ADVERTISEMENT

IT’s IOWA WEEK!! 2023 Edition

I'm hearing that Real woods can't wrestle due to his cousin was the ref of his match last weekend.

Let's say they do a pay per view at the end of the year. Thoughts on other match ups? Marinelli vs Joseph,

Still remember the first time I saw it - my first wrestling coach had footage of it from the Olympics. Taylor (was an MSU HWT) was the Olympic Favorite (he was also Jimmy Carr's roommate on the US National Team at Olympics) - anyway our coach showed us the move to demonstrate the amount of commitment it took for the German, Dietrich, to do this move. You can't bail on what he did - the amount of strength, skill, commitment and just flat courage, it takes to hit that move on someone the size of Taylor (who was 400 lbs at the time, I believe) is just indescribable.
Interestingly, Dietrich had the move planned. He and Taylor met in the Olympic village, Dietrich put Taylor in a bear hug and was able to lock his hands, at that point he decided to go for the move in their match.

Interestingly, Dietrich had the move planned. He and Taylor met in the Olympic village, Dietrich put Taylor in a bear hug and was able to lock his hands, at that point he decided to go for the move in their match.

In addition, this happened in their Greco-Roman match.... and Taylor actually beat Dietrich in the Freestyle draw...

Taylor ended up taking a Bronze in Freestyle (he was the Favorite for Gold) losing his only match to the Soviet in the Semis where the mat Official later admitted that he purposely cheated in favor of the Soviet because he felt Taylor's size gave him an unfair advantage.... The mat Official was later suspended for his admission and booted from officiating at International Medal Level. Here is a brief summary of the incident:

......and won the bronze medal at the 1972 Olympics. He lost only to Alexander Medved. It appeared Medved was stalling, but the referee awarded a point to the Soviet, charging Taylor with a lack of action. Later admitting that he felt sorry for Medved because of Taylor's size, the referee was dismissed from the Olympic tournament and banned from international officiating.

Amusing that the Official specifically cheated in regards to Stalling (not only didn't call stalling on Medved who clearly was - had initiated zero offensive attacks, but awarded a deciding point to Medved by calling stalling on Taylor, because he felt Taylor's size was unfair and this was his way of dispensing justice for the unfairness). So much for all the people who say Officials aren't heavily biased and never use stalling as a tool to express their bias.

BTW, I looked it up - Taylor weighed 415 pounds during the 1972 Olympics, so being able get his arms around Taylor would only contribute fractionally to Dietrich's commitment level. Think about attempting to suplay something weighing 415 pounds - it's insane and why the move has lived in legendary status since he did it.

Can one of you rulebook guys find a rule that says, "If your cousin refs one of your matches, you can't wrestle the next weekend?"
I’m hearing Cael’s third cousin twice removed on his mothers side reffed the Michigan dual so everyone for Penn St who wrestled in that dual has to sit out Friday.

I’m hearing Cael’s third cousin twice removed on his mothers side reffed the Michigan dual so everyone for Penn St who wrestled in that dual has to sit out Friday.
Can they still shake hands after the match?

I am hearing RBY’s cousin is going to ref his match with Spencer on Friday. Tom and Terry wouldn’t have a problem with that, would they? Clearly not an issue.

I am hearing RBY’s cousin is going to ref his match with Spencer on Friday. Tom and Terry wouldn’t have a problem with that, would they? Clearly not an issue.
Actually I am reffing the match on Friday, JT is my mat judge and we can guarentee Carter wins by either MD or disqualification for stalling. Spencer is losing for an illegal hold, we will figure out which one at the time. Iowa will score -3 points, one team deduction for Tom, Terry and Lar (just because, no matter if he doesn't leave the Murin's house because he is too busy making portal recruiting calls).
Should be a fun night.
Drinks on the wino after.

Crazy idea, what if Bear Claw wrestles? PSU could lose. Cael doesn't care about wins/losses. Its all about match ups and seeing the guy. Then come NCAA's and blow out.

Exactly. He was 159-0 for a reason. He didn't look like he enjoyed losing to ASU and Iowa to my eyes.
giphy.gif

Exactly. He was 159-0 for a reason. He didn't look like he enjoyed losing to ASU and Iowa to my eyes.
I guess what I'm thinking and what I write doesn't come out right. I know Cael cares about wins and losses, but they don't matter as much as NCAA Titles.

Brands is playing 4D chess, he wants to duck Bartlett (don't risk your rank, make him wrestle Hardy at Big Tens) so he had Real wrestle a match last weekend knowing full well his cousin was his referee in that match, which evidently DQs him from this match.

This worries me, Brands is starting to think of everything.

Reactions: ccdiver
Willie has Iowa winning 18-17. I believe he has Spencer, Woods, Murin, Kennedy and Cassioppi with Ws.
Willie’s Paid Iowa Hater check is just late. Once he gets paid he’ll update his prediction to a blowout for the good guys.

Brands is playing 4D chess, he wants to duck Bartlett (don't risk your rank, make him wrestle Hardy at Big Tens) so he had Real wrestle a match last weekend knowing full well his cousin was his referee in that match, which evidently DQs him from this match.

This worries me, Brands is starting to think of everything.
Has be hard for Tom to find opponents since the only style of chess he plays uses dice.

ADVERTISEMENT