Township?

Wisconsin sucks. They have a passing game of a high school team.

Wisconsin sucks.

Memphis sucks.

Kentucky sucked last year.

Everyone sucks but PSU but you’re the only enlightened person smart enough to see it. What’s it like living in a world where everyone else is an idiot and you’re a genius?

Reactions: 81b&w
Wisconsin sucks.

Memphis sucks.

Kentucky sucked last year.

Everyone sucks but PSU but you’re the only enlightened person smart enough to see it. What’s it like living in a world where everyone else is an idiot and you’re a genius?
Regale me with the lore of Kentucky and Memphis football. And Wisconsin’s pass offense is absolutely pathetic. Overall, Penn State is and has been a better program. And, while a bit of hyperbole, compared to the top programs - Wisconsin, well, sucks.

Regale me with the lore of Kentucky and Memphis football. And Wisconsin’s pass offense is absolutely pathetic. Overall, Penn State is and has been a better program. And, while a bit of hyperbole, compared to the top programs - Wisconsin, well, sucks.

You suck

Reactions: 81b&w
Cotton Bowl tickets on StubHub are $13.20

The lowest Rose Bowl ticket on StubHub is $139.

Rah rah rah all you want. Painfully obvious what the public and market think of this match up. You can put lipstick on a pig all you want.......

Reactions: 83wuzme

Rah rah rah all you want. Painfully obvious what the public and market think of this match up. You can put lipstick on a pig all you want.......

Two Minutes Hate is over. Time to bootstrap up and do the damn thing. Team appears to be in good spirits, Franklin is on a roll, and winning is the best remedy. We have to play the game - might as well look good and have fun doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Memphis Nation will flock from the 4 corners of the USA and the prices will zoom through the roof! The buzz is building! Only 11 dollars away from ticket prices for Pitt games at Heinz field!

Reactions: bono47
There does seem to be some demand--I logged into the Alumni sale just to see what tickets were going for--and I'm still waiting to get in.

You just don’t get it. You tell us that Kentucky sucks and that’s why we shouldn’t have to play them because we’re above their level. Kentucky beats us and you claim that Kentucky sucks and we shouldn’t have to play them.

Either Kentucky sucked last year and we sucked worse or we were good and Kentucky was better. In both of these scenarios we were not above playing Kentucky. The problem is with your anti-logic Kentucky sucked, beat us on the field but they still aren’t worthy of playing us. In what world was a team that beat another team not a worthy opponent? Well, in your warped world of anti-logic.

And now you’re making the same mistake again this year by claiming this Memphis team isn’t worthy enough to play Penn State. A reasonable person would look at last year as an example and say, “maybe I should reserve my judgement of this Memphis team until we actually beat them.”

You just don’t get it. You tell us that Kentucky sucks and that’s why we shouldn’t have to play them because we’re above their level. Kentucky beats us and you claim that Kentucky sucks and we shouldn’t have to play them.

Either Kentucky sucked last year and we sucked worse or we were good and Kentucky was better. In both of these scenarios we were not above playing Kentucky. The problem is with your anti-logic Kentucky sucked, beat us on the field but they still aren’t worthy of playing us. In what world was a team that beat another team not a worthy opponent? Well, in your warped world of anti-logic.

And now you’re making the same mistake again this year by claiming this Memphis team isn’t worthy enough to play Penn State. A reasonable person would look at last year as an example and say, “maybe I should reserve my judgement of this Memphis team until we actually beat them.”
No, we were not motivated to beat Kentucky and thus mailed it in and lost. Look at the records over time. Memphis is worse than Kentucky as a football program (~ Temple). But we may be headed for the same fate. Temple beat us once, but that does not mean they have a better program. Just like Purdue beat Ohio State like drum last year. Get it? We are being served a terrible matchup courtesy of our friends at the Big10. While the Conference darlings get the prime matchups. Just typical Big10 BS.

And no need to reserve judgement, Memphis may very well beat us...still does not mean they have a better program. If they did, why would their coach go to FSU? He could have stayed at the Clemson of Tennessee?

No, we were not motivated to beat Kentucky and thus mailed it in and lost. Look at the records over time. Memphis is worse than Kentucky as a football program (~ Temple). But we may be headed for the same fate. Temple beat us once, but that does not mean they have a better program. Just like Purdue beat Ohio State like drum last year. Get it? We are being served a terrible matchup courtesy of our friends at the Big10. While the Conference darlings get the prime matchups. Just typical Big10 BS.
You do realize that programs do have really good years even if they aren’t traditionally a power house? Kentucky last year had their best team probably ever....when you play a program’s best team ever, they’re going to be pretty good. It’s not like we were playing some 6-6 Kentucky team in an average year. You act like this year we’re playing 6-6 Akron...this Memphis team is a strong team (I’m not saying strong program, I’m saying strong team) and they earned their spot regardless of your thoughts.

Reactions: kb851 and 81b&w
And no need to reserve judgement, Memphis may very well beat us...still does not mean they have a better program. If they did, why would their coach go to FSU? He could have stayed at the Clemson of Tennessee?

Who said they have a better program? Bowl games are not chosen based on the program as a whole past and present. Bowl games are chosen based on current teams/rankings for that year alone. The Cotton Bowl is required to take the highest ranked G5 conference winner. The Cotton Bowl (not the B1G) then chooses an opponent for that team. Nobody was screwed here. This is how the system is designed.

Two Minutes Hate is over. Time to bootstrap up and do the damn thing. Team appears to be in good spirits, Franklin is on a roll, and winning is the best remedy. We have to play the game - might as well look good doing it.

Exactly right. In fact, the Two Minutes turned into Two Days. But it doesn't change anything.

Yes, the B1G sucks, and I hate it. But we're not leaving. Period.

Yes, the Rose (which we deserved) would have been better than the Cotton. But in the flawed system we have, the Cotton is a select bowl, which is why media accounts routinely include the line this will be Penn State's third NY6 bowl game in four years -- that fact being a significant indicator of the success of the program under Franklin.

Yes, the match-up against Memphis is not glamorous. But Memphis is a damn good team this year and beating them would be much better than losing to them...and will ensure a final ranking in the top-10 to boot.

Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the game.

We are being served a terrible matchup courtesy of our friends at the Big10. While the Conference darlings get the prime matchups. Just typical Big10 BS.

Repeat after me... "It's all about $$$."

If PSU goes to the Rose there is NO WAY Wiscy gets a NY6 bowl. Wiscy goes to the Rose and we get a NY6 bowl, hence 3 B1G teams in playoffs or NY6 rather than 2. Better bowls = more money.

It's really as simple as that.

when do the conspiracy theories stop? I said a month ago the cotton looked like a real possibility. This was not some crazy thing against PSU, it is just where things happened to fall.

It is a NY6 Bowl, who cares the rest of it.....the people here that would rather go to the Outback Bowl are out to lunch and probably selfish on wanting to go to the beach.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
You do realize that programs do have really good years even if they aren’t traditionally a power house? Kentucky last year had their best team probably ever....when you play a program’s best team ever, they’re going to be pretty good. It’s not like we were playing some 6-6 Kentucky team in an average year. You act like this year we’re playing 6-6 Akron...this Memphis team is a strong team (I’m not saying strong program, I’m saying strong team) and they earned their spot regardless of your thoughts.
Absolutely having a decent year. But have played no one with a pulse unless you count Cincinnati (which I don’t). Would rather play a more talented, traditional power. And I bet the kids will feel the same way. Most teams do - so it’s no knock against our Team or coaches. It is up to our Administrators to get better match-ups. Especially when Penn State had EARNED it (much more than anything Memphis has done or Michigan or Iowa or even Wisconsin).

These stories I have seen on the web that are ranking the quality of the bowl matchups have the Cotton Bowl ranked as the 6/7 best matchup.

I don't understand all the whining.

Ask mom to throw another bag of Cheezits down the cellar steps and work that thing over for a bit.

Reactions: TangSoo
Congrats on the Cotton bowl penn state.! Me and Jorge at the plant just were talking about how 3 New Year’s Day bowls for the big ten is good for the conference. Just glad that trash at Nebraska are sucking back ole milwaukee
Storm Lake is nice, but Lake Okoboji is nicer.

These stories I have seen on the web that are ranking the quality of the bowl matchups have the Cotton Bowl ranked as the 6/7 best matchup.

Ask mom to throw another bag of Cheezits down the cellar steps and work that thing over for a bit.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TangSoo

Better find new web sources. If the Cotton Bowl is a top matchup, then I weep for College Football.

Reactions: billthebusdriver
Better find new web sources. If the Cotton Bowl is a top matchup, then I weep for College Football.

Leaving aside the playoff games, I totally believe the Cotton Bowl ranks in the top 6 or 7 of all the other bowl matchups. Probably higher. I mean, seriously, have you seen them? Awful lot of dogs there.

In fact, take a look at the other NY6 games. Florida versus a 4-loss Virginia team laughably still ranked in the top-25. Georgia versus Baylor...no disrespect to either team, but unless you bet the game, who outside the state of Georgia and town of Waco really cares. Oregon versus a 3-loss Wisconsin team that every honest observer knows shouldn't be ranked in the top-10 nor have gotten a bid to the Rose Bowl.

Whereas in the Cotton Bowl, you've got the second-best team from the toughest (top to bottom) conference in the country playing a 1-loss conference champion that arguably should be ranked in the top-10. For my money, this is the best NY6 matchup...and far from an easy win for Penn State.

We just had 4 or 5 top 50 overall 2021 recruits to PSU this past weekend, who having been raving about the experience. None of them give af that we are in the Cotton vs. the Rose.

Only thing that matters?

iu

Get victory #11 for the 3rd time in 4 years. And we are poised for a big year in 2020.

We just had 4 or 5 top 50 overall 2021 recruits to PSU this past weekend, who having been raving about the experience. None of them give af that we are in the Cotton vs. the Rose.

Only thing that matters?

iu

Get victory #11 for the 3rd time in 4 years. And we are poised for a big year in 2020.

Good post.

Small time thinkers are the ones fixated on the opponent.

Would the Rose Bowl have been better? Yes.

Was the B1G out to screw us out of the Rose Bowl? No, in fact if you want to go by what the majority of the country thinks of PSU then we are ranked 12 (coach’s poll) or 13 (AP poll), thus eliminating us from NY6 contention and putting us in the Outback Bowl.

The CFP did us a favor here. You want to know why? Because based on the football I saw in November, Penn State is not a top ten team. If we go to the Outback Bowl and lose to a favored SEC opponent then we are basically carrying the same amount of momentum into the offseason as last year.

Instead we were gifted a NY6 bowl with a beatable opponent for this squad.

We get win 11 in a NY6 bowl then Franklin is gonna sell the $h!t out of that in recruiting. He will absolutely make believers out of 5 star recruits that we are just “a player or two away.”

I swear the same people who are complaining about the bowl opponent are the same people who complain every time we schedule a G5 opponent on the OCC schedule.

The end game here is collecting talent to eventually get to the CFP. It’s a baby step process to climb the ladder.

We have an amazing opportunity to go finish in the top ten, giving Franklin 9 months of serious offseason recruiting momentum.

Only thing that matters?

iu

The only thing that matters is they commit? Right?

Well, Jerry World isn't exactly in that city.....though Dallas (or Ft Worth, as the stadium is halfway between them) is nice.

I have done that--and the adjacent Book Depository museum. Worth doing. If you like zoos, both Dallas and Ft Worth are pretty good.

...and there's a fair amount of really good looking Texas "eye candy" about in the Dallas area.

Good post.

Small time thinkers are the ones fixated on the opponent.

Would the Rose Bowl have been better? Yes.

Was the B1G out to screw us out of the Rose Bowl? No, in fact if you want to go by what the majority of the country thinks of PSU then we are ranked 12 (coach’s poll) or 13 (AP poll), thus eliminating us from NY6 contention and putting us in the Outback Bowl.

The CFP did us a favor here. You want to know why? Because based on the football I saw in November, Penn State is not a top ten team. If we go to the Outback Bowl and lose to a favored SEC opponent then we are basically carrying the same amount of momentum into the offseason as last year.

Instead we were gifted a NY6 bowl with a beatable opponent for this squad.

We get win 11 in a NY6 bowl then Franklin is gonna sell the $h!t out of that in recruiting. He will absolutely make believers out of 5 star recruits that we are just “a player or two away.”

I swear the same people who are complaining about the bowl opponent are the same people who complain every time we schedule a G5 opponent on the OCC schedule.

The end game here is collecting talent to eventually get to the CFP. It’s a baby step process to climb the ladder.

We have an amazing opportunity to go finish in the top ten, giving Franklin 9 months of serious offseason recruiting momentum.
We will find out if it matters...need them to commit not just visit...remember what happened last year?

What’s with this magic 11 win number that is supposed to make all the difference?

11 teams in the FBS already have 11 or more wins.

no recruit will make his decision over the result of a meaningless exhibition game. If they did we would not be recruiting so well given our 2-3 record the past three years since winning the B1G.

Now get in the playoff and you have something to use on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT