ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD - THE WHITE OUT -- Penn State vs. Iowa

Anyone else love it when other players join in on the interviews? Both Singleton and Franklin crashing Allars interview. I love it and take it as a sign of a healthy respect and love between both team mates and staff.

Ideally we just win out. More likely is that we all finish with 1 loss. And then we are out.
I disagree with that being most likely. I think Michigan wins out and if we beat Ohio State that gets us into the playoff. If they beat us they get in.

I'm confused. Why do you keep pretending this game mattered for that? Even if Ohio State lost today that has no impact on the tiebreaker and we still wouldn't get in because NW likely doesn't win a conference game.
Because they have a good chance of losing against either PSU or Michigan to give them 2 losses. We have already proved that a 2 loss team will not make the 4 team playoff. I though maybe Bama would do it recently but they did not.

Because they have a good chance of losing against either PSU or Michigan to give them 2 losses. We have already proved that a 2 loss team will not make the 4 team playoff. I though maybe Bama would do it recently but they did not.
I'm still lost. The playoff spot has nothing to do with the 3 way tie scenario. The objective is for Penn State to be in the best possible spot to male the playoff at 11-1. Root against ND, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and hope the Pac XII beats each other up.

I disagree with that being most likely. I think Michigan wins out and if we beat Ohio State that gets us into the playoff. If they beat us they get in.

So you think the big ten is getting two again. I don’t. I also like our odds against Michigan at home better than OSU at the shoe.

Live look in at Iowa-killer Cael Sanderson

penn-state-wrestling-cael-sanderson-pre-wisconsin.jpg

I'm still lost. The playoff spot has nothing to do with the 3 way tie scenario. The objective is for Penn State to be in the best possible spot to male the playoff at 11-1. Root against ND, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and hope the Pac XII beats each other up.

How do you figure we make the playoff if all 3 teams finish 11-1 regular season? 3 from the big ten?

Meh maybe Wisconsin can knock them off.

How do you figure we make the playoff if all 3 teams finish 11-1 regular season?
We need Michigan to win the tiebreaker (and they should) and beat Ohio State with our only loss being to Michigan. That's our best shot. Probably about 50/50. Also, Big Ten can get 3 teams in with that scenario if we get lucky. Either way. ND at 12-0 or 11-1 with a win over Ohio State would have been way worse for us than 11-1 Ohio State if we beat them.

Don't count out ND. They run the table and could very well get in the playoff. The media, the playoff committee loves them and this is as good a loss as you can get except it was at home.

We have to go undefeated to get ahead of them. If we both have one loss to OSU we would have to hope we win the tiebreaker which would assume OSU loses to Mich and we beat Mich and somehow NW grows a pulse. Don't see the last point happening. ND will be ahead of both tiebreaker losers.

The key from today though is we yet again destroyed a team we should have beat--that's a sign of greatness. Now we just have to show we can beat other great teams to be elite.

Reactions: OzLion
Are we sure non-conference games go into this?
That would also then mean we need to beat Michigan which seems like the unlikelier scenario.
Not for the BiG but definitely for the people who vote on who makes the playoffs.

Don't count out ND. They run the table and could very well get in the playoff. The media, the playoff committee loves them and this is as good a loss as you can get except it was at home.

We have to go undefeated to get ahead of them. If we both have one loss to OSU we would have to hope we win the tiebreaker which would assume OSU loses to Mich and we beat Mich and somehow NW grows a pulse. Don't see the last point happening. ND will be ahead of both tiebreaker losers.
Which is why we needed ND to lose because with a win today they're a lock at 11-1 or 12-0

Reactions: doctornick
Not for the BiG but definitely for the people who vote on who makes the playoffs.
I get that but we control our destiny with Ohio State and Michigan. We don't have any control what happens to ND. Ohio State beating them is important for us. Thankfully the did.

Lando, at this point we need to win out. OSU is going to get in our way of the playoffs if the big 3 give each other a single loss. We have to worry about being the top dog in the BIG before anything else at this point. Unfortunately our schedule puts us in that position. That is why I was hoping to see a loss in the OSU column. It is not like Notre dame was unranked and would have came out of nowhere. The loss would not have hurt OSU that bad imo...

Reactions: PSUCYCLING
Lando, at this point we need to win out. OSU is going to get in our way of the playoffs if the big 3 give each other a single loss. We have to worry about being the top dog in the BIG before anything else at this point. Unfortunately our schedule puts us in that position. That is why I was hoping to see a loss in the OSU column. It is not like Notre dame was unranked and would have came out of nowhere. The loss would not have hurt OSU that bad imo...
That's fine--we can disagree. This result was great for us. Only bad thing that happened today was FSU and Bama winning. We're in good shape. 11-1 with a win over Ohio State and Michigan going 12-0 pretty much locks us in IMO unless a ton of teams go undefeated or 12-1 which rarely happens

Reactions: PennState_one
That's fine--we can disagree. This result was great for us. Only bad thing that happened today was FSU and Bama winning. We're in good shape. 11-1 with a win over Ohio State and Michigan going 12-0 pretty much locks us in IMO unless a ton of teams go undefeated or 12-1 which rarely happens
That is what I enjoy about this forum. Many folks will gladly agree to disagree. That is all part of it. We all love PSU and want them to be the best and we don't care how they do it. Lol

Reactions: LandoComando
We are looking like PSU 1980s, and I am good with that! The lines are the best we have had in a really long time going back to pre-Sandusky and probably pre-dark years.

That is what I enjoy about this forum. Many folks will gladly agree to disagree. That is all part of it. We all love PSU and want them to be the best and we don't care how they do it. Lol
And this is honestly the first time in a very long time I think this team can actually contend for a title. Might still be a year away but we're close.

Regardless of benefit, watching OSU drive down the field with 3rd and 4th down plays still stunk. ND should have stuck with pressure. Bad alignment on the TD.
ND was torched over the middle like 4 times on that last drive. 15 seconds left, OSU on the 22 and you give up a play over the middle to the 1. That really lost it for them. Then ND is not aligned properly for a run and the guy inches it over.

It is brutal to seem them eek out a win like that.

I'm worried their receivers will be making a lot of big plays against us. Going to be extremely, extremely difficult to knock them off there. We will need to play much better than we have the last couple of weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT