ADVERTISEMENT

High School Wrestling Thread

It's kind of like a non-take. Most years KOM is the same weekend as the Beast, which is attended by all the major prep/Catholics in eastern PA and it also has been the opening weekend tourney of choice for the NJ Catholics and Blair for as long as I remember.

Our school has been attending KOM for a very long time - until this year, we are switching it up for a year or two - and this has been the case as long as I can remember.

It's kind of like me making a statement that I'm making a stand and no longer dating supermodels. No disrespect to KOM intended, it's a great tournament.
U broke up with that gorgeous assed woman? What were you thinking?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Does anybody know what happened to the Williams brothers from Manheim Township (Kaedyn and Kamdyn)? I looked and don't see them on a college roster.

Wow. Couple of the more talented kids I had my eyes on when they started HS, and both may not even be wrestling now.
I was told that they would both be on the mat this weekend. Carlisle tournament I believe. We shall see.

2 quick things from that article:
1) I always like to see coaches giving their best wrestlers the best matchup they can. In this case it happened to be between the reigning state champ and a 3x state medalist.
2) CD's 107 is named Thunder Beard?! I don't think I've ever read a more cool name

1) I always like to see coaches giving their best wrestlers the best matchup they can. In this case it happened to be between the reigning state champ and a 3x state medalist.
2) CD's 107 is named Thunder Beard?! I don't think I've ever read a more cool name
I second this- Thunder Beard’s name may never be beaten. Is he good?

Reactions: Raw Daddy
Thunder is solid and ranked in the 7-15 range at PIAA 107 works as hard or harder than anyone. He's steadily improved every year so is just getting some recognition around the state. Spends a lot of time at M2. He's a kid that shows how much effort and attitude matters in this sport. I believe that he just recently changed his last name.

I second this- Thunder Beard’s name may never be beaten. Is he good?

angus-thunderstruck.gif

Reactions: danoftw
PAPower state rankings updated. Benton top ten and all home grown. Kolb at #4, big Kolb 7, Granahan 3, Burke 10,
ND, Faith and McDevitt top three & not one kid started at their school. Every wrestler transferred in. I still don’t know why people rave over Mcort. They honestly have 3-4 good kids. They would get crushed in duals. Saucon Valley has put together an impressive run.
Did Burgettstown hired Sunny Abe? He is a PSU legend. He used the run Mt Nittany like it was nothing

PAPower state rankings updated. Benton top ten and all home grown. Kolb at #4, big Kolb 7, Granahan 3, Burke 10,
ND, Faith and McDevitt top three & not one kid started at their school. Every wrestler transferred in. I still don’t know why people rave over Mcort. They honestly have 3-4 good kids. They would get crushed in duals. Saucon Valley has put together an impressive run.
Did Burgettstown hired Sunny Abe? He is a PSU legend. He used the run Mt Nittany like it was nothing
As I have repeatedly said there needs to be an open division for schools that recruit.

Mike was a beast, surprised he didn’t have a college resume to match his HS results.

Also surprised State College can’t get their program going at an elite level. I mean what else do you need - 2,300+ enrollment, live in the wrestling capital of the United States. They have a good group coming up in MS but they have all the tools to dominate year in/year out
State College actually did spend some time amongst the State's elite programs in the late 1990s/early 2000s. That run coincided with the arrival of an early local version of the current M2 program (Ken Chertow's camp- ironically housed for a short time in the same building as M2). State College had six State Champs and 14 medalists during that impressive five year period; finishing in the top five in AAA four of those years..
  • 1999 - 12th: one placers - Champ
  • 2000 - 5th: three placers - Champ, 4th & 7th
  • 2001 - 2nd: four placers - Champ, 2nd, 3rd & 8th (also finished 2nd in the team dual tournament)
  • 2002 – 2nd: four placers – two Champs & two-3rds
  • 2003 – 3rd: three placers – Champ and & two 4ths

OK.....this surprised me......maybe you as well. No surprise....Pierson Manville....138lb. State Champ wrestled @ 145lbs and won his match 1-0 over a tough kid from Central Dauphin. Somewhat Surprising to me... Hayden Cunningham wrestled @ 133 lbs and scored an 11-0 major decision. Central Dauphin won the match 42-20 with SIX pins. Surprising to me: Asher Cunningham wrestled @ 152lbs. and scored a 9-1 major decision. The Cunningham boys are growing fast :)

Thunder Beard. He had his first tattoo at 12 of his wife. Divorced at 16, remarried to his wife’s sister at 18. Cannot leave a parking spot without burning out his 91 Burgundy Camaro.

State College actually did spend some time amongst the State's elite programs in the late 1990s/early 2000s. That run coincided with the arrival of an early local version of the current M2 program (Ken Chertow's camp- ironically housed for a short time in the same building as M2). State College had six State Champs and 14 medalists during that impressive five year period; finishing in the top five in AAA four of those years..
  • 2001 - 2nd: four placers - Champ, 2nd, 3rd & 8th (also finished 2nd in the team dual tournament)
That run started with Nathan Galloway who was an elite PJW kid. It seemed like we could wrestle at SC High every weekend for a tournament. We would come in from SWPA looking for new kids to wrestle.

Some kid who wrestled for Abe told me lots of stories. He used to make kids drink an entire gallon of water before getting in the school van (if they didn’t have to make weight) and then would not let anyone go to the bathroom until the first person peed their pants.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
Thunder is solid and ranked in the 7-15 range at PIAA 107 works as hard or harder than anyone. He's steadily improved every year so is just getting some recognition around the state. Spends a lot of time at M2. He's a kid that shows how much effort and attitude matters in this sport. I believe that he just recently changed his last name.
He’ll regret later in life not choosing Rolls.

It helped that a few non State College athletes found their way to State College, ie Matty Storniolo, Harley and Rocky Anderson.
Instead of whining to the District 6 committee or the PIAA Coach Rhodes and the Bald Eagle Area program just beat the Little Lions.

Burke is too low, just took out AAA #4. He sucked way too much weight last year for the team, he's going to turn some heads.

Thunder Beard is the new Suds Dubler!!!!

People 'rave' about McCort because they plastered their signings with an all-out media assault, like those kids were committing to college. Literally put memes up with the Youth and JH records, saying 'committed' in 7th grade. So, in essence, they taunted the PIAA and got caught. Now with that said, its not the kids fault, but the adults (or should I say adult) behind it. And I'd say they have more than 3-4 good kids in terms of PA Dual wrestling, and next year they will be even more loaded.

Back in the day like 80s and 90s shik was THE powerhouse every year it seemed. Then you throw in the little school Line Mountain right next door and you had a hell of a meet line mountain had a kid Max Shingara at lighter weight maybe 140 at the time and he was stacked. Swear to God this kid looked bigger than 165 pounders. Great wrestling traditions.
Shikellamy and North Schuykill were the toughest schools I wrestled against in the late 80s. They both always just killed us.

It helped that a few non State College athletes found their way to State College, ie Matty Storniolo, Harley and Rocky Anderson.
Instead of whining to the District 6 committee or the PIAA Coach Rhodes and the Bald Eagle Area program just beat the Little Lions.
Absolutely. They accounted for 2 of those 6 State Champs and 3 of the 14 Placewinners. The Chertow club though was the real draw-much like M2 is today, The Club drew kids from all over PA and helped many of the other local school's programs. In fact several other State Champs and many of the placewinners during that time also trained there.

Not that the District or PIAA would have done anything anyway... BTW, mad respect for coach Rhoades but to be fair, he didn't seem to mind later when a few non BEA athletes, "found there way" to BEA :)

The Millard brothers were solid transfers. I think if you look back for 30-40 years kids transfer to the better programs. But this whole crap with privates just got bad the last ten years. Most programs public & privates, have at least 2-3 families who moved in. It has now become par for the course.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT