ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
I understand the frustration by some of the fans but at the end of the day you are playing on New Years Day in the Cotton Bowl. Great opportunity to get some valuable exposure for a few elite recruits who are on the fence and playing time for some of the younger guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
Why, Wisconsin ranked #8, and Utah #11.
The guy on the selection committee said both Utah and Penn State and were close , i believe he mentioned strength of schedule and Utah had the chance Friday but lost to Oregon. They weren't taking a 10- 3 team over Utah. Delaney was able to get NY6 bowl placement.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
Stick to the test board dude. Sounds like it’s more your cup of tea

Sadly, the people with whom I'm "discussing" this topic are acting crazier than the test board folks. Which is saying something.

Again, the only thing I did here was say that I'm not watching the game, and give my reasons why. For this, I was attacked ... yet I never attacked anyone for their views on the game.

Reactions: billthebusdriver
I understand the frustration by some of the fans but at the end of the day your playing on New Years Day in the Cotton Bowl. Great opportunity to get some valuable exposure for a few elite recruits who are on the fence and playing time for some of the younger guys.
These guys could win the lottery and they would bitch that its snowing and they must hire someone to clear their driveway.

I understand the frustration by some of the fans but at the end of the day your playing on New Years Day in the Cotton Bowl. Great opportunity to get some valuable exposure for a few elite recruits who are on the fence and playing time for some of the younger guys.

I thought the game was on December 28th, not January 1st?

Reactions: kgilbert78
This thread is embarrassing. This board has the worst collection “fans” in CFB. I had to put that in quotes because most of you here don’t even deserve the right to be called fans. You people are pathetic.
The fans who are complaining and saying this game means nothing and is useless will be the first ones to bash Franklin and the coaches if they lose. They can’t get excited about it nor will they even watch it let alone go to it, but dammit the team better win it or that’s a coaching fail.

The guy on the selection committee said both Utah and Penn State and were close , i believe he mentioned strength of schedule and Utha had the chance Friday but lost to Oregon. They weren't taking a 10- 3 team over Utah. Delaney was able to get NY6 bowl placement.
I would have been disappointed if we had missed the NY6.....but my goodness....

Reactions: step.eng69
Sadly, the people with whom I'm "discussing" this topic are acting crazier than the test board folks. Which is saying something.

Again, the only thing I did here was say that I'm not watching the game, and give my reasons why. For this, I was attacked ... yet I never attacked anyone for their views on the game.

Great, don’t watch it. See ya in September

Then please don’t use the game to bash the coaches if we lose.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
I think guys like hamler (if he goes pro) and Matos will elect to sit this one out.

based on what? No PSU player has ever sat out a bowl game. Not even Barkley. This pays homage to the team concept that Franklin has built. I would be very surprised if they sat out without being injured.

Stop the madness. What is wrong with you people?! It's like you have the emotional/intellectual maturity of prepubescent kids. For some people, they (wanting expanded playoffs and "watch[ing] your favorite team in a bowl game") have nothing to do with each other. That may be you. Congrats. You get to have that opinion. I'm not going to attack you for not being the correct kind of fan, or not being a fan at all (as I'm being attacked here).

For me, they DO have something to do with each other, as I've explained. It's a different way of thinking.

I haven't criticized anyone's way of thinking, in terms of their opinions on the merits of this bowl, PSU's opponent, the playoff system, the bowl system, or anything substantive ... yet you kids think it's cool to sit here judging the quality of someone's fandom, simply because they think differently, and I've been criticized about my way of thinking. Why are you guys so insecure? Accept that people think differently than you do. Grow up.

Oh, and I watched the Idaho game ... it was a relevant game ... we were still in the hunt for a playoff game (obviously), or to otherwise have a great season. The outcome was basically predetermined, but it was an early season game to watch who was going to play, and get a feeling for how they may play the rest of the year.

It's you dumbass.....

Of note: Cincinnati, the team that only lost to Memphis on a late TD in their CCG, and was basically indistinguishable from Memphis, in terms of talent and performance - is facing 6-6 BC in the Birmingham Bowl. The bowl system sucks.

Keep thinking the are a MAC level opponent. You are very wrong. They are a very talented team with excellent coaching. Remember what teams like Boise and Utah (when they were G5) have done to P5 schools who thought they could mail it in during major bowl games. The players must rise above disappointment of Rose bowl rejection and think what this means to recruiting and next year's team. This game sets a tone going forward.
You can try to spin this any way you want. I pissed off about it. 3-loss Wisconsin and Michigan got selected ahead of us. Memphis hasn't played a team currently in the top 20. They got beat by fricken Temple. Memphis is a pity pick by the NCAA to placate the lesser conferences. This bowl is a slap in the face to Penn State. Our team worked their butts off to finish 10 - 2 against a brutal schedule and gets "rewarded" with a game against a team that would likely finish behind Indiana in our division.

This would not have happened 20-years ago when Joe was in charge. Sandy has no influence in the NCAA. She is a paper pushing bureaucrat who doesn't want to make waves and is obsessed with political correctness. CJF is too young to have influence. We are getting pushed around and dissed by the big wigs in the NCAA. The situation sucks.

^ Michigan did not get selected before us.

Orange vs UVA would have been bigger slap in face.

You can try to spin this any way you want. I pissed off about it. 3-loss Wisconsin and Michigan got selected ahead of us. Memphis hasn't played a team currently in the top 20. They got beat by fricken Temple. Memphis is a pity pick by the NCAA to placate the lesser conferences. This bowl is a slap in the face to Penn State. Our team worked their butts off to finish 10 - 2 against a brutal schedule and gets "rewarded" with a game against a team that would likely finish behind Indiana in our division.

This would not have happened 20-years ago when Joe was in charge. Sandy has no influence in the NCAA. She is a paper pushing bureaucrat who doesn't want to make waves and is obsessed with political correctness. CJF is too young to have influence. We are getting pushed around and dissed by the big wigs in the NCAA. The situation sucks.

First of all, the NCAA itself has nothing to do with the CFP Rankings nor the NY6 selections, the committee does. It isn't an NCAA sanctioned tournament unlike the basketball tournament. I do agree with you that this bowl matchup could and should be better based on the "tie in" rules. Memphis should not be in the Cotton with 1 loss to Temple and Virginia shouldn't be in the Orange Bowl. It would be so much better if #11 Utah was in the Orange Bowl and #12 Auburn was in the Cotton. The top ****ing 12 teams. For all I care, the group of 5 can go make their own "playoffs" or only be allowed in if they go undefeated. Lastly, Michigan did not get selected above us... they are not in a NY6 bowl, but I do agree they have a more interesting matchup. They can't say on the recruiting trail that they made a NY6 bowl, however.

Reactions: Madsol and TJD88
This has to hurt recruiting. The players bust their butts and finish 10 - 2 against a very difficult schedule and get rewarded with a nonsensical game against a MAC level opponent.
Personally, I could care less about the bowls-----meaningless. Smart-aspiring NFL players won't participate. Schools & networks reap the cash.

You are so correct.

I wish people would stop with the.....they didn’t want penn state in the Rose Bowl. It sound silly and churlish.

It's you dumbass.....[/
I understand the frustration by some of the fans but at the end of the day you are playing on New Years Day in the Cotton Bowl. Great opportunity to get some valuable exposure for a few elite recruits who are on the fence and playing time for some of the younger guys.

Valuable exposure when OSU-Clemson, LSU-Ok play the same day.

Congrats on the Cotton bowl penn state.! Me and Jorge at the plant just were talking about how 3 New Year’s Day bowls for the big ten is good for the conference. Just glad that trash at Nebraska are sucking back ole milwaukee

Just my opinion, but after hearing Delaney and the talking heads yesterday and today, it was clear that once tOSU was locked into the CFP, the BIG West champ was going to the Rose Bowl. We could have beaten Rutgers 80-0 and it wouldn’t have mattered.

I got news for everyone, Oregon would have been an absolutely terrible matchup for us. Great o-line, NFL QB, and a really good defense. We’ve seen this script play out before.

11-2 and a NY6 win is better than 10-3 and a Rose Bowl loss for the program.

Lose to Oregon and we’d absolutely finish outside the top ten.

This is a great opportunity to boost our program’s status with a top ten overall finish and a NY6 trophy.
Although I would still much prefer that the Lions have gone to the Rose Bowl, there’s some truth to this. Oregon does have a great o-line and QB.

I hope the Ducks absolutely pound the Badgers.

I don't understand what your point is here. I see countless people here complaining about having to play Memphis and talking about how last year the team had to play Kentucky and acting like it's beneath this program to play teams like Kentucky. Kentucky beat this program last year. If a team (players, coaches) or fans want to act like they are above playing a program they better make sure they beat that program if they have to play them.

I don't care if Allen Robinson thinks PSU should have gone to the Rose Bowl or not. If Allen Robinson or any player on this team believes it's beneath PSU to have to play Memphis they are wrong.

Only if we're recruiting a bunch of losers. We're playing in a NY6 bowl in an exciting city. This is our 3rd NY6 bowl in 4 years. We're this close to getting over the hump and the proof is in the pudding. We need a couple of playmakers to make it happen. Recruits want to be that difference maker.
Well, Jerry World isn't exactly in that city.....though Dallas (or Ft Worth, as the stadium is halfway between them) is nice.
you could visit the grassy knoll

I have done that--and the adjacent Book Depository museum. Worth doing. If you like zoos, both Dallas and Ft Worth are pretty good.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and Madsol
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT