ADVERTISEMENT

Hildebrandt News!!!

Yeah. I get that. I was just pointing out that because they can for football (or basketball) is not necessarily a very secure way to determine if any rule is applicable to any other sports.
Understood. Funny tho, the real outliers in eligibility are Tennis and Hockey who can play organized activities, delay enrollment and still retain eligibility. The others are much more similar.
Or used to be….admitting to not having looked in a couple of years.

The comments regarding Hildebrandt are how I feel about our 157 guys. Matches, matches, matches.

Based on the results and total match numbers we have at 157, unless there’s a drastic turnaround, I don’t see us qualifying the weight. Hildebrandt should be fine for top 5 at B1Gs, assuming he gets enough matches in during the regular season to have a good record and decent seed.
Hildebrandt needs B1G matches since those are the key component to seeding at Big Tens. Get those matches, he is enough of a veteran wrestler that missing matches next week is not going to matter. At 157, those guys need as many matches as possible to gain experience.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
(Some) People keep posting about getting matches. Matches matches matches. In one of his recent media functions, Cael talked about the injury danger associated with wrestling too many matches too soon.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
Isn’t there also a risk of injury jumping right into matches against B1G starters without (a half dozen?) early season matches to get you back into competition mode?

Isn’t there also a risk of injury jumping right into matches against B1G starters without (a half dozen?) early season matches to get you back into competition mode?
Maybe less risk wrestling in a dual? One match vs 3-5 in a tournament?

I think Cael knows more about how to get his wrestlers ready for the postseason than the folks clamoring for matches.

(Some) People keep posting about getting matches. Matches matches matches. In one of his recent media functions, Cael talked about the injury danger associated with wrestling too many matches too soon.
Then don't wrestle if you can't deal with the risk. Put your best team on the mat or GTFO. Otherwise you're killing the sport.

Yes,there is a risk going against Howard and RBY too.
It comes with the territory.

No more risk in an early season tourney than tossing it around in the room? Tell that to Berge and Cassar.

Tossing a kid into a competitive tourney at the starting gun, would be penny wise but pound foolish.

I totally agree that seed is very important, but it won't help if he isn't ready and losses some bad matches against low to non-ranked opponents. Losing him to injury when he isn't yet in fighting shape would have this board up in arms outraged at the stupidity.

I think we are seeing Drew's potential this year through our rose colored PSU "Goggles". I am calibrated to getting a pretty much guaranteed 5 points out of the kid. If you go back and research you will see he is a very skilled AA wrestler who last year when the weight class was very lean did not dominate his way to the podium. There were a fare share of 1-3 point matches against non-AAs. Wrestlstat has him at #4 and we have folks saying here he could get 3rd. Love the optimism, but if you are realistic, he is in the midst of a pretty capable logjam below the elite 2-3, likely starting to get into shape only 2 months ago. His chances of missing AA are probably as high or higher than earning #4.

I can't wait to be surprised but I am not going to go into the season confident we have a guaranteed top 6. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a low AA or even just a handful of points where we are otherwise coming up empty.

Last edited:
Yes,there is a risk going against Howard and RBY too.
It comes with the territory.
Kemdawg and the other Iowa seniors plan for these risks:

images

Tell that to Berge and Cassar.

Tossing a kid into a competitive tourney at the starting gun, would be penny wise but pound foolish.

I totally agree that seed is very important, but it won't help if he isn't ready and losses some bad matches against low to non-ranked opponents. Losing him to injury when he isn't yet in fighting shape would have this board up in arms outraged at the stupidity.

I think we are seeing Drew's potential this year through our rose colored PSU "Goggles". I am calibrated to getting a pretty much guaranteed 5 points out of the kid. If you go back and research you will see he is a very skilled AA wrestler who last year when the weight class was very lean did not dominate his way to the podium. There were a fare share of 1-3 point matches against non-AAs. Wrestlstat has him at #4 and we have folks saying here he could get 3rd. Love the optimism, but if you are realistic, he is in the midst of a pretty capable logjam below the elite 2-3, likely starting to get into shape only 2 months ago. His chances of missing AA are probably as high or higher than earning #4.

I can't wait to be surprised but I am not going to go into the season confident we have a guaranteed top 6. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a low AA or even just a handful of points where we are otherwise coming up empty.
Obviously predicting 3rd with Glory, Arujau and Suriano entering this season at 125 is silly. However, Hildebrandt finishing 6-8, is a very reasonable expectation and a massive upgrade from our prospects without him at 125 this season.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Then don't wrestle if you can't deal with the risk. Put your best team on the mat or GTFO. Otherwise you're killing the sport.
Yes - certainly Cael Sanderson and the Penn State varsity wrestling team are “killing the sport.”

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
From the looks of Sarah Hildebrandt’s IG story, Drew must be getting married soon. Looks like she’s at a Bachelorette party tonight, where temporary tattoos of Drew’s face are a party favor. Sarah is not impressed. 😂

Now the kicker: the bride to be is NOT named Maddie or Maddy. Guess it just wasn’t in the cards for us fellahs…

Last edited:
Hildebrandt needs B1G matches since those are the key component to seeding at Big Tens. Get those matches, he is enough of a veteran wrestler that missing matches next week is not going to matter. At 157, those guys need as many matches as possible to gain experience.

Not sure I agree with that at all given the amount of time since his last competitive match.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
From the looks of Sarah Hildebrandt’s IG story, Drew must be getting married soon. Looks like she’s at a Bachelorette party tonight, where temporary tattoos of Drew’s face are a party favor. Sarah is not impressed. 😂

Now the kicker: the bride to be is NOT named Maddie or Maddy. Guess it just wasn’t in the cards for us fellahs…
Hildebrandt's sister is Mike Evans?

In which case, he's a lock for 6th.

No more risk in an early season tourney than tossing it around in the room? Tell that to Berge and Cassar.

another approach would be to enter him but only have him wrestle his first two depending on how he feels. we’re seeing that more and more these days.

good analysis on where he stacks up. i’ve been a hildebrandt fan for a long time because of the hoosier ties. he’s squarely in that 3rd tier below the top 4. his ceiling is probably 5th (barring weird bracket layout/injuries), but there are also guys in the 15-20 range that could beat him too. definitely an upgrade, but far from guaranteed points.

Has a wrestler ever done better in college wrestler after getting married. It usually hurts the rest of their careers from what I remember

Has a wrestler ever done better in college wrestler after getting married. It usually hurts the rest of their careers from what I remember

A classic I recalled from decades ago when we had newspapers and stuff like that. The caption tells it all.

As for your last sentence FIFY "
It usually hurts the rest of their lives from what I remember"

another approach would be to enter him but only have him wrestle his first two depending on how he feels. we’re seeing that more and more these days.

good analysis on where he stacks up. i’ve been a hildebrandt fan for a long time because of the hoosier ties. he’s squarely in that 3rd tier below the top 4. his ceiling is probably 5th (barring weird bracket layout/injuries), but there are also guys in the 15-20 range that could beat him too. definitely an upgrade, but far from guaranteed points.
You could say the same for Murin or Young, that there are guys in the 15-20 range that could beat them both.
149: Gomez (14), Storr(15), Gfeller(19), Demas(21), Bartlett(22) all could beat Murin.
157: Thomas(16), Willits(17), Zapf(20), Saldate(21), Scott(23) all could beat Young.
I'll plug Hildebrandt in at a still mediocre weight class in terms of depth at 125 and gladly take my chances that he'll be an AA. Quite an improvement for PSU, were he not on the team.

Reactions: jack66
You could say the same for Murin or Young, that there are guys in the 15-20 range that could beat them both.
149: Gomez (14), Storr(15), Gfeller(19), Demas(21), Bartlett(22) all could beat Murin.
157: Thomas(16), Willits(17), Zapf(20), Saldate(21), Scott(23) all could beat Young.
I'll plug Hildebrandt in at a still mediocre weight class in terms of depth at 125 and gladly take my chances that he'll be an AA. Quite an improvement for PSU, were he not on the team.
Big difference is Iowa can afford hits at those weights. Murin and Young are considered their 8th and 9th guys probably and 184 is their 10th. Murin also has been R12 twice including with mono once and Young has podiumed twice. Drew and Beau are our 7th and 8th and our 9th and 10th aren't even guaranteed qualifiers (I think Creighton definitely qualifies but I wouldn't bank on him scoring a ton of points). Our issue last year is we didn't get points at 4 weights basically (4.5 at our non AA weights) and even 4 champs can't overcome that. We need points at 125/149 almost certainly (insert 8 scoring wrestlers joke) to win this year and for our first 6 to be high AAs/champs with bonus.

Another big thing, tournament is volatile and in the words of Ohio State, you can make some good "friends" If we can't score at 165, hoping Marinelli finishes closer to 8th instead of 1st would be a very helpful scenario.

Reactions: backdrft76
Big difference is Iowa can afford hits at those weights. Murin and Young are considered their 8th and 9th guys probably and 184 is their 10th. Murin also has been R12 twice including with mono once and Young has podiumed twice. Drew and Beau are our 7th and 8th and our 9th and 10th aren't even guaranteed qualifiers (I think Creighton definitely qualifies but I wouldn't bank on him scoring a ton of points). Our issue last year is we didn't get points at 4 weights basically (4.5 at our non AA weights) and even 4 champs can't overcome that. We need points at 125/149 almost certainly (insert 8 scoring wrestlers joke) to win this year and for our first 6 to be high AAs/champs with bonus.

Another big thing, tournament is volatile and in the words of Ohio State, you can make some good "friends" If we can't score at 165, hoping Marinelli finishes closer to 8th instead of 1st would be a very helpful scenario.
I’ll take Hildebrandt to be an AA, Bartlett to surprise folks and Facundo as the wildcard. Add to that our big 4 are superior to their big 4 come tournament time and I like where we stand.

I’ll take Hildebrandt to be an AA, Bartlett to surprise folks and Facundo as the wildcard. Add to that our big 4 are superior to their big 4 come tournament time and I like where we stand.
It's definitely not a given that Facundo is getting his redshirt pulled, Casey even said the plan is to keep him in redshirt and alb409 from 247 said he excepts Facundo to stay redshirted.

It's definitely not a given that Facundo is getting his redshirt pulled, Casey even said the plan is to keep him in redshirt and alb409 from 247 said he excepts Facundo to stay redshirted.
Not a given, but I am still hopeful he forces their hand.

I think we’re getting appreciably more points at 197 and HWT this season. People forget how sidelined Kerk had been before wrestling to 7th with three bonus point victories. Add to that AA points at 125 and hopefully some. scoring at 149 and 165. However, I will admit we prob need all four champs to repeat, which is easier said than done.

Reactions: NittanyChris
yes, you can. especially murin. actually more so than hildebrandt who has at least placed before. young isn't exciting, but he is pretty consistent. for the most part, he beats who he's supposed to and loses to who he's supposed to.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think the concern of Hildebrandt being rusty or out of shape is overblown. I’m sure he’s been training for months and it’s not like he’s been off the mat forever, he isn’t going to forget how to wrestle.
Now that it's known he has been in the room for quite some time, I feel way better. I was kind of worried he was literally waiting until January to arrive.

Far from guaranteed points? Are you saying you dont think he’ll win a match? If Drew qualifies he’ll grab more points than Murin or Assad.

Far from guaranteed points? Are you saying you dont think he’ll win a match? If Drew qualifies he’ll grab more points than Murin or Assad.
*guaranteed significant points*

you basically have to place (or pin a bunch of people, but he's not a bonus guy) to score any real points at ncaa's. murin is 2x r12 and has scored 4 career team points. if hildebrandt isn't a guarantee to place, he's not a guarantee to score anything major.

*guaranteed significant points*

you basically have to place (or pin a bunch of people, but he's not a bonus guy) to score any real points at ncaa's. murin is 2x r12 and has scored 4 career team points. if hildebrandt isn't a guarantee to place, he's not a guarantee to score anything major.
The beauty of NCAA is nothing is guaranteed. That's why I don't think starting with the prior year tournament is the best methodology. That's assuming a lot of the same thing to happen again, which we know isn't the case ever. Bottom line, on paper, Iowa has multiple heavy hitters that can win, a lot of bonusers and no holes, which makes you guys the favorite. I think Cael (and Brands) just take a big picture approach. Why over complicate things? Focus on the guy ahead of you and focus on bonusing. As DT said, Cael never brought up the team score to him during his 4 years there.

Reactions: johnyt9 and js8793
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT