ADVERTISEMENT

From our Pal Mr. Jones

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/09/penn_state_pitt_football_2018_2.html

He has a great line that has me choking on my morning coffee:

"It is a rivalry!"

"It isn't a rivalry."

"It is!!"

"Not."

"You're kidding yourself!!!"

"Nah."

The more bent Narduzzi seems to get, the calmer Franklin becomes.
Monty Python did it better...

In relation to PSU, back in the day, we translated this in to German for our German 201 class (German in Media) and taped it in a studio. Fun stuff.

I'm now convinced we timed the Temple series announcement as part of psychological warfare on Narduzzi. Franklin is showing he took his major seriously in college. He's so embedded in Narduzzi's head I'd be surprised if Duz can maintain any sort of composure much longer.

I'm now convinced we timed the Temple series announcement as part of psychological warfare on Narduzzi. Franklin is showing he took his major seriously in college. He's so embedded in Narduzzi's head I'd be surprised if Duz can maintain any sort of composure much longer.

NoDnuzzi should charge Franklin rent for living in his head.:)

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/09/penn_state_pitt_football_2018_2.html

"It is a rivalry!"

"It isn't a rivalry."

"It is!!"

"Not."

"Nah."

Since when is 37-6 a blowout score where starters should be taken out? Yes Joe took the foot off the pedal, but he also cost us a NC and cost Carter a Heisman by doing it.

It is a rivalry in some way. I think the game should happen occasionally. Maybe not every year.

They can blame us all they want for ending the "rivalry". If they still think we are "afraid" to play them after Saturday's result, then I can't really help them any further. They are too delusional for any help I can provide.

The reality is that Pitt ended the "rivalry" indirectly by choosing to join the Big East without us. That forced us to look elsewhere for a conference. We joined the Big Ten and no longer had room for them on our schedule. Not our fault or our problem.

Besides, I actually love being #unrivaled.

I am being honest with myself - and no it isn't.

Come on now. On "some level" it is. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many threads about it.

For us, Pitt is that annoying kid that keeps hitting us looking for a reaction. Saturday night, we punched him back and he ran to tell his mommy.

But he'll be back poking at us again soon.

It's not the type of rivalry we want -- like it was for about 6 years in the '70's / '80's --, but it is still a rivalry on "some level".

Reactions: nits74 and NJPSU
Since when is 37-6 a blowout score where starters should be taken out? Yes Joe took the foot off the pedal, but he also cost us a NC and cost Carter a Heisman by doing it.

Yes and a week after PSU gave up 28 pts to App St. in the 4th qtr. I think Franklin was setting a tone for his team, play 4 qtrs. Don't have a late let down.

Last edited:
Reactions: T J and indynittany
Come on now. On "some level" it is. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many threads about it.

Sure. And on "some level" Rutgers is a rivalry as well. The main driver of PSU/Pitt being a "rivalry" is Pitt fans complaining, wanting it to be one, and being annoying to PSU fans.

The reality is though, for a huge swath of PSU fans, playing Pitt is neither important or interesting.

They can blame us all they want for ending the "rivalry". If they still think we are "afraid" to play them after Saturday's result, then I can't really help them any further. They are too delusional for any help I can provide.

The reality is that Pitt ended the "rivalry" indirectly by choosing to join the Big East without us. That forced us to look elsewhere for a conference. We joined the Big Ten and no longer had room for them on our schedule. Not our fault or our problem.

Besides, I actually love being #unrivaled.

They can blame us all they want, but at the end of the day, Pitt refused to accept a more than fair offer to keep the series alive. They expect PSU to sacrifice revenue and marquee match-ups, but don't want to make any sacrifices of their own. Which is odd because they want the series more. Truthfully they are scared to play, but want to be able to complain about it. That's their ideal state.

It’s a rivalry for the regional fans of both schools.

It is NOT a rivalry for PSU football or the PSU AD.

For me, the Pitt rivalry ended when at the last moment Pitt put the kibosh on the Paterno attempt to form an eastern athletic conference. That was a real, arrogant a$$hat move and in my mind Pitt blew their chance to continue the lucrative rivalry. I said at the time, walk away and don’t look back. Screw Pitt, they don’t deserve to have a continuance of a rivalry and they can continue to remain a crappy to at best mediocre football program as far as I’m concerned. They once had their chance and blew it big time. I believe those who want to continue the contest have either forgotten the past history or were not around when the event occurred.

If and when the Big Ten decides to expand, Pitt should show up at Delaney's doorstep with their hat in their hands and offer anything they have to get into the Big Ten. If that happens, then and only then, should PSU be scheduling Pitt.
I was about to reply “that’s not going to happen and I’m pretty sure you know it. We’ve already got the Pittsburgh cable market.” But now I’m thinking about the changes to the cable TV world and questioning myself. I’d be interested to hear what others think. But I don’t see them joining the B1G.

As for scheduling Pitt, I’d like to see PSU and Pitt play on the field. But it’s clearly a better biz move for Pitt and there’s more downside to PSU than playing another big name program. That’s a shame. In the unlikely event they’d join the B1G, I’d be more interested in the games v Pitt than many of our in-conference games. I was excited for the game (and a bit nervous) and loved the trouncing.

But if they can’t beat us next year (which I really don’t expect), it’ll be hard to schedule them for a long time. Taking 3/4 (almost 4/4) wouldn’t leave too much claim the programs are on equal footing. I mean, if getting trounced by us is the big boost they need, they do start to sound more like a MAC program, which doesn’t get them the sort of deal they wanted.

Well Villanova did recently beat Temple the other powerhouse on future schedules so there is that.

Pitt used to be our rival when the game was between a bunch of Pa kids who used to play each other in high school. But now we recruit more on a national level and the familiarity between the players on each team is gone. I would rather not be playing Villanova, Temple, or Delaware in the future though as they don’t bring is anything but an additional home game. I’d rather bring in a team from another part of the country where we might recruit, such as North Texas, U Mass., Florida International, East Carolina, or some such place (but not Idaho).

Last edited:
Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
In the future IF we play Pitt it should be at the Beav only, they should be treated like a MAC team. Why?, because our fans should not have to buy season tickets to see one game, tailgating restrictions, and generally poor pre game bad sportsmanship.
My suggestion is schedule Miami, home & home, our rivalry goes back to the sixties, and a loss to Miami isn't so damaging.

Reactions: Ski and sarasotan
Very interesting. If you’re right, that’s a bigger slap than the Akron comment.

Then again, PSU doesn’t have to try to get in the Pitt folks’ heads. We don’t even need to show up at a game or be playing at all that weekend for Pitt folks to be focused on Penn State. I’ve seen them play other teams and chant about Penn State. Uh, ok guys...

Anyone that grew up in Western or Central PA in the 1970’s or 1980’s knows Pitt Penn State was a big rivalry. Two schools in the same state, separated by a hundred miles or so, recruiting the same players, with fans and alums living next to one another. Hell, for years the game used to be played the Friday after Thanksgiving. You don’t do that with the same two teams every year if it’s not a rivalry. I remember when it was the last day of school before the game and kids would wear either their Pitt or Penn State jerseys. They didn’t wear Ohio State or Michigan jerseys before those teams played, nor did they wear Steelers Or Browns jerseys before they played. Nope, it was Pitt and Penn State.

Is it still a rivalry? Certainly seems like it. There wouldn’t be so many Pitt threads and vitriol directed toward sPitt on this board if it weren’t still a rivalry. Do you think Temple will elicit the same responses and multiple threads?

Have we dominated the rivalry - yes. But if that negates a rivalry then Michigan tOSU isn’t a rivalry either. I also think Penn State and Notre Dame had a great rivalry going in the 1980’s. Some classic games that came down to the wire and the series is all knotted up at 9-9-1. Of course sometimes rivalries end, and Penn State Pitt has run its course. The schools still recruit the same areas but you can’t sustain a rivalry unless the two teams play yearly. And with being in different conferences and Penn State only having three OOC games a year (two of which have to be played at Penn State), continuing the rivalry just isn’t feasible or desireable.

Not sure what my point was. I wish we had a more natural rival in the BIG, but we don’t. TOSU would probably be the closest to a natural rival I guess.

Pitt used to be our rival when the game was between a bunch of Pa kids who used to play each other in high school. But now we recruit more on a national level and the familiarity between the players on each team is gone. I would rather not be playing Villanova, Temple, or Delaware in the future though as they don’t bring is anything but an additional home game.
Both programs are still more regional recruiting, even ours. The region is bigger than it used to be and we’re working on national recruiting but we’re not there yet.

The three mentioned are good regional programs to mix in with our standard slate of MAC programs. Given UMs, OSU’s and others’ recent successes poaching NNJ, I’d like to see us scheduling back in the meadowlands or Brooklyn sometime soon.

Sure. And on "some level" Rutgers is a rivalry as well. The main driver of PSU/Pitt being a "rivalry" is Pitt fans complaining, wanting it to be one, and being annoying to PSU fans.

The reality is though, for a huge swath of PSU fans, playing Pitt is neither important or interesting.

It is not the same as Rutgers. Pitt is in the same State as PSU and it was at one time a very good program. Certainly Pitt is currently down and may never get back to the level it once was. However, I don't think anyone believes the rivalry between PSU and Pitt is at the same level as PSU and Rutgers.

Prior to the Sandusky scandal, I would have liked to see Pitt in the Big Ten so we could have that true, natural rivalry game that we are without a doubt lacking. However, after the Sandusky scandal, IMO the vitriol from their fan base has made the rivalry unhealthy. As a result, after next year, I do not care to play them any time soon.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Pitt had a chance to keep PSU as an annual game and rival. But when they scoffed at Paterno's idea of an eastern all sports conference, it sealed their fate. Even Mike Tranghese said so.."You will rue the day you spurned Penn State". Here it is folks.

Rutgres is just "Red Pitt".

images

Reactions: odshowtime

"It is a rivalry!"

"It isn't a rivalry."

"It is!!"

"Not."

"Nah."

I’m probably going to regret posting this but I’ve found myself agreeing with a lot of Davey Boy’s columns the past month or so. Of course tosu is coming up on the schedule so only a matter of time before he pens a love letter to his alma mater and changes my opinion again.

For me, the Pitt rivalry ended when at the last moment Pitt put the kibosh on the Paterno attempt to form an eastern athletic conference. That was a real, arrogant a$$hat move and in my mind Pitt blew their chance to continue the lucrative rivalry. I said at the time, walk away and don’t look back. Screw Pitt, they don’t deserve to have a continuance of a rivalry and they can continue to remain a crappy to at best mediocre football program as far as I’m concerned. They once had their chance and blew it big time. I believe those who want to continue the contest have either forgotten the past history or were not around when the event occurred.

They also helped block us from joining the Big East, correct?

Anyone that grew up in Western or Central PA in the 1970’s or 1980’s knows Pitt Penn State was a big rivalry.

Your definition of Central PA is the Altoona/State College/Williamsport metroplex. I get it for you folks Pitt was two hours away.

For those of us who live east of the Susquehanna Pittsburgh might as well be in Ohio. With the hiatus the games took over the last couple decades an entire generation came of age never seeing a Pitt game. You rarely meet Pitt grads here either. My lawyer went to Pitt, and my dentist, but I don't know anyone else in my extended circle who even applied to go to school there. Our connection to the rivalry is very tenuous, and all but dead for those under thirty.

When UPMC acquired the major hospital in my hometown of Harrisburg they aired their UPMC advertisements that featured the Pittsburgh metro, where everyone knew who they were. The people in South Central PA/Harrisburg had no idea what UPMC stood for, and the video might as well have featured Dayton's skyline. I heard it said a ton of times, "What the heck is UPMC?" To this day I doubt ten percent of the population here cares or knows that a huge healthcare network, affiliated with Pitt, has a presence in our market.

The fact is kids in my area frequently apply to Temple, Drexel, West Chester, St Joe's, etc. The connection with the Philly area, with City Hall ninety minute drive away and 30th street station an hour away by train, is just too close now.

Given the diminished importance of the WPIAL as a football recruiting ground, and the growing importance of Philly, Jersey, and the DMV for our program, it just makes sense for us to play games in Philly. Lincoln Financial Field is a home away from home for many of us in Eastern PA.

It is time to move on. I like Unrivaled. And I know my friends will be much more juiced to play tOSU and Michigan than Pitt.

Last edited:
Your definition of Central PA is the Altoona/State College/Williamsport metroplex. I get it for you folks Pitt was two hours away.

For those of us who live east of the Susquehanna Pittsburgh might as well be in Ohio. With the hiatus the games took over the last couple decades an entire generation came of age never seeing a Pitt game. You rarely meet Pitt grads here either. My lawyer went to Pitt, and my dentist, but I don't know anyone else in my extended circle who even applied to go to school there. Our connection to the rivalry is very tenuous, and all but dead for those under thirty.

When UPMC acquired the major hospital in my hometown of Harrisburg they aired their UPMC advertisements that featured the Pittsburgh metro, where everyone knew who they were. The people in South Central PA/Harrisburg had no idea what UPMC stood for, and the video might as well have featured Dayton's skyline. I heard it said a ton of times, "What the heck is UPMC?" To this day I doubt ten percent of the population here cares or knows that a huge healthcare network, affiliated with Pitt, has a presence in our market.

The fact is kids in my area frequently apply to Temple, Drexel, West Chester, St Joe's, etc. The connection with the Philly area, with City Hall ninety minute drive away and 30th street station an hour away by train, is just to close now.

Given the diminished importance of the WPIAL as a football recruiting ground, and the growing importance of Philly, Jersey, and the DMV for our program, it just makes sense for us to play games in Philly. Lincoln Financial Field is a home away from home for many of us in Eastern PA.

It is time to move on. I like Unrivaled. And I know my friends will be much more juiced to play tOSU and Michigan than Pitt.
DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles?

Or did you mean DelMarVa?

They also helped block us from joining the Big East, correct?

According to the then Syracuse AD and Tranghese (sp?), Dave Gavett's aid at the time and later Big East Commissioner, Pitt took the Big East spot when the basketball schools opposed our entry into the Big East. Some say it was because Joe asked for financial concessions, knowing a game at Happy Valley was a bigger payday for our Eastern Independent friends than a visit to their stadiums was for us. There is general consensus that that decision eventually doomed the Big East as an all sports conference.

I think it would have made sense to have the Eastern Independents of my youth approach the ACC for the creation of an all sports conference. It would have looked something like this now-

N Division

Penn State
Pitt
West Virginia
Syracuse
BC
Maryland
Temple

South Diviision

Virginia
North Carolina
NC State
Duke
GA Tech
Wake Forest
Clemson

Now that would be one heck of a conference for all sports. You could add Miami and Fla State if you like.

Last edited:
Anyone that grew up in Western or Central PA in the 1970’s or 1980’s knows Pitt Penn State was a big rivalry. Two schools in the same state, separated by a hundred miles or so, recruiting the same players, with fans and alums living next to one another. Hell, for years the game used to be played the Friday after Thanksgiving. You don’t do that with the same two teams every year if it’s not a rivalry. I remember when it was the last day of school before the game and kids would wear either their Pitt or Penn State jerseys. They didn’t wear Ohio State or Michigan jerseys before those teams played, nor did they wear Steelers Or Browns jerseys before they played. Nope, it was Pitt and Penn State.

Is it still a rivalry? Certainly seems like it. There wouldn’t be so many Pitt threads and vitriol directed toward sPitt on this board if it weren’t still a rivalry. Do you think Temple will elicit the same responses and multiple threads?

Have we dominated the rivalry - yes. But if that negates a rivalry then Michigan tOSU isn’t a rivalry either. I also think Penn State and Notre Dame had a great rivalry going in the 1980’s. Some classic games that came down to the wire and the series is all knotted up at 9-9-1. Of course sometimes rivalries end, and Penn State Pitt has run its course. The schools still recruit the same areas but you can’t sustain a rivalry unless the two teams play yearly. And with being in different conferences and Penn State only having three OOC games a year (two of which have to be played at Penn State), continuing the rivalry just isn’t feasible or desireable.

Not sure what my point was. I wish we had a more natural rival in the BIG, but we don’t. TOSU would probably be the closest to a natural rival I guess.

This is spot on. Of course this is a Rivalry- the proof is on this board. There is no game I'd rather win that Pitt as I live in Pittsburgh, and deal with the media and fans, who are as annoying as hell. That being said, you are 100% correct in that we have three OOC games a year, and two need to be at home. It would be a horrible business decision to lock Pitt into one of those games every year. Four years was enough.

Believe it or not- I think we were giving Pitt a compliment. The formula for the three games is two stiffs and a decent or good team. I think Pitt was supposed to be the decent to good team. No way would they play and Auburn and then a Pitt.

Pitt needs to be in the conference for it to ever be a rivalry again or do a 2 for 1 deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT