ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State versus UMass

This is the kind of game that hopefully goes away in the coming super-conference era. I don't blame PSU for scheduling it but it's kind of pathetic to see a team take $1.5 million to get their butts kicked.

Both sides are just hoping to get through it without injuries. I do think this offense will look very different next week. They just don't want to put anything very interesting on film. And the tough running -- no it will not work like this next week but hopefully the running game will still work.

This is the kind of game that hopefully goes away in the coming super-conference era. I don't blame PSU for scheduling it but it's kind of pathetic to see a team take $1.5 million to get their butts kicked.

Both sides are just hoping to get through it without injuries. I do think this offense will look very different next week. They just don't want to put anything very interesting on film. And the tough running -- no it will not work like this next week but hopefully the running game will still work.
Agree. PSU is playing very vanilla but showing some little wrinkles to make tOSU to have to prepare for it.

The only disappointment I have with this game is that it did not dispel what has been a problem with the noon kickoffs. We always start slow on offense.

Coming out and marching down the field on the first drive might have instilled some confidence for next week. Did not happen. Now we still go into that game with major question marks.

Can't play half a football game against OSU. On the road at 11 AM is a concern.

What can Franklin do to prepare the offense to perform in the morning? What has been tried to date hasn't worked.

The only disappointment I have with this game is that it did not dispel what has been a problem with the noon kickoffs. We always start slow on offense.

Coming out and marching down the field on the first drive might have instilled some confidence for next week. Did not happen. Now we still go into that game with major question marks.

Can't play half a football game against OSU. Away and on the road at 11 AM is a concern.

What can Franklin do to prepare the offense to perform in the morning? What has been tried to date hasn't worked.
OSU is eastern time I believe. But, otherwise I agree with your post. 😊

Reactions: dswartz

Can't play half a football game against OSU. Away and on the road at 11 AM is a concern.

Noon not 11 am...just FYI

I don't care if it's UMass - they're an FBS team averaging 400 yards/game Total Offense - PSU held them to 26 yards of Offense in the 1H (1 yard rushing). That's impressive - doesn't matter if it's UMass. Defense has been impressive all year.

Reactions: dswartz and GSPMax
The "other" JF viral clip from this week suggests they will not go away. We will see more of them. I interpreted as no more WV or anybody OOC with a pulse.

Can't play half a football game against OSU. On the road at 11 AM is a concern.

You’re assuming OSU will score right out the gate against our defense. It may very well be 0-0 at halftime.

The "other" JF viral clip from this week suggests they will not go away. We will see more of them. I interpreted as no more WV or anybody OOC with a pulse.
Ideally OOC becomes a thing of the past with the next couple rounds of expansion

I do think this offense will look very different next week. They just don't want to put anything very interesting on film. And the tough running -- no it will not work like this next week but hopefully the running game will still work.

I think they should show OSU some new formations to consume them and then run entirely different stuff off of it next week.

The Minute Men are stacking the box. But they are already worn down. Of concern is whether or not our receivers are getting open. Running the ball in this game will prove nothing. We need practice for our receivers. They will find it tougher next week.

You’re assuming OSU will score right out the gate against our defense. It may very well be 0-0 at halftime.
Might be 0-0 at the end of regulation. Not really but both teams have a great defense. Likely going to be low scoring. Need some big plays as long sustained drives will be nearly impossible and can't afford turnovers like Wallace did today. Just can't happen.

Iowa-Wisconsin is an important game for us. As expected it's low scoring but Iowa has the lead at the half. Good news

Might be 0-0 at the end of regulation. Not really but both teams have a great defense. Likely going to be low scoring. Need some big plays as long sustained drives will be nearly impossible and can't afford turnovers like Wallace did today. Just can't happen.
Defense wins championships. PSU has maybe it's best defense in about 40 years.

Reactions: dswartz
Defense wins championships. PSU has maybe it's best defense in about 40 years.
Oh agreed but Michigan and Ohio State also have great defenses. Let's not ignore that.
I still think we have a great shot to beat Ohio State but Allen needs to get more reps than Singleton and we can't make mistakes.

Nice smile on Allar's face after the drop back (pass fake?) And run for the first down.

Oh agreed but Michigan and Ohio State also have great defenses. Let's not ignore that.
I still think we have a great shot to beat Ohio State but Allen needs to get more reps than Singleton and we can't make mistakes.
You did not agree when i said that back in Sept. Maybe you are seeing the light.

You did not agree when i said that back in Sept. Maybe you are seeing the light.
What are you talking about? Great defenses are very important to winning a title but you have to produce offensively. None or us know if we can or not. Sometimes in college football it's less important as you can't be USC inept to win but we've do also know you have to be able to score 40 against a great team sometimes.

With three passing touchdowns and one rushing touchdown today, Penn State's Drew Allar now has 20 career touchdowns in 16 career games. He has zero turnovers.

Reactions: Obliviax
What are you talking about? Great defenses are very important to winning a title but you have to produce offensively. None or us know if we can or not. Sometimes in college football it's less important as you can't be USC inept to win but we've do also know you have to be able to score 40 against a great team sometimes.
I'm talking about a post i made in sept where i said defense wins championships. You replied to me that in effect not so in "todays" modern high scoring offenses. It is all about the offense and not the game that was played in the 1980's.

Review the tape.

It is ok that you now recognize that you can learn.

Delaware and UMass might be the weakest tandem I can remember.

Reactions: Obliviax
TWICE AS NICE.

Daequan Hardy returns his SECOND punt return of the day for a touchdown. This time a 68-yard return. Penn Stat makes it a 48-0 game in the third quarter. XP pending.

Reactions: psualt
I'm talking about a post i made in sept where i said defense wins championships. You replied to me that in effect not so in "todays" modern high scoring offenses. It is all about the offense and not the game that was played in the 1980's.

Review the tape.

hold on--let me get the quote for you

Delaware and UMass might be the weakest tandem I can remember.
They are pretty abysmal and certainly don't move the needle at all. But this team has done what they should do against Delaware and UMass. Now they have scored twice on great PRs by Hardy.

It's 2 weeks of easy games in which you can be vanilla on offense and come out hehealthy. No need to put anything on tape you might need against OSU or Mich.

I do like having a cupcake scheduled mid season. Kinda how Bama and others do before a big game.

Review the tape.

This was my reply to you--same as today

And the offense has to do enough to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, etc. Today they weren't good enough. We all know that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT