ADVERTISEMENT

Game 9: PSU @ Minnesota, TCF Stadium, Nov 9th, noon EST

My buddy mentioned to me that the BTN 60 minute version of the PSU/MSU game shortened the game by not showing our 2nd touchdown drive at all, yet showed many pointless drives that ended in a punt. WTF is the point of that? The BTN sucks.
The PSU/Maryland version didn't show Hamler's electrifying catch and run TD either. You gotta wonder who is doing the editing...
"Hey, let's skip the TD drive and show this drive with 3 incomplete passes"

My buddy mentioned to me that the BTN 60 minute version of the PSU/MSU game shortened the game by not showing our 2nd touchdown drive at all, yet showed many pointless drives that ended in a punt. WTF is the point of that? The BTN sucks.
yeah, I was watching the 60 minute version and did a double take when the score was 13-0 but we had seen only 1 TD; I thought I had missed something, but they omitted the 2nd TD drive. Weak stuff.

Another problem I have with these condensed versions is they tend to show all or part of the official penalty reviews. If there was ever an area to edit, that should be it.

I haven’t seen minnesota this season. They started out with close wins in the nothing non-conference schedule and versus purdue, but they’ve rattled off several big wins in conference since then. What’s changed?

Remember how our 2016 season went? We started out slowly, picked up some momentum, then steamrolled the latter part of our schedule. Sometimes teams get better as they get more confidence. We need to put doubt back in their minds early in the game. The longer we let them think they can win, the better their odds become.

Reactions: jayhimes
Remember how our 2016 season went? We started out slowly, picked up some momentum, then steamrolled the latter part of our schedule. Sometimes teams get better as they get more confidence. We need to put doubt back in their minds early in the game. The longer we let them think they can win, the better their odds become.

We hate first halves. ;)

Reactions: MJG-90
I know this probably doesn't matter all that much, but I always like to look at 247's Team Talent Composite ratings before each matchup. It gives you a solid idea of how talented each team is (coming out of high school of course) during a given season.

Penn State in 2019 is rated #10 with fifty 4 & 5 stars.

Minnesota in 2019 is rated #46 with five 4 stars.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Minny has a ton of experience on their roster that they're relying on. I also think these ratings point to a pretty good coach in Fleck. You can't argue with 8-0.

Before the Iowa game, we talked about finding out during the past 3 games whether PSU was contender/pretender - it looks like Minny is about to find out a whole lot about their team as they will just now hit the meat of their schedule. ESPN currently ranks their strength of schedule at 91.

Looks like the team got Sunday off

Penn State Football
14 hrs ·
Sunday practice looked a little different for the fellas tonight. Thank you, Coach! ✊

We Are...
74693519_10156941859323198_4752922745191268352_o.jpg

74504120_10156941859608198_1378491795423363072_o.jpg

73513704_10156941860318198_6804829463751163904_o.jpg

74949053_10156941859838198_4475676245387902976_o.jpg

Reactions: odshowtime
I know this probably doesn't matter all that much, but I always like to look at 247's Team Talent Composite ratings before each matchup. It gives you a solid idea of how talented each team is (coming out of high school of course) during a given season.

Penn State in 2019 is rated #10 with fifty 4 & 5 stars.

Minnesota in 2019 is rated #46 with five 4 stars.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Minny has a ton of experience on their roster that they're relying on. I also think these ratings point to a pretty good coach in Fleck. You can't argue with 8-0.

Before the Iowa game, we talked about finding out during the past 3 games whether PSU was contender/pretender - it looks like Minny is about to find out a whole lot about their team as they will just now hit the meat of their schedule. ESPN currently ranks their strength of schedule at 91.
We will never know but it's very possible that Minnesota would've lost to Purdue had the Boilermakers not lost their QB and best player on the same play in the first quarter of that game. The gophers only beat them by 7.

We will never know but it's very possible that Minnesota would've lost to Purdue had the Boilermakers not lost their QB and best player on the same play in the first quarter of that game. The gophers only beat them by 7.

While technically true, The defense was playing well at that point in the game. I actually think the backup QB looked better than the starter.

IIRC Purdue made it close late in the game by scoring 14 points in the fourth quarter. Seven of those points were after a fluke bounce on an onsides kick with about 4 minutes left. After that second TD, Minnesota just ran out the clock.

Anyway, road wins are tough to come by. I'll take a seven point road win anyday.

Are the Golden Goofs trying to catch PS in an early morning lull by declining the evening game option?
Kind of contradicts their begging for Gameday! The message is “we are ready for prime time, but don’t want to be embarrassed in it.” Also Gameday for early kickoffs is stupid. The crowd needs to go into the stadium before the show ends.

Apparently someone on the Penn State 247 board said Minnesota and ESPN contacted Penn State about having it at night but PSU declined.

Apparently someone on the Penn State 247 board said Minnesota and ESPN contacted Penn State about having it at night but PSU declined.

Did there used to be a rule that November night games are now allowed in the Big Ten but the away team has to approve?

https://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/76214/why-b1g-has-no-november-night-games

The first thing to remember when it comes to prime-time games is that TV makes the selections and the participating schools also have to be on board. For example, Ohio State and Michigan don't want The Game to be played at night (Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told the Columbus Dispatch he would be open to a 3:30 p.m. kickoff, rather than the traditional noon kickoff). Michigan and Michigan State meet Nov. 2 in East Lansing, but I've been told that neither team wants the rivalry game to take place at night. Nebraska-Michigan is another appealing November game this year, but Michigan has no interest in a second home night game.

I'm sure Franklin will have the team practicing at noon this Saturday, to make sure they are alert and executing plays .

Reactions: Lavar5150
Nice to see. I posted a thread earlier that people are starting to beat the drum comparing PSU and Clemson.

Thinking conspiracy wise, maybe they're greasing the skids so that when PSU comes out #4 in the CFP next week people are not so outraged - assuming PSU takes care of business in between, they may be setting up a #2 vs #3 game in Columbus.

Reactions: bmw199
Writing a letter to ESPN begging for Gameday on the same weekend that #1 Alabama and #2 LSU square off?

Oof.

I would say "act like you've been there before", but clearly they haven't.

Everything about PJ Fleck is gimmicky. The "row the boat", the ridiculous acronyms he creates, the groveling to ESPN. But, give the man credit. He's done a fantastic job this year.
I think the letter's fun. But I'm not a fan of Fleck and will be mad if we lose to someone like him. He apparently traded in his wife once he became more famous. He also totally dissed Jerry Kill and others who helped him get where he's at once he got the job.

I think the letter's fun. But I'm not a fan of Fleck and will be mad if we lose to someone like him. He apparently traded in his wife once he became more famous. He also totally dissed Jerry Kill and others who helped him get where he's at once he got the job.
Agree. Jerry Kill seems to hate him, and Jerry is well respected within the coaching community. Kill won at every level, often at places with fewer resources than his competitors. Not a good look for Fleck.

By the way the posters in the Minnesota message board are highly confident.. borderline delusional. I never post on others teams board before a game, but can’t look away. They are talking playoffs and national championship. One guy thinks they will win by 17 plus. Outrageous confidence over there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT