ADVERTISEMENT

Go to ESPN College football for a fascinating story

Good read. More story than scheme for those reading.
Thank you for linking the article. I am not very tech savvy. Yes, still intriguing accomplishment. As was stated several times in the article, major D1 programs would most likely reject such an approach. I think I would enjoy watching one of their games.

Reactions: lazydave841
Love it but wonder about gap integrity

USC used to just hand the ball off deep in the backfield and let the RB hit the natural gap. In high school, a popular play was the wedge. There the OL got shoulder to shoulder and you just knocked the DL back three yards. If the DL isn’t down, they have no chance of stopping a power run.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Love it but wonder about gap integrity

The learning curve for the defense seems to be very steep. You have to know what you are doing as well as your position group and eventually the entire defense. A lot of "if they do this based on us, I go here and he goes there" types of reads it seems.

From what I'm seeing, it's very similar to Manny's 3rd down defense; they just run it all game.

I'm curious about how it fares against the run as well.

The learning curve for the defense seems to be very steep. You have to know what you are doing as well as your position group and eventually the entire defense. A lot of "if they do this based on us, I go here and he goes there" types of reads it seems.

From what I'm seeing, it's very similar to Manny's 3rd down defense; they just run it all game.

I'm curious about how it fares against the run as well.
Yes, both coach & players admitted it takes several years to grasp the whole defensive scheme. That would be a problem in P5 D1 because of the high early turnover via transfer portal and NFL draft. The lower divisions have more player stability, thus they can invest the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT