ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

It would only make sense if they were able to use Ayala who would bonus Steen pretty easily. Then (from Iowa's perspective) you pick up at least 3 from Spencer over RBY, ending up at least 7-0. But Steen would beat Aiden Harris, so you're much more likely to end up 3-3 instead of your almost guaranteed 6-3/4 lead if you stay put.

It just doesn't make sense for a dual that is 100% winnable if you win the toss ups that (again from the iowa coaches' perspective) you're going to win.

Reactions: jmadden1998
I understand your (obvious) sensitivity. But I think a fair amount of this is just the BWI vs HR internet pissing contest in which a bunch of people on one website say that Spencer will obviously tech RBY, which leads to the other website wondering why he doesn't move up to do so.
You're spot on. Will also add that alot of PSU fans have a bad taste in their mouths because so many over on HR are still accusing Cael of cheating. Parents taking payoffs ...our wrestlers on steroids..etc etc..

Reactions: Fatmarc and Ski
I understand your (obvious) sensitivity. But I think a fair amount of this is just the BWI vs HR internet pissing contest in which a bunch of people on one website say that Spencer will obviously tech RBY, which leads to the other website wondering why he doesn't move up to do so.
Oh, I get it. Anybody who claims Spencer would tech RBY is a complete homer or a complete idiot. (Most would be both, but I digress). I think it would be a very close match and seeing Spencer taken down by wrestlers multiple levels below RBY would give me pause in declaring an obvious victory. It would be a very fun match to watch but we know it ain’t happening.

It would only make sense if they were able to use Ayala who would bonus Steen pretty easily. Then (from Iowa's perspective) you pick up at least 3 from Spencer over RBY, ending up at least 7-0. But Steen would beat Aiden Harris, so you're much more likely to end up 3-3 instead of your almost guaranteed 6-3/4 lead if you stay put.

It just doesn't make sense for a dual that is 100% winnable if you win the toss ups that (again from the iowa coaches' perspective) you're going to win.
I wasn't really debating the merits or advantages of Spencer moving up for this specific dual. I wouldn't disagree with anything you or @random stated.

I was pointing out that virtually no one moves up to set up a #1 vs #1 match, whether simply for the challenge or "champion's mindset" or for a supposed strategic advantage in a dual (which I think is debatable in this case).

Reactions: Ski
Wait, did I just say we? WTF!!! Am I converting? Next thing you know I will be ending every post with WE ARE!!!!
giphy.gif

I wasn't really debating the merits or advantages of Spencer moving up for this specific dual. I wouldn't disagree with anything you or @random stated.

I was pointing out that virtually no one moves up to set up a #1 vs #1 match, whether simply for the challenge or "champion's mindset" or for a supposed strategic advantage in a dual (which I think is debatable in this case).
I was more addressing the general argument which is everywhere right now.

Oh, I get it. Anybody who claims Spencer would tech RBY is a complete homer or a complete idiot. (Most would be both, but I digress). I think it would be a very close match and seeing Spencer taken down by wrestlers multiple levels below RBY would give me pause in declaring an obvious victory. It would be a very fun match to watch but we know it ain’t happening.
I love RBY as much as any PSU fan, but nobody has figured out how to stop that tilt Spencer has this year. When he was out with the ACL surgery he must have been working his grip strength, it’s incredible. I am not sure Spencer couldn’t tilt RBY two or three times.

Reactions: jayridescarbon
I love RBY as much as any PSU fan, but nobody has figured out how to stop that tilt Spencer has this year. When he was out with the ACL surgery he must have been working his grip strength, it’s incredible. I am not sure Spencer couldn’t tilt RBY two or three times.
To get the tilt you need a takedown. Not a given. Spencer has been taken down more the RBY this year. Also Fix is a strong 133 so it is not like RBY is weak. If Spencer takes top to work for the tilt and RBY gets an escape, he is behind and having to force a shot. Not the best thing against a faster wrestler. Why risk it?

Not only taken down, but taken to his back. The extra strength (weight) of RBY in that type of a situation could be extremely dangerous for SLee.

Not only taken down, but taken to his back. The extra strength (weight) of RBY in that type of a situation could be extremely dangerous for SLee.
And RBY said he was up to 145 in the national semi ... so we can assume he wouldn't weigh 133 on the mat.

The other issue is that he is quicker than Lee was before the knee injuries, despite being heavier and stronger.

Reactions: Ski

Didn't Iowa burn some poor kids shirt for 1 match last year?

IMO moving Spencer to 133 is genius in my view. Do I think it will happen, no. Is there anything in it for Spencer, no. Could it back fire and Iowa lose both, yes but highly unlikely.

If we are all 100% honest and give Spencer his due. He is at another level and on a mission this year. Short of a devastating injury he is going to walk all the way to both the Hodge and #4, and most likely bonus throughout.

Heck even if Spencer went 133 and lost a decision to RBY, I think he still wins the Hodge, even if RBY and Carter go undefeated.

Let's look at the outcomes for the dual, which to me are compelling:

Scenario 1 leave things as is:
125 = Iowa 6
133 = PSU 4
Iowa heads into 141 up by 2

Scenario 2 send out Drake
125 = Iowa 3+
133 = Iowa 3 (I hate to say it but this is a 50/50 and after I remove my blue and white goggles, I have to lean Spencer)
Iowa heads into 141 by 6+

By most accounts 141, 157, 165 and HWT can go either way, with 149 and 197 up for some debate as well. Even with my Goggles off I see us taking at least 4 of 6 of those.

With a 6+ point Iowa advantage heading into 141, they negate that 4 of 6 match deficit, which won't quite be enough, but if Iowa has a 'lights out' night, those 6+ probably secure the dual.

IMO, let's put it this way, without Spencer going 133, I see Iowa with no (zero) realistic chance of winning the dual.

Is that enough to make Brands do something crazy? He is already bat shit crazy, so there is your answer.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Cael holding Haines' redshirt on Sunday was diabolical. TNT struggle with strategy and prefer to just grab a bigger hammer when attempting to solve issues. Extra layers of complication such as the availability of a true freshman phenom will blow them away, Cael knows this and takes great joy in setting traps for his prey.

Cael holding Haines' redshirt on Sunday was diabolical. TNT struggle with strategy and prefer to just grab a bigger hammer when attempting to solve issues. Extra layers of complication such as the availability of a true freshman phenom will blow them away, Cael knows this and takes great joy in setting traps for his prey.
After Beau dispatches Real and SVN takes out Max, Cael will send out BearClaw to take on Cobe.
He will hand off the wondering to Tan Tom and Paddy.

Did Cael tell you that? Do you write movie trailers for a living? This is very dramatic.

Of course. We have to tear down the last remaining elite wrestler for Iowa to prove the Nittany Lions are superior in every way. It’s not enough to be a dynasty. All of our opponents must be told over and over they will never be good enough to even touch a 1st place trophy.
Come on, man. This is sports. I’m a Red Sox fan so I despise the Yankees. I’m a Penn State fan so I hate Iowa and I enjoy poking fun at them including the Brands Bros antics and utter lack of emotional control and denigrating the boring push, push, call for stalling style that many of their athletically challenged guys employ.

All the Iowa bashing on here can be viewed as a compliment, as it indicates we consider Iowa to be our biggest rival. (Though some might believe otherwise).

It seems as though you don’t like tough fandom.

Didn't Iowa burn some poor kids shirt for 1 match last year?

IMO moving Spencer to 133 is genius in my view. Do I think it will happen, no. Is there anything in it for Spencer, no. Could it back fire and Iowa lose both, yes but highly unlikely.

If we are all 100% honest and give Spencer his due. He is at another level and on a mission this year. Short of a devastating injury he is going to walk all the way to both the Hodge and #4, and most likely bonus throughout.

Heck even if Spencer went 133 and lost a decision to RBY, I think he still wins the Hodge, even if RBY and Carter go undefeated.

Let's look at the outcomes for the dual, which to me are compelling:

Scenario 1 leave things as is:
125 = Iowa 6
133 = PSU 4
Iowa heads into 141 up by 2

Scenario 2 send out Drake
125 = Iowa 3+
133 = Iowa 3 (I hate to say it but this is a 50/50 and after I remove my blue and white goggles, I have to lean Spencer)
Iowa heads into 141 by 6+

By most accounts 141, 157, 165 and HWT can go either way, with 149 and 197 up for some debate as well. Even with my Goggles off I see us taking at least 4 of 6 of those.

With a 6+ point Iowa advantage heading into 141, they negate that 4 of 6 match deficit, which won't quite be enough, but if Iowa has a 'lights out' night, those 6+ probably secure the dual.

IMO, let's put it this way, without Spencer going 133, I see Iowa with no (zero) realistic chance of winning the dual.

Is that enough to make Brands do something crazy? He is already bat shit crazy, so there is your answer.
Yeah, they did it to Cullen Schreiver, although he actually redshirted the 20-21 season, which then became the free season allowing him to potentially redshirt again last year. They pulled his shirt last year to wrestle in 2 matches (I think while there were rumors floating around that ADS was going to be dismissed from the program). It is possible that he told TnT "hey look, I'm not a 6 year college guy, so go ahead an pull it", though, too, which would not apply to Ayala.

I don't think they are going to do that with Ayala this year, though, and without Ayala in the lineup at 125, the scenario doesn't make sense any more. If they could use Ayala, then they would be favored (on paper at least) in the first 4 matches and could have a 12 or 13-0 lead heading into 157. It would be a move that would significantly increase their chances of winning, but again, without Ayala, it falls apart because Steen would be favored against the other guys they have.

LOL he would never get to the tilt on RBY!!

After Beau dispatches Real and SVN takes out Max, Cael will send out BearClaw to take on Cobe.
He will hand off the wondering to Tan Tom and Paddy.
What is all this Levi-related master manipulation from Cael supposed to do?

Both Iowa and OSU seem to have their 157 guy. I'm not sure what is going to happen if Levi does or doesn't take the mat for that all important 6th time.

Is memory serving me correctly? In past victories, it seems Kerk picked Mason apart with quick snatch singles but this match he never even really looked for that. Will have to go back and look at last year's matches.
I already said that right after the match!

what is the trap supposed to be here? brands is gonna send siebrecht out regardless lol

some of you guys' cael worship is creepy. he's just doing the normal thing of keeping his options open with the redshirt. hardly "diabolical" lmao

C
What is all this Levi-related master manipulation from Cael supposed to do?

Both Iowa and OSU seem to have their 157 guy. I'm not sure what is going to happen if Levi does or doesn't take the mat for that all important 6th time.
Carl’s Samaria mind tricks are working on you too

what is the trap supposed to be here? brands is gonna send siebrecht out regardless lol

some of you guys' cael worship is creepy. he's just doing the normal thing of keeping his options open with the redshirt. hardly "diabolical" lmao
TNT are trying to figure this move out too

LOL! Right?

Come on, man. This is sports. I’m a Red Sox fan so I despise the Yankees. I’m a Penn State fan so I hate Iowa and I enjoy poking fun at them including the Brands Bros antics and utter lack of emotional control and denigrating the boring push, push, call for stalling style that many of their athletically challenged guys employ.

All the Iowa bashing on here can be viewed as a compliment, as it indicates we consider Iowa to be our biggest rival. (Though some might believe otherwise).

It seems as though you don’t like tough fandom.
I don’t mind banter but his comment went beyond that. It was close to Jim Jones territory. I don’t want anyone drinking the kool-aid and dying before the dual on Friday. Very creepy.

Reactions: js8793
You're gonna make me cry...

He really is a Drama Queen - Good Lord. Be nice if he could save some of those self-righteous, over-dramatized lectures for some of his squackeye friends given some of the crap they post about "Carl" and the PSU wrestling program.

@js8793 , @jmadden1998

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember Tom having both Teske and Schriever ready to go at a recent dual (Purdue?) but not revealing who would actually go until that guy (Teske) took the mat. Wonder what the strategy was.

Reactions: nitlion6
@js8793 , @jmadden1998

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember Tom having both Teske and Schriever ready to go at a recent dual (Purdue?) but not revealing who would actually go until that guy (Teske) took the mat. Wonder what the strategy was.
Hold on now @slushhead, surely the twin nitwits aren't capable of employing such a DIABOLICAL strategy like weighing in multiple wrestlers???? Only Cael can conceive of such MASTER STRATEGY

ADVERTISEMENT