ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

Never said it was a "great performance" or many of the other statements you're attempting to attribute to me regarding the outcome. The only thing I said was that Kirk did not look terrible from a purely wrestling standpoint (as some have said) - he didn't get the outcome he was looking for, but he was not dominated by Parris (undefeated and #2 in nation) - not even close. He lost a very tight match in the 3rd period which was determined by a very poor shot on Kirk's part which imho looked like a "being gassed" induced desperation shot in an attempt to score in regulation because he could feel that he was low on energy and would lose in SV.
I could agree with that. Kerk and Parris are the 2 best in the country for a reason. Anything less than 100% (poor night's sleep, nutrition not dialed in perfectly, etc.) is going to make a world of difference when you're facing this level of competition. I certainly never said he was "dominated." Just that he didn't look good in the loss and spent too much time underneath a large body and it hurt him in the long run.

Reactions: Ski
I could agree with that. Kerk and Parris are the 2 best in the country for a reason. Anything less than 100% (poor night's sleep, nutrition not dialed in perfectly, etc.) is going to make a world of difference when you're facing this level of competition. I certainly never said he was "dominated." Just that he didn't look good in the loss and spent too much time underneath a large body and it hurt him in the long run.
We’re gonna “oil up” Kerk for this match.
The W is in the bank.

Iowa, in a rebuilding year? Prey tell?

They are #2 in the country by a good margin, are full of veterans, and brought in a likely finalist via transfer.

One could argue that after losing a national champion and starting 4 freshmen (& 3 Sophomores) we are in a rebuilding year my friend. ;-)
We're in a reloading year. They're replacing huge points at 133 with Teske or Schriever (who I don't really see either making a hugh splash at Nationals), broke even at 141 between Eierman and Woods, Murin is still there, going from AA in Young to Siebrecht (loss in points), I'll call 165 even between Bull and Kennedy, huge dropoff from Kemmerer to Nelson Brands at 174, and 184-285 is the same.

It's a rebuilding year for them because they aren't realistically in the conversation for a national championship, at least not without a perfect tournament and a collapse by PSU. But realistically, they're in a battle for 2nd-4th.

Reactions: Ski and slushhead
So since Iowa will be irrelevant, who do we start talking about now?

After that squackeye beatdown of mighty Wisconsin, I see where all of your confidence, and squackeye bravado, comes from.... Good Lord that was impressive. LMFAO 🤣🤣🤣

Almoat 12 years ago, something magical happened . . .

109369116-HM-046.jpg

. . . and a Giant Was Awoken, an intense Rivalry born.

There was a Gorilla Hulk, a Unicorn, a Q and, of course, The Truth. Supported by a Mega and some Hulk Hands, a Dynasty was in the making.

The Rival claimed it was a flash in the pan, that We would fall back to the pack. But Three Nasties were on the way. And The Coach said, “Let there be PAIN.”

654648958.jpg.jpg

The Team went on a tear and caused much despair, as its Rival looked helplessly on. It had no answer.

636205526434587183-IOW-0120-Iowa-vs-PSU-wrestling-12.jpg

Meatball was Trippin’, The Wolf and Raptor were Feastin’, Wreck Hall was Rockin’ . . . and more Championships came.

The Rival once again claimed it would all come crashing down. The Bonus Machine would graduate, making It their time to shine.

But Toes would be Tweaked.

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

Flustered, the Rival could only utter, “No mas! No mas!”

usa_today_13981933.jpg

As we begin IOWA WEEK 2023, take a moment to remember all the joy the PENN STATE program has brought to its hungry fans, all the thrills of a heated Rivalry . . . and that We continue to Reload.

The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves.
012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg

We Are . . . Nittany Nation! 😉
Slush, we speak your name.

#putturkslotlizardstobedandgolooknfordinner

...My bride and I will be attending the Varsity S social before the match and looking forward to visiting with many long- time friends , a few of whom go back almost 70 years!...
...does anyone think Brands might go for broke and wrestle Lee up at 133 to attempt to get wins at the first 2 weights?...hmmm...🤷🏽‍♂️

I wondered the same thing. And while the opinions of a bout between Lee vs RBY vary, I wondered how big an advantage it is to prepare for the match (one would know in advance, the other would not). Obviously some....a point or two? 3 or 4?

Almoat 12 years ago, something magical happened . . .

109369116-HM-046.jpg

. . . and a Giant Was Awoken, an intense Rivalry born.

There was a Gorilla Hulk, a Unicorn, a Q and, of course, The Truth. Supported by a Mega and some Hulk Hands, a Dynasty was in the making.

The Rival claimed it was a flash in the pan, that We would fall back to the pack. But Three Nasties were on the way. And The Coach said, “Let there be PAIN.”

654648958.jpg.jpg

The Team went on a tear and caused much despair, as its Rival looked helplessly on. It had no answer.

636205526434587183-IOW-0120-Iowa-vs-PSU-wrestling-12.jpg

Meatball was Trippin’, The Wolf and Raptor were Feastin’, Wreck Hall was Rockin’ . . . and more Championships came.

The Rival once again claimed it would all come crashing down. The Bonus Machine would graduate, making It their time to shine.

But Toes would be Tweaked.

bddzzhu4e89q7wiglpmm

Riddles would be Solved.

6056b2c692c3a.png

A Star would be Born.

63c0a639d39b8.image.jpg

And a Spotlight Stolen.

_SR52403.jpg

Flustered, the Rival could only utter, “No mas! No mas!”

usa_today_13981933.jpg

As we begin IOWA WEEK 2023, take a moment to remember all the joy the PENN STATE program has brought to its hungry fans, all the thrills of a heated Rivalry . . . and that We continue to Reload.

The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves.
012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg

We Are . . . Nittany Nation! 😉
Great stuff Slush!

Reactions: slushhead
...My bride and I will be attending the Varsity S social before the match and looking forward to visiting with many long- time friends , a few of whom go back almost 70 years!...
...does anyone think Brands might go for broke and wrestle Lee up at 133 to attempt to get wins at the first 2 weights?...hmmm...🤷🏽‍♂️
I have pondered the same thing, but as someone else pointed out, they can't wrestle Ayala at 125 without burning his shirt (for basically one match), and the other Iowa JVs aren't a W for them vs Steen. I think everyone in the world wants to see Lee wrestle RBY instead of starting the match with two snoozers, but I just don't see any way it's in the cards.

Reactions: mcpat
SL won’t ever wrestle RBY. Too much risk to image and legacy at this point both for SL and Iowa’s program. And much like Lee’s experiences at Iowa to date, he won’t have a say in the matter. Instead SL will match through his weight class destroying all along the way and go out being revered as Herculean. RBY would ruin that legacy if TNT decided that excuses were for wusses and bumped up their stud.

SL won’t ever wrestle RBY. Too much risk to image and legacy at this point both for SL and Iowa’s program. And much like Lee’s experiences at Iowa to date, he won’t have a say in the matter. Instead SL will match through his weight class destroying all along the way and go out being revered as Herculean. RBY would ruin that legacy if TNT decided that excuses were for wusses and bumped up their stud.
No one moves up. Last person I can remember doing that is Seth Gross. And according to this article, that match was the first time #1 at different weight classes wrestled since 1998.

Is this really something we're going to use as slight against Spencer?

Exactly. It’s a foregone conclusion that RBY is a level above Spencer Lee.

No one moves up. Last person I can remember doing that is Seth Gross. And according to this article, that match was the first time #1 at different weight classes wrestled since 1998.

Of course. We have to tear down the last remaining elite wrestler for Iowa to prove the Nittany Lions are superior in every way. It’s not enough to be a dynasty. All of our opponents must be told over and over they will never be good enough to even touch a 1st place trophy.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

A team did it earlier this year and won the dual, I think two or three weights went up.
I wish my memory was better so I could remember who.

In three, two, one, JTS will fill in the info!

Last edited:
Kerk will be best when it matters in March!

A team did it earlier this year and won the dual, I think two or three weights went up.
I wish my memory was better so I could remember who.
Guys ranked in top 5 moved up to wrestle guys ranked in the teens and 20s.

Not quite the same as #1 moving up to face another #1.

Reactions: WeARE and hlstone

It's definitely not a slight against Spencer, and to be honest, if Ayala could wrestle and not burn the shirt, I think that there is a chance it could have happened. If Ayala could go as a clear favorite against Steen, then moving Spencer up to take a chance against RBY could be the winning margin for a major upset in the dual, so it would make sense for TnT to endorse the match as well. As it stands, Iowa doesn't have a 125 JV who could step in and lock down the 125 points, so it's a benefit to Penn St, not Iowa, to have a 50-50 match between Spencer and RBY at 133, and it definitely won't happen.

From the article on Meredith-Gross:

"Once everybody got a hold of it, everybody wanted it so much. We got to the point where we were like, 'this is what the wrestling community wants and needs, so why not give it to them?'"

This is the attitude champions have. If it were only up to Spencer with no implications for the dual meet, I think he would thrive on the challenge. He's clearly out to prove this season that he's the best p4p wrestler of this generation. If that means pinning 4 straight top 10 opponents (3 first period), then that's what he's going to do. If that means bumping up to beat a #1 ranked, 2-time defending national champ at the next weight, I think he'd be eager for that challenge, too.

Reactions: js8793
Guys ranked in top 5 moved up to wrestle guys ranked in the teens and 20s.

Not quite the same as #1 moving up to face another #1.
Maybe so, but you said

No one moves up.

But I agree it happens, or happened at least, way more often in HS then college.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Of course. We have to tear down the last remaining elite wrestler for Iowa to prove the Nittany Lions are superior in every way. It’s not enough to be a dynasty. All of our opponents must be told over and over they will never be good enough to even touch a 1st place trophy.
I understand your (obvious) sensitivity. But I think a fair amount of this is just the BWI vs HR internet pissing contest in which a bunch of people on one website say that Spencer will obviously tech RBY, which leads to the other website wondering why he doesn't move up to do so.

ADVERTISEMENT