ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Official - it's Cotton Bowl vs. Memphis.

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Didn’t we win our last NY6 appearance?

If you really place a great deal of value on NY6 wins, then we definitely got a better draw.

That we did. I don't think we can beat Oregon. But the question remains, can the kids get up for Memphis?? It will be Memphis' super bowl so we had best bring our 'A' game or else.

I’m not so sure. Going to Dallas to play on December 28 at 11am (local time). The only discussion that day will be on the 2 playoff games later that day.

This will be a ‘whatever..’ game that day and I think the team will be as interested in this game as they were in playing Kentucky last year.

^^ This ^^

This has to hurt recruiting. The players bust their butts and finish 10 - 2 against a very difficult schedule and get rewarded with a nonsensical game against a MAC level opponent.
Respectfully disagree. I like the idea that Franklin and company will practicing for a week and playing in Texas. James will be promoting PSU football in a hotbed state for recruits.

Are you suggesting Jim Mulaney intervened?

PS- if I didn't get his name right it's because he's not important enough for me to get right.
Yes .... and to elaborate, the only way a 3 loss team gets in a NY6 game is to the conf tie-in game.
So ya, I think the B10 pushed for UW to Rose and PSU to Cotton

Reactions: step.eng69 and Art
It's not the actual game that's important for recruiting IMHO. It's the message it sends to recruits about the direction of the program. I don't think recruits are making a decision based on the results of any one game. But when they see that a program is playing in yet another big bowl game with a chance to have yet another 11 win season, then that's a big deal. At least that's my thought.
I agree 100% and am amazed that others here don’t get it. It’s not about the 11am game against Memphis, it’s the ability to sell 3 NY6 games in 4 years, it’s the Cotton Bowl Champs shirts, it’s the photos of us on the platform getting the trophy, it’s the Cotton Bowl Trophy sitting in Lasch. That’s the stuff that recruits pay attention to.

Yes .... and to elaborate, the only way a 3 loss team gets in a NY6 game is to the conf tie-in game.
So ya, I think the B10 pushed for UW to Rose and PSU to Cotton
I was thinking the exact same thing, especially after Delaney was propping up Wisconsin last night. Wouldn’t be surprised there was a back room deal, Wisky to the Rose but only if PSU went to the Cotton.

Reactions: harjeff
Well... As disappointed as I am, I'm excited to welcome the alumni here to Dallas. We have a highly functioning and sizable alumni group here. As for weather, as likely to be in the 60s as in the 30s. Played golf this morning in short sleeves.
Last time we played there wasn’t there an ice storm and nobody could get to the game?

It's not the actual game that's important for recruiting IMHO. It's the message it sends to recruits about the direction of the program. I don't think recruits are making a decision based on the results of any one game. But when they see that a program is playing in yet another big bowl game with a chance to have yet another 11 win season, then that's a big deal. At least that's my thought.

I appreciate what you’re saying. I don’t totally disagree with you, I just think the emphasis by recruits is slightly different.

While fans get fixated on things like NY6, I think recruits don’t really care that much if you’re not winning your conference and getting to the playoffs (or at least being in contention for a playoff spot).

I think if you ask a recruit from Texas or Florida what they think of PSU the general impression is they’re usually a good team with 10 win seasons but (frankly) can’t beat Ohio St and Michigan consistently enough to win the conference and are not a serious playoff contender.

Fair or not, it’s the Joel Klatt attitude that they’re a good team, but not really a top contender. PSU saying but but but.....we were in a NY6 bowl against Memphis last year just doesn’t move the needle. It’s certainly not a bad thing but just not as important as some try to make it in my opinion.

Nobody gives a damn over these meaningless games. For good reason.

Have you seen the bowl games the past few years and the stands are half empty?

Who cares if you fatten up a regular season win/loss record by playing Memphis? There are 18 teams who have 10 wins or more. 12 of them have 11 wins already. So if we beat Memphis that makes us so special?

The rankings mean nothing, the only thing that matters now is the playoffs. Pinstripe Bowl? Really? That is laughable to 90% of the posters on here. For good reason.

Can anyone name the top ten at the end of the 2018 bowl season? Another joke.

Conference perception? I bet MSU and Iowa will shake in their cleats on game day when they face the team that beat Memphis in the Cotton Bowl.

Get this, if people disagree with you it might be because you hold some foolish opinions.

I disagree with you. So what adjective does that make your opinions?

Reactions: uPBRmeASAP
Penn State has been playing in somebody else’s Super Bowl the entire season. They will be fine.

Well, hopefully you're right and they play and coach better than last year when most everyone was expecting a win. It's a good opportunity for Franklin to improve upon his 2-3 bowl record.

Why are you wasting your precious time posting on a message board about a meaningless bowl game you aren't going to watch?

To vent ... because I believe this team performed well enough during the season to earn a game against a quality opponent ... and one that might interest me.

Why are you so concerned about judging other people? “Wah! You’re not a fan! Wah! Why are you posting about this?!” Just shut up. You’re going to watch it. You’re happier about it than I am. Congratulations. You feel better about yourself now?

Reactions: MacNit07
The amount of idiots on this board is staggering. What a sh#tshow this thread is. What the hell happened to this place?
What happened is that it appears that we have too many entitled fans. I remember when the BOT, the BIG and every moron sports columnist in the Country pissed all over us. I remember still winning 8 games and being denied a bowl. I remember when the Pinstripe Bowl was a big deal because we were on our way back.

Who gives a damn about entitled fans? Those kids worked hard all year, and yeah they got screwed. They got screwed, nobody on this board to my knowledge is playing. Years from now they’ll still remember it as a great time. They frankly should care less about what whining “ FANS “ think and go enjoy themselves. Damn right I want them to win, but It really is about them not us.

I got news for everyone, Oregon would have been an absolutely terrible matchup for us. Great o-line, NFL QB, and a really good defense. We’ve seen this script play out before.

11-2 and a NY6 win is better than 10-3 and a Rose Bowl loss for the program.

Lose to Oregon and we’d absolutely finish outside the top ten.

This is a great opportunity to boost our program’s status with a top ten overall finish and a NY6 trophy.
How does that play out with a loss? Supports narrative we don’t belong with the big boys, hurts recruiting, drop out of top ten and next year’s preseason ranking. If I’m going into draft I wouldn’t risk my career. I

LOL. No one gives af what you do. If you don't care if PSU gets win #11 on the season, you aren't a fan. Win, we're ranked in the Top 10 for the 3rd year in 4. Those things matter. But you fill your diaper because we're in one NY6 bowl instead of another.

LOL! Again, you're acting like a child. Compare "I'm not interested in the game because it's not a match-up that I care for" to "You're not a fan if you don't think and act like I do." Get your pacifier and sit in front of the TV, you awesome fan, you. Yes, you are the most awesome fan, aren't you? Yes you are! Yes you are! My big man, being the awesome fan!

Reactions: billthebusdriver
Does any state love football more than the state of Texas? I think not.

And now here we are going to Texas to play in the biggest CFB bowl game hosted by that state....the bowl they are proudest of....and we get to show those football fans what we have going into next season.

I say we are up to that task.

Hell, that just got me motivated. Thanks Mumbles.

It's not an exhibition. We'll be either 10-3 or 11-2 after the bowl game. You can be an advocate for a bigger playoff AND watch your favorite team in a bowl game. The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Curious, did you willingly choose not to watch the Idaho game?

Stop the madness. What is wrong with you people?! It's like you have the emotional/intellectual maturity of prepubescent kids. For some people, they (wanting expanded playoffs and "watch[ing] your favorite team in a bowl game") have nothing to do with each other. That may be you. Congrats. You get to have that opinion. I'm not going to attack you for not being the correct kind of fan, or not being a fan at all (as I'm being attacked here).

For me, they DO have something to do with each other, as I've explained. It's a different way of thinking.

I haven't criticized anyone's way of thinking, in terms of their opinions on the merits of this bowl, PSU's opponent, the playoff system, the bowl system, or anything substantive ... yet you kids think it's cool to sit here judging the quality of someone's fandom, simply because they think differently, and I've been criticized about my way of thinking. Why are you guys so insecure? Accept that people think differently than you do. Grow up.

Oh, and I watched the Idaho game ... it was a relevant game ... we were still in the hunt for a playoff game (obviously), or to otherwise have a great season. The outcome was basically predetermined, but it was an early season game to watch who was going to play, and get a feeling for how they may play the rest of the year.

Reactions: billthebusdriver
What happened is that it appears that we have too many entitled fans. I remember when the BOT, the BIG and every moron sports columnist in the Country pissed all over us. I remember still winning 8 games and being denied a bowl. I remember when the Pinstripe Bowl was a big deal because we were on our way back.

Who gives a damn about entitled fans? Those kids worked hard all year, and yeah they got screwed. They got screwed, nobody on this board to my knowledge is playing. Years from now they’ll still remember it as a great time. They frankly should care less about what whining “ FANS “ think and go enjoy themselves. Damn right I want them to win, but It really is about them not us.
But all the complainers were packed and ticketed to attend the Rose Bowl.

I agree 100% and am amazed that others here don’t get it. It’s not about the 11am game against Memphis, it’s the ability to sell 3 NY6 games in 4 years, it’s the Cotton Bowl Champs shirts, it’s the photos of us on the platform getting the trophy, it’s the Cotton Bowl Trophy sitting in Lasch. That’s the stuff that recruits pay attention to.

Exactly. It’s a noon game on a Saturday. This crew is amazing, can complain about anything

LOL! Again, you're acting like a child. Compare "I'm not interested in the game because it's not a match-up that I care for" to "You're not a fan if you don't think and act like I do." Get your pacifier and sit in front of the TV, you awesome fan, you. Yes, you are the most awesome fan, aren't you? Yes you are! Yes you are! My big man, being the awesome fan!

Stick to the test board dude. Sounds like it’s more your cup of tea

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT