ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD - THE WHITE OUT -- Penn State vs. Iowa

I'm confused. Why do you keep pretending this game mattered for that? Even if Ohio State lost today that has no impact on the tiebreaker and we still wouldn't get in because NW likely doesn't win a conference game.
Lol good call on Northwestern. They needed the boost

Lol good call on Northwestern. They needed the boost
Trust me I couldn't be happier but let's not pretend Northwestern wasn't considered arguably the worst P5 team in football. Huge for us. Minnesota choked hard on that one--thankfully. Lots of things went our way today.

ND was torched over the middle like 4 times on that last drive. 15 seconds left, OSU on the 22 and you give up a play over the middle to the 1. That really lost it for them. Then ND is not aligned properly for a run and the guy inches it over.

It is brutal to seem them eek out a win like that.

I'm worried their receivers will be making a lot of big plays against us. Going to be extremely, extremely difficult to knock them off there. We will need to play much better than we have the last couple of weeks.

The game looks winnable. It hasn't felt winnable since Trace's last game vs them in '18. Best I can ask for outside of a straight up win.

I think the key is King vs MHJ, no matter where he lines up. Just me.

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
This team, right now, is not beating ohio state or Michigan. Put me on ignore. Call me whatever you want but out lines are not good enough to beat either of those teams.

This team, right now, is not beating ohio state or Michigan. Put me on ignore. Call me whatever you want but out lines are not good enough to beat either of those teams.
They can beat Ohio State. Not saying they will but pretending our DL hasn't been strong so far this season is laughable. It's just something you believed before the season and can't let it go. I don't think it's likely we beat Michiagn but stranger things have happened. If we don't turn the ball over we have a chance.

How about this. How many of our lineman would start on those two teams ?

The game looks winnable. It hasn't felt winnable since Trace's last game vs them in '18. Best I can ask for outside of a straight up win.

I think the key is King vs MHJ, no matter where he lines up. Just me.
It certainly is winnable but will we? Who knows. Being able to shut down Harrison or limit him is certainly a key but what I'm concerned about is it is not like they are a one trick pony. You have Egbuka and don't forget about Fleming and Stover. So Harrison is limited but then Egbuka burns you and on and on. Heck, it was freaking Fleming tonight who bailed them out on the 4th down conversion to save the game. Defense needs to be razor sharp, this ain't an Iowa.

Call me a Homer, but I believe PSU can beat anyone in the country on any given Saturday. IMO, they have proven that they are gritty and can win in whatever manner it takes. They may not look perfect doing it, but a win is a win.

The boys best be proud of how they performed today. Continue to be humble and take care of business 1 week at a time.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I still worry about the 3 way tie. Really need 1 of OSU or Michigan to lose against someone other than us.

My combination of optimism and paranoia is such that I worry about PSU going unbeaten but still not getting a playoff bid because the B1G is perceived as being week compared to the PAC?, the ACC, and the ever-loved SEC. This would not happen to an undefeated UM or OSU, but is the kind of thing that can happen to PSU.

That's why I was relieved that the buckeyes won. I want the teams we have a chance to beat to win, the teams we don't play (except my wife's team OU - because I want to stay married - to lose.

PS: W. Va. beat Texas Tech and is 3-1 FWIW.

Reactions: lazydave841
My combination of optimism and paranoia is such that I worry about PSU going unbeaten but still not getting a playoff bid because the B1G is perceived as being week compared to the PAC?, the ACC, and the ever-loved SEC. This would not happen to an undefeated UM or OSU, but is the kind of thing that can happen to PSU.

That's why I was relieved that the buckeyes won. I want the teams we have a chance to beat to win, the teams we don't play (except my wife's team OU - because I want to stay married - to lose.

If it were possible for a less than zero probability to exist it would in this case.

A 13-0 B1G champion Penn State would very likely be #1 or #2. There is no possible way such a team would miss the playoff.

If it were possible for a less than zero probability to exist it would in this case.

A 13-0 B1G champion Penn State would very likely be #1 or #2. There is no possible way such a team would miss the playoff.
Yes, we are in under that scenario. Now the small issue of winning 9 more in a row.

I don't disagree, just don't want to rely on Northwestern, Purdue

It would definitely be the most ideal for PSU to win every regular season game. They do have the talent to do so, but to expect that would obviously be unrealistic. I guess instead of worrying about it, we just hope they become the best team they possibly can be. Lol that is how I approach every season as a fan. Much less stressful that way...🤣

Reactions: OzLion
They are giants. We cannot beat them. Let's wander in the desert another 40 years. (It's been almost 40 years since I was in Tempe to watch us win our last NC.) We are!

I think a lot of trick plays like the running back passing will beat OSU. They’ll never expect it.

(Sarcasm. Not sure why they bothered last night with it. Took way too long to set up and the dink dunk stuff was working and killing lots of possession time).

Have you watched either of them play? They haven’t exactly been perfect either. And they don’t have Drew.

Have you watched either of them play? They haven’t exactly been perfect either. And they don’t have Drew.
McCord and McCarthy are looking solid at worst. I'd take Allar and I think we can beat them (especially Ohio State) but it may be next year that we're truly on that level. All 3 teams appear to have a great defense this year. Ohio State beating ND was impressive if it is was with 1 second left. We have 2 weeks to figure out the run game.

McCord and McCarthy are looking solid at worst. I'd take Allar and I think we can beat them (especially Ohio State) but it may be next year that we're truly on that level. All 3 teams appear to have a great defense this year. Ohio State beating ND was impressive if it is was with 1 second left. We have 2 weeks to figure out the run game.

You're such a consistent dumbass it isn't even funny - we just put up 215 yards of rushing offense against what most consider one of the best run defenses in the Conference and Nation. But we need to figure out the run game???

You're such a consistent dumbass it isn't even funny - we just put up 215 yards of rushing offense against what most consider one of the best run defenses in the Conference and Nation. But we need to figure out the run game???
There's zero explosive plays from our run game and that's been the case for 4 weeks. Look at the average per attempt on the ground. Pretending that's not room for improvement is you being delusional. Your inability to ever provide honest criticism is comical but expected.

Reactions: scrivener
We have been close to breaking a few, however, the game plan against us so far has been scheme to stop the run, and make The rookie QB beat them, which he has done.

Going forward we will need to start taking shots down field so that the safeties cannot crowd the box. I have also noticed that when we have negative or short running plays it is often the back side DE or LB that runs the play down. Our blocking at the point of attack has been pretty solid other than against Illinois.

That's strange. I wonder if he's injured or in the dog house? Why play him late in the game if he's not 100%?
He may have been talking about Marvin Harrison. I was honestly unsure if the question was about Harrison Wallace or Marvin Harrison since there was so much talk of his injury in this thread.

Reactions: lazydave841
That's strange. I wonder if he's injured or in the dog house? Why play him late in the game if he's not 100%?

He may have been talking about Marvin Harrison. I was honestly unsure if the question was about Harrison Wallace or Marvin Harrison since there was so much talk of his injury in this thread.

I was talking about MHJ.

Were you asking Tre Wallace?

He saw snaps, but I don't believe he was targeted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT