ADVERTISEMENT

Impossible not to compare our own regular season team to the 4 playoff teams.

Agree on your first point, Penn State has been Hell for QB development for as long as I can remember, pre-Franklin too.

Strongly disagree on your second point. I don't think Beau has been mostly running "gadget" plays. He has been productive at the end of games this year and his running ability set up a beautiful pass to Singleton in the bowl game. That is what running QB's can do to the defense. Lamar doesn't run gadget plays down in Baltimore. Now, I do wish the coaches allowed more passing and traditional style plays from Beau to learn if he can do those with consistency. Take Will Levis as an example, nobody knew if he could throw because our coaches only played him to be a battering ram....turns out he has an NFL arm and is one of the top 32 QB's in the world.
The pass to Singleton was late and behind him. It was also his only read on the play. Please can we not try to make that into a great throw.
And I agree we mismanaged Levis and likely are Allar as well. Hopefully AK fixes that. If I was Allar I wouldn't have committed here and I'd definitely be in the portal this morning but he made he decisions.
There's just no way it's an open competition.

Reactions: ram2020
The pass to Singleton was late and behind him. It was also his only read on the play. Please can we not try to make that into a great throw.
And I agree we mismanaged Levis and likely are Allar as well. Hopefully AK fixes that. If I was Allar I wouldn't have committed here and I'd definitely be in the portal this morning but he made he decisions.
There's just no way it's an open competition.
I can live with all that. I think we both agree there is a bad fit here that is exacerbated by poor coaching and development.

Reactions: LandoComando
Gotta agree with Ram2020 on this one.
Let's assume Allar is a generational talent at QB. Let's agree that he is more talented than pribula.
As you correctly note, there is a serious coaching issue. Franklin has never had any success with a pro-style QB. You may recall that Trave was kept in the pocket and struggled until the 2nd half vs Pitt when everything changed. Allar is never gonna be that guy. Allar should not be running a shotgun rpo offense. The question is why JF runs the same O regardless of the personnel. The bigger question is how a $7M/yr football coach recruits a 5* QB who is obviously not a runner and then runs an offense that needs a legit QB run threat to be successful.

As I've said many times, Franklin is everything you want in a CFB coach, except the actual FB coaching. I used to hope that he would grow in certain areas, like situational game management, but now I believe he has hit his Peter Principle and this is what we get.
I agree with the logic here. That's why it's AK's job to make it work. If he can't then Franklin has to go.

Again I think Allar should leave like Levis did. I think that's in their best interest. I wonder if Clifford also could have benefitted from leaving.

I'm glad you mentioned the interior DL, where PSU has been pedestrian with just guys for years, and Michigan, Bama, Clemson, et al have dominated recently. Those teams have bulldozers inside that crush the LOS. Our DTs are small and rather ineffective.

I do agree that our LT (Olu) can certainly start for these teams, but the rest of our OL is meh. Heavy, slow, and immobile compared to Michigan and these other teams. It all starts in the trenches before you can build outward. JF has actually recruited many high-star OL guys over several years, yet, I don't see much dominance from them. But, he has failed big time in DT's.
And not sure a Michigan has really out recruited us at DT or OT or any position really? That is the sad thing, we are so far off from a Michigan. Our QB has not progressed to anywhere close to McCarthy and although Mich is not loaded at WR they have Roman Wilson who probably was not that highly regarded as a recruit and he makes game changing plays all over the field. Our WRs are a total joke. Then there is Corum. Singleton and Allen were rated higher yet again who looks better?

We don't get what we should from our talent and I agree it is glaring on both sides of the line of scrimmage. The way Michigan was able to get to Milroe with those interior bull rushes. Even with the defense we had this year I doubt we sack Milroe more than once. We just don't match up to these teams but I believe you need to look at coaching as a key reason why. After yesterday it struck me the chasm in coaching ability from a Harbaugh vs Franklin. If Harbaugh does not go to the NFL then he will continue to beat us like a drum. We get lucky not playing them in the next couple years.

And despite our flaws, Penix at qb likely puts this PSU team into the playoffs. QB is the most important position. Washington is somewhat flawed, but has the elite QB.
No way, not with our WR's

And not sure a Michigan has really out recruited us at DT or OT or any position really? That is the sad thing, we are so far off from a Michigan. Our QB has not progressed to anywhere close to McCarthy and although Mich is not loaded at WR they have Roman Wilson who probably was not that highly regarded as a recruit and he makes game changing plays all over the field. Our WRs are a total joke. Then there is Corum. Singleton and Allen were rated higher yet again who looks better?

We don't get what we should from our talent and I agree it is glaring on both sides of the line of scrimmage. The way Michigan was able to get to Milroe with those interior bull rushes. Even with the defense we had this year I doubt we sack Milroe more than once. We just don't match up to these teams but I believe you need to look at coaching as a key reason why. After yesterday it struck me the chasm in coaching ability from a Harbaugh vs Franklin. If Harbaugh does not go to the NFL then he will continue to beat us like a drum. We get lucky not playing them in the next couple years.
Michigan has won the last three seasons largely with average to good, excluding Corum, skill players, but with a brutally effective o-line that controls games; God, in 2021, their best wr, Bell, tore his ACL in early September, and they still won the Big 10. PSU, for whatever reason, either refuses to play that style or has failed to groom players to play that style.

Remember, Michigan only won 2 games in 2000 and Harbaugh was being looked at as a failure there. However, he decided to go against the glitz of these new wave offenses and went back to the future by playing power football, and it's worked wonderfully. Michigan basically plays PSU-style football from the 1980s.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
Correct--no QB was going to be overly successful with this core of WRs
Parker Washington made the right decision for him but it hurt us
I can't disagree, but I was very, very disappointed in Allar's lack of progress this season. The sign of a special player is to be able to make players around him better, like Brady did for years with NE. I realize that he was constrained by his coaches and wrs, but Allar certainly didn't make the available talent around him better with his play.

No question...JF's standoffish and over-emphasizing the INT's for Allar was just a cover. The offense rarely, if ever, threw the ball deep downfield in every game, and the play-calling was indicative of short throws and dump offs. Allar would have been (and every offense would be better) attempting to stretch the field, removing defenders in the box by showing some sort of willingness to throw deep. Hence, enabling to run better by showing the defense more things. If Drew simply had some deep throws and was more aggressive, and say had 4 or 5 INTs, that is way better than the crap we saw. JF babies his players and we can see that by the lack of hard coaching, accountability for guys not performing, and this incessant need to point out how clean the offense plays. The offense was absolute cheeks with no flow, rhythm or identity all year.
So, like one of the other million or so conspiracies in your life.

I agree JF babies his players but holding up the no ints standard is contradictory to babying a player... It is just plain stupid ...

I can't disagree, but I was very, very disappointed in Allar's lack of progress this season. The sign of a special player is to be able to make players around him better, like Brady did for years with NE. I realize that he was constrained by his coaches and wrs, but Allar certainly didn't make the available talent around him better with his play.
I think that's easier to do in the NFL when you have pro caliber receivers
When you don't have a single receiver that knows how to create separation it's tough. You could tell that guys weren't even running routes correctly for most of the year based on what we saw from Drew on the sidelines.

So, like one of the other million or so conspiracies in your life.

I agree JF babies his players but holding up the no ints standard is contradictory to babying a player... It is just plain stupid ...
Yeah, that's right. I'm a conspiracy guy, whatever. JF coaches soft, doesn't know how to push and hold players accountable -- and it's clear his team doesn't respect him enough to play in a bowl game. JF is a smoke and mirrors guy...sorry if you think that is a conspiracy. Maybe it isn't babying, but it's an overemphasis of something stupid. Drew's comp % and in the big 3 games was atrocious...but JF thinks emphasizing INT"s is indicative of how high quality Drew is.

JF thinks emphasizing INT"s is indicative of how high quality Drew is.

I'm not sure I see it that way. Perhaps JF knew from fall camp this offense wasn't going to be high powered and that he had a very good defense. Why not ride the defense and limit turnovers along the way?

At some point, we probably shouldn't have been so risk averse.

I'm not sure I see it that way. Perhaps JF knew from fall camp this offense wasn't going to be high powered and that he had a very good defense. Why not ride the defense and limit turnovers along the way?

I agree and it makes sense if JF coached that way. With 6 min left in Columbus and we are down one score, he elects to stupidly go for it from near midfield when we should have punted and played to our strength. He also went for it vs Michigan, as he always does. His aptitude isn't ideal for these scenarios.

Yes, admittedly, I'm venting b/c this season and the way it ended has been very frustrating after last year's great end; The bowl game fiasco I think has many feeling the same way, they are at the end of the rope. Allar will be a junior already next season, and he isn't averaging 60% comp pct for his career. To me, it would be nice to know that legimately, every position is up for grabs, as JF ALWAYS says. But, we know, that just isn't true. Looking deeper into the numbers (since JF only focuses on Allars INT's), and the numbers from comp pct, to yards-per-completion, to Drew having five games under 50% is just inexcusable at this point of the program. But, that's just me.

Reactions: lazydave841
I agree and it makes sense if JF coached that way. With 6 min left in Columbus and we are down one score, he elects to stupidly go for it from near midfield when we should have punted and played to our strength. He also went for it vs Michigan, as he always does. His aptitude isn't ideal for these scenarios.

Yes, admittedly, I'm venting b/c this season and the way it ended has been very frustrating after last year's great end; The bowl game fiasco I think has many feeling the same way, they are at the end of the rope. Allar will be a junior already next season, and he isn't averaging 60% comp pct for his career. To me, it would be nice to know that legimately, every position is up for grabs, as JF ALWAYS says. But, we know, that just isn't true. Looking deeper into the numbers (since JF only focuses on Allars INT's), and the numbers from comp pct, to yards-per-completion, to Drew having five games under 50% is just inexcusable at this point of the program. But, that's just me.

I think we could have waited longer to go for it on 4th down vs OSU. We almost forced them into a mistake and scored, but we got caught holding MHJ and negated it.

Michigan, it was probably the right time. Another punt and they either run the clock out or we get the ball back and repeat things with less time on the clock.

I understand the frustration with JF and Allar, but I don't believe you go full OSU here and run Allar off by stating "you gotta win your job next year". Particularly when you have hired AK to fix things. Perhaps you split the offense evenly come spring game or alternate the QBs with the first team if you don't see the necessary improvement.

Reactions: scrivener
I think we could have waited longer to go for it on 4th down vs OSU. We almost forced them into a mistake and scored, but we got caught holding MHJ and negated it.

Michigan, it was probably the right time. Another punt and they either run the clock out or we get the ball back and repeat things with less time on the clock.

I understand the frustration with JF and Allar, but I don't believe you go full OSU here and run Allar off by stating "you gotta win your job next year". Particularly when you have hired AK to fix things. Perhaps you split the offense evenly come spring game or alternate the QBs with the first team if you don't see the necessary improvement.
You hit it on the head...but I fear (since we have seen a laundry list now) that andy will be another OC who has like 87.5% control of what he wants to do, but JF meddles and makes certain things "deal breakers." I mean, let's say after both camps, Andy feels Beau or (anyone else) is the guy and fits the best and just grasps the offense best. Do any of us really think that Drew won't be the starter next yr? Who knows..it will be an extremely critical offseason, thats for sure.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah, that's right. I'm a conspiracy guy, whatever. JF coaches soft, doesn't know how to push and hold players accountable -- and it's clear his team doesn't respect him enough to play in a bowl game. JF is a smoke and mirrors guy...sorry if you think that is a conspiracy. Maybe it isn't babying, but it's an overemphasis of something stupid. Drew's comp % and in the big 3 games was atrocious...but JF thinks emphasizing INT"s is indicative of how high quality Drew is.
And you have no reading comprehension to boot. Post nothing worth reading so Sayonara!

JF hired Yurcich so he is accountable for that big swing and miss. In my view he has one more shot with this new OC. If we aren't markedly better over the next say 3 years then start to figure out how we can can him. I agree with the contention his teams are soft, maybe unfair but it is what I see and think. We don't dominate upfront and in big games lose the line of scrimmage typically. Did you see how Michigan got like 6 sacks on Milroe who is an elusive guy. We would be lucky to get one on him.

The buyout will still be big in 3 years so maybe we are still stuck but he simply does not deliver the results we need to see in big games. Not acceptable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT