ADVERTISEMENT

High School Wrestling Thread

There had to be sort of back and forth there. Quentin wrestled in elementary JOs in the PO gym for BEA.
At the elementary school level the schools don't have teams, or at least they didn't, so Q probably wrestled for the BEA Club, which is one of the reason Rhoades was so successful. He built the program from the bottom (elementary) up. Amazing what he did at a small school like that. They were actually an AA school that chose to wrestle up. If they had stayed at AA they would have won a lot of team titles during his tenure.

At the elementary school level the schools don't have teams, or at least they didn't, so Q probably wrestled for the BEA Club, which is one of the reason Rhoades was so successful. He built the program from the bottom (elementary) up. Amazing what he did at a small school like that. They were actually an AA school that chose to wrestle up. If they had stayed at AA they would have won a lot of team titles during his tenure.
SC actually had a very well developed (for the time) elementary youth program. While wrestlers from outside of SC participated, Q (and Landis) traned and travelled with the SC Youth program all through elementary and JH. Move to BEA was done after a coaching change at the SCJH level.

They didn't have a BEA club, they simply had BEA elementary that was run by Lloyd Rhodes. But Q wrestled for BEA's elementary program.

I am just putting this in here instead of responding to another post. The Millard boys who moved into the district weren't recruited into the area, their father was a preacher who was transfered to the area. Their father was was a DIII national champion, and wrestling was important to the family. The State College kids were pretty much recruited into the district.

I commented about Angus 2 weeks ago that he probably would of been a good 125 pounder.
Nothing but ,"High Voltage".
He might have to tone down his celebrations though.
ddabc957ec2b6f58b6464cf3456e6ac6.gif

How about those Tigers. Benton knocked off Warrior Run in a great match. So many decisions and close matches. This match could of gone either way. Brokenshire over Betz was big time. The Milheim’s back to back to back was fun to watch. Some Hall kid wrestled Granahan really tough.
Well coached and wrestled dual by two home grown teams (well for the most part lmao)

What is going on at Muncy. When this crew was in elem Muncy looked like the D4 team to beat. My friend said they gave SC seven Forfeits.

Last edited:
WR Benton Dual was great. WR won the good on good matches but Benton took the toss ups, most with bonus.

I think you'll find a lot of that promising Muncy youth movement at Montgomery

Homegrown, ya know besides 4 hammers. Ha. Who cares though, been there a long time. Just giving you a rough time. Very solid teams, very few weak weights for either team.

Reactions: BrockBronson
How about those Tigers. Benton knocked off Warrior Run in a great match. So many decisions and close matches. This match could of gone either way. Brokenshire over Betz was big time. The Milheim’s back to back to back was fun to watch. Some Hall kid wrestled Granahan really tough.
Well coached and wrestled dual by two home grown teams (well for the most part lmao)

What is going on at Muncy. When this crew was in elem Muncy looked like the D4 team to beat. My friend said they gave SC seven Forfeits.
Which Betz? Any relation to Jason Betz?

D4 wrestling is TOP NOTCH

I recently did some research(slow snow day at work): Lots of talk about the 16 freshmen but upon further review, it’s a lot more common than people think. The only ones who get brought up are the best ones but there are so many top kids.
Wrestlers who will be, is or already were 19 when they graduate!

Ferrari’s, Rocco Welsh, Dalton Perry, Connor Harer, David Taylor, Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale, Bo Basset, Luke Simcox, Nate Desmond, Jax Forest (most of McCruit), Little and big Gibson, Jude Correa, Vince Bouzakis, Adam Watters (most of Faith), Brandt Harer, Barr, Feldman, Chittum. Then look at Willie’s top MS kids. Someone said the top 15 are all 15 going to be 16 in 9th grade (some PA kids sidun, Miller, Rothermel, Bachman, ONeil etc)

Reactions: Antaeus
I recently did some research(slow snow day at work): Lots of talk about the 16 freshmen but upon further review, it’s a lot more common than people think. The only ones who get brought up are the best ones but there are so many top kids.
Wrestlers who will be, is or already were 19 when they graduate!

Ferrari’s, Rocco Welsh, Dalton Perry, Connor Harer, David Taylor, Spencer Lee, Gavin Teasdale, Bo Basset, Luke Simcox, Nate Desmond, Jax Forest (most of McCruit), Little and big Gibson, Jude Correa, Vince Bouzakis, Adam Watters (most of Faith), Brandt Harer, Barr, Feldman, Chittum. Then look at Willie’s top MS kids. Someone said the top 15 are all 15 going to be 16 in 9th grade (some PA kids sidun, Miller, Rothermel, Bachman, ONeil etc)
It’s become more and more common for parents to hold their kids back in MS for a competitive advantage. I think it kind of stinks, but it’s far from uncommon.

It’s also why kids like Haines and Ryder, who are young for their grade, are so impressive to me.

Reactions: ChillW
Taking a deeper look today many of the greats were 19 when they graduated HS. This isn’t brought up unless something good is accomplished by them. Perry wins a State title and people complain that he is older. Forest wins as a frosh in HS over college kids & his age is brought up. I remember in my area when Conner Harer was dominating his freshmen year that is what people were saying. It’s sad people can’t just give compliments but have to talk down. When Waters & Harer will win AA states this year and there will be someone who says that is because they are 16. Looking big picture- Ohio, Jersey and Pa it’s uncommon to be a top wrestler and not be 18 or 19 as a senior. The 17 yr old senior doesn’t happen much any more.

Over the years AA states is always dominated by the teams who are the most battle tested. NDGP and Faith are on a collision course. ND goes to every big tournament. Faith invites two of the Best Jersey schools for duals. They dominated Cumberland valley and almost won Beast.
There is a reason every year in Hershey ND, Reynolds, Burrel kids win states and have 9-10 losses. Then kids show up unbeaten and go 1-2 or 0-2. This program is doing things right and going to be tough to beat in the next five years.

139 - Donovan Chavis dec. Arment Waltenbaugh, 4-0 (3-0)

145 - Jonathan Fuller dec. Chase Hontz, 5-2 (6-0)

152 - Max Stein dec. Joseph Ruiz, 6-0 (6-3)

160 - Luke Sugalski dec. Anthony Verdi, 3-0 (6-6)

172 - Adam Waters won by tech. fall over Carmen Marano, 16-1 (6-11)

189 - Max Nevlin dec. Jonny Beckett, 5-0 (9-11)

215 - Anthony Harris won by forfeit (15-11)

285 - Mark Effendian dec. Connor Reynolds, 4-3 (15-14)

107 - Salvatore Borrometi dec. Kole Davidheiser, 9-2 (18-14)

114 - Jake Talarico pinned Owin Brunner, 2:29 (24-14)

121 - Gauge Botero pinned Giovanni Schinina, 0:47 (24-20)

127 - Laudan Henry maj. dec. Jonny O'Brien, 11-3 (28-20)

133 - Caedyn Ricciardi maj. dec. Mason Wagner, 11-3 (32-20)

The advantages of being older and more mature run deeper than just sports. Rather than question the parents who are holding kids back for sports, we might want to question the decision of those who are not.

I agree but in the cases people listed I would say they are all for sports. I guess possibly COVID but doubt any for education or any other purpose.

Not sure in college you ever hear them say, he is a good match up but this kid was held back in 4th grade. Once they go to college, people stop when those excuses. Darn those Iowa kids are all in their mind 20’s. Kaleb young’s son won an iowa youth title last year. Did you see the football player from Oregon got 9 years.

Over the years AA states is always dominated by the teams who are the most battle tested. NDGP and Faith are on a collision course. ND goes to every big tournament. Faith invites two of the Best Jersey schools for duals. They dominated Cumberland valley and almost won Beast.
There is a reason every year in Hershey ND, Reynolds, Burrel kids win states and have 9-10 losses. Then kids show up unbeaten and go 1-2 or 0-2. This program is doing things right and going to be tough to beat in the next five years.

139 - Donovan Chavis dec. Arment Waltenbaugh, 4-0 (3-0)

145 - Jonathan Fuller dec. Chase Hontz, 5-2 (6-0)

152 - Max Stein dec. Joseph Ruiz, 6-0 (6-3)

160 - Luke Sugalski dec. Anthony Verdi, 3-0 (6-6)

172 - Adam Waters won by tech. fall over Carmen Marano, 16-1 (6-11)

189 - Max Nevlin dec. Jonny Beckett, 5-0 (9-11)

215 - Anthony Harris won by forfeit (15-11)

285 - Mark Effendian dec. Connor Reynolds, 4-3 (15-14)

107 - Salvatore Borrometi dec. Kole Davidheiser, 9-2 (18-14)

114 - Jake Talarico pinned Owin Brunner, 2:29 (24-14)

121 - Gauge Botero pinned Giovanni Schinina, 0:47 (24-20)

127 - Laudan Henry maj. dec. Jonny O'Brien, 11-3 (28-20)

133 - Caedyn Ricciardi maj. dec. Mason Wagner, 11-3 (32-20)
Another reason is so many of the kids get to Hershey and they freeze up. I remember when I got there, and it was an upset that I qualified, I threw the kitchen sink in both matches lol...lost em both but I left nothing on the mat 😆

My 13 year old 8th grader has wrestled 3 kids with beards in MS dusls already this year. I am not completely against holding kids back. I think it depends on the kid. I was approached about my son staying back, I declined. Its not the right choice for him. He is far ahead already academically, he would be bored senseless. From a wrestling standpoint, he doesnt get challenged much until we get to national level tournaments, another school MS season would be pointless, he has been wrestling HS duals all summer since he turned 12. I definitely know a few parents who have regretted it.

Academically there are many studies that say the opposite. Holdbacks not for true devepopmental reasons tend to have higher drop-out rates in both HS and college, more disciplinary issues, and worse academic performance after an initial bump often attributed to repeating already-learned material.

Kids like Bassett, Forrest, and other true elites would be great even if already Sophs/Jr's. A lot of others are good, but you already see the middle school physical advantages evening out.

Last edited:
Academically there are many studies that say the opposite. Holdbacks not forbtruebdevepopmental reasons tend to have higher drop-out rates in both HS and college, more disciplinary issues, and worse academic performance after an initial bump often attributed to repeating already-learned material.

Kids like Bassett, Forrest, and other true elites would be great even if already sphs/Jr's. A lot of others are good, but you already see the middle school physical advantages evening out.
My point was for waiting an extra year before starting them in kindergarten. Too many parents rushing to send their kids to school as soon as they're age-eligible, but not ready in any way but age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT