ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
We get 50k to 70k to the Blue/White game.

You aren't a fan.

Blue and white on a cost/benefit analysis makes more sense than watching this toilet bowl. Weekend with spring in air. More than just a spring practice game.

I would suspect a lot of guys don't play in this game for PSU. Hard to get excited for this, oh well. Hopefully Franklin can spin this and motivate the team for next year.
Why would they not play when most of them are coming back?

THIS is why Ohio State had to destroy Wisconsin!!!

No win game. This is the NY6 Bowl game every P-5 school dreads. Hope everyone suits up for the game and plays their a$$ off. Losing would be FAR worse than losing to Kentucky.

agree - not sure the results of this game, but G5 has won when UCF beat Auburn. I recall hearing Auburn players not being interested in even playing in the game. it is hard to motivate any team to perform against these teams.

Blue and white on a cost/benefit analysis makes more sense than watching this toilet bowl. Weekend with spring in air. More than just a spring practice game.

How much does it cost to watch a bowl game on your TV?

If you aren't going to watch Penn State in a NY6 bowl game you aren't a PSU fan, period.

Stop acting like a child.

I graduated from PSU. I participated in varsity athletics at PSU. I've watched a ridiculously large amount of PSU football games over a number of decades.

And you're going to try to act like I'm not a fan of the program, since they have to play some exhibition against some ridiculous throwaway team in Texas in a "New Year's" bowl that's not played on New Year's (Eve or Day), and I won't be bothered to tune in to see it? Kindly STFU with that immature nonsense.

I’m not so sure. Going to Dallas to play on December 28 at 11am (local time). The only discussion that day will be on the 2 playoff games later that day.

This will be a ‘whatever..’ game that day and I think the team will be as interested in this game as they were in playing Kentucky last year.

If staff and players cannot find Cotton Bowl more interedting and important than Citrus Bowl, then they got a bowl game better then they deserved.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Life is short and I live in a free country where I spend my time how I please. This is on par with Kentucky and Houston, but worse after winning 10 games. Absolute joke. Waste your time with your blue and white pom poms

No it's not. That's just dumb. Don't watch the game, I don't care. But don't try to justify it by looking down your nose at those of us who will watch it, like we're a bunch of rubes.

Well the players understand the game means just more practice and is of sqwat importance.

Why don’t you just quit being a fan of college football or at least spare us with your terrible takes and quit being a fan of Penn State.

Your continued notion that bowl games don’t matter outside the CFP is so freaking idiotic that it’s almost impossible to have any intelligent discourse on the subject.

They count for official wins and losses. They affect your final ranking and preseason ranking for next year. They provide an opportunity to play a brand new opponent. They heavily affect conference perception, which will play a role in preseason rankings.

When Penn State won the Pinstripe Bowl and had a winning season, as opposed to a losing one it mattered.

When PSU lost to Kentucky and cost itself a shot at finishing in the top ten, it mattered.

If you think our players don’t get excited for bowl games and view them as a burden, then you must think we have 85 losers on the team.

I graduated from PSU. I participated in varsity athletics at PSU. I've watched a ridiculously large amount of PSU football games over a number of decades.

And you're going to try to act like I'm not a fan of the program, since they have to play some exhibition against some ridiculous throwaway team in Texas in a "New Year's" bowl that's not played on New Year's (Eve or Day), and I won't be bothered to tune in to see it? Kindly STFU with that immature nonsense.

Very hard to understand how someone can claim to be an avid Penn State fan and willingly choose to not watch Penn State in a bowl game. But you do you.

We get 50k to 70k to the Blue/White game.

You aren't a fan.

I go to the Blue / White game every year it worth my time but to have a 10-2 Penn State team being disrespected by the committee is wrong. I think they delegated Penn State to that Bowl knowing that we travel well and hopping to get a decent crowd for a change.

I am very happy with the status that comes with playing in a NY6 bowl like the Cotton Bowl. Especially because we are in a NY6 bowl over some really good teams like Alabama, Auburn, Notre Dame, Utah, and Michigan. I like that we have yet another chance at an 11-win season. We are getting spoiled.

This is nothing like last year. Yes, it's disappointing we were matched with Memphis (although, don't take them lightly), but this is nothing like being matched in the Citrus with Kentucky last year. That was a disappointing bowl and opponent. The Cotton bowl comes with status. The team BETTER come out jacked!

If staff and players cannot find Cotton Bowl more interedting and important than Citrus Bowl, then they got a bowl game better then they deserved.

Unless you live in Texas, the cotton bowl, (outside of the times it’s hosted playoff games), hasn’t been any more relevant than the Citrus Bowl.

The Cotton bowl against Memphis holds the same importance as the Citrus bowl game against Kentucky.

Reactions: Storm at Sea
Agree. This should be looked @ as a great opportunity. The coaches have to set the tone along with those seniors playing in their last game for PSU. Accept nothing less than maximum effort. And please, coaches, show us something different on offense and defense.

It’s entertaining to come in here and read the whining and elitism that has already been showered on this thread and we’re not even 45 mins into the announcement. Don’t wanna watch? Fine. But don’t try to take the rest of us down with you.

Game against Memphis? Pretty blah from an aesthetic and a motivation standpoint. But here’s where it can be hugely beneficial - using it as a springboard to Playoffs 2020. Every bowl practice isn’t specifically for Memphis but also for the next season ahead. Replicate what LSU did when they got ‘stuck’ in their no-win situation and how they used that game (and a new offense) to catapult them to the spot they’re in now. All of the coaches and underclassmen should be looking at this as their first opportunity for that special year that everyone has been pointing at.

Unless you live in Texas, the cotton bowl, (outside of the times it’s hosted playoff games), hasn’t been any more relevant than the Citrus Bowl.

The Cotton bowl against Memphis holds the same importance as the Citrus bowl game against Kentucky.

That's just not accurate. It is a NY6 bowl. That is the standard for CFB outside the playoff. There is significance in getting into a NY6 bowl game for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Very hard to understand how someone can claim to be an avid Penn State fan and willingly choose to not watch Penn State in a bowl game. But you do you.

I'm a fan of a playoff. I've advocated for a playoff long before they had any semblance of a playoff. I never really liked bowl games, in large part because you often get really uninteresting or unbalanced match-ups, and outside of 1 or 2, they really had no outcome on who the "best" team was.

But now that there's some version of a playoff, the bowl games are basically meaningless. And, we still have a crappy playoff system because the bowl games still exist, so they're still screwing us over. I'd like to see expanded playoffs, and elimination of the bowl games (or the bowl games simply being the playoffs).

So, I start from that point of view.

Then, you tack on that we're playing a silly exhibition, against some program I couldn't give two rips about, from a conference I couldn't give two rips about ... why would I care? If it was a first round playoff matchup, I'd care. As is ... pffft.

LOL. No one gives af what you do. If you don't care if PSU gets win #11 on the season, you aren't a fan. Win, we're ranked in the Top 10 for the 3rd year in 4. Those things matter. But you fill your diaper because we're in one NY6 bowl instead of another.

Cotton Bowl vs Citrus Bowl

What's the better bowl? NY6 vs non-NY6

Jerry World vs Camping World Stadium

Case closed.

I hope any player that can't get up for the Cotton Bowl enters the transfer portal. They don't belong at Penn State (or any other big time football program).

I'm a fan of a playoff. I've advocated for a playoff long before they had any semblance of a playoff. I never really liked bowl games, in large part because you often get really uninteresting or unbalanced match-ups, and outside of 1 or 2, they really had no outcome on who the "best" team was.

But now that there's some version of a playoff, the bowl games are basically meaningless. And, we still have a crappy playoff system because the bowl games still exist, so they're still screwing us over. I'd like to see expanded playoffs, and elimination of the bowl games (or the bowl games simply being the playoffs).

So, I start from that point of view.

Then, you tack on that we're playing a silly exhibition, against some program I couldn't give two rips about, from a conference I couldn't give two rips about ... why would I care? If it was a first round playoff matchup, I'd care. As is ... pffft.

It's not an exhibition. We'll be either 10-3 or 11-2 after the bowl game. You can be an advocate for a bigger playoff AND watch your favorite team in a bowl game. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Curious, did you willingly choose not to watch the Idaho game?

It's a no win for us. They don't even have a coaching staff put together.

Wow, not what I was expecting. This is where I need to see Franklin come through. I was disappointed with the way the team played agains KU last year when they ended up not going where they wanted. I've not been happy with the games following our big rival game (OSU). It was especially apparent during the RU game.
They need to win this game or there will be a lot of bitching about the new contract.

Why don’t you just quit being a fan of college football or at least spare us with your terrible takes and quit being a fan of Penn State.

Your continued notion that bowl games don’t matter outside the CFP is so freaking idiotic that it’s almost impossible to have any intelligent discourse on the subject.

They count for official wins and losses. They affect your final ranking and preseason ranking for next year. They provide an opportunity to play a brand new opponent. They heavily affect conference perception, which will play a role in preseason rankings.

When Penn State won the Pinstripe Bowl and had a winning season, as opposed to a losing one it mattered.

When PSU lost to Kentucky and cost itself a shot at finishing in the top ten, it mattered.

If you think our players don’t get excited for bowl games and view them as a burden, then you must think we have 85 losers on the team.

Nobody gives a damn over these meaningless games. For good reason.

Have you seen the bowl games the past few years and the stands are half empty?

Who cares if you fatten up a regular season win/loss record by playing Memphis? There are 18 teams who have 10 wins or more. 12 of them have 11 wins already. So if we beat Memphis that makes us so special?

The rankings mean nothing, the only thing that matters now is the playoffs. Pinstripe Bowl? Really? That is laughable to 90% of the posters on here. For good reason.

Can anyone name the top ten at the end of the 2018 bowl season? Another joke.

Conference perception? I bet MSU and Iowa will shake in their cleats on game day when they face the team that beat Memphis in the Cotton Bowl.

Get this, if people disagree with you it might be because you hold some foolish opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT