ADVERTISEMENT

How James Franklin is attracting blue-chip talent to Penn State

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Felt this deserved its own thread. Whole article is kind of a must-read.

USATSI_10506529-1024x700.jpg

By Bruce Feldman Jul 5, 2018
comment-icon.png
The most eye-opening thing I saw during a week with the LSU staff around Signing Day 2017 didn’t involve the Tigers or anything regarding the SEC. It was a program 1,200 miles away.

LSU spent much of that week trying to get a jump on the 2018 and 2019 prospects with film review and phone calls to coaches. It wasn’t shocking to see that many of the top prospects it was targeting had Georgia, Alabama and Clemson listed among their favorites, but seeing Penn State listed so often was quite a surprise. The Nittany Lions hadn’t had a top-10 recruiting class since 2006, according to 247Sports, and their average class ranked No. 26 over the previous decade.

Twelve months later, Penn State closed on the nation’s No. 5 class, featuring three five-star and 12 four-star recruits.

What triggered the big change?

Talk to some of the parents of blue-chip prospects, and they’ll say it is epitomized by an 85-second video clip filmed last July at Penn State’s “Lasch Bash” recruiting get-together. One parent, Charles Wallace, the father of Caedan Wallace, the nation’s No. 80-ranked recruit in the Class of 2019, posted that clip on Twitter. It is of Franklin’s speech to recruits and their families about what he thinks makes Penn State’s program unique.

“We were sitting there and he was talking, and something inside was telling me this was a special moment,” Wallace told The Athletic. “He had gotten emotional. I was like, ‘Let me start recording this. I really want to hear what he’s going to say.’ ” ...story continues...

https://theathletic.com/417183/2018/07/05/james-franklin-recruiting-penn-state-football/

Felt this deserved its own thread. Whole article is kind of a must-read.

USATSI_10506529-1024x700.jpg

By Bruce Feldman Jul 5, 2018
comment-icon.png
The most eye-opening thing I saw during a week with the LSU staff around Signing Day 2017 didn’t involve the Tigers or anything regarding the SEC. It was a program 1,200 miles away.

LSU spent much of that week trying to get a jump on the 2018 and 2019 prospects with film review and phone calls to coaches. It wasn’t shocking to see that many of the top prospects it was targeting had Georgia, Alabama and Clemson listed among their favorites, but seeing Penn State listed so often was quite a surprise. The Nittany Lions hadn’t had a top-10 recruiting class since 2006, according to 247Sports, and their average class ranked No. 26 over the previous decade.

Twelve months later, Penn State closed on the nation’s No. 5 class, featuring three five-star and 12 four-star recruits.

What triggered the big change?

Talk to some of the parents of blue-chip prospects, and they’ll say it is epitomized by an 85-second video clip filmed last July at Penn State’s “Lasch Bash” recruiting get-together. One parent, Charles Wallace, the father of Caedan Wallace, the nation’s No. 80-ranked recruit in the Class of 2019, posted that clip on Twitter. It is of Franklin’s speech to recruits and their families about what he thinks makes Penn State’s program unique.

“We were sitting there and he was talking, and something inside was telling me this was a special moment,” Wallace told The Athletic. “He had gotten emotional. I was like, ‘Let me start recording this. I really want to hear what he’s going to say.’ ” ...story continues...

https://theathletic.com/417183/2018/07/05/james-franklin-recruiting-penn-state-football/

What a great article.. every, and I mean every, Penn State fan should read this.

So many "fans" think that the college game is identical to the NFL.. it's not.. at all. James has a real passion for these kids and Penn State as a whole. We are beyond lucky to have him as our coach. The best is yet to come.

We Are.

What a great article.. every, and I mean every, Penn State fan should read this.

So many "fans" think that the college game is identical to the NFL.. it's not.. at all. James has a real passion for these kids and Penn State as a whole. We are beyond lucky to have him as our coach. The best is yet to come.

We Are.
+110

I read the entire article. I firmly believe that when Penn State plays in a National Championship game they will reflect back on this article.

Reactions: PSU65 and Kmase21

We Are.

Pet Peeve alert!

I've heard so many leaders pull the "we are family" card that it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that, including the mustered up tear perfectly timed with the voice crack. I fell for that crap once, and I will never fall for it again.

CJF should be telling kids and parents that he is a teacher and a coach. Kids need to come to be prepared to play; and if they do they will be rewarded. They won't be cut and will be able to realize their full scholarship. But he isn't their mom or dad. he's not going to wipe their noses and tuck them in at night. His love is not unconditional. He has an obligation to teach and coach and he will do the best he can for each and every one of them.

The next time I see a car dealership commercial where they call their customers "one of the family"...well, lets just say when I hear a company say that, I avoid them at all costs.

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg

Last edited:
CJF should be telling kids and parents that he is a teacher and a coach. Kids need to come to be prepared to play; and if they do they will be rewarded. They won't be cut and will be able to realize their full scholarship. But he isn't their mom or dad.
I think he's doing ok with potentiality 3 straight 10 win seasons but, hey, whatever floats your boat! (Or chaps your ass in this instance)

Pet Peeve alert!

I've heard so many leaders pull the "we are family" card that it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that, including the mustered up tear perfectly timed with the voice crack. I fell for that crap once, and I will never fall for it again.

CJF should be telling kids and parents that he is a teacher and a coach. Kids need to come to be prepared to play; and if they do they will be rewarded. They won't be cut and will be able to realize their full scholarship. But he isn't their mom or dad. he's not going to wipe their noses and tuck them in at night. His love is not unconditional. He has an obligation to teach and coach and he will do the best he can for each and every one of them.

The next time I see a car dealership commercial where they call their customers "one of the family"...well, lets just say when I hear a company say that, I avoid them at all costs.

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg

What makes you think he isn't doing that behind the scenes? I have read many articles, which include all the interviews with every staff member that pointed out exactly what you just stated yesterday. I think you are reading too hard into one article about what makes families love what's happening at Penn State.

No need to hate, but think what you want.

What makes you think he isn't doing that behind the scenes? I have read many articles, which include all the interviews with every staff member that pointed out exactly what you just stated yesterday. I think you are reading too hard into one article about what makes families love what's happening at Penn State.

No need to hate, but think what you want.
Fair comments. But fair warning, never fall for that BS. College football is a business. I hope he feels this way, in his heart, but I don't believe it. So much so, it sounds like BS.

Reactions: Cosmos and Kmase21
Then why should he change?
Because it isn't true. College football is a business. If PSU puts together a couple of loosing seasons (and I certainly don't wish or for-see that) CJF will be fired and his "family" methodology will not be true even if he believes it to be true. CJF simply does not have the power to make it true.

Pet Peeve alert!

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg
Get off my lawn!

Reactions: L.A.Lion
Do you yell at people helping old ladies cross the street? How about people helping stray puppies? :)
no, helping old ladies is finite...the four greatest lies of all time (that are not sexual in nature)
  1. I am from the government and I am here to help you
  2. Communism will make all people equal
  3. You need to fully commit to the Word of the Lord (at least, my interpretation of the word)
  4. We are family (when we are not)

Pet Peeve alert!

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg

Rutgers used to play the "family" card and see where it got them. You can't make 100 or so people like each other. Probably a lot easier to motivate them to want to kick the shit out of the other team.

Reactions: Cosmos
Do you yell at people helping old ladies cross the street? How about people helping stray puppies? :)

Can't recall the last time I saw someone helping an old lady cross the street.

Rutgers used to play the "family" card and see where it got them. You can't make 100 or so people like each other. Probably a lot easier to motivate them to want to kick the shit out of the other team.
Plus, CJF negotiated his salary to just under $6m per year. As a business person, that is just fine by me. he's worth every penny. that's the way it works. But if you were truly in it "for the kids" you could do this for a hell of a lot less, set yourself and your kids up for the rest of their lives, and let the rest work for other charitable things. CJF may give most of it away, IDK. But he negotiated this like a bandit. But, sorry, if my kid was a blue chipper, I'd stop him mid sentence and say "please get back to telling me about the educational programs and plans to develop my son into a football player. I'll handle the "family" part. Thank you."

Very good piece with one exception. Of course, the author had to get in the obligatory "He changed the culture" comment. So hackneyed and just not true.
Agreed...and, again, I love CJF...but we once had a coach that took far less money than the going rate and he didn't even have a contract.

We Are.

No one that knows anything about any level of football thinks the college game and NFL game are identical. No one.

No one that knows anything about any level of football thinks the college game and NFL game are identical. No one.

What I meant by that is the relationship aspect. I figured that was known, my mistake.

Very good piece with one exception. Of course, the author had to get in the obligatory "He changed the culture" comment. So hackneyed and just not true.

The elder Wallace, CEO of a nonprofit, cherished the education he got from his time as a guard playing for offensive line coach Jeff Bleamer at The Citadel. “He taught us some things about being a man,” Wallace said. “Yeah, a lot of it was through football, but all of it related to life. That was invaluable.”

It's enough to make me wonder how Jeff Bleamer turned out to be the type coach Wallace describes after playing for Penn State before CJF "changed the culture."

Because it isn't true. College football is a business. If PSU puts together a couple of loosing seasons (and I certainly don't wish or for-see that) CJF will be fired and his "family" methodology will not be true even if he believes it to be true. CJF simply does not have the power to make it true.
I understand where you are coming from but disagree. I think he'd be fired either way, family preach or not, if he has continuous losing seasons.

Reactions: Obliviax
I understand where you are coming from but disagree. I think he'd be fired either way, family preach or not, if he has continuous losing seasons.
Agree...I negotiate a lot of contracts for my company. I would never say to a client "hey, we are going to treat you like family!" because they will say "put it in the contract!". The ubiquitous term that is used is "what if you get his by a bus." The point being, if a commitment cannot survive the individuals involved for the term of the agreement don't make the commitment. CJF cannot tell, with certainty, that they will be treated like family from 2019 through 2024. So that, in and of itself, is BS.

Then you have the other university's priorities over some four star kid from VA. So again, we can agree to disagree....but I am telling you, when someone says that to me, I say "put it in writing or shut the F up".

Reactions: PearlSUJam
This is why I don't get too upset over the losses any more, because we do it the right away and I am very proud of that. Except for MSU. That was horseshit.

The elder Wallace, CEO of a nonprofit, cherished the education he got from his time as a guard playing for offensive line coach Jeff Bleamer at The Citadel. “He taught us some things about being a man,” Wallace said. “Yeah, a lot of it was through football, but all of it related to life. That was invaluable.”

It's enough to make me wonder how Jeff Bleamer turned out to be the type coach Wallace describes after playing for Penn State before CJF "changed the culture."
Did not realize Jeff Bleamer was a Penn State graduate - good catch!

Last edited:
Reactions: We Are . . .
Pet Peeve alert!

CCF1ZS4XIAIGIXf.jpg

It worked for the Pirates in ‘79.

no, helping old ladies is finite...the four greatest lies of all time (that are not sexual in nature)
  1. I am from the government and I am here to help you
  2. Communism will make all people equal
  3. You need to fully commit to the Word of the Lord (at least, my interpretation of the word)
  4. We are family (when we are not)
You forgot the check is in the mail.

Reactions: Obliviax
Plus, CJF negotiated his salary to just under $6m per year. As a business person, that is just fine by me. he's worth every penny. that's the way it works. But if you were truly in it "for the kids" you could do this for a hell of a lot less, set yourself and your kids up for the rest of their lives, and let the rest work for other charitable things. CJF may give most of it away, IDK. But he negotiated this like a bandit. But, sorry, if my kid was a blue chipper, I'd stop him mid sentence and say "please get back to telling me about the educational programs and plans to develop my son into a football player. I'll handle the "family" part. Thank you."
As a parent of a D-1 athlete, I would very much like the family part of his message. When you’re handing your kid over to someone they will spend more time with than their family for the next four years, you want to feel like they care about them as more than just an athlete. But that’s just me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT