ADVERTISEMENT

How we can reconcile the rifts in the college wrestling community

thefanswin

Gold Member
May 10, 2021
Even the most casual fan of college wrestling understands the importance of the rivalry between Iowa and Penn State. But at what point does a rivalry devolve into something counterproductive, something hateful? I'd argue we've already reached that point of no return and the results have been disastrous for our sport's unity. The RTC transfers, the negative college recruiting, the animus in the crowds, the bad blood between athletes and fans alike. It's gone too far.

In today's polarized political climate everything is "us versus them", but it doesn't have to be that way. This is why I'm proposing a solution designed to bring the college wrestling community back together: the creation of a Unity team that will teach people no matter if they're black and gold or blue and white we're ultimately all one race– the human race.

Here are some Pro's to a Unity team:

-By combining the Penn State and Iowa rosters the Unity team would be an automatic favorite to win the NCAA team title in 2022. If the Hawkeye and Nittany Lion fanbases could win a title together through teamwork they might realize how much they share in common. Namely, a love of college wrestling.

-An incredible opportunity for wrestle-offs. Because these teams (team) have the #1 or #2 ranked wrestler at a few weights (133, 141, 174, etc.) watching these squads determine who would represent the Unity team would be like watching the NCAA finals before the season even started! Sign me up for a front row seat.

-Improving parity in the sport. What might appear to be a downside in benching the loser of these wrestle offs is actually an upside for every other team competing next year. By eliminating a top 10 wrestler at every weight so he can be the practice partner for the starting wrestler on the Unity team, you greatly improve the chances of historically under-represented teams to be given a chance to All American. This will lead to fewer programs being cut as we've seen in recent years.

-Ending hate between the fanbases once and for all. Why stop at creating a Unity team for just the athletes? Fans are the backbone of the wrestling fanbase, and what the success of the Unity team will prove is that Unity works everywhere. A Unity fanbase would mean "foregn exchange trips" where children and even wives could be swapped out to learn about what the opposing cultures in Iowa City and Happy Valley are all about. When you're here, you're family and when it comes to Unity, "here" means everywhere!

Even the most casual fan of college wrestling understands the importance of the rivalry between Iowa and Penn State. But at what point does a rivalry devolve into something counterproductive, something hateful? I'd argue we've already reached that point of no return and the results have been disastrous for our sport's unity. The RTC transfers, the negative college recruiting, the animus in the crowds, the bad blood between athletes and fans alike. It's gone too far.

In today's polarized political climate everything is "us versus them", but it doesn't have to be that way. This is why I'm proposing a solution designed to bring the college wrestling community back together: the creation of a Unity team that will teach people no matter if they're black and gold or blue and white we're ultimately all one race– the human race.

-By combining the Penn State and Iowa rosters the Unity team would be an automatic favorite to win the NCAA team title in 2022. If the Hawkeye and Nittany Lion fanbases could win a title together through teamwork they might realize how much they share in common. Namely, a love of college wrestling.

-An incredible opportunity for wrestle-offs. Because these teams (team) have the #1 or #2 ranked wrestler at a few weights (133, 141, 174, etc.) watching these squads determine who would represent the Unity team would be like watching the NCAA finals before the season even started! Sign me up for a front row seat.

-Improving parity in the sport. What might appear to be a downside in benching the loser of these wrestle offs is actually an upside for every other team competing next year. By eliminating a top 10 wrestler at every weight so he can be the practice partner for the starting wrestler on the Unity team, you greatly improve the chances of historically under-represented teams to be given a chance to All American. This will lead to fewer programs being cut as we've seen in recent years.

-Ending hate between the fanbases once and for all. Why stop at creating a Unity team for just the athletes? Fans are the backbone of the wrestling fanbase, and what the success of the Unity team will prove is that Unity works everywhere. A Unity fanbase would mean "foregn exchange trips" where children and even wives could be swapped out to learn about what the opposing cultures in Iowa City and Happy Valley are all about. When you're here, you're family and when it comes to Unity, "here" means everywhere!
TLDR. The Sting vs Bryan Adams post did the same job more quickly. :)

giphy.gif

Penn State and Iowa wrestling fans respect each other's programs.
The hateful shit is a dozen or so people on a couple message boards, and is not representative of the typical fan.

and I agree, need a tldr, I quit after the first a sentence and just replied.

I like not liking Iowa. I respect their wrestlers and give them shit from time to time. It's not my fault those corn fed pricks have thin skin lol. I kid I kid. Either way I'm never rooting for iowa and I suppose they will never root for us unless one of their wrestlers makes the national team. Other than that we are and they aren't

I like not liking Iowa. I respect their wrestlers and give them shit from time to time. It's not my fault those corn fed pricks have thin skin lol. I kid I kid. Either way I'm never rooting for iowa and I suppose they will never root for us unless one of their wrestlers makes the national team. Other than that we are and they aren't
I will say that there are a couple of Iowa fans on here that I've come to like and would have no problem buying them a drink and talking wrestling. I think both fan bases are extremely passionate about wrestling which feeds the rivalry and I like it.

Reactions: danoftw

Yea, this adversarial relationship between fan bases hasn't worked out for professional football or baseball or even European soccer.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: pointingdogsrule

I'm sure it was 5:00 somewhere at 4:31.

Philadelphia Eagles fan here.....man I’m just hoping no one thinks unity between the Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys is a good idea. Yikes!

Did the OP suggest a... wife swap?

That's gonna be a no from me, dog.

Penn State and Iowa wrestling fans respect each other's programs.
The hateful shit is a dozen or so people on a couple message boards, and is not representative of the typical fan.

and I agree, need a tldr, I quit after the first a sentence and just replied.
Yeah and let’s be real here it’s a lot easier to deal with when the tv broadcast calls their team PA West.

I had to go to Big Ben's house yesterday for work. You talking about a monstrosity of a palace. I can assure you he doesnt need our condolences.... lol

pay attention and I don’t care that you had to unclog his toilets. . . .lol

Johnstownsteel, if you don't mind, what line of work are you in when you are not getting banned? If you have to kill me, forget it. :cool:

I'm just glad that my work is slowly returning after the pandemic killed it.

Philadelphia Eagles fan here.....man I’m just hoping no one thinks unity between the Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys is a good idea. Yikes!
Why would you combine those two teams to create what in all likelihood would be a worse team?

Johnstownsteel, if you don't mind, what line of work are you in when you are not getting banned? If you have to kill me, forget it. :cool:

I'm just glad that my work is slowly returning after the pandemic killed it.
were strip clubs closed in your area too?

There might be bad blood in college wrestling for sure.

If Penn State is bleeding, it isn’t bad, only Blue. How could anyone be more proud of group of guys; coaches, wrestlers, staff then our amazing team in how they conduct themselves and how they wrestle.

Read Rokfin..........Nailed by Cael and some other guy who knows about nails

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT