ADVERTISEMENT

Given the Midlands results...What say you?

Eh .... don't agree with much of this.

Iowa is solid but they only have 1 guaranteed finalist. And little else for guaranteed bonus potential.

Taking the other approach (more AAs rather than a few bonus machines) - they don't have the balance Okie St has.

Iowa will have to wrestle out of their minds to win the NC in March, even if (when) Wreck Hall red shirts.

There are no guarantees but Iowa have 3 that are favored to be finalists with Gilman, Clark and Sorenson. We'll see Kem vs Smith soon to see if they may have a 4th.

Clark & Sorenson very well could end up finalists - but either or both of them not reaching Saturday night will not surprise me.

Neither of them are unbeatable.

285 Would not surprise me if Nick wins here, but he has yet to beat anyone as good as Stoll. If Nick is able to get an early TD it would be key, but for now I'll give it to Stoll on a pushout stall call.
Nevills has some great wins at HWT this season the best probably being Dejournette. Stoll doesn't do anything I'd see would be a reason for concern based on what I've seen from Nevills this season

Who wins the dual? Or have we moved on to the National Championships?

My feeling is that the dual will be closer than most think, in terms of close bouts that could go either way. Long travel day, plus it's at CHA. Balances the talent level a little.

Still, how about we win 7 of 10, and win by 14 or so, with a couple bonus point wins. Clark goes, and it's more like 6 of 10 and we win by 8 or so.

Nevills has some great wins at HWT this season the best probably being Dejournette. Stoll doesn't do anything I'd see would be a reason for concern based on what I've seen from Nevills this season

I actually agree with you on Stoll - his major asset is his size and greco background. He takes a lot of ground and his style is to win by doing so. I think in the long run, Nick shows a lot more skill in neutral and on the mat. My concern, however, is that what Stoll does, he does very well and Nick has yet to face a guy that large that is that good at what Stoll does. I don't have much doubt that Nick will be able to handle guys like this in his career, it's just that he hasn't faced him yet, so until he shows he can take Stoll down, I'll be wait and see. In addition, it's in Carver, so every OOB in neutral will be called a stall no matter what, which I think favors Stoll.

Riddle me this? If Suriano can pull the upset and beat Gilman and Clark "doesn't go" is there a "possibility" that Iowa doesn't win any matches? Shut out at CHA??? Oh baby!!!

Reactions: jtothemfp
I actually agree with you on Stoll - his major asset is his size and greco background. He takes a lot of ground and his style is to win by doing so. I think in the long run, Nick shows a lot more skill in neutral and on the mat. My concern, however, is that what Stoll does, he does very well and Nick has yet to face a guy that large that is that good at what Stoll does. I don't have much doubt that Nick will be able to handle guys like this in his career, it's just that he hasn't faced him yet, so until he shows he can take Stoll down, I'll be wait and see. In addition, it's in Carver, so every OOB in neutral will be called a stall no matter what, which I think favors Stoll.
Definitely fair points

21 I strongly disagree with both of you assertions. 1. If you red shirt guys like Zain and Mega for a Conaway and Beitz, why not give Rasheed or Morelli (both have aa potential) their shot? That is called a team. 2. Number 4 beat number 5 in ot on controversial call and he is better than number 3? They are close but your dismissal of Smith is in error.

For more than a year about the only person capable of not being Jason's chew toy has been IMar. Kemerer looked pretty good, but beating the Nebraska kid in OT doesn't exactly scream "Nolf Ready".

I believe Nolf wiped the mat with Berger last year. Berger is good, too. Nolf is on another level this year than he was last year, too. He's going to tech or pin Kemerer.

Zain is going to pin Sorensen. I don't care if it's at CHA. Zain and Nolf won't wrestle a close match this year.

Reactions: garw
125- Gilman wins close decision, and of course acts a fool afterward. 0-3
133- Clark majors Cortez. Sorry but not impressed with JC so far. 0-7
141- Carton close decision over Gulibon. Carton looked tough at Midlands. 0-10
149- Zain majors Sorenson. BS will do everything to not get teched or pinned. 4-10
157- Nolf majors Kemmerer. Familiarity will save MK from getting steamrolled. 8-10
165- Joseph dec Iowa. Not sure who he wrestles but I think VJ should win. 11-10
174- Morelli dec Meyer. Morelli squeaks a close decision out. 14-10
184- Bo dec. Brooks. Bo too skilled for inconsistent Brooks. 17-10
197- Cutch dec Iowa. 20-10
HWT- Stoll over Nevills. Only cause its at Iowa. 20-13 PSU

Because it's at CHA, I can easily see the crowd helping their wrestlers especially in those first 3 matches. But if Suriano can knock off Gilman... this dual will get ugly for the bad guys.

My main hope last year was to see Mega go out as a champ. This year all I care about is that Gilman does NOT go out as an NCAA champion:)

You hit the nail on the head Dice. The vast majority of Stoll's offense is to tie up guys upper body with his Greco, then use his mass to shove them out of bounds and look for a stall call. He typically makes no offensive moves yet many refs are willing to oblige forcing his opponents to get out of position by taking poor shots that are countered. If anything, it should be stalling on him and I've seen a few instances where the ref had the guts to hit him, but not many and Im sure in Carver the ref will be all on board with the Sumo approach. There is no doubt in my mind that Nick is the more athletic of the two so hopefully the coaches come up with the proper strategy so he can circle when needed and get some good shots off. Definitely one of the more interesting matches of the night - can't believe I just said that about a heavy match.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head Dice. The vast majority of Stoll's offense is to tie up guys upper body with his Greco, then use his mass to shove them out of bounds and look for a stall call. He typically makes no offensive moves yet many refs are willing to oblige forcing his opponents to get out of position by taking poor shots that are countered. If anything, it should be stalling on him and I've seen a few instances where the ref had the guts to hit him, but not many and Im sure in Carver the ref will be all on board with the Sumo approach. There is no doubt in my mind that Nick is the more athletic of the two so hopefully the coaches come up with the proper strategy so he can circle when needed and get some good shots off. Definitely one of the more interesting matches of the night - can't believe I just said that about a heavy match.
Tiger, don't you know it's called the "Iowa Style"? Get with the times:)

Reactions: diggerpup
Tiger, don't you know it's called the "Iowa Style"? Get with the times:)
That isn't getting with the times, that is understanding Iowa wrestling. Forever when needed they have relied on the push shove scream staaaalllllin, repeat as necessary approach.
Dice and Tiger beat me to it, but while reading this thread I found myself thinking a lot of us are kinda overdoing our collective assumption about Stoll/Nevillis. Stoll is a big man and his offense is push shove staaaaallllin, and wait on a shot, sag sprawl and go behind. Nick when he shoots will have to keep his feet movin and finish quick.

That isn't getting with the times, that is understanding Iowa wrestling. Forever when needed they have relied on the push shove scream staaaalllllin, repeat as necessary approach.
Dice and Tiger beat me to it, but while reading this thread I found myself thinking a lot of us are kinda overdoing our collective assumption about Stoll/Nevillis. Stoll is a big man and his offense is push shove staaaaallllin, and wait on a shot, sag sprawl and go behind. Nick when he shoots will have to keep his feet movin and finish quick.
Jeez I hate to admit when someone else is right...

Reactions: nitlion6
Teching Kemerer is highly unlikely. Major or fall is not.
I am going to disagtree. Kemerer and Jason are friends and Kemerer will show up to wrestle and have no fear. Even IMAR decided that strategy is not a good idea against Nolf. Due to his willingness to wrestle Nolf, Kemerer is wide open to the possibility of a TF.

Nolf and Kem are very good friends and have rolled with each other a ton. That said, they know each other very well. Nolf will win by a MD. Could pin if he catches him but I highly doubt that due to them being so familiar with each other. Can't see a tech either. Just my thoughts...

Nolf and Kem are very good friends and have rolled with each other a ton. That said, they know each other very well. Nolf will win by a MD. Could pin if he catches him but I highly doubt that due to them being so familiar with each other. Can't see a tech either. Just my thoughts...
You could be right, but there is just something about Jason and I think it is that familiarity that is gonna drive him. He may not tech Kemerer, but with the major in hand he will be chasing the Tech.

You could be right, but there is just something about Jason and I think it is that familiarity that is gonna drive him. He may not tech Kemerer, but with the major in hand he will be chasing the Tech.
Agree 100%...I anticipate Kemmerer doing just enough to avoid the tech...

That's some bold talk :D
I could see it if Suriano pulls the upset and Clark doesn't go, Stoll would be the only other I see them as a favorite and that's by a very close margin...

Does no one else think a shutout is possible if Suriano steals one and Clark doesn't go?

The Iowa style may change a bit. When you bring in the type of PA studs they are bringing in they may not h
I could see it if Suriano pulls the upset and Clark doesn't go, Stoll would be the only other I see them as a favorite and that's by a very close margin...

Does no one else think a shutout is possible if Suriano steals one and Clark doesn't go?
I just don't see it at all. They wrestle tough at their place and usually pull off some sort of upset. Also, I'm not sure Jimmy wins at 141. Their kid is wrestling tough.

Suriano would need to pin Gillman to win that match. Not sure he can at this stage. Who knows where Clark is at physically? 141 is a toss up and so is heavy weight. PSU will win the rest of the matches. So it could happen but very doubtful.

/raises hand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT